PDA

View Full Version : New Sandcrawler ! (MERGED)

187-Maul
09-30-2002, 08:46 AM
galactichunter has posted some pics of the new saga sandcrawler which will include two pack-in figures
here's the link

Jargo
09-30-2002, 09:10 AM
Nice paint job but what a shame it's still the vintage mold. Nevertheless any sandcrawler is better than none so I'll be attempting to buy it.
It realy is a nice paint job on that prototype but I wonder how it'll translate to finished product, loks awfully complicated to turn out looking that good. The jawa and RA-7 droid are what I'd expect as pack-ins and I'm not overly impressed with the paint job on the droid. I think i did a better job on mine. But it's another Jawa for the clan and a saved job for those who don't want to deface a figure. Wonder what the pricepoint will be on this, reckone somewhere near the price of the shuttle? And who's going to have the exclusive? hopefully Walmart cuz those are easier to get hold of. Possibly Target but I hope and pray it's not FAO again. After the way they behaved with the shuttle exclusive I wouldn't give them the offcuts from the factory floor.

Thinking again, I doubt I'd have room for a bigger sandcrawler so yeah, I'll buy this diddy version. It's a nice paint job, did I say that already...? :p

gibbspaulus
09-30-2002, 09:18 AM
The scale was the first thing that caught my eye - it's far more out of scale than any other vehicle. I mean - AT-At size would be okay. I wonder what the features inside are like. You can see 'bits' through the viewport on the side.

JediBoulton
09-30-2002, 09:20 AM
It needs to be BIGGER !! I have never seen the old one -- but it should be BIGGER!!!

Still cool though...:)

Prince Xizor
09-30-2002, 09:21 AM
The paint job is awesome, I will be sure to pick this one up.

And I agree, I hope to God it's not an FAO exclusive. I really don't want to have to give my money to those people.

JangoFart
09-30-2002, 11:33 AM
Looks good, but, as most have noted, it's too small. Of course, a scale version would probably be the size of a Volkswagon, but they could have made it at least AT-AT or Republic Gunship or Shuttle sized.

J

The Overlord Returns
09-30-2002, 11:42 AM
pretty much just echoing what everyone else stated......great looking...needs to be a bit bigger....

ofcourse, when I was a kid, my sandcrawler seemed huge ...

Old Fossil
09-30-2002, 11:43 AM
I will buy it. I will buy two, or three, if I can find 'em. As Jargo mentioned, the paint job on the droid leaves something to be desired; hopefully, the finished product will be more... silvery. But the weathered look on the Sandcrawler itself is marvellous.

I am very, very glad to see this!!! Finally, a Star Wars toy I can REALLY look forward to!!!

Now we just need a good R5-D4...

jedi_uk73
09-30-2002, 12:05 PM
Looks good, but yes it does need to be bigger.

Seems as though Hasbro are taking shortcuts again... WHERES THE ELECTRONICS ??

Theyv'e done exactly the same as they are doing with the re-issue Shuttle, at least we get 2 figures with the Sandcrawler though. So electronics I could do without.

I hope that it is NOT an exclusive, as trying to get them here in the UK, costs a packet.:(

U.K.BOY
09-30-2002, 12:10 PM
Got to be a maximum of $40.

Since it is quite a small vehicle and there will be a large number of potential customers on this one, the box needn't be much bigger than that of the POTJ Snowspeeder, so I would be amazed at a price any greater than my estimate.

Happy hunting peeps.

UKBOY.

Battle Droid
09-30-2002, 12:13 PM
Some new sculpt droids would've been nice.

Beast
09-30-2002, 12:18 PM
Well, not to sound like everyone else, but I also wish that it would have been a larger sculpt. But hot damn does it look kick arse. The paint job really makes this nice looking, and the pack-ins are nice. I figured there was no way in hell we would get RA-7 on a card. Nice to see they chose him as a pack-in, since most pack-ins are always rehashes. Knock one more off the ole list of figures that need remade from the vintage line. Hopefully as also was said above, Hasbro is frustrated with the trouble FAO caused and they don't offer them this exclusive. Wal-Mart, TRU, or Target, in that order please Hasbro. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Beast
09-30-2002, 12:21 PM
U.K.Boy, it's not that small of a vehicle. It's about equal in size to the Shuttle Tyderium or the main body of the AT-AT. BigB (I think) has a picture around here somewhere. So I think it may have to be a bit higher then $40.00. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
09-30-2002, 12:21 PM
Uh, okay guys. I'm officially drooling!

THIS IS FRICKING AWESOME!!!

All of you whining about scale are totally unrealistic. As big as an AT-AT? Heck, the body of it is! Seriously, come on. Most of an AT-AT is legs. It'd be totally cost prohibitive to do this ship that size. Plus, I have no idea where I'd find a home for that! This one will sit nicely on my desk . . .

The vintage is something I've always coveted! Ever since I seriously goofed and told my Mom that what I REALLY wanted was the Falcon... (She WAS all set to get me the Sandcrawler... but no! I had to open up my little seven year mouth and blab it away. Idiot! Yes, it's true, folks! Listen to your Mother!) And, now at long last, I will be getting one that looks wayyyyyyy better.

As far as the pack-ins go --- hey, they're fine by me. I'll definitely be needing a few more Jawas now. A silver Deathstar droid? Sure why not? Can't wait to find out who gets this. Simply can't wait. Gee, I haven't been THIS excited about a new Star Wars toy . . .Ever!

bigbarada
09-30-2002, 12:50 PM
This looks awesome! I figured all along that it would simply reuse the vintage mold and I don't have a problem with that at all. I will definitely buy this and maybe a few more Jawas and droids to jam inside.

This is one rumor that I am glad to see finally taking shape.:)

Jargo
09-30-2002, 01:39 PM
For those who haven't ever seen the vintage version here is a comparison of the old versus new as seen in Steve Sansweets action figure archive book and this new shot from Mike Sullingers galactic hunter site.
I think that covers the credits now here's the pics.

U.K.BOY
09-30-2002, 01:47 PM
I think it is about 9 inches high so I don't see any reason for it to be an expensive vehicle.

It also will have no electronics and is a very simple vehicle to produce and doesn't have small parts to mould/produce.

Lets recap :-

Wheels, no biggie,

Basic ladder,

Droid "suction" tube.

Repaint or "throw in" of existing overproduced POTF2 figures.

Nothing complicated to see here,

I will stick with $40.

Will wait for a price with anticipation.

UKBOY.

odb
09-30-2002, 02:12 PM
I really ca't get excited by this one. Don't get me wrong, all credit to Hasbro for listening to collectors and reproducing vintage vehicles but, it really needs to be bigger.

Yes the mold from the vintage one is well detailed and the new paint job is good but its too small. I've seen a vintage one and its one memorable factor was its size,ie being too small.

Anyway thats my two cents.

Chiesa
09-30-2002, 02:13 PM
Thanks EMPEROR JARGO for the comparision pic!! I for one do not have the vintage sandcrawler! So i can't really do a good comparision and comment much... But thanks to that pic, I must say that the paint job on the new saga sandcrawler looks superb as compared to the old (naturally it had better be) The difference is really one that should leave most of us demanding customers/collectors really really happy...

Also the pack ins is another welcome touch... Its really really awesome to say the least... :) Bigger? Well I aren't too particular about that, I wouldn't know where to put that thing if its tooo freaking huge!! hehe...

So great job and great thread... looking forward to get my hands on it!!

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

Darth Sidious
09-30-2002, 02:18 PM
I need it. I NEED IT!!!!!!!!! It looks wonderful! I hope it is widely distributed...

Jayspawn
I don't think it looks too bad. I've been wanting a Sandcrawler to put my Jawas in. The repainted Death Star Droid is a plus. Good detail on the figures and vehicle. Shouldn't be too expensive I hope.

thespar
i would like to pick one up if it does not cost too much and it is easy to find

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-30-2002, 04:38 PM
Yay, RA-7! :)

Oh . . . and a sandcrawler . . . :D

Really now, I do want it a lot.

badtaste
09-30-2002, 04:40 PM
Check out the pics at
www.galactichunter.com!!!

Darth Sidious
09-30-2002, 04:42 PM
This was already mentioned in another thread. But your intent (To let people see the Sandcrawler) was good. This will most likely be merged, however. :)

Beast
09-30-2002, 04:42 PM
*points you to the previous thread about this*

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14877

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
09-30-2002, 04:45 PM
Nothing to see here folks, Just a Merging . . . . . . . Nothing to see:D

OzOtter
09-30-2002, 05:27 PM
I just found out about this today. Ever since the line started again in '95 I have wanted this vehicle. I vividly remember reading something from Hasbro saying it would never be done, it just wouldn't be cost effective. But there it is.

I don't care that it has no electronics (I prefer it actually -$$), I don't care if it's not to scale (even if they made it bigger, they would never make it to scale). If these are the things that have had to be sacrificed to see it made, it doesn't bother me a bit.

Thank you Hasbro.

Rogue II
09-30-2002, 05:34 PM
Well, I always wanted a vintage Sandcrawler. Now, I can get a one the details and pack-in figures of the modern line.

plo koon 200
09-30-2002, 05:38 PM
Virst Tie Bomber, then Gunship and Shuttle Tydirum and now the Sandcrawler. I don;t give damn if it is on scale or not but its detail is amazing and no more electronics. I really wanted a striped away version for as long as I coudl think of. This vehicle has been top on my list for remakes. It is not perfect but it is a million times better than the vintage version. I can't wait to get it.

rynobot
09-30-2002, 06:17 PM
everthing is cost effective when they just repaint the vintage stuff.

Beast
09-30-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by rynobot
everthing is cost effective when they just repaint the vintage stuff.
Yeah, cause we know they have a giant room of the vintage version that they just are gonna slap new paint jobs on. It is alot of work getting these things made. :crazed: :p

You do realise that it's not as simple as a straight repaint. First they need to take a mold from the vintage version, because the only molds are usually lost, destroyed, damaged, or in private collector's hands.

So that means pulling a mold off of the vintage toy, and using that to make the new ship. But wait, since your pulling a mold from somthing that came from a mold, your going to loose detail.

So they have to retool the molds, putting the detail back in. Usually they also add more detail to the mold. Then they start production using the new molds.

Then they have to design and apply paintjobs to all of those sandcrawlers. And in this case the newly designed paintjob is a huge improvement over the vintage version. It was molding in a single color, with no accent painting.

Then you have packaging to design, cost, and print all those boxes that will contain the vehicle. Along with that they have to crank up production of the Jawa and Death Star Droid figures, making minor changes or major changes to both figures. Yeah, it's nothing at all to cranking these babies out. :p

BTW, the vintage version was $49.99. Even with the removal of the remote control features, I doubt that it's going to be any cheaper then that. Likely it's going to be more, just like all the vintage vehicles in the modern lines. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
09-30-2002, 06:39 PM
i like the vintage better....i have no idea why, though...it just looks...more orange (which is my favirote color!)
h

Old Fossil
09-30-2002, 06:41 PM
SINCE our beloved Sandcrawler here will have 2 pack in figures -- a bonus which we seldom see these days (POTJ Snowspeeder and POTF2 AT-AT are notable exceptions) -- maybe it is possible the ol' Shuttle will have a couple of pack-in figs.

Well, it IS possible.

I think you're right, Jar Jar; 50 bucks sounds right for this one, but not more.

All hail the Sandcrawler! All hail Hasbro! I am moved to verse...

Old Fossil
09-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Hango, are you mad, sir?

mark2d2
09-30-2002, 06:44 PM
I'm with you, JarJar. Seriously.

People just don't know how cool this ship is going to be.

As Jargo can attest --- the Sandcrawler has long been my "dreamship." And I'm not just "settling" by going gaga over this because Hasbro isn't doing an all new mold the size of small car...

Come on, folks! The vintage mold was one of the best in all the line. It's even illustrated in one of the collectable books as being the most faithful and accurate to the original movie prop.

And now we're getting one with a Bang Up paint job! (Can't wait to see what they do with the inside of the cockpit...)

This is it! I can now retire from Starwars collecting a happy man. At long last my wayward droids and jawas will have a home...

Way to go, Hasbro! Way to go!

hango fett
09-30-2002, 06:47 PM
yes...i am mad! you will all yeild to me!!! acctually, no. i suppose since there are 2 pack ins, it's better.....
h

Beast
09-30-2002, 06:49 PM
I'm still hoping for Shuttle pack-in figures. But I don't think it's really going to happen. Hell, all they have to do is toss in modified Admiral Motti or Captain Piett as Moff Jerjerrod. And then maybe a modified Darth Sidious as Emperor Palpatine. :)

Problem is, that they are referring to it occassionally as the Rebel Shuttle, so if they include pack-ins it would probably be Han: Endor and someone else. Maybe Chewbacca, Luke: Endor, or Leia: Endor. I would prefer though if they stick with it as a Imperial Version, if they include pack-in figures. :)

And Hango is a bit mad, if he thinks that bland molded in pure creamsicle orange plastic version looks better then the new one. I have to greatly disagree to that. The vehicle in the movie isn't pure orange, so why would it look better then the movie correct one. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Bib Forlobster
09-30-2002, 06:59 PM
I remember the original version of the Sandcrawler as being one of the most impressive of the vintage ships. Of course, I was alot younger then and easier to impress. I do remember it having quite a bit of detail at the time, though.

I also remember the remote control function as being a bit disappointing. It had the old revolving disc type thing with two wheels and didn't really work that well. Doesn't matter in this case.

I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised with this one. It's actually quite simple, but well done. I remember it basically being empty on the inside( no floors, levels, etc.). It will be interesting to see if Hasbro does anything like put a level or two on the inside or maybe some Jawa equipment. I doubt it, but I can always hope.

Looking forward to finding this one.

Turbowars
09-30-2002, 06:59 PM
I'll take the droid, but s c r e w the ship.

hango fett
09-30-2002, 07:00 PM
so true, JJB....they would probably put some lameo in...like a redo of leia and luke that look worse than what they did on their speeder bikes!
h

jedihunter25
09-30-2002, 07:40 PM
Finally Hasbro has answered one of my prayers! I was expecting it to be a little bigger, but the weathered / rusty paint job is great. Does anyone know when it comes out?

LTBasker
09-30-2002, 08:11 PM
The size doesn't really matter to me as long as it isn't tiny. I knew the vintage one was small from eBay pictures so I wasn't expecting alot. The only complaint I really have about it is the Jawa figure, it's the uni-leg Jawa when the CTC Jawa would've been better. :(

Kinda scared about the possible $50 tag too, cause that was a vintage price and unless it's a Wal-Mart exclusive, the price will most likely be pushed up a little too much.

hango fett
09-30-2002, 08:13 PM
very ;ate this year...early next year..i think...
h

Beast
09-30-2002, 08:35 PM
Hango, might want to re-read the article over at GalacticHunter.com. For one, it's a very early prototype for next year.

Heeding countless polls and petitions, Hasbro finally plans on releasing an updated version for the Saga assortment. Here's a sample of the new Sandcrawler planned as a store exclusive for 2003.

So expect it to appear in late summer/early fall like most exclusives. And if god forbid, FAO gets a hold of it, expect it even later then that. After all they have the lastest exclusive of all the stores with the Imperial Shuttle coming in December. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
09-30-2002, 08:42 PM
Well, I'm loving it! I'm going to do an awesome Purchase of the Droids Scene / Homestead with this!

Meanwhile, sorry I gotta say something: I hope the RA-7 (Death Star Droid) is a bit more silver in the final paint job. It looks too much like 3PO's colors when he's dusty.

But I am also glad that one more vintage figure gets re-done in all the modern line's glory!

FINALLY GOT A SILVER DEATH STAR DROID!!!

Now I really hope for an R1G4 and the dome-shaped black mining droid.

Oh, I've got a lot of Jawas saved up for this one!

Wuntee-hee! Ah! :crazed:

Old Fossil
09-30-2002, 08:52 PM
Me, too Tycho: 14 in my Jawa clan.

I wonder: does the front of the Sandcrawler open up, or just the side?

Beast
09-30-2002, 08:56 PM
Just the side door and the cockpit portein of the top. You can see how it opens in the pictures from the vintage box, in the picture archives. It would be sweet if they retooled it so that the front would open like in AOTC's. I don't see it happening, but it would be damn sweet. :cool: :D

http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=937

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
09-30-2002, 09:43 PM
I can always count on Jar Jar to take what I say the wrong way. :)

Rogue II
09-30-2002, 10:03 PM
So much for the rumor that R5-D4 would be the pack in for the Sandcrawler. I had to do a double-take when I first looked at these pics. I thought it was C-3PO because of the colors.

I just made a custom RA-7 Droid by using nail polish remover on the Death Star Droid. I also made a custom mining droid (I posted a pic of it in the Photo Gallery). So, I really hope R1-G4 gets made.

plasticfetish
09-30-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by hango fett
i like the vintage better....i have no idea why, though...it just looks...more orange (which is my favirote color!)
h

I think I know what you mean. That old orange plastic color stirs up so many memories ... ahhhh orange plastic.

I am SO looking forward to this vehicle.
I'm also super happy that they didn't try to bring back the electronics of the vintage one. I can predict many hours of family fun with this toy ... and the electric motor stuff would just get old after a while. I think the paint job looks great. I think the pack-ins are nice ... would have liked some "droid bits" also.

Anyone know if this is going to be coming in a window box or not? If it does I may have to pop for two of them.

Want a bigger sandcrawler? Try wrapping a shopping cart in old cardboard boxes ... throw on a brown poncho and BAM instant Halloween costume. <hee>

Tycho
10-01-2002, 02:07 AM
I'm just a little miffed as to what scene I am going to do with it actually. Since it troubles me, I want to talk about it and maybe somebody will give me feedback on this:

I have an extended purchase of the droids set up now. I used the backing from that exact cinema scene, and put it up on a sandy display base I made which has a pit in one corner which is to be part of the edge of the Lars sunken homestead.

This way Aunt Beru stands down there and tells Luke to be sure it speaks Bocche. Meanwhile, since he stands at the lip, he can also remind me of the pose for when he watches the twin suns set. All the while Owen is haggling with my tallest Jawa, and 5 others are scampering about between:

Black Death Star Droid, ASP-7 Droid, C-3PO, R5-D4, R2-D2 (a holo Leia I opened for the restraining bolt sculpt!), Gonk droid.

It's a nice little showpiece - which is cool since too much of my stuff is too big.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can convert this scene to go with the Sandcrawler now - and also hope to have room to place the Star Tours WEG-1618 droid in there, as well as R1-G4 when they finally make him (they will) and Treadwell, and the mining droid, and the one with all the arms, as well as CZ-AK or whatever the white one's name is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can do some random Jawa's and the droids scene. Possibly.

I can do that random scene but add Anakin Skywalker and his step-brother's swoop bike to it all.

I'm kind of protective over my small Purchase of the Droids scene, yet it can't fit any more figures than what I described before...

Hmmmm. What should I do? NOT buy the Sandcrawler?

I could have room for an R1-G4 in my Watto's shop scene if nothing else. But I'm sure Hasbro will make this droid. They have to!

-Confused.

LTBasker
10-01-2002, 02:21 AM
Maybe extend the area to fit the Sandcrawler in? From the looks of it it's about 8-6" wide, so would it be possible to extend that area of the scene for them? If you can't extend it outwards, then what about (if you don't have them like it already) put the scene sideways so the Crawler sticks out, so that would mean you would only have to extend it enough for the Sandcrawler to be there but just need shelf length to support with at least enough space to put all the tread sets on.

plasticfetish
10-01-2002, 02:38 AM
You could keep your old scene as is ... and then use the sandcrawler for the scene where they find everything after the stormtroopers had been there ... complete with little burned up jawas etc. (Eww. Maybe that's too weird.)

Beast
10-01-2002, 02:46 AM
It's for Tycho. Is there seriously a thing as "too weird" when it comes to the man that brought us sniffing mouse droids? :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
10-01-2002, 03:07 AM
Thaaaat's true I suppose. Though I've long stopped thinking that the mouse droid sniffing thing was weird. (hmm, I'm not sure I ever did.)

The question is then ... how to make the perfect crispy jawa? Oh wait ... is that something for the recipe (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=181413) thread?

<hee>

gibbspaulus
10-01-2002, 04:13 AM
Jar jar, thanks for pointing out the packaging shots from the database. It look so much bigger there tan in the promo shot we're all discussing. Can't wait.

BTW - in the vintage box - what were 3PO and the jawa discussing in the cockpit?

Tycho
10-01-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
You could keep your old scene as is ... and then use the sandcrawler for the scene where they find everything after the stormtroopers had been there ... complete with little burned up jawas etc. (Eww. Maybe that's too weird.)

That's an awesome idea!

The droids though? Detroyed too? The whole thing about the Sandcrawler is it is the biggest celebration of the largest variety of droids in Star Wars.

(I'll add the disclaimer: NON-combat droids, that is - since the prequels)

evenflow
10-01-2002, 04:34 PM
I will take it. Awesome stuff, i just wish they would have chosen different figures to go with it. No need for another Jawa.

OzOtter
10-01-2002, 04:42 PM
What?!! There is always need for another jawa!

Just like ewoks :D

Prince Xizor
10-01-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by evenflow
No need for another Jawa.

It wouldn't make much sense to sell a Sandcrawler without a Jawa.

mark2d2
10-01-2002, 05:02 PM
Gibbspaulus---actually it's R5-D4 in the cockpit in the photo. (Your post inspired me to check out the vintage pics.) R5 -- that's even more hilarious. Perhaps he not only blew his motivator on purpose -- but also drove the Sandcrawler right to the Lars homestead. Just kidding.

Even more interesting though is what was that Sandperson doing just hanging with his Jawa homies? And I guess Threepio was translating? Bizarre photos abound on that old packaging. Seriously, everybody should check it out.

Another Jawa is a necessity IMOP. And yes, I agree it should be the commtech version, but I'm not about to get too riled up about it.

A Sandcrawler. A Sandcrawler! A FRICKING SANDCRAWLER!!!!

plasticfetish
10-01-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
The droids though? Detroyed too?

Gee, that's a tough one. I don't think so ... there aren't any burned up droids in the scene. Just little Jawa bodies (which you can fake with fabric if you have to I suppose.) Ooh ... what would be really cool ... is if you could build it on a table that has the homestead scene on one side of the crawler ... and then the "dead jawa" scene on the other. A lazy susan? or perhaps a big coffee table with a glass/plexi top and an enclosed and lit space inside?

Old Fossil
10-01-2002, 05:52 PM
One could always add a Sandcrawler to a Boonta Eve Podrace diorama, no? (Parked just outside the Arena, that is.)

plasticfetish
10-01-2002, 05:54 PM
"There's always room for Jello Sandcrawler!"

mark2d2
10-01-2002, 06:24 PM
I wonder why this is the only site that hasn't jumped on the Sandcrawler story. It makes my a tad nervous.

What's up, Sir Steve?

Beast
10-01-2002, 06:27 PM
He's probably waiting for his own contacts to come thru with news. One thing I've noticed is that Sir Steve's site doesn't usually link to other sites that get news before him. Oh well, we still get the news in the forums. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
10-01-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Tycho

That's an awesome idea!

The droids though? Detroyed too? The whole thing about the Sandcrawler is it is the biggest celebration of the largest variety of droids in Star Wars.

(I'll add the disclaimer: NON-combat droids, that is - since the prequels)

Just get a bunch of Saga 3PO's and Deluxe 3PO's and the rumored Deluxe SBD set where it's supposed to be able to come apart, just do some modifications on the weaponry parts and then you can put crates from Saga 3PO and just toss a bunch of droid parts in as the droid part junk.

jedihunter25
10-01-2002, 11:41 PM
Like I said before, I am pleased that Hasbro is finally making this. BUT- I'm wondering if someone is playing a cruel joke. Even though Hasbro could make it from the vintage mold and repaint it, I too can take the vintage Sandcrawler and repaint it, and put a picture of it on the web and say that it is the new Sandcrawler from Hasbro. It's funny how we have a picture of this that comes out next year, and no good pics of the Imperial Shuttle that comes out in 3 months. Plus I would think that it would come out with the Escape Pod instead of TWO figures. I hope that my senses are clouded and wrong, and I don't mean to bum anyone out, so I hope that we get a confimation on this soon.

Rogue II
10-02-2002, 07:29 AM
That crossed my mind as well, especially with the new cantina figures. A customizer would have no trouble making these things.

I don't see why it would come with an escape pod, that could be a set by itself.

Prince Xizor
10-02-2002, 10:53 AM
If it is a fake, that's one hell of a custom paint job.

Rogue II
10-02-2002, 12:16 PM
Have you ever looked at some of those custom figure websites? Some of the work on those are amazing.

To me, the Sandcrawler looks real but the pictures of wave 2 of the cantina sets look "funny." I don't know much about the website they came from. Personally, I usually wait for Sir Steve to post the news before I truly believe it.

Tycho
10-02-2002, 12:57 PM
There's a picture of the shuttle in FAO's catalog. I got one in the mail due to pre-ordering it.

I gave my catalog away to a friend so they could order the shuttle.

I have no scans of the picture.

I've already seen that picture posted by somebody on some website. I can't remember where I saw it.

Jargo
10-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Mike who runs galactic hunter is the former patron of collectstarwars dot com. He has some decent sources for his info. I'm not going to brown nose but he does get some excellent scoops.

I will admit to a feeling of scepticism here over this sandcrawler but even if it was just used for a joke at us collectors expense, it's a fine way for Hasbro to guage our reaction should they ever release the real thing.
We know the cantina sets were rumoured but thus far have we actually got concrete word from them on when or if they will be released? I mean real quotable word.
There probably won't be pictures of the shuttle until November. There weren't any of Ephant Mon until just before he got released. Perhaps hasbro has tightened security at Hasbro HQ and at the factories they use. Seems pics are only showing up when distribution warehouses are ready to ship out.

It's still early days, just turned October. I'm happy to sit this out and wait patiently for news and official pics. If Hasbro want my opinion they can read the other threads where I made it all plain and clear.

Turbowars
10-02-2002, 07:58 PM
The scale of this thing really bothers me. I know, I know, if it was to scale it would be as big as a Dodge truck. I know Hasbo can do better, I mean, have any of you seen the those 12" G.I Joe Tanks/trucks, their huge and high $, about $150, but I would pay that for something truer? to scale.

JON9000
10-02-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
The scale of this thing really bothers me. I know, I know, if it was to scale it would be as big as a Dodge truck. I know Hasbo can do better, I mean, have any of you seen the those 12" G.I Joe Tanks/trucks, their huge and high $, about $150, but I would pay that for something truer? to scale.

I agree completely. The scale of this this ruins it for me. I know they can do bigger and better and I have faith that when a real sandcrawler cames out it will be something I love. Please don't let this be it. :(

rynobot
10-02-2002, 10:22 PM
I wish it were bigger too!

mark2d2
10-05-2002, 05:57 PM
I watched parts of ANH again today and was surprised by how "yellowed" the death star droid was . . . Then I flipped through the visual dictionary, and he was even yellower there. Who knows, maybe we've always just thought the guy was silver because his first kenner fig was.

At any rate, seeing ANH left me seriously jonezing for a Sandcrawler. I so want more information of this release. I want confirmation!!!!!

Old Fossil
10-06-2002, 12:43 AM
Agreed. Confirmation would be a welcome relief. Then again, has Hasbro officially confirmed the release of the Shuttle?

Good news about RA-7, mark2. I'll have to dig out my copy of ANH and have a look for myself. I, too, always thought of the droid as basically silver, with no yellowing; but when I was a kid, I lost my C-3PO figure early on, and had to make do with the Death Star Droid and R-D4 as my droid duo, so my memories are strongly bound to the vintage figure.

Beast
10-06-2002, 12:47 AM
I think it's a bit early for Hasbro to say much of anything about it, especially if it's a 2003 Exclusive. Hasbro is normally quite tight-lipped about future plans, even more so about anything exclusive. I buy the story though, coming from Galactic Hunter. They have really great sources, and have been spot on about the info that they have posted so far. :)

And yeah, according to the StarWars.Com databank, RA-7 was a gold colored droid. It can clearly be seen in the following picture, and he's even mentioned as being gold in his databank file. I also checked my Lucasfilm Archives Video Tour from the Definative Collection Laserdisc set, and he is referred to and clearly is gold. :)

During production, the RA-7 servant droid was known as both the Death Star Droid and the Gold Insect Droid, the latter nickname reserved for the unit seen aboard the Jawa sandcrawler. The droid's design was developed in sketches by Ralph McQuarrie.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
10-06-2002, 12:48 AM
I think it looks good - scale is less important to me than detail. The pack ins are good as well, though I'd almost be happier to get that bigger, dark coloured droid that sticks out as tallest in the Lars' lineup. Always had some weird affinity for that rickity old looking thing. Droids are too cool.

Old Fossil
10-06-2002, 01:07 AM
Ah, very nice image, Binks. I wonder if anyone's developed any backstory on RA-7, a la 'Tales from the Dune Sea' or some such.

R1-G4, jjreason? I never can remember its designation correctly...

Turbowars
10-06-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by jjreason
I think it looks good - scale is less important to me than detail. The pack ins are good as well, though I'd almost be happier to get that bigger, dark coloured droid that sticks out as tallest in the Lars' lineup. Always had some weird affinity for that rickity old looking thing. Droids are too cool. .................................................. .............OH yeah, I have always wanted a R1-G4 Droid!!!! Here's a little history I dug up about this guy. R1 units, the 1st of the R-series droids developed by Industrial Automation. To save money they used the same body shells as Mark II reactor drones with a armored shell. These tall, cylindrical droids are now nearly obsolete but still used on capital starships and large freighters.

Old Fossil
10-06-2002, 12:44 PM
I think the R1 unit would make for a great Deluxe figure, packed in with another droid or Jawa(s).

mark2d2
10-06-2002, 03:15 PM
Indeed an R1 would be awesome. I'm still annoyed he lost to Amanaman or was it Ephont Mon . . . at any rate it was some fig I have no desire to own. So I'm still smarting. The Jawa pack-in is an awesome idea. Though even better would be that mining droid --- black half circle thing. When the sandcrawler comes they should do an all-new jawa two pack. (With legs, like the commtech version . . . )

Rogue II
10-06-2002, 04:06 PM
I voted for R1-G4 also. I don't remember which poll it was. I hope it wasn't Amanaman. Hasbro did a good job with the Amanaman figure, I just think he is a lame character.

At this point, I don't care what R1-G4 comes with, I just want him.

There was supposedly a R1 droid in Watto's shop in TPM also.

Beast
10-06-2002, 04:10 PM
The poll that included R1-G4 was the one with Ephant Mon. I think I recall him doing pretty well, somewhere around 20-25% of the vote if I recall. Here's who was in that poll. :)

Fan Choice Figure Poll #3:
Ephant Mon (Winner!!)
Even Piell
General Rieekan
R1-G4
Twi'lek Masseuse

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
10-06-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II

There was supposedly a R1 droid in Watto's shop in TPM also. You would be correct. What is it about this thing we like??? It's probably the size and the great memories of seeing him when we were kids, what do you guys think?

Beast
10-06-2002, 04:28 PM
I was just thinking about the original silver Death Star Droid in the vintage line. The vintage card shows the droid as silver, and that is how the figure was produced. What if Kenner at the time changed the color of the droid, so that kids and parents wouldn't confuse C-3PO with RA-7? That would explain things, since the droid in the film is primarily gold. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
10-06-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I was just thinking about the original silver Death Star Droid in the vintage line. The vintage card shows the droid as silver, and that is how the figure was produced. What if Kenner at the time changed the color of the droid, so that kids and parents wouldn't confuse C-3PO with RA-7? That would explain things, since the droid in the film is primarily gold. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks You just may have something there JJB. Back then did Lucas have the same control over the line as he has today? If he did I would say no to your theory. It might just be a S c r e w up like with Snaggle truth.

Rogue II
10-06-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
You would be correct. What is it about this thing we like??? It's probably the size and the great memories of seeing him when we were kid, what do you guys think?

I'm not quite sure. He is a huge droid that doesn't do anything excpet sit there. He was quite visible during that scene. Maybe our facination with him is a combination of his size and the mystery around him.

I wonder if the source of confusion about the color of the Sandcrawler RA-7 is the same as Han's Jacket on Hoth.

In the movie, the droid is in the dark belly of the brown sandcrawler. He appears to be silver. Maybe the lighting makes him look silver. Hasbro was smart enough to make Hoth Han's coat in the POTF2 line the right color, even though the vintage figure was blue. Aparently, they are correct again with this droid.

In other words, Kenner just made the vintage figures on how he appeared in the film.

Old Fossil
10-06-2002, 04:51 PM
I don't know, but R1-G4 is right up there behind R5-D4 in my list of 'Droid Wants.' It would just look so frickin' cool beside the new Sandcrawler! Give me R1 over a Battle Droid any day.

Rogue II
10-06-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Twodot Tatooine
I don't know, but R1-G4 is right up there behind R5-D4 in my list of 'Droid Wants.' It would just look so frickin' cool beside the new Sandcrawler! Give me R1 over a Battle Droid any day.

I totally agree with you on that.

Jargo
10-06-2002, 08:46 PM
R1-G4, R5-D4, CZ-3 are all top of my droids list Followed by a C-3PO with knees.

RA-7 is a silver droid with rust marks in places and with a patina of dirt. He has black oily streaks and patches where his chrome has worn away to the netal underneath. Pictures of the costume used in the visual dictionary show this. The age of the photographs taken on set will have yellowed him and the lighting on set also. The age of the costume has given the thing a slight yellowing on the surface but only the same way the something silver tarnishes. It's clear to see that the original color was initially silver chrome before the costume department dirtied him down.

Hasbro's RA-7 should look more like mine...

Beast
10-06-2002, 08:49 PM
I don't know about that Jargo. I've looked at the images from the actual movie, and even popped in my Laserdisc of ANH and he's obviously gold. Even the official Star Wars websites lists him as the "Gold Insect Droid". I think that Kenner altered the images of the charecter so that he looked silver, so he wouldn't be confused with C-3PO. It looks like the costume was original made out silver metal, and then painted gold. That's why in sections you can see the silver showing thru. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
10-06-2002, 09:01 PM
Okay, that pic used for the card was taken from sources some 25 years old. Film stock from the 70's yellows with age. the lighting in the set was yellow based. Of course RA-7 will look yellow or gold in movie stills. the images of the costume used for the visual dictionary were taken only recently in hard cold white studio lighting to accurately show the details. I used those images to repaint my RA-7. It's clearly a silver droid with a film of yellowish glaze over certain areas but he's mostly silver chrome. At his joints there are patches where a prop master used an angle grinder to take off the chrome and pare it back to metal. This was then painted over with oily black paint and grey paint. All this is visible in the pictures in the visual dictionary. I can't remember if there are also pictures in the chronicles archive book, But no matter what the EU infested official site says the costume itself tells a different story. To achieve the same look as the movie costume I simply painted orange over the top of the silver and rubbed it off again leaving a patina behind that you could still see silver through. But it's just in patches not all over. Hasbro's RA-7 looks like a customisers first attempt and appears to be painted using acrylics of silver and gold. Not satisfactory. To create their death star droid they vaccuum metallised it and then glazed over the top with a laquer of dark red that appeared black. They should at least still vaccuum metalis their RA-7 before shoving the gold on if they intend on innaccurately recreating a character. At least there'd still be a little credibility if it had chrome areas showing through the overpainting.

Beast
10-06-2002, 09:08 PM
Agreed atleast as far as the figure is concerned Jargo. It should be vac-metalled chrome. And then Hasbro should paint the gold over the top in sections. Either way, going by the actual film the costume was silver that was given a gold paintwash in areas to look like his gold plating was deteriorating. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
10-07-2002, 08:29 AM
No that's my point, not gold but yellow laquer, like high grade engine oil. It's golden yellow but clear. That's what it's supposed to look like not gold as in C-3PO's golden chroming. Like the guy has been dumped on from a great height while working on a ship or space station or something. Innappropriate use of a servant droid to maintain the boiler room, something like that. Or being stuck inside a dirty oily smelting factory on eight caterpillar treads in the middle of the deserts for a few years.

Beast
12-18-2002, 04:31 AM
While not from the most well known collecting website. So I would suggest we don't panic, and take the info with a grain of salt. Atleast until we hear somthing concrete from SSG/GH/RS.

But according to The Private Universe, the Sandcrawler may have been cancelled. I rather doubt the info myself, since we've seen the completed version that was planned for next year. But things do happen. :(

Scoop! - Sandcrawler Cancelled!
Reported By - Pete [Editor] Tuesday, December 17th 2002 - 11:59:19 PM

An official source has passed onto me some disppointing news...

The Sandcrawler vehicle, due for release in April/May '03, has been cancelled! It is unclear if this cancel is permenent or just till '04, the latter is considered more likely at this point.

You heard it here first. We'll be sure to keep you updated as and when we hear more.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
12-18-2002, 05:04 AM
TPU has been right plenty of times for me to take this with a little more than a grain of salt. With the economy situation being the way it is right now and with hasbro having to literally dump their 2002 overstock with TRU etc. for bargain sale. I wouldn't exactly say the market was ripe for another large vehicle. The FAO shuttle has been a sticking point and I've lost count of how many people say they aren't buying that. KB has dropped the slave-1 with jango. I think it's more likely true that Wal-Mart dropped the sandcrawler too as confidence in the star wars line wanes once again. Hasbro should give the exclusive to TRU instead, then at least it might ship globally. TRU are more likely to pick it up, they seem to have every confidence in the star wars line. It's been very good for business lately.

Beast
12-18-2002, 05:28 AM
Actually, wasn't it K-Mart that ditched the Slave 1 w/ Pilot Jango. I just saw that confirmation over at Rebelscum this morning. They also had originally ditched the Jedi Starfighter w/ Obi-Wan also. But KB ended up picking it up. The same was rumored for the Slave 1, but that's obviously not in the cards. As for the Sandcrawler, I just find it funny that we have seen the completed prototype/paint master and the figures and it's suddenly cancelled. :)

K-Mart Drops Slave 1/Jango Set
Mark: Following up on a question from Monday's edition of Question Mark, Hasbro has confirmed K-Mart's Slave 1 with Jango Fett exclusive will not be shipping to stores, and there are no plans to produce the item at this time. For reasons unknown, K-Mart decided not to take the set and no other retailer has spoken up for it. Collectors holding out for the vehicle/figure combo may want to look for them individually, both are still widely available at retail.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Old Fossil
12-18-2002, 06:50 AM
Somehow this doesn't come as a shock.

Say what you like about how Star Wars is one of the most lucrative toy lines around these days: the reality is that Star Wars toys that shipped back in April are still collecting dust on retailer shelves everywhere I look. You can quote figures and news reports all you like; I know what I see.

These grandiose lists of upcoming toys for 2003 may end up being modified quite a bit, if the Sandcrawler cancellation is a reality; the 'scaling back' may go way beyond just that one vehicle.

abell748
12-18-2002, 08:44 AM
I hope the sandcrawler didn't get cancelled, I do not thave the cash now to spring for a vintage one. If anyone cancelled an exclusive I would say it would be TRU. A little bird I know that deals with the delivery truckers for WM, KM, and TRU told me that TRU is in bad shape and that 30% is due before a truck is allowed to unload there. He said it is the same deal that was in place with K-Mart during their money crisis. I hope that this is not true!!

Emperors_Hand_2211
12-18-2002, 08:47 AM
Hmm. Wasn't that excited about this anyway. I mean I'd have bought it but it wasn't in my opinion the most exciting vehicle left to be made. Still doesn't bode well for the future does it.

mark2d2
12-18-2002, 12:31 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My day goes from bad to worse. (i just got laid off as the tv show i was toiling on got cancelled because it was totally lame.)

And now no Sandcrawler. This Star Wars collecting thing is really starting to totally, like, suck. If this is true --- than God truly has indeed forsaken me.

Jargo
12-18-2002, 01:08 PM
Hi Jesus, we've been expecting you............... oh sorry, wrong person, thought you were some -one - else....... :sur:

Yeah i got the Kaybee and K-Mart thing wrong way round. Same thing to me really since we have neither over here. The scaling back would look to be on the cards if we all go to war. War is not good for business.

jpak001
12-18-2002, 01:35 PM
[i]Hasbro's RA-7 should look more like mine... [/B]

Nice paint job Jargo! Do you hand brush, or airbrush?

Jargo
12-18-2002, 01:48 PM
Hand paint with Humbrol (US=Testors) enamel paints, just oil down the paint with thinners and paint on, then use a Q-tip dipped in thinners to smear the paint around or a dry Q-tip to wipe off excess. Details painted on with a pure sable artists brush size 1. Glad you like it. :)

stillakid
01-23-2003, 08:42 PM
I did a few searches, but haven't been able to find the links to that guy who made the scale model of the Sandcrawler and the Blockade Runner (same guy?). I'm just looking for some pictures of those projects. Any help? Thanks.

mark2d2
01-23-2003, 09:03 PM
Good luck on finding the links.

I'm still hoping that this toy sees the light of day. It's cancellation makes no sense. This is canned? But a rehash of a clearance ship from a few years back gets the go ahead? (Naboo Fighter.)

TheDarthVader
01-23-2003, 10:57 PM
I wonder how much $$$$$$ a sandcrawler would retail for IF it was at TRU?? I will guess $60.00---

mark2d2
01-23-2003, 11:22 PM
$60 seems high to me. Besides, I think it's a rumoured Walmart Release. I was expecting something more along the lines of $50.

stillakid
01-23-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
$60 seems high to me. Besides, I think it's a rumoured Walmart Release. I was expecting something more along the lines of $50.

Price won't really matter then because none of us will actually be able to find it. :rolleyes:

Old Fossil
01-24-2003, 12:31 AM
$50 seems too pricey for Wally World. No Star Wars exclusive they've had to date retailed for more than... waitaminute. How much did the Sith Speeder w/Maul go for? $40? That one never sold well in my area. My point is, Wal-Mart might shy away from something that would retail for fifty dollars. It's hard enough for FAO to get away with high dollar exclusives (not that they DO get away with it, grumble grumble... well, maybe).

I, too, hope the Sandcrawler is not cancelled, but I fear it may be anyway.

Jargo
01-24-2003, 08:13 AM
Isn't Wal*Mart shutting down a load of it's stores across the states? If they're scaling business back then it seems plausible that they wouldn't be taking a risk on an item that might not sell.

WM are opening stores over here in the UK soon apparently though with our harsh safety laws they can't operate the same style of store they have in the states. It's also doubtful we'll get the same sort of stock which means no star wars WM exclusives still. Bummer huh?

I bet the sandcrawler turns up sometime. maybe not this year though. Maybe with some other store. maybe a store that already has stores globally... yeah - fat chance of that!

Rogue II
01-24-2003, 08:58 AM
I haven't heard of Wal-Mart shutting down any stores. K-Mart has closed quite a few. McDonald's is supposed to be shutting down several hundred stores as well.

If the Sandcrawler is just a re-sculpt of the Vintage version, I don't see how they can charge more than $40 for it.

Beast
01-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Yeah, it's the other Mart, K-Mart that is closing stores. I don't imagine them being around to much longer. As for the price of the Sandcrawler, I'm going to say atleast 50.00 most likely. Due to the size and the original cost of the vintage version. We'll be ok, as long as FAO doesn't snag another exclusive. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
01-24-2003, 01:33 PM
Well for someone in a foreign country remembering that it was 'something' Mart was pretty good. :p

Turbowars
01-24-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Isn't Wal*Mart shutting down a load
WM are opening stores over here in the UK soon apparently though with our harsh safety laws they can't operate the same style of store they have in the states.

What kind of laws are you talking about? The US isn't a lawless country, although it seems like it with how murderers get off in the account of the old migthy dollar.

Jargo
01-25-2003, 11:27 AM
It's to do with the way the stores are layed out. If i remember right Wal*Mart likes to stack things high. So high they fall on customers from a great height. And if i remember right although WM were taken to court over the policy of stacking high in the aisles there wasn't a lot that could be done about it. Over here there are safety regulations in places of retail that mean you can only stack up to a certain height and have to have displays conforming to certain sizes and wotnot, in order that no stock falls take place and no customer is hurt. Also from what i read about WM being messy stores with cartons and boxes all over the aisles, UK public safety law won't tolerate that.
Obviously the US isn't lawless but the laws are more lax in certain areas. Public safety law over here is really stringent. Consumer rights are uppermost. The courts will find in favour of the consumer rather than the large business no matter how many excellent lawyers the big business has.
It's unlikely that WM will sell the same sorts of product that are sold in the US or carry the star wars exclusives. TRU doesn't even carry their own exclusives over here or if they do it's only in the largest stores with the highest turnover. When you consider that TRU has just 64 stores nationwide and WM will have significantly less, finding those exclusives instore will be a real fight even if they do stock them.
I just don'r see the UK WM experience working really. We have too many large stores as it is and there's only so much disposable income to go round.

AdmiralPiett
01-25-2003, 11:50 AM
Actually, I think that the safety regulations that they are referring to probably have more to do with the parking lot than the store itself. Many people have been attacked in Wal-Mart parking lots here in the US and there have been lawsuits brought against wal-mart for not having safety mechanisms such as cameras in the parking lots. However, having cameras in the parking lot doesn't exactly fit into Wal-Mart's low cost strategy. During one case in litigation, Wal-mart blew off the heat saying that there was no proof that the woman was a customer there even though she had a receipt marked only a few minutes before the attack occured. Wal-Mart's got some shrewd lawyers. So if the UK does have very pro-consumer laws then I don't think it would in the best interests of Wal-Mart's low cost/low overhead strategy to set up shop there.
Piett

Jargo
01-25-2003, 02:37 PM
No, what I'm talking about specifically relates to instore safety. When WM bought the ASDA chain in the UK there was a report written that related to incidents involving stock toppling on consumers in the WM stores. The report reccomended that WM be disallowed from having the same layout in their stores over here and that they must comply with UK safety regulations and go through the same procedures of planning and inspection during store refits etc, that everyone else does. They canot simply say it's the Wal*Mart way and carry on regardless or they will be facing prosecution. Wal*Mart would have to alter their way of doing things for the UK. I know nothing about car park safety but as the UK is rapidly becoming a CCTV nation with cameras on almost every corner of towns and cities I think it's fair to say they'd end up having cameras at Wal*Marts over here. If they didn't there would be no customers.
Wal*mart could have the slickest most slippery lawyers in the world but coming up against the stone wall of British law and constitution and hard faced judges their slickness won't get them anywhere fast.

Back to the sandcrawler now. Got to ask where's the twin pod cloud car too. Of all the ships they could have put out in 2003 they could have done this cloud car. someone said they've been readyt to go with it for two years but no-one's biting. Why not for heavens sake it's a medium sized ship not some hulking mass of useless plastic. It's roughly tie bomber size isn't it? or smaller perhaps, either way it's not massive and by all accounts it's the big items that stores are wimping out on. The cloud car should sell really well, you can get two figures into it. Though no doubt hasbro would retool it and add in a thousand gizmos and gadgets and totally screw up the perfect vintage sculpt. The only rettoling that might be required is to tool the engine intake cover so it isn't just an stuck on decal anymore. A paint deco to better reflect the movie prop and that's it. Doesn't need firing missiles or dropping bombs or revolving blast damage panels or transforming additional wings or anything of that nature, just the vintage sculpt and a little work to refine that. Doesn't need a figure pack-in that could be carded instead so you didn't have to buy two ships to get two pilots. Do the pilot as a fifty fifty split with one having white skintone and the other black skintone. Where's the hassle in doing that for a regular release instead of a stupid exclusive?

mark2d2
01-25-2003, 02:44 PM
Jargo --- I wish we ruled Hasbro. You and I. The toys would be beyond awesome, and the company would be making tons of money, too.

While I have been very vocal about the Sandcrawler --- too vocal, in fact. Perhaps some on the boards are tiring of my tirades . . . I am equally baffled by the lack of a Bespin Cloud Car. Seriously, how could this not out sell Anakin's Jedi Star Fighter? C'mon, Hasbro get a clue. Please. Please! PLEASE! I so want some decent toys to buy . . .

Jargo
01-25-2003, 03:12 PM
"When I rule the world.....!" I say we meet up and form a posse to go find Andy Espenshade and this damn Randy guy and give them the worst wedgies in the history of the world. Wedgie them so wedgily they'll be wedgied for the rest of their lives. :D

Sandcrawler, cloud car, rebel transport. Sith infiltrator, Gungan Bongo sub, Neimoidian shuttle. Trade federation MTT and droid rack transport barge, Coruscant air taxi. V-35 landspeeder, Imperial landing craft, Millenium Falcon. Naboo royal yacht, Dooku's solar sailer, AT-TE dropship, AT-TE. Bigg's Darklighter's X-wing fighter, Wedge Antilles X-wing fighter. Jek Porkin's X-wing fighter, Yavin hangar troop transporter barge, Echo base troop transporter barge. Mobquet A-1 deluxe floater landspeeder, Void spider TX-3 landspeeder, Ubrikkian 9000 Z001 landspeeder.

Just a few items I'd ensure HasJargobro made. Don't get me started on playsets.....

Beast
01-25-2003, 03:15 PM
Target has been offered and passed on the Twin Pod Cloud Car atleast the last three years. Hasbro can't make it, if they stores don't want it. It would be nice if vehicles didn't have to be exclusives so much, but as Hasbro said many many times, it's about the only way to actually get vehicles made. Due to how afraid stores are of taking vehicles as general release items. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
01-25-2003, 03:21 PM
Is this whole Target keeps passing on it really confirmed? If so, by who? And if Target passes, then by all means offer it to someone else!!! Sorry, I just can't believe that someone snapped up a green a-wing and not this!

Jargo
01-25-2003, 03:27 PM
bullcrap. Not you - Hasbro. I don't buy that crapola line for one second. It isn't a big item. If they can make the Jedi starfighter for general release then they can get the cloud car out too. If hasbro hold back a little on the initial release and don't make the thing too damn expensive. fans and collectors will soon be jumping around trying to get it and then the stuff will shift in larger numbers. Hell, that's how hasbro works it now anyway so they know how to milk the market already. It's just a lazy excuse for not doing something they don't want to. It's a vintage mold, vintage people will go ape for it, newer collectors are more inclined to buy smaller vehicles than large ones so they'd buy it. There's a market out there for it so there's no reason not to do it. Hasbro are full of it. I refuse to believe a single word they say anymore. They just tell lies all the time. Spin doctoring lies.

Beast
01-25-2003, 03:36 PM
Pretty much confirmed, someone asked Hasbro at one of the Q&A sessions about the Twin Pod Cloud Car. They said that they have dusted it off and showed it to Target almsot every year. And every year Target picks somthing else. Like they took the Accessory Sets in 2002. That's why we keep getting rumors of the Twin Pod Cloud Car almost every year. :(

Jargo, I can sort of understand the stores. Atleast with the Jedi Starfighter and other vehicles, they are totally new and have a recent movie release to get people intrested in buying them, so they sell a lot better then vintage re-issues. A lot of Vintage Collectors don't rebuy ships they still have from the vintage line, thats why vehicles rotted on shelves during the POTF2 days. Which led to the only way possible of really making old ships, as exclusives.

Yeah, it sucks. But people didn't support the vehicles and ships. They would wait for them to clerance out, if they bought them at all. The stores lost huge money on vehicles, and basically told Hasbro they wouldn't risk things like that again. It's less of a risk to find a retailer that will take the items as an exclusive. Sure, it does increase the price of the final products, but if we want vehicles at all, it's the only way to get them. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
01-25-2003, 03:48 PM
JarJarBinks --- your arguments would hold water ---- IF ALL THE FOLLOWING MINDBLOWINGLY STUPID REHASHES OF VEHICLES WEREN'T ON THE WAY.

Two Jedi Star Fighters?
The Gunship repacked with pilots!?
Naboo Starship w/ Padme Pilot

And all of these are WIDE RELEASES as far as I know.

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying any of it.
(The above toys or your arguments . . . )

And if Target says, no, No! NO! Then take the frigging thing to the people at Walmart! I see no reason why they wouldn't snap it up . . . Heck the TIE BOMBER sold so well they even opted to bring it back!!! Or Toys R Us. See any Landspeeders just clogging the shelves? Me either.

Or why not the Fan Club? I thought they were supposed to do things for fans? Why not carry some wickedly cool ships that supposedly only gaga fans would want . . . Like the CLOUD CAR or of course! THE SANDCRAWLER!

Jargo
01-25-2003, 03:49 PM
Okay, let's assume for one second that this is true and that it simply must be, has to be an awful exclusive. Hasbro has made vehicles available to specialist retailers and specific E-tailers this year. new vehicles and re-issues at that. So it's not outside the realms of logic to assume that someone with half a braincell at hasbro would make the connection that these E-tailers are happily taking vehicles like the geonosian fighter and large vehicles like the gunship and Shuttle etc. Therefore the market does indeed exist but in a different form. releasing the twin pod cloud car to E-tailers as an exclusive could get the ship out to a wider audience of collectors than simply relying on some second rate chain store to carry it. A little logic applied goes a long way yet hasbro seem to have all taken Mogadon capsules and monged out into the big wibbly wobbly otherspace place.

Beast
01-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Mark, those items actually sold well. Because they don't have a vintage version, so people that liked the ship, actually bought them. And like I said, they also had a recent movie release to push sales. Not to mention there is a huge push this year, with the Clone Wars crossover marketing.

Stores see the possible money that could bring, so they can put some cash into vehicles. Especially since most of them like the Geonosian Fighter, Hailfire Droid, etc. are new. Thanks to some wonderful sales for E2 vehicles this last year, hasbo can release a few more this year. Plus thanks to the Clone Wars crossover, they can bring back things that were hard to find, like the Trade Federation Tank. And the Gunships sold well, so they just decided to repackage it under the Clone Wars banner for this year.

Due to the great sales of the E2 vehicles, the stores are more willing to take the vehicles again this year. The Anakin's Jedi Starfighter is going to be somewhat different, atleast paintwise. And the Jedi Starfighter (redeco) is supposed to come with the Hyperdrive Ring, so I don't see many real complaints there. Let's not forget that there also a whole slew of new vehicles coming along with those.

The Naboo Starfighter is exclusive, I believe to KB Toys is getting that one. As for why not take the Cloud Car to Wal-Mart, who knows. Maybe Target has some sort of lock on the Cloud Car. Not to mention even if they did, Wal-Mart must have passed. The Cloud Car is a tough sell, probably due to it being less intresting then vehicles that actually see some action in the movies. :)

There are larger issues with the Fan Club, which are currently being resolved. They were just bought by another company, and all their exclusives had to be shifted to secondary retailers. I wish these things weren't exclusive either, but as long as they make them available somehow, I'll be happy. Better made this way, then not made at all. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

OzOtter
01-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Sorry if this has already been answered, but has there been any conirmation of the cancellation of the Sandcrawler?

Beast
01-25-2003, 04:53 PM
Technically, it was never announced. But we have seen the prototype. The only site that has ever said so far that the item was cancelled was The Private Universe. No confirmation has come from SSG, Rebelscum, or even Galactic Hunter who originally showed the SandCrawler Prototype. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
01-25-2003, 05:12 PM
Frankly, I don't think that the Jedistarfighter sold all that well. They are everywhere and even I've seen the Gunship on Clearance here in LA.

My point is ---- even if they sold well. Everybody already bought them. I doubt very much that there us much residual demand for any of the items I listed as being pointless rehashes.

PS --- the whole new slew of vehicles is so unexciting I won't buy a one. Except maybe the TIE FIGHTER. I'm sorry, but this line up is just lame Lame LAME!

Beast
01-25-2003, 06:06 PM
It sold pretty well, but everyone bought one when the first were released. Sooner or later supply is going to exceed demand, and then you will have some remain on the shelves. Same with the Republic Gunship, they still sold better then the POTF2 vehicles.

Some people buy more then one ship, and that's cool for them. Especially since Hasbro is giving them somthing extra for their money, the rumored Hyperdrive Ring. And whatever changes Anakin's has done to it.

You have a right to your opinion, but the vehicles for next year sound pretty good to a lot of folks. Geonosian Fighter, Hailfire Droid, TIE Fighter, Green A-Wing. As well as re-issuing the Trade Federation Tanks, for people that missed them before.

We have the Sandcrawler that is possibly coming. And lets not forget the Boba Fett's Slave 1 that is rumored. And a few other things that arn't coming to me at the moment. All and all, not a bad year for vehicles. Regardless of the couple rehashes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
01-25-2003, 06:15 PM
I don't know about where you guys live, but TRU still has many Starfighters sitting on the racks, but no Gunships. The gunship sold very well. I don't think a rehash will though. KB can't get rid of their starfighter and it's less than TRU's. If the Ring comes out, I think we will see the Starfighter fly out the racks.

mark2d2
01-25-2003, 11:23 PM
The Gunships I saw was some time ago at a Target in the Valley. Either Burbank or North Hollywood, I can't remember as I had to hit both one day looking for a non Star Wars DVD.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the gunship tanked like, say, the Royal Starship . . . all I was trying to establish was that the demand for more gunships is simply not out there as far as I can see. There have been many stories about getting them at clearance prices lately though.

Turbowars
01-26-2003, 12:01 AM
No I was just saying the Gunship sold well around where I'm at.