PDA

View Full Version : Should Hasbro make a modern figure of Warok?

Tycho
09-30-2002, 02:26 AM
See Warok now! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=181488)

As promised, in a slowly continuing series of polls to examine whether our readers want all the vintage figures remade for the modern collection, this week we look at the Ewok Warok.

He is one of the tribe's warriors who helped Chewbacca capture an AT-ST in the Battle of Endor.

Previously:

78% of our readers voted YES for a modern version of a human B-wing Pilot. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13618)

89% of our readers voted YES for a modern version of General Madine. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10936)

93% of our readers voted YES for a new version of the Imperial Dignitary (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4107)

and

88% of our readers voted YES for a new action figure for Romba the Ewok. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2435)

There are about 15 figures at the most, which existed as Kenner Star Wars figures from the 1980's that Hasbro has not remade in an all new likeness of.

So should Hasbro add a modern version of Warok to our present-day collections?

Look at the image before you vote, then select an answer, and then we'll talk about "why" or "why not?"

roguematt7
09-30-2002, 03:32 AM
I would guess that before all is said and done for Star Wars toys, each character will be made (or remade, as the case may be) eventually... At least I hope that's the case.

I think Hasbro should make some more playsets to go with the figures... There's only a hand full of the playsets and how many Lukes? Mauls..? Wouldn't it be neat to have a Sarlacc pit to feed our skiff guards to?

Beast
09-30-2002, 04:09 AM
I'm all for Hasbro finishing off the remaining vintage figures that need redone, including Leia: Bespin Gown, and the silver version of the Death Star Droid, that appeared in the Sandcrawler. They need to fix a few of their major flop figures as well, like Lobot and R5-D4. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
09-30-2002, 06:07 AM
Well, I voted NO, I don't want any more Ewoks.

However, I am also in favor of Hasbro finishing off the vintage figures.

I just hope that if/when they re-make this guy he will be the LAST from the vintage line.:eek:

jedi_uk73
09-30-2002, 07:47 AM
I'm all for Hasbro making newer versions of any figures that were last seen in the vintage range, Madine, Dignitary etc etc.

If that also includes Ewoks, yes ANYTHING !!

thespar
09-30-2002, 11:51 AM
give us more ewoks.

Darth Vellner
09-30-2002, 01:01 PM
yes, i want him made....along with a dozen or so more ewoks

bigbarada
09-30-2002, 01:37 PM
Yes, we need more modern ewoks. They should all be individually carded also. Of the four ewoks we have gotten from the modern line (Logray, Wickey, Teebo and Paploo) only Teebo was carded by himself and he is also the only one who looks halfway decent. Hasbro doesn't seem to put as much work into multi-pack or pack-in figures.

Rogue II
09-30-2002, 04:01 PM
Yes we need more Ewoks.

Yes Hasbro needs to complete the vintage line-up in the modern collection.

Teebo was a POTJ figure while Wicket and Logray were POTF2 figures. As a whole, POTJ figures are much better than the POTF2 figures, so I don't want to blame the lack of detail of Wicket and Logray on the fact that they came as part of a 2-pack.

I would like for Hasbro to either make Ewoks in 2-packs or with more accessories. I felt slightly ripped off buying a $6 Teebo by himself. I'm sure I will feel redeemed when I buy Ephant Mon for $5.

OzOtter
09-30-2002, 04:31 PM
I don't get these people who don't like ewoks. Personally I love them, and they are half the reason I got into Star Wars as a kid.

But when it comes to figures, even the ewok-haters should be requesting them! If they don't like ewoks - don't buy them. And if they REALLY don't like ewoks, they should buy them so that their amassed imperial troops and AT-STs can squash them! See, everybody wins! :)

LusiferSam
09-30-2002, 06:56 PM
I've also like the ewoks, so yes we more in figure form. As a kid Warok was the only POFT figure I had on a card (not that I keep carded figures) and was one of my favorite ewoks (because he came with a bow). And I'm all for finishing the vintage line.

Rogue II
09-30-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by OzOtter
I don't get these people who don't like ewoks. Personally I love them, and they are half the reason I got into Star Wars as a kid.

I will admit, I used to be an "Ewok Figure Hater." However, thanks to the people in these very forums, I was converted. I now understand the importance of Ewoks.

You just have to respect a bunch of little vicious furry things that can beat down some of the Emperor's Best. And since Hasbro has only produced 5 Ewoks in the modern line, it is hard to re-enact the Battle of Endor. Although, I do have a nice little Endor Rebel Soldier army.:D

mahondo
10-01-2002, 04:35 AM
Warok should definately be remade considering he was instrumental in helping to swing the Battle of Endor the way of the Alliance. Hasbro should remake Romba and Lumat as well as some baby Ewoks as they were on the first ROTJ bubblegumcards I got when I was a kid and they were prettty cute!
The multipacks should be left for the more generic Ewoks thus supplying the armybuilders the resources to fully re enact the Battle of Endor. Different sculpts too I might add, as the hang-glider ewok was just a Wicket repaint.Chargrilled carbonized Ewoks would also make cool corpses!

YodaBoba
10-01-2002, 07:35 AM
I agree Warok should to remade. Hasbro needs to remake the ones from the original line, that were not made yet. They should remake other Ewoks as well. Hasbro needs to listen to collectors and well as kids. Collectors want to see some remake of the original line. I hope Hasbro remakes Warok along with other ones that were not made yet from the 1977 to 1985.

OC47150
10-01-2002, 07:57 AM
Yes, I'd like to see more Ewoks but I'd like to see other vintage figures (Imperial dignitaries) more and first.

Tycho
10-01-2002, 01:53 PM
I was just excited to learn that the Silver Death Star Droid was coming with the Sandcrawler!

That takes care of one of them! 14 to go:

Romba- polled for
Imp Dig - polled for
Gen. Madine - polled for
Human B-wing Pilot - polled for
Warok - current poll
Klaatu (Jabba's Palace)
Cloud Car Pilot
Black Bespin Security Guard
Chief Chirpa
Leia Bespin Gown (plastic/carded)
Hoth Rebel Soldier (no goatee, but like acc. pack uniform)
Blue Snaggletooth (undo Kenner error w. new authentic figure)
Lumat
Paploo (a real figure, not a mix-mash of Wicket / Teebo parts)

Now with the Silver Death Star Droid, ALL the other vintage figures have been re-done.

There's some argument about variations on Jabba's Skiff Guards and the uniform rank and style of the Imperial Officer, Han Hoth is getting an accurate carded resculpt, Leia and Luke Endor could be redone and carded with lots of removeable accessories, and R2 that launches a lightsaber could be remade much better! I think the Imperial Death Star Gunner also has variations in uniform styles - we have an on-duty dude from ANH, the vintage was a ROTJ gunner out of radiation protecting armor (from the Emperor's arrival scene).

These are minor discrepencies, but we won't get them all without Ewoks. I myself want at least 2-3 more Ewoks over all the vintage characters being redone. The mother with baby woklings is one for sure! :)

YodaBoba
10-02-2002, 07:07 AM
I agree with a lot of people on Warok. But I agree with Typho. I would like to see a resulpt of General Madine, Imperial Dig., Klaatu (not the Skiff Guard that came with the Jabba's Skiff Guard 3 Pack), Romba, Lumat, a Black Cloud City Guard, and a Cloud City Pilot (possibly packed with a Cloud Car Vehicle) would be nice.

aikman
10-03-2002, 10:36 AM
Have any of these 'would you buy this figure' polls EVER been anything short of a landslide 'yes'?

I just dont see what the point is.

If you go to a concert and take a poll 'who likes music?' you would yield similiar uninteresting results.

Beast
10-03-2002, 02:17 PM
Aikman, you do realise that you don't have to take part in these polls, if you consider them so stupid. Hasbro does keep an eye on the on-line fanbase. Maybe a good showing by a particular charecter will make Hasbro produce the charecter's figure sooner then planned. I swear you have to be one of the most negative people in regards to polls and Hasbro on the entire site. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

OzOtter
10-03-2002, 05:49 PM
Why hasn't Chief Chirpa been polled for?!! That's the ewok I want done most of all (although the dodgy job they did with Paploo, warrants his re-doing). He's the chief. The CHIEF!

And a second point (which may be more indicative of what Hasbro perceives its chief market... or it may not), surely the kids love ewoks! I did. When I talk to today's kids about ewoks they tend to love 'em too! What's the go Hasbro? Are you catering to the kids or not. If not, I want my Dannik Jerriko!

...please.

mahondo
10-03-2002, 06:59 PM
Well the silver DeathStarDroid is (good)news to me...and Chief Chirpa should come with his own wooden throne and pipe!
Figures like Hoth soldier should come in a multipack or with another major character like General Riekkan. I know these multipacks can have weaker sculpts, but they would be good value for the kids and the collectors. Even though the black Security Guard loooks mighty sharp in his Bespin duds, he would look even finer with the greyhaired guard along side him, maybe with a carbonite block that lights up! Hey, these polls are for fantasizing aren't they? Klaatu...Hermi Odle...Viggriev(Elom).... Doallyn...2ndWeequay...Whiphid...mmmm...Yarna!....

Jargo
10-03-2002, 08:04 PM
I vote yes to all unmade characters, but no to slingshot firing gimmicks or bow shooting gimmicks. If i want my figures to perform an action I'll use my imagination thanks and do it for them I don't want to have figures saddled with bow dropping action or slingshot parkinsons spasm action. Just the figure, articulation and nice accessories thanks very much.

But definately a big yes to more Ewoks and Ewok accessories.

AdmiralPiett
10-03-2002, 11:43 PM
In addition to mother with woklings, I'd also like the little black Ewok that sits in the AT-ST with Chewie.
Piett

OzOtter
10-04-2002, 10:06 AM
I want them to make that one that has that massive skull on his head. You know the one? Not Logray with the bird skull, or Teebo with the pig's head. He's never been done before, but he's very cool looking. Would make a great figure, he downplays the cute factor, with a big skull... on his head... Help me out here?

Tycho
10-04-2002, 11:37 AM
The guy with the big skull can be seen clearly when Leia comes out of the Ewok hut to see what's cooking *Han in this case...:rolleyes:

He is very cool, in addition to all original 8 being done, I'd be satisfied with "Big Skull" and the Mama w. the Woklings in the basket. Maybe one more little older Wokling that can stand on its own, too - like the Tusken child.

The action features that are too apparent, like the new Mace, ruin the figures for the broadest market range, as collectors won't want it. If the action features can be disguised, I like them - i.e. Dooku.

I chose to do the unproduced polls in reverse release order - digging way back to things like the Silver Death Star Droid or Blue Snaggletooth last. Warok was a POTF coin figure, while Chief Chirpa will be the next Ewok polled for, he was also ROTJ.

It is not a question of whether there will be a resounding "yes" for these last 14 (now) figures. It serves 2 purposes:

a) it lets Hasbro know it's a yes, sort of as well as a petition would.

b) It eliminates any "no's". So far, we did Imperial Dignitary, Romba, General Madine, and then we did a HUMAN B-WING PILOT from Gold Group.

Hasbro might ask:

1) do they want a pilot without a ship? (it was an exclusive ship even - which came with its own pilot)

2) For how many people is it important to for the figure to be the identical representation of the vintage B-wing pilot? (it's a non-character after all)

3) Will people just buy it because it is a SW figure? Or could removeable helmet, gun in holster, other things turn a less interesting figure into something cool?

4) Isn't that Arvel Crynid guy close enough to satisfy them? (or do they know that wasn't Crynid - a blonde haired Green Group A-wing pilot, while the poll was for a helmeted, Gold Group (red uniform) HUMAN B-wing pilot (different helmet style all-together).

5) Is this something diorama builders would find useful? (another reason to buy it)

So the figure is controversial and the poll MIGHT be interesting. But enough people wanted it. The majority wins. If they want to gauge demand on it, then they will see it can sell. If YOU don't personally want it, don't buy it or stop being a completist.

To bring us back to this poll, the Ewoks Romba, Warok, and Lumat (not yet polled for) are all about as important as the Human B-wing pilot (though Ewok hating could play a factor). Those that want these figures want to demonstrate to Hasbro that it would be in their best interest to create and market these figures. Those that don't want them, don't care, should not either not vote and / or not buy the figure.

If you don't care, you can still choose the yes or no option.

Yes - you'll let others who really want the character to get support.

or No - you don't want to "have" to buy this one, or have it take up space in an assortment you wished contained more exciting things. But likely, all the movie stuff would get done anyway, and obscure Ewoks are more likely the ones people that want them have to worry about seeing them get produced, if at all.

OzOtter
10-04-2002, 02:26 PM
Oh, I didn't realise that the polls were going in reverse release order. Thankyou for clearing that up.

But just to let you know, I'm likely to vote yes on anything! Is this more like an opportunity to exress HOW we'd like to see the figure done, should it be made?

Tycho
10-05-2002, 04:12 AM
When it comes to re-making Blue Snaggletooth, it will indeed.

I plan to offer a picture of several possibilities, because Blue Snaggletooth was actually a mistake because KENNER had a black-and-white of Zutton, and he was sitting, so they never knew how tall he was until Blue-Dude was in production. They released Blue with an exclusive Sears set (how I got my 4 guys) and then all of them, with a red, short Zutton, were available carded.

So, one choice will be a pic of the vintage Kenner - for an exact duplicate, only w. POTF2/POTJ/Saga line realism to a blue Zutton figure.

Another choice will be an Alien Bespin Guard. He was never scene in the movie, though an extra was costumed for the role. One false rumor said he was the reason Kenner goofed.

Another choice was a tall Snivvian (same species as Zutton) that may not have been a Snivvian. It wears a blue loose, and typically casual Cloud City citizen fatigues.

Accompanying it is another choice - a short, obviously Snivvian alien, also on Cloud City, also wearing blue.

They're all irrelevant background characters, but nice for diorama builders to add to populations, and also nice for carded collector guys to get some more variety and original sculpts. SW figures are like art. But how much "art of Obi-Wan Kenobi or Tatooine Luke" do you want? So a Blue Snaggletooth or some sort, or the 5th or 6th Jango Fett (in armor) figure? People can show how much they'd support the first choice in the poll.

Beast
10-05-2002, 04:23 AM
Are these the two Aliens that you are talking about Tycho?

Another choice was a tall Snivvian (same species as Zutton) that may not have been a Snivvian. It wears a blue loose, and typically casual Cloud City citizen fatigues.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
10-05-2002, 04:26 AM
Here's the other one. I think this is likely the one that would get made if they were to make a "Blue Snaggletooth", because the other charecter says her species is Lutrillian. :)

Accompanying it is another choice - a short, obviously Snivvian alien, also on Cloud City, also wearing blue.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
10-05-2002, 04:47 AM
Yes, JarJar. And while it's feeding from the bottom of the barrel for Empire Strikes Back, I would like to see both of these figures made anyway.

I would vote for the character that actually IS a Snivvian to replace the original Kenner blue Snaggletooth. However, I'd hope for a head re-paint with the new sculpt, if not a new head altogether.

But I'd choose either of these over a strict height-change / repaint of Zutton as he is now on the POTJ card. - That's a great figure, but we don't need the similarities to be as close as they were back in 1979.

Thanks for posting those images, JarJar. I'll use them blended into the poll when I compose the graphic. Now I won't have to scan my SW Encyclopedia :happy:

jjreason
10-07-2002, 02:18 AM
I asked for an Ewok "Tribe Builder" set in Dear Hasbro, so Ill answer yes to this. Why not make all 4 not-yet-made vintage Ewoks new again, and pack them together via the fanclub?

Good, get crackin' then.....

Jargo
10-07-2002, 08:24 AM
No thank you. The fanclub doesn't serve my kind. Fine make a tribe builder pack but make it widely available. The only reason for exclusives is the larger stuff regular retailers won't carry. four figures packed together is more likely to sell considering the size of these things than one ewok alone. Or just a 2-pack of ewoks followed by a second 2-pack of ewoks in a different wave. Only the churlish hate ewoks still after all this time. I say these things would sell. If it was JarJar I doubt he'd move far from the pegs, he's the new pariah of star wars. It's time for the prodigal ewok to return to the fold and get that re-release he so richly deserves.

Tycho
10-07-2002, 08:58 AM
One thing a lot of people seem to do - ever since the Jawa, Ewok, and Ugnaught 2-packs, is seem to think we need 2 figures per card to get the value.

Like it costs Hasbro less because they are smaller.

That makes no difference. It's the cost of the mold castings that creates their price.

Every new sculpt requires 1 torso, 1 head, 2 arms, and 2 legs. Plus if you look at Teebo, 2 hands, a hood, and accessories - which they could paint as well as the figure if they put their time into it.

We were just lucky when we got 2 Ewoks on a card. Hasbro also then felt that there was significant Ewok-hatred that they had to show a value for the figures.

Jawas and Ugnaughts remain less poseable, less articulate (until the CommTech Jawa, that is).

Sometimes it's their choice to spend a little more than the average figure cost to give us more on the card. It's a marketing decision to give us more, not a cost-cutter giving us less (when there's only one Ewok per card).

Now Romba, Warok, and Lumat might be more obscure to "non-vintage age" collectors, so putting them out in a 3-pack with all new figures (like Jabba's Dancers or Skiff Guards) might be the way to go. As long as we get them....

Jargo
10-07-2002, 02:11 PM
cinema scene 3-packs are among the most hopeless preposed figures out there. A 3-pack would be worse than a 2-pack. Personally I didn't see the need for Teebo's wrist articulation and it only seemed added in to justify packing him solo. I'd rather have ewoks with no wrist articulation packed two to a blister frankly. they only need shoulder and hip articulation. Worked fine before and they didn't suffer for it.

A new jawa 2-pack would also be welcome. If they could shove one with articulation on a card with a gonk droid they could do the same with a second jawa with lesser articulation. Either way it's new jawas and one with excellent poseability. Long as they were both new sculpts who's losing? Same with the Ewoks.

Rogue II
10-07-2002, 02:29 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love Jawas. But we don't we have 4 different sculpts? Do we need another version? I don' think any of the existing sculpts are all that bad. I doubt we will ever see a soft goods jawa (like the vintage line).

I would rather have Hasbro re-release some of the existing jawas on new cards and have their designers working on new figures.

Now, onto the 1-2-or 3-pack discussion. There is a sense of value when it comes to figures. How do you feel when you look at that little POTJ Teebo you paid $5.99 for compared to the $5.00 gigantic figures like Ephant Mon and Dexter Jettster?

Bryan Segal
10-09-2002, 12:15 AM
I agree that all the classic figures should be made. If it was up to me all the people in the movies would have been made already, and instaed of 20 tatooine lukes I would have just made differant versions of troops, ie. the stormtroopers, imperial officers and such. It's good to see Hasbro is finally doing something like that with the beard and no beard endor soldiers. I'm all for making every figure. After all we the collectors are the ones fueling the markets not the kids. On that note I say, if you do make all the old Ewoks, no spring loaded arm throwing actions, just good sculpts

Tycho
10-09-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Bryan Segal
On that note I say, if you do make all the old Ewoks, no spring loaded arm throwing actions, just good sculpts

Now there's a scary idea!

I definitely want new Ewoks, but why give Hasbro dumb ideas:

Action featured Ewoks!

I can see it now :rolleyes:

1) A RESCULPT of Wicket uses a button on his back to make him smack himself in the head! A rock is included.

2) New Logray comes with a lever like Anakin HD's, so we have the first Ewok with Lightsaber twirling action - packed with Luke's Jedi saber of course....

3) Finally a figure of Warok is released with a sound chip so you can recreated those uh...."Ewokee Noises" in the privacy of your own home. A button on his back makes him go into Threepio worshipping actions, also handy for recreating what you see on "The Animal Planet Channel."

4) Lumat comes with gigantic bow and arrow action. The arrow is longer than Chewbacca is tall to prevent kids from swallowing it. 5 more Ewoks are required to help him wield his weapon.

5) Like Acklay Combat Obi-Wan, a new Total Control Romba (made of Jabba Glob soft plastic) has a spear throwing action activated by a giant clear knob in his back. Squeezing the soft, pliant material also causes farting noises to occur!

6) Finally, a new Ewok character never-made-before comes out with blast-apart-action like the Super-BattleDroid. This simulates Scoutwalker damage to the Ewok artillery line. Oh yes, the fun flies in all directions!

New from Hasbro: The Endor Action Line!!!

Pick it up wherever Star Wars figures pegwarm!:D

Rogue II
10-09-2002, 06:43 AM
You forgot the "Run like heck" Ewok. You pull back and let him go, like the Accessory Pack Mouse Droid.

Tycho
06-17-2003, 02:01 AM
Again, Warok could be done for Return of the Jedi's anniversary year, completing one more of the vintage figures yet to be redone.