PDA

View Full Version : The new interactive R2 is super cool, however...

09-28-2002, 01:40 PM
I love the new interactive R2. Anyone who saw the piece CNN did on it probably has an appreciation for how technologically advanced this "toy" is. I suppose that a part of me wishes that is was capable of doing more, but that's just me wishing I owned an actual R2-D2. The one complaint that I do have is that the "answer this" function on mine seems to foul it up. R2 becomes very deaf, cocks his head to one side and stops responding (although he does try to track with his infared sensors). A tap to the head is the only thing that gets his attention. I thought that was odd, as everything else seems to be O.K. except for that one command. No big deal, but I was wondering if anyone else was having that problem?

Freedom
10-06-2002, 01:00 PM
Mine will do the same thing except after a couple of "Do you remember" questions. He only obeys half of what I say anyway.

10-10-2002, 11:25 PM
Interestingly, I got my hands on another R2 and new out of the box, under what are supposed to be ideal conditions, it did the same thing as the first one. The funny thing is, if one of them was in answer this mode, and the other was "talking" the first one would hear and respond yes or no to the other one. Hmmm... maybe these are actually government listening devices, not unlike the metal strips in $20 bills ;)

AquaFett
10-11-2002, 08:32 PM
I've had the same problem with the two that I've got my hands on. I've tried to get clarification from Hasbro customer support; but the best they could do was to say that "he doesn't always want to respond, and you have to keep trying". After trying dozens of times with two different units, I have to conclude that they're shipping defective units. I think the R2 unit is really, really, cool, and I don't intend to give mine up any time soon; but the "Answer This" game just doesn't work at all As soon as the "Answer This" command is given, he goes into a sort of spastic zombie mode. While in that mode, the mood light stays on constant (it blinks when he's listening for verbal commands,) he doesn't make any sounds, doesn't respond to verbal questions, and he moves his dome in slow, jerky movements with a buzzing sound coming from the dome motor. If you wave your hand in front of him, he'll stop the buzzing and follow the motion reasonably smoothly; but as soon as the motion stops, he goes back to the buzzing, slow, jerky, movement again.

blueswiz
11-12-2002, 10:52 AM
mine does the EXACT same thing

Jedi Master Silas
11-26-2002, 06:50 PM
Metal strips in $20 bills??? I quess I'll find out what mine will do after I open him at Christmas time.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-26-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Silas
Metal strips in $20 bills??? I quess I'll find out what mine will do after I open him at Christmas time.
Me too. :D

Turbowars
12-01-2002, 12:39 PM
I'm sorry guys, but he seems to be a big pain in the @ss! I don't think I'll get is guy, unless my wife gets him for me for X-Mas. With all that I hear I hope she doesn't.

JEDIpartner
12-01-2002, 05:56 PM
Oh, damn... I really want one of these. I don't think that ANYONE will be getting me one of these. Oh, well.

Aric_D
12-20-2002, 08:43 PM
I don't have one...but a close friend does...he's works just fine..freaks out and everything when you say "Darth Vader"...it is the coolest thing in the world...I remember when I bought my girlfriend over there...she went down the hall..R2 came out..she was following with this "You Have got to be freaking kidding me" look on her face...The Hide and Go seek game is a blast...esp. in a pitch black room...

mtriv73
01-03-2003, 02:29 PM
Mine often decides that he's tired of whatever I'm asking him to do and starts playing light tag. He seems to only want to play "do you remember" if he's just been turned on or has been left alone for a while. Also, background noise seems to cause him to get really confused and uncooperative. Despite this, he is a wonderful toy. I'm amazed at how much he can do the 75% of the time that he is cooperating. I think of it like a pet...it's not the smartest thing in the world and it doesn't always do what I say, but it's a lot of fun when it does cooperate. Besides, I'll take changing batteries to cleaning out the cat litter any day.

Bobajames
01-03-2003, 02:40 PM
sounds like r2 wants you guys to stop nagging him about people that he knows! j/k! Maybe r2 has a pesonality of his own and doesn't like talking sometimes! :)

RobertDD
01-27-2003, 10:25 AM
My artoo has the above mentioned behaviour as well. Is there anyone with an artoo that does not display this behaviour?

Rogue II
07-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the list of commands for the Interactive R2? I don't know what happened to mine, and they don't seem to be on the Hasbro website anymore.

Thanks in advance.

plasticfetish
07-19-2006, 01:06 AM
Does anyone know where I can find the list of commands for the Interactive R2?Man... I've been looking, but I can't find it. I'll keep looking and post them if I find them. (Hmmm...)