PDA

View Full Version : Recipes Anyone?

stillakid
09-29-2002, 10:15 PM
As I was making Chicken Cordon Bleu tonight for dinner, I got to thinking that with the wide geographical range of the SSG membership, there might be some great new recipe ideas to share amongst ourselves. I do realize that we are mostly males, and it seems that most here are 30 or younger. Cooking or Baking experience in that demographic is traditionally low. But on the off chance that you do have a favorite regional dish to share, please post it here! Thanks! So, what's cookin'? :)

Please visit Hey, do you remember :happy: :
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=181363#post181363

and

Droid Personalities:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=181364#post181364

Mod Note: Changed Title and Post. See my post in this thread.
DA

Beast
09-29-2002, 10:20 PM
Finally, a thread from you with some real meat in it. ;) :D Here's one of my favorites. I'll have to dig my notes up for more. Hey Stillakid, where is your Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe? :D

Burrito Pie:

Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 (2 ounce) can black olives, sliced
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chili peppers
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
1 (16 ounce) jar taco sauce
2 (16 ounce) cans refried beans
12 (8 inch) flour tortillas
9 ounces shredded Colby cheese

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the ground beef for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and saute for 5 more minutes. Drain any excess fat, if desired. Mix in the olives, green chile peppers, tomatoes with green chile peppers, taco sauce and refried beans. Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

3. Spread a thin layer of the meat mixture in the bottom of a 4 quart casserole dish. Cover with a layer of tortillas followed by more meat mixture, then a layer of cheese. Repeat tortilla, meat, cheese pattern until all the tortillas are used, topping off with a layer of meat mixture and cheese.

4. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
09-29-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Finally, a thread from you with some real meat in it. ;) :D Here's one of my favorites. I'll have to dig my notes up for more. Hey Stillakid, where is your Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe? :D

:) Since you don't like the burden of true discussion, I knew that this would be perfect for you! :) Plus, the added bonus for us of being able to actually follow your directions to see if it really is Burrito Pie. :D The proof, as they say, is in the pudding...or the pie in this case. :)

Beast
09-29-2002, 10:35 PM
Oh, I love true discussion. I just don't like reading the same "facts" restated time and time again. Be sure not to post the same recipe over and over again Stillakid. Again, where is your Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe? ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
09-29-2002, 10:40 PM
Oh, I love true discussion. I just don't like reading the same "facts" restated time and time again. Be sure not to post the same recipe over and over again Stillakid. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I've only ever reposted "factual" recipes when asked to by others, Mr. Jar Jar Sir. Please check the archives on that before any unnecessary sad faces show up in this happy place. :) Of course, you're always free to not re-read reposted recipes if you feel like you've already learned how to make the dish. If you do, you have only yourself to blame. :) Just food for thought. ;)

Beast
09-29-2002, 11:15 PM
You may prefer that bit of food for thought, but how about a little staying on topic for a cuisine? :D I'm still waiting for your Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe. Next up we have a nice soup, that is actually more of a stew depending how much meat you use. :)

Bean-Burger Soup/Stew:

Ingredients:
1/2-1 Pound of Ground Beef (Ground Chuck Prefered)
1 16-ounce can of Cut Green Beans
1 16-ounce can of Stewed Tomatoes
1 8-ounce can of Tomato Sauce
1 envelope (1/2 cup) Onion Soup Mix
1 teaspoon of sugar

1. I usually make this in the microwave in a cassarole dish, but you can do it on the stove in a kettle as well. First of all, fry your hamburger until brown and then drain off the excess fat. Drain your Green beans, but reserve the liquid.

2. Combine the juice from the can of green beans with water until you have 2 cups of liquid. Stir bean liquid mixture, green beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, soup mix, and sugar into drained beef in a kettle on the stove, or cassarole dish for the microwave.

3. Cook on the stove until flavors blend and it's is sufficiantly heated. In the microwave, cook it on medium high for about 18 minutes, stirring it 3 times during the cooking process. A really delicious stew, that will tempt your tummy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
09-29-2002, 11:25 PM
Here is my favorite recipe.

Hamburger Dujour

Brown One Pound Ground Beef, drain.

Add Ground Beef, 2 cups water, package of cheese mix, and noodles. Stir until thoroughly mixed.

Let simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occassionally.

Let sit away from burner for 5 minutes.

Serve!

stillakid
09-29-2002, 11:31 PM
You may prefer that bit of food for thought, but how about a little staying on topic for a cuisine? :D I'm still waiting for your Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe.

Please read your own book before tossing that advice at others (ie post 4).

Unfortunately my recipes are on old fashioned cards. I'll need some time to properly type them up in the computer. But I have some of my favorites to offer in the next few days. :)

QLD
09-29-2002, 11:34 PM
I wonder if someone is going to share a recipe for humble pie?

2-1B
09-29-2002, 11:37 PM
Don't all of the frivolous threads go into the garbage heap Misc. Other forum where posts are not counted? :confused:

Darth Cruel
09-30-2002, 12:15 AM
Anyone got a good recipe for Beef Stroganoff?

mini-rock
09-30-2002, 01:49 AM
How's about PANCAKES!!

Chocolate Chip Pancakes

You will need:
measuring utensils
12" pan
spatula
fork (for stirring)
non-stick cooking spray

Ingredients
2 cups flour (white or wheat)
3 tbs pure sugar
5 tps baking powder
2 cups whole milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
3/4-1 cup of Nestle Chocolate chips

Directions
In a large bowl mix dry ingredients first (2 cups flour, 3 tbs sugar, and 5 tsp baking powder). Take 12" pan and preheat on medium, and spray on non-stick cooking spray. Mix milk, eggs, and oil in with dry ingredients and mix with fork until batter is just slightly lumpy. Last, mix in chocolate chips. By this time the 12" pan should be ready to go. Pour 1/2 cup of batter into pan, and cook each side about 60 seconds (until brown). BOOYA! Chocolte chip pancakes. Hope you enjoy. :)

edit - JJB, I'll be making the Burrito Pie tomorrow night. :D

Dar' Argol
09-30-2002, 05:52 PM
After reading the opening post and seeing in what kind of attitude it was made in, and then reading the evolution of this thread, it is clear to me that is has gone past the original intent and developed into a real discussion. Therefore, as long as it remains so, this thread will remain open.

Also, because of the nature in which this thread was made, I have removed the opening statment and changed the title of the thread.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-30-2002, 09:25 PM
This is a fairly inexpensive recipe that got me through many a college night. It ain't exactly steak tartar, but it is quite a tasty dish.

Cream Peas and Tuna Fish

In a pan:

Take a cup of corn starch
pour 1/2 cup of milk
simmer and stir until the cream starts to clump, then add more milk and keep stirring.

While the pan is simmering, open a can of tuna fish, drain the water.
Get one whole can or half a package of frozen peas (they should be thawed)

Once you have a creamy consistency in the pan, add the tuna fish (mayo is optional) and the peas. Keep the pan on simmer. Stir the contents and let it heat for a while.

Make toast, put it on a dish, add the creamed peas and viola!.

Bon appetit!

If you yearn for another recipe, ask me about my lobster stuffed with taco!

Lord Malakite
10-01-2002, 01:09 AM
Last Week's Rotten Chicken

For stuffing
2/3 cup long grain white rice rice
2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 small red onion
1/3 cup drained dried tomatoes packed in oil (about 2 1/2 ounces)
1 shallot
1/2 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
2 fresh turkey sausage links (about 6 ounces total)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
green food coloring

two 1 1/4-pound Cornish hens
1 c. chicken broth

one stick unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons crumbled dried sage
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil or cilantro (your choice)
1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
1/2 teaspoon salt

Make stuffing:
prepare rice according to package and drain well;

While rice is simmering, separately chop fine onion, tomatoes, shallot, and parsley. Remove and discard casings from sausages and in a 12-inch non-stick skillet cook sausages in oil over moderate heat, stirring and breaking up lumps, until no longer pink. Add onion, tomatoes, and shallot and cook, stirring, until onion is softened. Stir in rice and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Add 3-4 drops green food coloring or until desired color is achieved. Cool stuffing completely. (Stuffing may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.)

Preheat oven to 350° F and butter a 1-quart baking dish.

Rinse Cornish hens inside and out and pat dry.
In a small bowl blend together well 2 tablespoons of the butter with the sage, cilantro or basil, the zest, and the salt. Loosen the skin covering the breast meat on each hen by slipping your fingers under the skin and sliding them between the skin and the meat. Divide the butter mixture between the hens, inserting it under the skin of each hen and smoothing it evenly by rubbing the outside of the skin, and season the hens with salt and pepper. Fill cavities with some of stuffing. Tie ends of drumsticks of each hen together with kitchen string and transfer remaining stuffing to baking dish. Tie each hen's legs together with kitchen string.

Arrange hens on a rack set in a flameproof roasting pan and roast hens in upper third of oven, basting every 15 minutes with excess butter mixture or broth, 50 to 55 minutes total, or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of a thigh (be careful not to touch bone) registers 170° F.

During last 30 minutes of roasting hens, add 1/4 cup broth to stuffing in dish and bake, covered, in lower third of oven 30 minutes.

Serve these putrid little hens on a platter, letting them spew forth their maggoty innards for all to enjoy. If your friends or family have a really strong stomach, put the hens inside a clean garbage bag and tear holes in the bag to reveal the "rotten mess" inside. MMMMM MMMM!!!

Liposuctioned Booty Leftovers

You will need:
Mixing bowl
Electric mixer
Glass measuring cup
6 Custard cups
lg Frying pan with lid
Pot holder
2 large Eggs
3 tablespoons Sugar
1 1/2 cups Milk
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
pinch Salt
1 1/2 cups Mini marshmallows

Beat the eggs and sugar until well blended. Add the milk, vanilla and salt and mix well. Use a glass measuring cup to divide the mixture evenly among the 6 custard cups.
Place the custard cups in a large frying pan and fill the pan with water to about 1/2" from the top of the cups. With an adult's help, place the pan on medium heat and bring the water to a simmer.
Turn heat down to low and cover the pan with a lid and continue to let the water simmer for ten minutes. Turn off the heat.
Carefully remove the cups from the water. Allow the custard to cool for five minutes
gently stir in 1/4 cup of marshmallow fat lumps into each cup. Make sure all the fat is covered with custard.
Refrigerate cups for one or two hours or until well chilled. Serves 6 adipose loaves.

Kitty Litter Surprise

1 white cake mix, prepared as directed and cooled

green food coloring

2 pks Instant chocolate pudding

1 large bag tootsie rolls

1. Prepare pudding as directed and spread in the bottom of a large plastic kitty litter pan (preferably a new one, unless you like vomiting from e-coli).

2. Crumble cake into bowl and drizzle with green food coloring, breaking cake pieces up to the point that it looks like kitty litter.

3. Spread evenly over the pudding.

4. Melt the tootsie rolls in the microwave until they are very pliable, then with a pastry bag or ziplock bag with a 1/2 inch hole punched in it, squeeze the melted tootsie rolls onto the cake, creating piles of "kitty presents" in various strategically placed spots in your pan.

5. serve with a slotted kitty litter scoop on the side
--extremely realistic looking, by the way.

Perforated Gangrenous Appendixes

Filling and Frosting
8 ounce cream cheese; softened
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
green and yellow food coloring
6 ounces white chocolate chips
Cupcake - Muffin Recipe
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cup water
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoon vanilla
Preparation time: 20 to 25 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
Utensils: Measuring cups and spoons, cupcake baking pans, paper cupcake liners, two small mixing bowls, electric mixer, mixing spoon, large mixing bowl, oven mitts.
Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake baking pans with paper cupcake liners.
In small mixing bowl, use electric mixer to combine cream cheese, egg and sugar. Blend in 2 drops green food coloring and 1 drop yellow food coloring, adding more coloring if necessary to reach desired shade of pus. Use mixing spoon to stir in white chocolate chips, set filling aside. In large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In second small mixing bowl, combine water, vegetable oil and vanilla. Add contents of small mixing bowl to large mixing bowl and stir with mixing spoon to combine.
Using mixing spoon or soup spoon, fill cupcake liners half full with cupcake batter, then place 1 teaspoon filling at center of each. As cupcake bakes, the batter will rise to surround the filling.
Wearing oven mitts, place cupcake pans in oven; bake approximately 25 minutes or until done. When done, wear oven mitts to remove pan from oven and turn off oven.
If desired, frost with pink "bowel-colored" icing or just let the purulent filling ooze out as a surprise. Ooh, my belly hurts mommy...

mini-rock
10-01-2002, 12:28 PM
:p :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p Great recipies. I'm gonna try the Kitty Litter Surprise this weekend. My kids are going to love it.:)

JJB, Burrito Pie was very good. I served it with spanish rice, and topped it with Jalepeno Habenero peppers. This ones a keeper, thanks. :)

JangoFart
10-01-2002, 03:00 PM
So, where's the Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe? Why start this "discussion" on such a topic and not include it in the discussion?

I guess I'm kinda lost here.....

J

Beast
10-01-2002, 03:31 PM
Glad you liked it Mini-Rock, it's one of my favorites. I need to post a few more later once I feel a bit better. Watching Steven King's IT right now. :)

JangoFart, I'm waiting for the recipe as well, but I doubt that it's going to happen. He only started the threads to be arrogent, thats why Dar edited his post and changed the thread title. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi Drew
10-01-2002, 08:55 PM
I have to try the Kitty Litter Surprise on my In-Laws :eek: :eek: But I have to make sure It's "Fat Free." :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: They are fat free "Freeks"!!!!!!

stillakid
10-02-2002, 11:50 AM
Some of us have real jobs that don't involve sitting on our fat *sses looking up Star Wars trivia all day. :) So here it is:

Chicken Cordon Bleu
2 whole Chcken Breasts (about 1 1/2) lbs)
4 thin slices fully cooked smoked ham or prosciutto
4 thin slices Swiss Cheese
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons water

Remove skin and bones from chicken breasts. Cut in half. Flatten each half to 1/4-inch thickness. Place 1 slice ham and 1 slice cheese on each chicken breast. Roll up and secure with wooden toothpicks. Mix flour, salt and pepper. Coat rolls with flour mixture. Dip rolls into egg and roll in bread crumbs.

Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook rolls in oil 5 to 10 minutes, turning occassionally, until light brown. Add water. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove tooth picks. Serves 4.

I like to save time and energy and use boneless chicken breasts. It's also much better with the proscuitto if you can find it. Trader Joe's in SoCal carries it.

Beast
10-02-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Some of us have real jobs that don't involve sitting on our fat *sses looking up Star Wars trivia all day. :) So here it is:
Some of us have real lives that don't involve sitting on our fat *sses making up lame reasons why the prequels suck. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
10-02-2002, 03:54 PM
Stillakid - ridiculous. Come on.

QUICHE FOR REAL MEN (only 4000 calories and 240 fat grams/serving)

You'll need:

1 cup of half and half cream
4 eggs
5 pieces of bacon
half an onion chopped (adjust to taste)
half a red pepper chopped (adjust to taste)
1 pie crust (homemade - you figure it out. I use frozen)

Brown the crust as per the directions on the box, let cool.
In a small pan, fry up the bacon strips. When they're nice and crispy fire in the onion and pepper until it's soft. Break the bacon into bite sized pieces - this is the bottom of your filling. These ingredients go into the cooked and cooled shell.

In a med. bowl, make a scrambled egg mixture with the half and half cream and eggs. Add some table pepper to taste. The egg mixture covers the bacon, onion and pepper in the crust. Last but not least cover with a cup of shredded Gruyere cheese - it reeks but works in this dish for whatever reason.

Pop the whole thing into the oven for 20-25 min at 375F. When it's done the egg should be quite firm, you may need to leave it in a little longer.

Important: LET COOL for a few minutes (avoids burns and allows filling to set).

Enjoy. Not healthy by any stretch, but tasty and pretty filling.

The vegetable ingredients and bacon can be adjusted - use whatever you like in an omelette (mushrooms, different cheeses, etc). The kicker is the special cheese and bacon combo - sublime.

JediTricks
10-02-2002, 05:00 PM
JJB, why don't you just let it drop? That post above was absolutely unnecessary and nasty, stuff like that will get you in trouble with SirSteve.

Stilla, I think turning those more than once would be too much, IMO cook them 70% on the first side and then flip to finish the coating on the outside, making sure not to let the sizzling go down lest the water content dry up on the bottom and allow the fat to get in (you shouldn't add water to pan-frying IMO because it creates a difficult-to-control reaction that gives you heat-spots). Also, would the cooking time go up or down if you use boneless chicken?

Trader Joe's has a low-fat beef proscuitto that's super-awesome tasty and isn't quite as porky as standard pork proscuitto (I don't like that weird slimy feel of pork).

jjreason, if you temper your eggs (bringing them up to heat slowly by adding warm ingredients) before throwing them in the oven, you will have a smoother, more accepting concoction because the eggs won't curdle/scramble.

Oh, and controlling the water levels of the veggies will be vital to keep it from being slimy or disconnected if you alter the veggie choices.

QLD
10-02-2002, 05:07 PM
Some of us have real jobs that don't involve sitting on our fat *sses looking up Star Wars trivia all day.

I thought that was pretty nasty and un-necessary as well. :rolleyes:

ANybody know any interesting ways to cook a turkey? I am looking to liven up my Thanksgiving this year. :)

JediTricks
10-02-2002, 05:18 PM
Yup, lotsa nastiness. I had just asked stilla to drop it in PM so it didn't seem like another comment, especially when he had less posts, made sense to me.

stillakid
10-02-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong

I thought that was pretty nasty and un-necessary as well. :rolleyes:

You're right, it was. I explicitly told Jar Jar and the community that I would get to posting that item later in the week. Jar Jar, in his standard childish behavior, decided to make an attempt at making me look stupid or something. Not exactly sure what his point was. In any case, I am at fault for letting his antics get the best of me and falling to his level. I shall try to my utmost to not let it happen again. Thank you for your understanding and patience while "they" play out their little game. :)

I'll be entering a Chili contest later this month and just might share the recipe. However, respondents here seem to be less interested in participating in the purpose of this thread and more on extracurricular activities. I'll keep an eye out for serious posts and make that decision later. :)

JediTricks
10-02-2002, 05:44 PM
Let me say this to everybody, don't concern yourself with who started what, be the bigger man and be the first to end it. If you can do that, then all this can be left behind and these warnings and closed threads and arguments can start to fade away and we can get back to the actual discussions instead of the personalities. I don't want to have to give official warnings or suspensions over this, I don't want to play Mr Daddy Pants and look like the bad guy, I just want to keep these forums being fun for all of us while keeping the content within Steve's rules and guidelines (which are there to keep the forums themselves open).

BTW, I'm not much of a cook, but I am always interested in recipes.

JON9000
10-02-2002, 05:49 PM

I was talking about Pasta Roni. What are you talking about? Please keep the discussion to the topic at hand. Thank you.

I wasn't speaking to you.

mini-rock
10-02-2002, 09:32 PM
JT your right on. BTW, I'm not much of a cook either, but what I do cook I do very well.:)

Stilla, I'm trying that Saturday night. Let you know how it turns out.:)

stillakid
10-26-2002, 04:35 PM

I'll be entering a Chili contest later this month ...

:( Ah, we didn't win. It's a tough life.

Anyhow, the recipe is for Cincinnati Style Chili. If you've ever had Skyline, you'll know what I mean. If you're interested, let me know. :)

Lord Malakite
10-26-2002, 08:44 PM
Anyhow, the recipe is for Cincinnati Style Chili. If you've ever had Skyline, you'll know what I mean. If you're interested, let me know. :)

Skyline is pretty good. :p Then again, so is Gold Star. :D

JediJeff77
10-26-2002, 10:01 PM
I got this from Martha and made it last year for xmas, unfortunately, it takes about an hour to debone the turkey...

This turkey-preparation method offers an elegant presentation—and such a rich combination of flavors, you won’t even miss the wishbone. Each satisfying, boneless slice contains both white and dark meat and savory stuffing, all encased in crisp, maple-glazed skin. Chef Todd English, who brings us this recipe, butterflies the turkey to prepare it for stuffing and cooking—butterflying is a boning technique that makes the meat lie flat.

BONED, ROLLED AND TIED TURKEY
Serve 8 to 10

If you do not want to bone the turkey yourself, you can have a butcher do this.

1 twelve to fourteen pound turkey
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, plus 3 large sprigs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 pound ground turkey
1 pound ground pork (you can also substitute ground turkey or chicken)
1 cup dried bread crumbs
3 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
3 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup maple syrup
Cranberry Compote (recipe follows)
Watercress, for garnish

1. To bone turkey, place it on a work surface, breast side down. Slice skin along backbone from neck to tail. Cut and pull flesh and skin away from carcass. Cut flesh from saber-shaped bone near wing, and remove bone. Sever ball-and-socket wing joints so that they are separated from carcass but still attached to skin. Continue cutting breast meat away from bone up to the ridge of the breastbone. Turn turkey around, and repeat on other side. Pull gently to separate breastbone and carcass flesh (save carcass for homemade turkey stock). Cut off wing tip and middle section, leaving largest wing bone; save for stock. Holding outside of wing bone, cut through tendons; scrape meat from bone. Pull out bone, using knife to free it. Holding inside end of leg bone, cut through tendons attaching the flesh to the bone. Use knife to scrape meat from bone, pushing it away from end of bone. Cut bone free of skin. Cut out any sinews still remaining on leg. Repeat on other side, then push leg and wing skin side out. Butterfly breast so that meat completely covers skin. Cover with plastic wrap. Lightly pound meat until even.

2. Heat oven to 375°. Place a large skillet over medium heat; when it is hot, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onion, garlic, 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary, sage, and mustard. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and translucent but not brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool. Add the ground turkey and pork, bread crumbs, eggs, cream, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the bowl. Stir to combine.

3. Lay turkey breast on a work surface, skin side down, and season with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and remaining 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary. Place stuffing in the middle of the turkey. Roll turkey up to form a long tube; use toothpicks or wooden skewers to hold in place. Tie every 2 inches with kitchen twine. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with remaining teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Tuck rosemary branches along the top of the roll under the twine. Place on roasting rack over a large pan.

4. Roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 150°, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove from oven. Brush with maple syrup. Return to oven, and roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 160° to 165°, about 20 minutes more.

5. Remove from oven, and let rest for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, remove twine, and cut crosswise into 1/2- to 1-inch-thick slices. Place slices on a platter, and garnish with watercress. Serve with cranberry compote.

stillakid
10-26-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite

Skyline is pretty good. :p Then again, so is Gold Star. :D

I haven't tried Gold Star. I'm in Cincy so infrequently, I hate to risk a Chili opportunity. Next time I'm in town I'll give it a shot. :)

James Boba Fettfield
10-26-2002, 11:24 PM
Yeah, as a native to the Cincy area, I believe Gold Star wipes the floor with Skyline.

dr_evazan22
10-27-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
ANybody know any interesting ways to cook a turkey? I am looking to liven up my Thanksgiving this year. :)

My sister has a fryer. She fried up a turkey breast for us that was incrEDIBLE! It was the juiciest turkey I've ever had. You can find the fryers and oil in Home Depot's, and I would assume Lowe's, and probably other stores like Target as well.

In addition to frying the turk, she has this utensil that looks like a huge needle syringe for injecting spices/flavoring. She put some cajun spices in it. It was good!

On top of it being good, the fryer cut the cooking time almost in half.

Good luck!

James Boba Fettfield
10-28-2002, 05:19 PM
Before I entered college, I used to work at a place that fried chicken. I know what you mean about the cooking time being cut in half. I was amazed to see how quickly the food cooked. After working there, it had always been a dream of mine to own such a fryer.

Kidhuman
02-27-2004, 10:31 PM
My favorite recipe

540-639-6144......Dominoes

James Boba Fettfield
02-27-2004, 10:36 PM
That is a fine recipe, KH.

And it is still my dream to own that pressure fryer, possibly a Henny Penny model.

The 'Xir
02-28-2004, 09:34 AM
Here's a great and quick recipe!!!

step 1: take Hot Dog out of packaging!

step2: open microwave

step 3: set microwave on High for 1 minute!

step 4: close microwave and push start

step 5: open microwave, take out Hot Dog, and carefully place on desired bread product, preferrably a Bun!

step 6: Season to taste(ketchup or Mustard is recommeneded)

and Voila!!! the perfect dinner! :D :D :D

Actually I gotta few recipes myself, I'll post when I have more time, but I thought I just try and lighten the mood in here! Christ You wouldn't think mostly 35 and unders would take Cooking so seriously! :stupid: :p :crazed: ;)

Tonysmo
02-29-2004, 12:57 AM
love it when old threads Ive never ever seen surface..

I can share an old family recipe.. but if you make it, and it turns out to be something you want to market, I get a %...

Since Spring is closing in ( faster dammit! ) this should be something you all should try to make at least once. Its typically called a "summer cake" because its kept/served cold.. and most cringe at the name..

Tonysmos family recipe "soda pop cake"

1 box white or yellow cake mix.. either, doesnt matter

2 boxes of banana cream instant pudding

1-2 cans/bottles of Strawberry soda.

a tub of cool whip

bananas

Bake the cake. let it stand for a bit. Poke holes.. Many many holes in the cake.. fork, knife, an extra standby Darth Maul - its your call on how to poke the holes..

once the cake has cooled, and the holes are poked, slowly pour in a can of the strawberry soda., cover the cake. plenty of soda.. leave no poked hole unsoda'ed.

now you should have a cake that looks like a red shredded ruined cake. good.

make your instant banana cream pudding ( sub for vanilla if its too much nanna for you ) before the pudding cools completely ( sets ) pour your mix over the top of the cake. spread evenly. If you are slightly off balance use a level to tell.. ( make sure the pudding isnt total liquid.. half way to setting up?.. yeah. thats it.. )

next slice your bananas.. if no one is watching its exceptable to make lightsaber slashing sounds while this part is accomplished. You will most likely use all of the bananas. Cover the cake, your slices should be at least half inch of 1 inch of slices. depends on how much you like bananas.. ( if you dont like bananas.. this isnt the cake for you )

once you cover your cake with banana slices, pull out the cool whip and cover the entire cake. slide into fridge for cooling/setting.. try to wait an hour before diggin in ( yes, this is the hardest part )

review.

cake
bake
poke
pour
spread
slice
spread again
refrigerate

I'm sure subs can be put in if your not into bananas.. maybe strawberries.. and vanilla pudding.. regardless.. this cake rocks.

enjoy.

and post reviews so I know somew of you at least gave it a shot

2-1B
02-29-2004, 01:52 AM
Xir, you forgot a crucial step in that recipe. :)
--Plunge fork into hot dog before nuking to prevent massive explosions within the weiner.

JBF, I worked for KFC long ago and the pressure fryers we used were incredible. Not exactly "healthy" per se but anytime you have to crank on a 4 spoked handle to seal in the pressure . . . well you know you're in for a tasty meal. :crazed:

And the "oil" we used was not oil but rather block lard which was cut off in chunks with a big kitchen knife. Yikes, my heart feels tight just thinking about it. :dead:

James Boba Fettfield
02-29-2004, 03:11 PM
JBF, I worked for KFC long ago and the pressure fryers we used were incredible. Not exactly "healthy" per se but anytime you have to crank on a 4 spoked handle to seal in the pressure . . . well you know you're in for a tasty meal. :crazed:

And the "oil" we used was not oil but rather block lard which was cut off in chunks with a big kitchen knife. Yikes, my heart feels tight just thinking about it. :dead:

The place I worked at was only two months old when I started and they had the lard blocks, too. They were quickly replaced with the liquid oil. It was so much easier than the solid stuff.

I know exactly what you mean about the four spoked handles. I didn't enjoy cleaning out the bottoms of those fryers where all the filtered crap went. Some people working there ignored all precautions and rules....I think the best part was when this hose came loose out of a fryer as it was pumping oil back into it. Nothing like hot oil flying everywhere. Looking back, I'm surprised I didn't suffer some severe burns.

As for a recipe...fry something. It usually makes things taste better at the expense of your health. Everything from clogged arteries to cancer. I hear fried candy bars are good. I've never had one, but they're popular at the county fairs 'round these parts.

Kidhuman
02-29-2004, 03:24 PM
I worked in Roy Rogers years ago. Cleaning the fryers was funny stuff. When the hose cameoff I took off running. I wasnt staying around for that.

One reciepe that we used to do was, stick your finger in the flour, then the egg wash stuff. Repeat about 50 times until your finger is about 8 inches round. Stick breaded finger into fryer and cook for two minutes. Let finger cool. Eat. Nothing tasted better then breaded human fingers. Of course, you wouldn't eat your own finger.

JediTricks
02-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Here's a great and quick recipe!!!

step 1: take Hot Dog out of packaging!

step2: open microwave

step 3: set microwave on High for 1 minute!

step 4: close microwave and push start

step 5: open microwave, take out Hot Dog, and carefully place on desired bread product, preferrably a Bun!

step 6: Season to taste(ketchup or Mustard is recommeneded)

and Voila!!! the perfect dinner! :D :D :D
You forgot step 5.1: scrape the remains of the exploded Hot Dog off the walls of the microwave.

... rats, I see Caesar just beat me to it. :D

JON9000
03-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Here is my fruit smoothie recipe. Nobody ever complained about this recipe. For those of you who are health conscious, or are trying to drop a few pounds (or a bunch of pounds), this is a really tasty treat!

1 cup of frozen strawberries
1 cup of bananas (about 1 and a half)
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of ice
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of apple juice

Throw it all into a blender (strawberries and ice last).

mmmmm. yummy!

stillakid
03-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Here is my fruit smoothie recipe. Nobody ever complained about this recipe. For those of you who are health conscious, or are trying to drop a few pounds (or a bunch of pounds), this is a really tasty treat!

1 cup of frozen strawberries
1 cup of bananas (about 1 and a half)
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of ice
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of apple juice

Throw it all into a blender (strawberries and ice last).

mmmmm. yummy!

Hmm, I've done something like that but used powdered milk instead for a thicker consistency.

JON9000
03-28-2005, 10:25 PM
The trick is you have to freeze the strawberries. If you just put them in unfrozen, it isn't thick at all. It makes enough for two, but if you eat the whole thing, that's a lot of fruit, which sure beats Dominoes.

CaptainSolo1138
03-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Brushetta Chicken
- 1lb (or so) Boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 box Stove Top stuffing mix (preferably chicken)
- 1 12.5oz. can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 bag mozzerella cheese (I think it's a pound)
- salt, pepper, garlic to taste

*Cube chicken, brown in skillet
*Mix stuffing according to box directions
*Put all ingredients together in a 9x13 dish and bake at 375* for 20-30 min.

My wife has been working alot of hours as of late and I'm becoming quite the culinary artist because of it. Don't tell her that I enjoy it, though. :D

Jargo
03-30-2005, 07:47 PM
2 tablespoons of sugar

YIKES! That's a heck of a lot of sugar. Perhaps I shall have to proffer some recipes myself. :ermm:

JON9000
03-30-2005, 07:58 PM
YIKES! That's a heck of a lot of sugar. Perhaps I shall have to proffer some recipes myself. :ermm:
It makes an entire blender full and could easily serve 2-3 people at about 200 calories each. I haven't tried a sugar substitute.

hestep99
04-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Best recipe
buy a roll of cookie dough
don't heat just eat!
Enjoy!!