PDA

View Full Version : New A-Wing

Prince Xizor
10-01-2002, 10:23 PM
Galactichunter reported that a UK retailer has a new A-Wing listed, and that it is rumored to be a Target exclusive here in the states.

Since I don't have the orig, I am excited and am going to be picking this one up.

rynobot
10-01-2002, 10:26 PM
now this we don't need, I think the last one that was produced was great.

bigbarada
10-01-2002, 10:39 PM
Are we getting a resculpted A-Wing Pilot with it? If so then cool!:) Otherwise, it better have something different, like electronics, for it to be worthwhile.

Thunderstorm1
10-01-2002, 11:23 PM
Hey Hasbro, how about some more AOTC or TPM Vehicles before remakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jayspawn
10-01-2002, 11:52 PM
I think the POTF A-Wing we got is just fine. I don't see any need for a new one. An individual pilot would be great though.

Cool Han Luke
10-02-2002, 12:27 AM
I really don't see a need for a new one. The last one seems fine for now. If there is another to be issued it would have to sing and dance to make it worth the purchase. The last one I bought was on clearance for 4.97 and I'm sure Hasbro would just love to pawn the newer one for at least $25 with a gimmick included. I'm sold on the old one until they can pricepoint to the satisfaction of the consumer.

corporal AMF
10-02-2002, 12:59 AM
Well, the POTF2 AWing was really decent, so no resculpts please !
And for A wing correct pilot, just do it carded, please !

Sidiously Darth
10-02-2002, 01:12 AM
I have 3 of the POTF2 version and could probably pick up extras off ebay for less than what they cost in the store. No thanks on this one.:rolleyes:

mark2d2
10-02-2002, 02:46 AM
What I'd love is a Y-wing. Redone with a removable droid slot. Now that I'd buy!

Jargo
10-02-2002, 10:18 AM
It's the same A-wing. Has nobody actually read the report?

The Private Universe wrote on Tuesday, October 1st 2002 - 12:35:57 AM:

SW A Wing Vehicle Available Dec, SRP 27.99.
Previously only available to a USA retailer this exciting Star Wars vehicle is now available to you! The vehicle is scaled to fit the Star Wars 3 inch figures. The craft includes a figure. The quantity of this vehicle is very limited.

Text is from Hasbro UK and Dates are tentative.

It reads more like "this was initially released as a US exclusive and is now being made available to the UK market in limited quanities." So don't get your hopes up in the States. :evil::Pirate: :happy:

mark2d2
10-02-2002, 11:25 AM
But Jargo --- the A-wing was not an exclusive. It was literally everywhere here in the U.S. (Target, Kaybee, Walmart, Toys r Us...) Perhaps though it was never released overseas.

Lord Tenebrous
10-02-2002, 11:52 AM
"Previously only available to" = "Exclusive". Jargo's simply speaking in a regional sense.

But wouldn't it just be easier to distribute it on the secondary market? If it comes in Saga packaging, you're going to get whining from completists about a foreign 'limited' piece that they want because of the blue packaging...

Hasbro's worse than US foreign policy...trying to 'fix' problems that they created, years later.

U.K.BOY
10-02-2002, 12:56 PM
An interesting topic to be sure .......

Dunno quite what the dealio was with the A Wing,

I remember initially getting it through the Fan Club (back in the days when johnny foreigner was allowed to belong !!), I then distinctly remember a few weeks later being able to stroll into a TRU here in the U.K. and being able to pick up a Trilogo A Wing for 15 squids.Anybody else corroborate this ?????.

UKBOY.

Rogue II
10-02-2002, 02:29 PM
Geez, why does Hasbro always screw over the European collectors? Maybe this is thier way of making up to them. I'm glad they are getting a chance to pick one up. The A-Wing is a great little ship. The pilot is cheesy, especially by POTJ and Saga standards.

Jargo
10-02-2002, 03:17 PM
Sorry I only just woke up when I posted before. Wasn't intended to be hostile if anyone took it that way, I was just trying to point out that the wording came from either hasbro UK or Diamond UK. In which case it would be intended for UK consumers.

I remember buying my first A-wing from TRU here in the good old UK but they weren't exactly swamping the place, making them a shortstocked item. They were indeed 15 and this new price of 27.99 is way too expensive considering I just bought myself a second A-wing from Toypalace in Germany for 15 and that's what, five years after it was first released? Astounding that a re-issue can cost almost twice as much as the first issue and astounding also that the republic gunship is being sold here in places for just 35 and that is a huge vehicle whereas the A-wing is but a smidgeon of a ship.

I wouldn't get in a tizz over this because Diamond sends out retailer info all the time that is inaccurate. Either in terms of what exactly is being shipped, it's price or its release dates. This is what happens when companies who exist to gain a high profit in a known profit yielding field know next to nothing about the products they sell apart from a certain item being 'hot property' (which translates as 'the fans are going nuts for this so up the price x3')

I could see this being re-released as a cool and a small-ish ship that newer collectors might like. Those who couldn't find one initially will also get a chance to buy.
But it's the same ship so why bother if you already have one unless you're an insane completist who simply has to have a product in every concievable packaging configuration or your legs will fall off.

Only time will tell whether this is going to actually show up or be one more mystery phantom item on Diamond comics books. Like senator Segat AOTC, or Rupino Anamin. Retailers are still listing items like this because they've taken their information from Diamond.

And it wouldn't be such a bad thing if they were only for the UK market. I mean you in the states get all those store exclusives that we have to fight tooth and nail to get hold of. Fairs fair eh?

OC47150
10-04-2002, 03:13 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with the POTF2 A-wing, although it is the wrong pilot. I could use a couple more myself!