PDA

View Full Version : do you think AOTC will beat TPM in ticket sales?

ki-adi mundi's bro
10-27-2001, 12:37 PM
i think it will be AOTC hands down...i'm just speculating...

Eternal Padawan
10-27-2001, 02:15 PM
Phantom Menace was such a hooplah event that was being covered and over-covered by the media that everybody and their grandmother felt compelled to go out to the local cinema plex and see what all the hub bub was about. There hadn't been a Star Wars movie in 16 years (not counting SEs) and it was billed as a "must see extravaganza". Add to that all the die hard fans heading out to see it two, three, eighteen times boosted Episode 1's domestic gross to $430 million (Fact checkers correct me if I'm wrong.)

Fast forward 3 years. The hooplah isn't as hyper and the bad taste Episode 1 left in everybodies mouth hasn't quite washed away, so there is a little more tripidation and not as much media spectacle involved. Even Lucasfilm has laid low in the Frito/pepsi/Tricon cross promotions and the ad campaign will be scaled back also. So unless AOTC can develop and Titanic-like repeat viewing sensation from it's romance angle (and early spy reports indicate the odds of this are 3,720 to 1) I suspect this one may clear $2-300 million if it's lucky. Still enough, I suspect, to walk away with highest grossing film of 2002, but nowhere near TPM levels.

bigbarada
10-27-2001, 02:39 PM
TPM jumped to the number three spot of highest grossing movies of all time. Titanic is #1 with around $700 million, ANH has around $460 million and TPM grossed around $430 million.

No small feat considering TPM was in theatres for all of 4 months, Titanic's grosses account for nearly 1.5 years of ticket sales and ANH didn't reach $400 million until after 3 re-releases and the Special Edition.

However, EP is right, the hype generated by the media and promoters did significantly add to TPM's must-see status.

I predict about $300 million for Ep2, and around $200-250 million for Ep3. I think the not so happy endings of Ep2 and 3 will significantly curb the ticket sales. In fact, GL himself expects Ep3 to make the least amount of money of all Star Wars films.

master jedi
10-27-2001, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure about this one. TPM turned off the interest of Star Wars for a lot of people. Also TPM was the first SW film in a long time so that would probably factor in.

Co Jo-Da
10-27-2001, 11:05 PM
I hope AotC's will be a better film than TPM but I'm not sure if it will be in the top three at the box office.

hamsterboy
10-28-2001, 01:47 AM
Let's wait and see as it gets closer to being released for hype. They may wait before they go nuts on the hype.

Obi-Don
10-28-2001, 06:18 AM
I think it will not do as good as TPM but will be one of the best of that year.Every Star Wars fan will want to see it.

JediTricks
10-28-2001, 11:49 AM
Part of what made Star Wars such a ticket-taker at it's original release was that, at that time, you couldn't wait 3 months and then buy it to watch at home whenever you want, if you wanted to see it, you had to go and experience it in a theater (technically, there were some home systems, but they weren't big). By the time ESB came out, video rental had just started and cable was picking up users, so the home market was growing. I think that the threat of a movie NOT coming out on video right away would probably help it at the box office, but we ALL know that Lucas will release Ep 2 on tape a few months after release, so that'll hurt Ep 2 (as it probably did with Ep 1, can you imagine if Lucas had said "I won't be releasing this movie on the home market till Ep 3 comes out!"?).

That said, I think in tickets, Ep 2 probably won't beat Ep 1, but in dollars, it may actually pull it off thanks to higher ticket prices.

Co Jo-Da
10-29-2001, 12:47 AM
Still one thing will remain the same, Star Wars is best experienced at the theater.

JediTricks
10-29-2001, 10:59 AM
ABSOLUTELY! This is why I really want LFL to release a few prints of the trilogy to circle the globe, have special ANH, ESB, and ROTJ weekends in each town! So one town will have ANH one weekend and then that print will move on to the next town, and the next weekend, ESB will show up in the first town while ANH plays in the next town, and so on and so forth.

Eternal Padawan
10-29-2001, 01:59 PM
That's a great idea! They are always showing that stinky Rocky Horror Picture Show crappola all the time. Why not start a cult phenom for Star Wars? People could come and dress up like their favorite characters and yell lines from the movie....or we could all sit absolutely still like grown-ups and just watch the GONK!ing film...RHPS just wormed its way onto my top ten pet peeves list...where'd that darn thread go? AHA! Here it is...

JediTricks
10-30-2001, 01:32 AM
Somehow, I have a feeling we won't be seeing EP dressed as Dr. Frank N. Furter this halloween. ;)

Co Jo-Da
10-30-2001, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Somehow, I have a feeling we won't be seeing EP dressed as Dr. Frank N. Furter this halloween. ;)

God I hope not (LOL).

GNT
10-30-2001, 02:33 AM
I think AOTC will beat TPM in Ticket sales for sure... people will go to see Jango in Action and Padme wearing that Tight white suit :)What? :rolleyes:

ki-adi mundi's bro
10-30-2001, 06:46 AM
thanks for all the replys so fast! i usually have to wait 3-5 days to get a reply...:)

artdoesart
11-04-2001, 06:30 PM
even though i wish, i really doubt it will, i think a lot of the tv coverage as well as other media outlets will not hype it up as much since the first film was not as great as one would have expected. as for myself i am excited as much as any of the films buti know for the average person they will not be as excited because of the result of the ep1.

but well time will tell.

The Bald Ewok
11-04-2001, 08:15 PM
In my humble opinion, I believe that AOTC will beat TPM if it becomes an overall better movie than TPM. If the story is well written with plenty of action, then I can see it achieving success. I think or more hoping that the hype will really start picking up come monday. When a lot of them media other than the theaters can talk about AOTC. Besides, being in front of Monsters, inc. probably didnt hurt at all considering that both young and old are raving about the movie. So there it is...if the AOTC is an overall better movie than TPM then I think the crowd will be there!

Wolfwood319
11-05-2001, 03:42 AM
I think that if AOTC is truly an incredible movie, it might get close to or tie TPM. The media did hype it a lot, and everyone did go see it. But I highly doubt it. IF AOTC is really really really good, theres an offset that E3 might beat TPM, if only for the fact that AOTC was good, and it is the last SW film to be made.

Then too, ticket prices are about one and a half times higher than they were in '99. So that too might change thinks a bit.

Another thing to look at too is not gross earnings but actual tickets sold. The movie that sold the most tickets in history was Gone with the Wind. It didn't make millions though because tickets only cost like 10 cents back then.

All in all, I don't think it will make more than TPM, although you never can tell. Plus, if they leave it in theatres for over a year and a half like they did with Titanic, you never know. Ill keep going to see it as long as its still playing.

The Bald Ewok
11-05-2001, 07:27 AM
RRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!! Sorry I hate hearing about "that actually Gone with the wind would be number 1 but because of ticket prices being so low it isnt." That might be true but lets not forget that when GWTW was released there was all of what 2 other movies out during the summmer. Yeah no kid it sold a lot of tickets there wasnt anything else better to watch!!!

JediTricks
11-05-2001, 09:25 AM
Yeah, but I think Star Wars is #2 in ticket sales, so I like that better than Titanic being #1 in BO receipts. I'd rather have SW beaten by GWTW rather than Titanic.

bigbarada
11-05-2001, 10:00 AM
I remember Titanic had the stipulation that no discounts or special ticket prices were allowed. The theatre in my hometown said they even had to charge full price for matinees.

When I saw Ep1 eleven times, two of those times were full price minus military discount, two of them were matinee prices minus military discount and seven of those veiwings were $1.00 each at the military post theatre.

The total I spent on watching Titanic twice was $14 the total I spent on watching Ep1 eleven times was $23. Now I can start to see how Titanic made more money.

Does anyone remember the big controversy over people being allowed to see EP1 but being sold tickets to other films like Notting Hill or Wild Wild West? I think I remember Lucasfilm claiming it lost millions because of unscrupulous movie theatre managers.

Jedi Clint
11-05-2001, 01:28 PM
Yeah, but I think Star Wars is #2 in ticket sales, so I like that better than Titanic being #1 in BO receipts. I'd rather have SW beaten by GWTW rather than Titanic.

Amen brother!! :)