PDA

View Full Version : Hardest 12" to open

gsr-jedi
09-29-2002, 11:56 PM
Yesterday I was at TRU and they had a 12" Dewback & Sandtrooper on the shelf for $30. So I open it and whoa, there was twisty-ties up the wahoo; not only was there a lot, all the ones holding the dewback in were doubled up. All in all, it took like 10 minutes to completely free them up.

I was just wondering what you guys thought were the hardest 12" to completely open. I don't have many, but I say the Dewback & Sandtrooper.

derek
09-30-2002, 12:26 AM
hasbro is notorious for over using the twisty ties. i've found that cutting them with scissors is a whole lot faster.:)

mini-rock
09-30-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by derek
i've found that cutting them with scissors is a whole lot faster.:)

Same here. The hardest 12" figures to open that I can remember are all the Portrait Editions. Only because there is cardboard that is attached at the waist with twisty ties, and you have to just about undress the doll in order to get it out. And my wife just happened to walk in my theater room right when I have the doll turned upside down with my hand up the dress. :eek:

Another one was Electronic Jango Fett. I had a hard time with the twisties that were around the arms. PITA!!

Sinister Lord
09-30-2002, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Jango was pretty tough for me to open, it had a lot of combo blister/twist-tie action going on with it, and with all those parts it was a rather complicated and lengthy process to open it and assemble it. It was worthwhile in the end though, it's a kick-butt toy.

I also agree about the Queen Amidala portrait editions. They were complicated too.

Nexu
09-30-2002, 10:32 AM
I have a small pair of cut-off pliers, and they work well. :)

IG65
09-30-2002, 10:35 AM
mini-rock, I am totally with you on the Portrait Editions. I used to display my 12" collection in my office, and was caught in the same compromising position with my hand up Amidala's dress trying to remove the cardboard. :D I had some trouble explaining to my female co-workers exactly "what the hell" I was doing :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, they still give me strange looks . . . ;)

Doc Brown
09-30-2002, 11:02 AM
Yes, the Portrait Editions are definitely the hardest to open!! I've never seen something so hellacious! makes opening a dewpack and Sandtrooper look like a walk in the park. Make sure u have a hack saw and the patience of a surgeon if your thinking of yours lol. ;)

JediTricks
09-30-2002, 08:26 PM
I've already ruined a pair of craftsman wirecutters on twistie ties, so scissors are right out. I've found the 12" biker scout was the worst to get out, but that may have been because of anticipation as well. :D

Master Goeweins
10-01-2002, 12:20 AM
HOWEY MOWEY! You scored a Dewback for $30? Man, that is sweet. Wish my TRU had some left over.......

Yeah, Ultimate Jango was the most time consuming for me!

Exhaust Port
10-02-2002, 09:20 AM
I also put my vote in for the Portrait edition. What exactly are they trying to protect these figures from?

Darth Cruel
10-02-2002, 02:49 PM
That stupid 12" Luke Skywalker and Tauntaun was the worst for me. And after all of the effort, I returned it because it was trash.

But the Dewback was rough as well (I seem to remember getting mine for 20 bucks).

Oh, yeah! And on a side note. I bought my son a little truck (Hot Wheels or similar). And not only did it have the cardboard base with the little plastic eyelits that the twisties were strung through and twisted around, but the point where the twisties crossed was glued! That was the TRUE PITA (I thought I was the only one who used that and I wonder if fafita pitas are named that because the are so much trouble to eat)!

Jayspawn
10-02-2002, 11:36 PM
I'd have to say the Dewback and Sandtrooper has the most twisties. Untimate Boba Fett is a runner up. THey are annoying as hell. Pliers work great for removing them, just I don't have them available half the time.

JediBoulton
10-03-2002, 03:30 PM
I would have to vote for Ultimate Jango -- soo many Ties and so little time to get it open. The Luke and Speederbike was a fun one also -- many ties there as well.

On a side note to Jedi Tricks -- I hope you took your craftsman pliars back to Sears -- Replaced for Life!! :)

JediTricks
10-03-2002, 07:44 PM
The wirecutters are part of a set, so apparently I have to go through some song and dance to get them replaced. I will eventually, but for now, I have a big, meaty, greasy pair of wirecutters that are doing the job (though they're too big for some jobs).

JediBoulton
10-04-2002, 08:29 AM
Thats great JediTricks -- something I used (and got in SERIOUS trouble) was my wife's manacure set; it has these littie pair of sissors that are pointed and curved and very sharp. Didnt look like she used them so I used them to cut open my Jango.

The bruse on my arm is almost gone now and I am starting to feel my legs again...

Can I borrow those wirecutters??

JediTricks
10-04-2002, 05:07 PM
I'm surprised those nail scissors didn't shatter, these wires are getting really tough.

mini-rock
10-04-2002, 06:40 PM
I always thought the older figures had thicker wire than the new ones.:)

For those of you who might be interested I saw this at ebay for $29.99 w/ $2.00 s/h for 12" Dewback & Sandtrooper. Check it out HERE. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Viewitem&item=1774811128)

Good Luck. :)

Turbowars
10-19-2002, 02:19 PM
12" figures are not hard to open phyically for me, it's hard mentaly. I'm a MIB collector, but I just opened a Clone and he's awesome

Turbowars
10-19-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
I always thought the older figures had thicker wire than the new ones.:)

For those of you who might be interested I saw this at ebay for $29.99 w/ $2.00 s/h for 12" Dewback & Sandtrooper. Check it out HERE. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Viewitem&item=1774811128)

Good Luck. :) Man, the auction ended at $44. You would have thought that someone would have grabbed it for 29.99 and the shiping was only 2 bucks. That's how e-bay makes their money, on morons

mini-rock
10-19-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
Man, the auction ended at $44. You would have thought that someone would have grabbed it for 29.99 and the shiping was only 2 bucks. That's how e-bay makes their money, on morons

I know what you mean. I don't know how many times I've seen something BIN for hells cheap and people end up bidding almost twice as much for it. Ithought for sure someone from here would have jumped all over that BIN price. Especially for only $32 bucks with shipping.

Turbowars
10-19-2002, 02:41 PM

I know what you mean. I don't know how many times I've seen something BIN for hells cheap and people end up bidding almost twice as much for it. Ithought for sure someone from here would have jumped all over that BIN price. Especially for only $32 bucks with shipping. Hey Rock, when they went on sale at my TRU for 29.99 I passed on them, the next day when I was in my right mind, I went back to get a few, one for me and one for my 4 year old cousin, they were gone! What a moron, LOL

mini-rock
10-19-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
Hey Rock, when they went on sale at my TRU for 29.99 I passed on them, the next day when I was in my right mind, I went back to get a few, one for me and one for my 4 year old cousin, they were gone! What a moron, LOL

:eek: Sorry man. If I see another one for a good deal I'll post here. :)

Turbowars
10-19-2002, 03:08 PM

:eek: Sorry man. If I see another one for a good deal I'll post here. :) I have 2 of them, I was just making a point. Later

Tycho
10-19-2002, 03:23 PM
For me, it's the 12" Bikerscout on Speederbike (or Luke, for that matter).

I don't have either the 2 scouts or Luke opened even as of now. I buy everything to open - it's just the lack of room to set them up for one reason that's stopping me.

The other is the sheer perfection of the Bikerscout on Speederbike.

Boxed or loose, this is the perfect Star Wars 12" piece!

My top 3 hover around 14" Electronic Vader, the speederbike / scout trooper set, and Ultimate Bounty Hunter Jango.

I probably like Vader the best, because he is Vader, but making the call on the other 2 is very tough.

I also totally love the E2 Electronic Figures. They are REALLY fun to play with - especially Obi-Wan with that lightup lightsaber. I saw Turbowars' custom lightup Anakin and thought it rocked! I really want to see them continue to make this electronic feature on Jedi and Sith figures.

But back to the topic, I bought BOTH Speederbikes to open (scout ones, and additionally the Luke). I'm ultimately wanting a Leia Endor figure (hopefully WITHOUT a bike) to put riding double with Luke against the two original scouts they took off after. Or I can give Leia the 2nd scout's bike and make the trooper fight Han.

To do with nothing: I just realized that the Deluxe Clonetrooper's Speederbike might support BOTH Luke and Leia's 3 3/4" figures riding together! I'll have to try that out!