PDA

View Full Version : Who wants more Expanded Universe!!??

Dark Lord Kakorotto
09-28-2002, 11:54 AM
I personally love the new saga collection. But I find myself wanting more. I want more Expanded Universe! Wouldn't it be sweet to have Jedi Knight Solo children. How about Kyp Durron? Or Exar Kun? Or Corran Horn? hasbro could put what novel or comic or whatever the character is from instead of the movie. Or hasbro could go before the movies and make Ulic Qel-Droma or Naga Sadow. Admiral Pellaeon? I would pay good money for a three pack of the teenage Jedi Knight Solo children or some of the new Jedi Order.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-28-2002, 12:12 PM
I would love to see a Kyakhta and Bulgan two-pack, maybe with a suubatar. And a non-crazy Luminara could get released at the same time, perhaps with a base of the floating sand thing (these are from The Approaching Storm). Also, I'd like to have a Bant figure, and a Xanatos, and some other characters from Jedi Apprentice series. Also, some Demolition figures, like Wade Vox, Quagga, and Pugwis, should be released with holograms of their respective vehicles (i.e. Landspeeder, ATT, Podracer). I'm not too partial to EU, but the ones I've listed above shoild be made. :)

Chiesa
09-28-2002, 01:14 PM
Very interesting thread here I see... I really hope that 2003 or maybe even 2004 could be another EU year... Kyp Durron, the Solo twins, and Chewbacca's nephew (or is it cousin?:)) Perhaps another one inline who be maybe a Mara Jade and perhaps a Jedi Master Luke..

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

Darth Trymybestus
09-28-2002, 01:21 PM
I think I'd like more EU if they're done like Obi Wan Kenobi - Cold Weather gear in the POTJ range, that's such a cool figure!
I wouldn't mind seeing a Count Dooku Jedi Master figure and also a more accurate Kyle Katarn figure :)

Chiesa
09-28-2002, 01:26 PM
Very interesting thread here I see... I really hope that 2003 or maybe even 2004 could be another EU year... Kyp Durron, the Solo twins, and Chewbacca's nephew (or is it cousin?:)) Perhaps another one inline who be maybe a Mara Jade and perhaps a Jedi Master Luke..

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

QLD
09-28-2002, 02:19 PM
MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!!!!

THE ONLY THING I WANT MORE, IS MORE LANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Battle Droid
09-28-2002, 03:27 PM
I want more from the films first.

Exspecially a Pilot Battle Droid, I've been waiting years for one.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-28-2002, 03:41 PM
I want a hell of a lot more stuff from the movies than from EU, but if they make EU stuff, they should make it good. :)

187-Maul
09-28-2002, 03:55 PM
sorry to disturb you guys but this is the wrong section:crazed:
-just kidding-

I would basicly want some resculpts of the EU characters done before like Mara Jade, Darktrooper, Luke Jedi Master etc.
and maybe a Count Dooku Jedi Master
oh and a Kir Kanos:D

Jargo
09-28-2002, 05:51 PM
No. Movies first then other stuff when their imaginations start to wander and the line is getting tired. It's bad enough with the concept stuff creeping in but with EU as well... just, no.

No offense to EU fans but, no. :)

Prince Xizor
09-28-2002, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I think they should make some more movie characters, unless they want to make Guri, then I'm all for it.

Turbowars
09-28-2002, 08:02 PM
No way, shape or form! As Jargo and Xizor stated above, all Classics should be produced, then Hasbro can go buck wild with EU crap that I wont like much, but will probably buy. I'm a sucker, a perfect Hasbro customer. Hasbro CEO--- Hey lets package dirt with a SW logo on it, ME----hey I'll buy it! JK, but it's getting real bad.

2-1B
09-28-2002, 08:07 PM
As I don't want any EU in the first place, I can't say that I want more EU. ;)

Old Fossil
09-28-2002, 08:33 PM
Better get a new 'Ultimate' Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker first than some EU business. And R5-D4, for God's sake! (NOT that Disney droid merely resembling him, either.)

InsaneJediGirl
09-28-2002, 09:06 PM
More Expanded Universe!!!I would love to see E.U. before another Tatooine Luke or Darth Maul.

Figures I would like to see are:

New Mara Jade
Darsha Assant
Bant
Lowbacca
Jaina,Jacen,and Anakin Solo(NJO period)
Vong
Corran Horn
Ky Durron
Cigihal

And many more.Hopefully the end of 2003/Early 2004 will be a good year for making E.U. figures.If you dont like E.U.,dont buy it:DI'd rather see E.U. before some Alien we saw on screen for a nanosecond.

thespar
09-28-2002, 10:36 PM
heck in a way we will be getting a eu figure. The Aynula was eu look before her few mintues in AOTC.

bigbarada
09-28-2002, 10:43 PM
I think the only EU item that I would really love to get would be Bossk's Hound's Tooth starship. As long as Hasbro doesn't make it half-&$% like they did the Outrider, it would be awesome.

IG-88's and Zuckuss' ships would be cool too.:)

Dark Lord Kakorotto
09-29-2002, 12:48 AM
I'm all for making the movie figures first but before they run it into the ground by going Batman Figures on Star Wars by inventing scenarios like cold weather obi or jedi training qui-gon. They should stop and think of the fans who read and recognize that the novels have many great characters that are a hundred times better then some alien that is seen for 3 seconds on film.

Dark Lord Kakorotto
09-29-2002, 12:51 AM
InsaneJediGirl has the right idea

Dark Lord Kakorotto
09-29-2002, 12:56 AM
Twodot Tatooine has spoken one of my deepest desires as well.
Enough with the farm boy crap! Enough with the wimpy Bespin Crap! Though the new Bespin Luke is beautiful. It portrays Luke at that point perfectly. A weak, beaten-to-a-bloody-stub Jedi wanna-be. I want a magnificent sculpt of Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker with metal hilt removable blade lightsaber, magnet in belt and a nylon/cloth cloak that can't support itself! That would be a dream come true!

Beast
09-29-2002, 03:01 AM
I would like to see the focus for now to remain on the movies. Since there is so many charecters that haven't been produced from E1 and E2, and still many from the OT as well. Maybe once they get more of the charecters finished from them, they can move on to do some EU stuff.

The only thing that I feel is currently needed from the realm of EU is a Bothan figure. Since they are mentioned in ROTJ, and are one of the races for the upcoming Star Wars Galaxies MMORPG. Everyone else has a figure that represents their race choice, but the Bothan. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
09-29-2002, 03:05 AM
I always support more Expanded Universe if they are new characters from COMICS or BOOKS! - or lost scenes.

I really NEED the following figures for my dioramas:

Biggs Darklighter, lost scenes

Gallandro
Hasti
Badure
Skynnx
Zim the Despot's War Droid

Imp. Cmdr. Nyklas
Mallatabuck
Itchi
Lumpy

Guri
Jix
Leebo
Spiker
Big Gizz
Xizor's ship - the Virago vehicle
Guri's ship - the Stinger vehicle

Capt Gilliad Palleon
Rukh - Noghri
Kahbarakh - Nogri
Talon Karrde
Aves
Fynn Torve
Shada D'Kal
Joruus C'Boath
Noghri Warrior
Leia - Jedi Apprentice

Executer Sedriss
Executer Nyst
Palpatine's new-formed Clone

Kyp Durron
Cilgahl

Wedge Antilles
Baron Fel
Ysanne Isaard
Tycho Celchu
Hobbie
Janson
Corran Horn
Qryl Qigg
Nevawra Yen
Ibatisam

Tamith Kai
Brakiss
Tenel Ka
Jacen Solo
Jaina Solo
Anakin Solo
Lowbacca w. EmTeeDee
Tahiri Viehl
Zekk
Nola Tarkona
Czethros
Alandja Gallandro

Kir Kanos
Mirith Sinn
Karnor Jax
Zannibar Cannibal
Kir as Keneth Kil Bounty Hunter
Nom Anor (vong)

Yuuzhan Vong Warrior
Jedi Jacen Solo
Jedi Anakin Solo
Jedi Jaina Solo
Rogue Squadron Jaina Solo
Tycho Celchu
Gavin Darklighter
Shadeo-Shai (vong)
Tsahvong Lah (vong)
Voxynn Beast
Luke Skywalker Jedi Master
Han Solo (NJO)
Corran Horn
Jagged Fel
Claw-Craft (TIE Fighter vehicle)
Coral Skipper (Vong starfighter)
Gen. Wedge Antilles (NJO)
Mara Jade (NJO)

Xanatos
young Obi-Wan
Bant
Siri Taichi
Siri Taichi (Jedi Knight)
Ona Nobis (bounty hunter)
The Dark Woman
A'sharad Hett
Ki-Adi Mundi (Jedi Emissary)
Blood Carver
Cmdr. Wilhuff Tarkin
Yinchorri Warrior
Villie
Quinlan Vos
Master Tholme
Darsha Assant
Master Bonderro
I-Five
Lorn Pavon
Lex
Mighella (night sister)

I know I forgot a lot of them!

karinations
09-29-2002, 03:36 AM
I'd rather see stuff from the films before EU.

-V-
http://www.karinations.com

Turbowars
09-29-2002, 09:54 AM
So, some of you don't want an OT figure that appeared for 3 seconds, but you want one that never existed? Shame on you. JK LOL. I never cared for EU, so I would love to see Figures that appeared for 1/10 of a second before Hasbro wastes their time on EU.

Dark Lord Kakorotto
09-29-2002, 10:55 AM
all of them never existed

Turbowars
09-29-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Dark Lord Kakorotto
all of them never existed On film, genius :rolleyes: :crazed:

Dark Lord Kakorotto
09-29-2002, 01:36 PM
cigihal would be awesome

Wolfwood319
09-29-2002, 02:12 PM
Uhhh....NO!

There are so many figures of characters from the movies that I'd rather see made.

Tycho
09-29-2002, 02:24 PM
I want to see both. My CATEGORIES I want to see done are:

all VINTAGE figures made by Kenner remade (they have 15 to go)

all movie characters especially the cool-looking 3-second BACKGROUND CHARACTERS made.

all COMIC and BOOK expanded universe characters being made - including main movie characters in EU outfits, but ones from the official continuity, aged appropriately. But moreso, I want to see new alien species made, and main characters from the EU, especially ones as important as Han and Leia's children!

Adam
09-29-2002, 08:28 PM
Tycho your list is pretty near perfect if not one thing: no Wraiths! I thought you would have them after you listed some of the Rogues. On that note, HEY HASBRO! WHERE IS MY WEDGE ANTILLES IN TIE FIGHTER PILOT UNIFORM , WITH ATTACHABLE EWOK!?

I am so serious. Make it... please..

Tycho
09-30-2002, 01:53 AM
ADAM: Piggy would be great, wouldn't he? But there's no way a Gamorrean would fit in a Hasbro X-wing!

(for those who don't know - this Gamorrean was surgically altered in an attempt to make more intelligent slave-warriors out of "lesser sentient species" but the experiment failed and the Gamorrean was forever different from his clan-mates. With no where else to go, he became a Rebel. It's not a stupid story made up just for people who like Gamorreans. But there is some humor there - as well as tragedy - of course.)

QLD
09-30-2002, 01:57 AM
I like EU just as much if not more than the films. I especially prefer it to the prequels.

I wish they would release them in a seperate line. That way all the EU haters won't get their panties in a wad because they feel they have to buy every single figure ever made.

bigbarada
09-30-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
ADAM: Piggy would be great, wouldn't he? But there's no way a Gamorrean would fit in a Hasbro X-wing!

(for those who don't know - this Gamorrean was surgically altered in an attempt to make more intelligent slave-warriors out of "lesser sentient species" but the experiment failed and the Gamorrean was forever different from his clan-mates. With no where else to go, he became a Rebel. It's not a stupid story made up just for people who like Gamorreans. But there is some humor there - as well as tragedy - of course.)

I don't know, I always thought that idea was kind of stupid. Why not just say that there are intelligent Gamorreans out there who are capable of flying starfighters? Why does one of these guys have to be "surgically altered" to make him smart? That's one of the main things I don't like about EU, it tends to be somewhat two-dimensional.

Anyways, most of those "3 seconds of screentime" characters have their own EU stories also (Ephant Mon, Tessek, IG-88, Dengar, etc) so why are the EU fans complaining?

QLD
09-30-2002, 02:14 AM
I'm not complaining about anything. I just want them to make EU figures in ADDITION to movie figures. Best of both worlds. :D

I always thought Piggy's story was pretty good. The movies set up Gamorreans as being big and stupid. The Empire biologically experimenting on creatures seems like something they would do.

rynobot
09-30-2002, 02:17 AM
Maybe cause EU fans like the EU and the EU charcters and would like to play with EU toys so they can reinact EU scenes or make there own EU scenes up.

Beast
09-30-2002, 02:19 AM
But why would the Empire want the Gamorreans smarter? The Empire doesn't like aliens, and they certainly aren't going to want intellegent more likely to rebel aliens as slaves. If they were really going to experiment on Gamorreans for slave labor, you think they would want to make them easier to control. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
09-30-2002, 02:22 AM
But why would they name a Gammorrean 'Piggy' ? :p

rynobot
09-30-2002, 02:23 AM
Lucky for me Jar Jar I can easliy forget everything you just said.

Sernity now, Sernity now, Sernity now.

QLD
09-30-2002, 02:23 AM
they like using aliens for their nefarious purposes

and, maybe they didn't WANT an army of smart gamorreans

but they experimented on THEM to see if it COULD be done

because it WAS an alien

and they could THEN do it to THEIR people

QLD
09-30-2002, 02:24 AM
Also, they didn't name him. He didn't have a "name".

He was only known as something like QL4571287GH2 when he was in the bio labs.

He was given the nickname Piggy by people for "obvious" reasons.

bigbarada
09-30-2002, 02:51 AM
In all actuality a Gamorrean X-Wing Pilot would be just silly enough to warrant a purchase.:D

So, how about that Hutt Jedi?:crazed: He'd be carved up like a Christmas turkey if he ever went up against someone like Darth Maul.

rynobot
09-30-2002, 02:55 AM
and before we saw AOTC we would think that Yoda would have been too.

Beast
09-30-2002, 02:57 AM
EU = "Skippy the Jedi Droid". Enough said. :crazed: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
09-30-2002, 03:00 AM
"flopping fish out of water"

That's the only image that comes to mind when I think of a Hutt Jedi in a lightsaber duel.:)

I think most people assumed that Yoda would fight like a spastic frog; but a Hutt just seems to defy logic.

rynobot
09-30-2002, 03:04 AM
Assumed Yoda would fight? Who? Not untill they were told he would or saw him do it. I never imagined him fight with a Lightsaber. I always figured he was a cerebal type of Jedi, guess I was frigggin wrong asways unlike most people.

bigbarada
09-30-2002, 03:12 AM
Actually, Yoda was supposed to fight in the original draft of ESB. There was just no way to pull it off effects-wise in 1980. That is mentioned in the Annotated Screenplays.

However, I was still a little surprised to see his lightsaber in the Ep1 visual dictionary. Once I saw that though, I had three years to roll it around in my head and imagine how Yoda would actually move. His actions in Ep2 were pretty close to what I had envisioned.

The rumor mill pretty much mentioned Yoda's duel also. Most people diss Supershadow, but the fact remains that he had the entire Ep2 plot up on his site (it was about 90% accurate) for over a year before Ep2's release.

rynobot
09-30-2002, 03:17 AM
Maybe if you spent 3 years thinking about a Hutt Jedi you could find away for it to fight (yoda like).

Tycho
09-30-2002, 03:48 AM
Beldorrian the Hutt was a Jedi (Planet of Twilight by Barbara Hambly)

I'll add that I'm an EU fan, but I really CANNOT STAND Barbara Hambly's writing for Star Wars. She is the single WORST writer.

If you don't read SW books but are considering it, DO NOT read her SW books. (They take place 8 - 10 years after ROTJ when Star Wars books start to really get lost for a while, degrading the quality of the continuity Timothy Zahn's works founded).

Meanwhile, who the heck was Yoda supposed to fight in ESB?

That can't be right.

Who would be his opponent? The Ghost of Vader? He'd be smart enough not to fight it.

The real Vader or Emperor - well THAT would've ended the story in the 5th movie and there'd be no reason for ROTJ.

Luke, while training him? Luke would get so scared he'd flee Dagobah and never become a Jedi. Wouldn't you if a 2-foot muppet suddenly opened up a major can of whoop-azz on you?

InsaneJediGirl
09-30-2002, 04:33 AM
Beldorrian the Hutt was a Jedi (Planet of Twilight by Barbara Hambly)

I'll add that I'm an EU fan, but I really CANNOT STAND Barbara Hambly's writing for Star Wars. She is the single WORST writer.

If you don't read SW books but are considering it, DO NOT read her SW books. (They take place 8 - 10 years after ROTJ when Star Wars books start to really get lost for a while, degrading the quality of the continuity Timothy Zahn's works founded).

Yeah,I agree Tycho,I read them and was like "This isnt E.U...just really,really bad Fan Fiction"(Fan Fiction probably could have been better)

Moving back to the "3 Seconds of Screen Time" vs. EU.Its not that I dont like the Aliens and Characters we see for 3 seconds,because they have some pretty interesting backstories..but I'd just like to see some figures from the books.Nothing big..a seperate non-exclusive line would do nicely.

QLD
09-30-2002, 09:57 AM
Barbara Hambley.....*shudder*.......I was just beginning to forget the nightmare.... :eek:

allenj456
09-30-2002, 11:10 AM
i hate EU- if it didnt happen in the movies its not cannon- im ok with books and having fun with it- but save to toys for the actual film- not some bul$%^t concept thing that was never used in the films

QLD
09-30-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by allenj456
i hate EU- if it didnt happen in the movies its not cannon- im ok with books and having fun with it- but save to toys for the actual film- not some bul$%^t concept thing that was never used in the films

If a tree falls, and no one is there to hear it fall, does it still make a sound?

Just because you don't read the books, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I'll never understand how some people can HATE the books, and diss the Thrawn trilogy, but LOVE Episode 1.

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN IN THE MOVIE!!!!!!!! sounds just as trite as when people who say they movie sucks because it wasn't exactly like the book.

At this point, while I feel there are plenty of figures I would like to still see made form the movies, I think there are many more interesting characters to be made from the books.

InsaneJediGirl
09-30-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by allenj456

I think your confusing EU with AU.Expanded Universe is the continuation of the movies,following a story line.Alternate Universe would be something like the McQuarie(sp?) Stormtrooper,since it was not used.

bigbarada
09-30-2002, 12:22 PM
Meanwhile, who the heck was Yoda supposed to fight in ESB?

That can't be right.

Who would be his opponent? The Ghost of Vader? He'd be smart enough not to fight it.

The real Vader or Emperor - well THAT would've ended the story in the 5th movie and there'd be no reason for ROTJ.

Luke, while training him? Luke would get so scared he'd flee Dagobah and never become a Jedi. Wouldn't you if a 2-foot muppet suddenly opened up a major can of whoop-azz on you?

In the first draft, Yoda (originally named Minch) was supposed to duel with Obi-Wan's ghost. Since Luke didn't believe that Yoda was actually a Jedi, Yoda conjures up Obi-Wan's spirit and they participate in a mock duel to demonstrate Yoda's superior skill with a lightsaber.

Kind of silly, which is why is was scrapped, but it does show that Yoda was intended to be a master with a lightsaber from the beginning.

It could have been worse, GL and Kershner were originally considering using a monkey to play Yoda and just animating the mouth (similar to Babe). Fortunately it didn't work and they had to settle with a puppet. I shudder to think what that would have looked like onscreen.

Adam
09-30-2002, 02:19 PM
No one disses V'oort Sabring on my watch!

JarJar: The making aliens intelligent experiments went hand in hand with the true purpose of experimenting on aliens. Brainwashing them to become assassins and such to do the crippled Empire's dirty work.

And I forgot who asked why they call him "Piggy", sorry. Piggy was a nickname given to him by pilots from his former squadron. When he joined the Wraiths Wedge told him it was almost honorific in one of his squadrons to be called Piggy, because Porkin's nickname had been Piggy.

DeadCanDance
10-01-2002, 03:51 PM
Only EU figures after movie figures have been completed - they still have a good # of figures to make from the OT...

evenflow
10-01-2002, 04:37 PM
We really need an new EU line. There are so many cool characters that can be done. I would love to see a Crimson Empire line.

Dark Lord Kakorotto
10-01-2002, 11:01 PM
I want more Jedi! I want the Solo Children (teenagers). I want Kyp Durron! I want Corran Horn! Lowbacca! and with these Jedi I need evil! Exar Kun...Joruus C'Broth...Brakiss...Naga Sadow...Ulic Qel-Droma! Also I want a Norghi(sp). And I want the Dark Woman!

Wolfwood319
10-01-2002, 11:25 PM
What the hell is "Lowbacca?!?" Sounds like Wednesday's blue plate special at the local diner in the Russian district. Can't imagine that on it's way out, know what I mean?

Anywho... EU is all well and dandy, but I'm still hopeful that we'll see a Jedi Luke figure within the next year. After that, y'all can parade around all day and night in hopes for your "Lowbacca" figure.

Darth_Billy_Jack
10-01-2002, 11:41 PM
why not simply continue with a mix of main characters, background dudes w/ some EU sprinkled in? that seems to be the most democratic way of doing it. i want them to remake all of the original line as well, but it doesnt need to be imediately...
i would like to see from EU:
joruus cbaoth
talon kaarde
luuke
guri
carnor jax
kir kanos
executor sedriss
solo kids
rogue squadron pilots
baron fel
new jedi order
quinlan vos
and a whole lot more...

jedihunter25
10-02-2002, 12:13 AM
I guess I wouldn't mind- AFTER they finish all the vintage figs. a few more podracers, the rest of the Jedi council, Senator Yarua, Daultay Dofine, Rep Teers, Wald, Kitster, Gorgmonger, and complete all the Padme outfits from TPM, the Cantina aliens they have not done yet, General Rieekan, General Jan Dodonna, Hermi Odle, Shawda Ubb, R1-G4, CZ-1, LIN-V8K, Yarna d'al Gargan, the ice cream maker dude, and lets not forget the characters from AOTC that Hasbro hasn't even begun to try to make yet- although it seems like they are taking their time.

Turbowars
10-02-2002, 06:18 PM
I know, why are you all so hot to get EU figures? There's so much that needs to be done before hand. I kind of wonder if you guys even like the OT;) LOL

QLD
10-02-2002, 06:42 PM
Because, except for a couple, they have made all of the interesting characters from the OT.

However, there are TONS of interesting characters in EU that deserve to be made. I love the movies, but I love the EU just as much, if not more. I would rather have a Corran Horn figure than Ephont Man, or some other person I don't even remember seeing in the movie.

Just my opinion though.

mrmiller
10-03-2002, 11:39 AM
First off- sorry, I didn't read every post.

Now- my 2 cents.

I don't want to see many EU figures produced before we get more figures from the movies. I guess you can argue that chartacters that have 2 seconds of screen time are less important than major characters in the EU (Thrawn, etc..), but I almost consider those cameo characters EU. The only pure EU figure I'd really like to see is Guri. First lets get more Pod Racers, more Jedi, Madine, Organa, and the Dignatary.

=MATT=

Adam
10-03-2002, 09:20 PM
Personally I would rather see a main character from the EU, than some crazy alien that had seconds worth of screen time.. I don't really care if it was from the movie or not. While some of the EU may not be to my liking, there are many things in my life that I don't like either. So I get over it, and appreciate the better things in life, or in this case the EU.

You know I really wish I would had read your post before I posted mrmiller.. ah well.

jedihunter25
10-03-2002, 09:54 PM
Wasn't it EU that killed the Kenner line back in 85-86 (Droids & Ewoks)?

Turbowars
10-03-2002, 11:16 PM
yes

Dark Lord Kakorotto
10-06-2002, 03:32 PM
85-86? Kenner shouldn't have made an EU based on nothing. have you read any of the novels? They're tons of wonderous characters. Just give me the Solo children, Exar Kun, C'Broth, and Kyp Durron and I'll be very happy.

Tycho
10-06-2002, 04:36 PM
Part of Kenner's line's death in the 1984-'85 period was lack of Star Wars MOVIES. Vader was dead, the Emperor gone.

Sure there was EU in the cartoons - with R2 and Threepio prior to ANH (but after EIII) but the Ewoks couldn't carry it alone.

New EU from 1991 on is about Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, Chewie, Wedge and their adventures. People care about the whole war to defeat the Empire meaning something. These people weren't just terrorists that went around blowing up bureaucrats on Death Stars. They had a revolutionary government in mind - and a whole Imperial starfleet to deal with - along with land based armies just about everywhere Palpatine could send Clones. It didn't matter if you killed the Emperor and Vader then. Even without a Death Star, the galaxy had a universe of problems before they could re-establish a real Republic - not to mention the fact that there needed to be a return of the Jedi Knights as well after that. Luke couldn't save the entire galaxy alone - and with their skills, it was reasonable that many Old Republic Jedi survived and went into hiding - as well as many untrained Force-sensitives had children and went on about life under the Empire quite undetected. There are a lot of questions never answered by Return of the Jedi.

But finally, the socio-political conditions for establishing a New Republic are only so interesting (Bothan politics being about the best part of that). So a new war would have to come. But there were no Sith in the open, and no logical way to explain them evolving again, with so few Jedi around after Luke began training them.

Enter the Yuuzhan Vong. These invaders with all bio-technology- even their clothes are living creatures - and their weapons, ships, etc. are part of the Force that the Jedi can't sense (so goes the most recent theory). They beat back the Jedi, kill one of Han and Leia' sons as well as Chewbacca, and they destroyed Coruscant and took over 3/4 or more of the SW galaxy now. To combat such dispair, some of the Jedi find themselves forced to turn dark, like Kyp Durron and Jaina Solo.

If Star Wars is about the Light Side vs. the Dark, the Yuuzhan Vong will surely create a new breed of Dark Jedi or even Sith, without intending it.

The original Sith came from amongst the Jedi ranks. Those practicing the Dark Side were exiled and they conquered the Sith race and began a teaching structure that emulated the brutal society with which they ruled over. When they returned to the Republic bent on conquest under Lord Naga Sadow, they were defeated, but his legacy lived on from his apprentice Freedon Nadd, to his disciple, Exar Kun. From Kun's direct legacy came Darth Bane, though the two never met.

Bane's ambition and impatience with other Sith, most notably the Krath-Sect of the Sith's Lord Kaan, allowed Bane to let the rest of the Sith be destroyed and he came to the realization that there could only be 2, a Master and an Apprentice. Other Force-users were too dangerous if trained Jedi or even Sith.

Bane's apprentice was a female Sith witch, Zannah (I think - "Rain's" real name). The line continued to learn and plot until 1,000 years later, Cos Palpatine (Darth Sidious) was ready to consolidate his power. His earlier apprentices, Maul and Tyranus, were killed, and Darth Vader took their place. Vader eliminated all visable competitors, but finally fulfilling his destiny as a Jedi, he also eliminated Sidious and himself in the process. Unless one Sith survived, there was not exactly a balance in the Force - except if the Sith that balances Luke's powers, is his father before he dies.

Now (27 years later) the Force is very strong on the Light Side, with hundreds of Jedi Knights and even Masters trained by Luke Skywalker - the patriarch of the New Jedi Order.

When the Yuuzhan Vong are wiped out, there will be no new threat to keep Star Wars going. Unless of course, some of Luke's Jedi turn to the Dark Side.

Recent events make it unclear whether Master Kyp Durron will turn again, or his supposed apprentice, Jaina Solo. She in particular is more inclined to fall, as an instrument of the military, commanded by a Bothan, a General from a race of beings who have declared that total, utter genocide is the only way to rid the galaxy of the Yuuzhan Vong - and Jaina is ready to exterminate them for revenge for Chewbacca and the death of her younger brother.

If this isn't Star Wars, is falling asleep watching any of the older movies???

The Expanded Universe as it is today will never kill Star Wars. Hasbro is a fool to not take advantage of this.

Turbowars
10-06-2002, 04:43 PM
We need the movies for Hasbro to market the toys. To be honest I have never read a EU book. What is the 1st and best novel that follows ROTJ? I just might start.

Adam
10-06-2002, 08:51 PM
Timothy Zahn's trilogy is the best place to start.( Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command.) Zahn nails all the old characters, and the new ones are just as interesting. It's not immediatly after RoTJ, but they were the books that jump started life after the movies.

Dark Lord Kakorotto
10-06-2002, 08:55 PM
That is where I started and now i have read ever single book before and after that

Turbowars
10-06-2002, 10:09 PM
what books are before? I don't want to start in the middle and have to go back. Adam, So is Heir to the Empire where to start or not?

RooJay
10-07-2002, 03:06 PM
I will never understand why anyone who loves Star Wars and Star Wars toys would ever say that they don't want to see more figures produced. ANY figures; EU or otherwise. Granted, I haven't read every post in this thread so maybe I missed something, but I honestly don't believe that anyone here wants to see EU figures produced that would take the place of movie figures. Is it really so bad to hope that we might get a complete line of movie figures in the same year we get a complete line of EU figures? Why would anybody be opposed to that? Keep in mind that we all know it's just not going to happen, but would it really be that bad if it did? Those of you who don't like the Expanded Universe would not be forced to buy into that line, and those of us who do will be happy and poor after having collected two different figure lines with the Star Wars name and our favorite characters attached. Someone is sure to butt in after this post and go on and on about how it would be financially impossible for Hasbro to produce two Star Wars figure lines and still manage to keep the license healthy and pofitable (not that I believe that for one second - marketing/ finance degree or not!), and how the only way we should, could, and would ever see EU figures again is at the expense of the movie figures line (By the way, no one ever says, "I don't want Hasbro to make any MIB 2, Transformers, Zoids, Pokemon, or GIJoe figures because it keeps us from getting new Star Wars figures.". None of these lines seem to have any effect on the number of Star Wars figures we get in a year, and all of them are produced by Hasbro. No one ever talks about how opposed they are to the idea of new 12 inch Star Wars figures, or things like Palm Talkers, Roleplay toys, Action Fleet, or even 3 3/4" vehicles because it means we get fewer movie figures through the Saga line.). Really...is it still wrong to want them? I would love to see two separate Star Wars lines - one for movies and one for the EU. I would gladly buy both! I'm sure there are a lot of us who would; not to mention how much I think the kiddies would dig it (and just imagine a toy company using action figures to promote books! I think there's definitely some merit to that idea)! I for one, would LOVE to see a whole lot more EU figures! I'd like to see Hasbro put out fifty plus a year! I'd also LOVE to see a whole lot more Saga figures! Fifty plus a year - on top of the fifty plus EU figures! Call me crazy! What could be better than having something cool to enjoy than having more of something cool to enjoy?

The Overlord Returns
10-07-2002, 03:12 PM
make every single movie figure.

then we can talk eu.........

JangoFart
10-07-2002, 03:16 PM
I'm all for a whole slew of EU figures to compliment our collections. But, I think that any EU figures/ships/playsets ought to come out on their own cards - cards that are new and exciting and vastly different from the existing line. I'm not calling for the end of the Saga line (which I like), but the difference b/twn the cards from POTF2 and EU were basically nil. (Different text on the front, thicker card)

A new card with a front card pic showing the line from which it originates would be sweet - i.e., a "Dark Force Rising" paperback cover shot instead of just Vader or Maul's melon.

J

RooJay
10-07-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
make every single movie figure.

then we can talk eu.........

Like I said...why not both?

Beast
10-07-2002, 06:16 PM
I really wouldn't mind some EU figures. But make them a seperate line, so that people don't think that packing in EU figures with the movie figures would mean less of them. I'm not a fanatical EU person, but some would be nice. Like I said before, I really want a Bothan. Plus they are mentioned in ROTJ, so it's one of those quasi-EU figures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
10-07-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
what books are before? I don't want to start in the middle and have to go back. Adam, So is Heir to the Empire where to start or not?

CLASSIC Star Wars book order: + = good, - = terrible

COMIC: Boba Fett: Enemy of the Empire
Han Solo in The Paradise Snare (10 years before ANH)++
The Hutt Gambit++
Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu
Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon+
Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of Thonboka
Han Solo at Star's End+
Han Solo's Revenge
Han Solo and the Lose Legacy
Rebel Dawn (Rebel Alliance formed 2-0 years before ANH)++
COMIC: Han Solo in Underworld
Kyle Katarn in Soldier for the Empire

EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE

Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina
COMIC: Shadow Stalker (Jix's tale)
Splinter of the Mind's Eye -
COMIC: Vader's Quest --

EPSIODE V: The EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (3 years after ANH)

Tales of the Bounty Hunters
Shadows of the Empire ++ (6 months after ESB)
COMIC: Bounty Hunter: Scoundrel's Wages (Lando infiltrates Jabba)

EPISODE VI: RETURN OF THE JEDI (4 years after ANH)

Tales from Jabba's Palace
COMIC: Mara Jade- By the Emperor's Hand
COMIC: Shadows of the Empire: Evolution (Guri's Tale)

The Truce at Bakura - (Luke's first apprentice-type Dev Sebwarra)

COMICS: Rogue Squadron - Wedge's series by Mike Stackpole, Wedge reforms the squadron. Pestage loses Imperial Throne as Isaard rises to power.

Junior Readers: Rise of Trioculus, Luke trains Ken, grandson of Palpatine, Zorba the Hutt avenges his son.

Rebel Agent - Kyle Katarn foils Darktrooper Plan, then attempts to avenge his father. Learns he is grandson of Jedi.

Jedi Knight - Kyle refuses Luke's training and attempts to stop Dark Jedi Jerec and defeat the plans of the long vanquished Sith Lord Kaan in the Valley of the Jedi at Ruusan. Kyle chooses to fight on the Good Side of the Force.

Rogue Squadron - the novels. The Rebellion under Ackbar and Wedge Antilles retake Coruscant, fighting off a bio-weapons plauge. Isaard Rises to power.

The Courtship of Princess Leia (4 yrs after ROTJ, Han & Leia marry)

Heir to the Empire (5 yrs after ROTJ, Thrawn attacks, Solo twins born)++
Dark Force Rising (pt.2)++
The Last Command (pt.3 - Mara breaks from the Dark Side,)++

COMIC: Dark Empire (Luke falls to the Dark Side, Palpatine reborn)
COMIC: Dark Empire II (Leia trains as a Jedi. Pregnant again)
COMIC: Empire's End (Anakin Solo born - Palpatine finally killed)

COMIC: Crimson Empire - Kir Kanos, last Royal Guard kills those who betrayed Palpatine. He's about to discover Nom Anor has entered our galaxy - and the Empire is in no shape to stop him! Early foreshadowing of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. The story is awaiting conclusion in Crimson Empire III. ++

Jedi Search (Luke finds new Jedi, begins academy)
Dark Apprentice (Kyp Durron's rise to power)
Champion's of the Force (Admiral Daala defeated, Mon Mothma resigns)

I, Jedi (Corran Horn abandons his Jedi training to save his wife)

Children of the Jedi (Leia preparing to become Chief of State, NR) - - - !

Darksaber - (Leia takes over as Chief of State, last stand Durga the Hutt)

Planet of Twilight (Luke settles up with girlfriend Callista)

COMIC: Jedi Academy - Kyp Durron returns to the light side of the Force and becomes a Jedi Master.

Before the Storm (Yvethan Slaves of the Empire begin genocide of humans)
Shield of Lies (Luke tries to find out about his mother; Han captured)
Tyrant's Test (Chewbacca & son, Warru (Lumpy) rescue Han, Leia wins war)

The New Rebellion (another of Luke's Jedi goes bad, Leia trains, Lando hurt)

Ambush at Corellia (Thrackan Sal-Solo rises to power)
Assault at Selonia (Lando marries, Republic fights Human League)
Showdown at Centerpoint (Anakin Solo saves Corellia, Leia resigns)

Specter of the Past (Gavisrom Chief, Thrawn returns; Bothan threat)
Vision of the Future (Luke & Mara get together; defeat last Imperials)

Junior Jedi Knights(Anakin Solo is challenged to free a Sith temple...Tahiri Viehl becomes his girlfriend....Kenobi's lightsaber found...Anakin purges Vader's castle to establish his own identity free of his grandfather's evil).

Young Jedi Knights (Jaina and Jacen train with Lowbacca. Tenel Ka becomes Jacen's girlfriend, Zekk is saved from the Dark Side of the Force and becomes Jaina's boyfriend. A plan to reorganize the remaining Imperials is thwarted. Aliens rise up against humans under a Twi'lek renegade who captures and tortures the Solo children. Boba Fett unwittingly aides her plans and the threat he poses to the kids brings him back to clash with Han Solo. Then Han tries to save the daughter of one of his former enemies, with his kids help, as they take down Black Sun while their mother reaffirms the Republic's control over terrorist organizations. Leia returns to power).

NEW JEDI ORDER:

Vector Prime - Chewbacca killed, Yuuzhan Vong begin invasion.
Onslaught - Jacen captured, Luke attacks, Lando forced to fight.
Ruin - Ithor destroyed by Vong. Corran Horn discredited. Jedi go dark
Hero's Trial - Han considers suicide. Droma teaches him about family
Jedi Eclipse - The Vong order the extermination of Jedi; Kyp wages war.
Balance Point - Vong try executing Leia; Jacen rescues mom, Han returns
Conquest - Anakin Solo rescues girlfriend Tahiri, learns Vong bio-tech.
Rebirth - Ben Skywalker born to Mara / Luke; Vong seedships grown
Star by Star - Anakin killed; Jacen captured; Coruscant destroyed
Dark Journey - Jaina turns to the Dark Side to avenge fallen brothers
Rebel Stand - Wedge delays Vong with last stand, refugees escape
Rebel Dream - Luke & Mara goto find Jacen; faces Dark Sider instead
Traitor - Jacen escapes the Vong w. Vergere, an old Republic Jedi and worse
Destiny's Way - Luke starts Jedi Council; both Jacen and Ackbar return; genocide bio-weapon debated; final attack plan organized; Bothans declare genocidal war on the Vong. Cal Omas elected Chief.

Turbowars
10-07-2002, 08:54 PM
Thanks Tycho, I'm a bit overwhelmed. Where do I start?

Tycho
10-08-2002, 12:01 AM
After ROTJ in the timeline, I started putting in synopsis of the storyline. Read what interests you.

Avoid Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight! They are THE worst!

You will find in:

Before the Storm
Shield of Lies
Tyrant's Test

that Lando's storyline is completely pointless and will drive you nuts! Could that ship have been a precursor to something to do with the Yuuzhan Vong though?

Anyway, I would first read:

Paradise Snare
Hutt Gambit
Rebel Dawn

Then skip to

Shadows of the Empire

then read:

everything after that - including the comics because they affect the novel plot lines, too!

The Overlord Returns
10-08-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by RooJay

Like I said...why not both?

Don't split the market.

Make all the film figures first. That alone is going to take us to 2007 - 8.

After the movies are done, move to EU. It will keep the line going, if even in a limited way.

The thing is, 80% of the fan base would rather every movie figure were made and have no EU, than have some eu and sacrifice movie figures. I have a few of the original eu figs, but only the 3 that sold well. Some of the others were major pegwarmers from what I remember.

Adam
10-08-2002, 03:56 PM
Tycho is right about pretty much everything, but he forgot a few titles. There are a couple of X-Wing books that happen after the main X-Wing series. X-Wing: Isard's Revenge begins at the very end of The Last Command and before the Jedi Academy trilogy. ( I don't read the comics, so I'm not sure when the comics that Tycho placed there happen.) Then theres X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar which takes place after Planet of Twilight. Btw, the X-Wing books are all excellent. Great action and humor. I recommend them all.

And Tycho, how can you forget probably the worst book in SW history? I refer of course to The Crystal Star, which takes place after Starfighters of Adumar.

and turbowars - If you are looking for books after RotJ like you said, go with either the X-Wing novels and/or Zahn's Trilogy. If not, go with Tycho's advice and start with the Han Solo trilogy.

RooJay
10-09-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns

Don't split the market.

Make all the film figures first. That alone is going to take us to 2007 - 8.

After the movies are done, move to EU. It will keep the line going, if even in a limited way.

The thing is, 80% of the fan base would rather every movie figure were made and have no EU, than have some eu and sacrifice movie figures. I have a few of the original eu figs, but only the 3 that sold well. Some of the others were major pegwarmers from what I remember.

Like I said...why not both? If you actually go back and read what I wrote, I'm sure you'd find that I make a decent case or both being produced at the same time. As I also said, there should be no reason we must sacrifice on for the other. There are plenty of people who collect more than one toy line (and more than just Star Wars). I am on them. Also, from my point of view 80% of the fan base would rather have both movie figures made AND EU figures at the same time, sacrificing no figures from either line.
I have said my peace.

RooJay
10-09-2002, 05:08 PM
Did I miss something Tycho, or did a lot of the books on that list not have ratings? Would those be the books you haven't read? By the way, I have to disagree with you in regards to Shadowsof the Empire. That one would've been a "- -" for me! I thought that book should've been way better, and certainly more well thought out. There were so many better routes that story could've taken. I was majorly disappointed.

Tycho
10-09-2002, 05:21 PM
I missed some ratings in there, as I was in a hurry. Still have no time to go back at the moment.

Meanwhile, I deliberately left off the 2 out-of-sequence Rogue Squadron books.

As my username suggests, I am a fan of the X-wing Series, and loved them! However, you're either into the "military books" or you're not.

Reading X-wing books are an adjustment, as rank and regulation play a much bigger part in the early books (I know less so much in the later ones) than customary SW book fans might be used to.

IMO, they become some of the best books out there. But if you're shopping for the novels, you'll notice that there are books 7 & 8 of this series out there.

Additionally, all recent New Jedi Order books have the complete NOVEL timeline in there. Comics have a timeline coordinated with the novels, (though they are not listed) on Dark Horse Comics' website.

The Comics are in recent times becoming frequently more and more orientated to the prequels.

The most significant events in the comics that affect the books are Luke's turning to the Dark Side to submit to Palpatine-Resurrected.

And additionally, the foreshadowing of the Yuuzhan Vong in Crimson Empire.

Chewbacca fans might want to witness how Han Solo met Chewbacca in the Chewie series which is the only comic to reflect things from the New Jedi Order timeline.

Mike Stackpole wrote "Union" - another awful one (but Mike's only bad piece of writing - ever!) where Luke and Mara actually get married. It's enough to know they are engaged at the end of Timothy Zahn's last book, "Vision of the Future."

Imperials crashing the wedding and Rogue Squadron fighting them played out like it ought to have been a Jim Carrey movie - but a "not-that-funny" one.

Oh well. Union takes place immediately after Vision of the Future.

The Prequel Comics (on-going series) are 10x better than most of the post-ROTJ comics, though Rogue Squadron comics are so sweet! Mike Stackpole WROTE those - so don't give me "comics are cheap" lines there. The almost 50-book comic series following Truce at Bakura and before Courtship of Princess Leia (2-3 years after ROTJ) is awesome! It must be read in order, too.

In it, you can see Baron Fel, Corran Horn, Ysanne Isaard, Admr. Krennel, and much more! Even Han and Leia, and Winter too!

RooJay
10-09-2002, 05:41 PM
Good call on "Union" Tycho! That one could've been so cool, but ended up sucking big donkey balls! The art was atrocious too! There were quite a few times where I just couldn't tell who it was that was doing the talking and several instances where the action didn't match the dialog at all!

Dark Lord Kakorotto
10-12-2002, 11:55 PM
I love star wars!!!!!!!