PDA

View Full Version : Which movie has the best vehicle toys?

Tycho
10-02-2002, 05:13 AM
Just thinking: which movie has the best vehicle toys?

A New Hope:

Landspeeder (2 versions)
X-wing (2 versions)
TIE Fighter
Darth Vader TIE Fighter
Y-wing Fighter
Millennium Falcon
Sandcrawler

Empire Strikes Back:

Snowspeeder (2 versions)
AT-AT
Boba Fett's Slave-One
TIE Bomber
X-wing Fighter (Dagobah)

Return of the Jedi:

Tatooine Skiff
Shuttle Tyderium
Speederbike
AT-ST
A-wing
TIE Interceptor
B-wing

The Phantom Menace:

Droid Fighters
AAT Tank
Naboo Fighter
Royal Starship
Flash Speeder
Anakin's Pod Racer
Sebulba's Pod Racer

Attack of the Clones:

Zam's Speeder
Anakin's Speeder
Jango's Slave-One
Jedi Starfighter
Republic Gunship
Dooku's speederbike
Owen's speederbike

There are more vehicles rumored, but I'd have to say this is pretty close to "it."

I think either ANH or AOTC has the edge. There's too much essential SW in there.

ESB definitely needs the Cloud Car to help it out - and maybe they could re-do the Rebel Transport or the Medical Frigate (Nebulon-B type Cruiser).

Which movie has the best gear (as far as toys) in your opinion?

2-1B
10-02-2002, 06:48 AM
I'll vote ESB as soon as they add that Cloud Car. ;)

I'm tempted to go with ANH overall, but ESB gets my preference because of the new ships while still retaining SOME of the ANH flavor with the variant TIE and X-WING.

Nope, I have to go with ANH.
But a Cloud Car will go a long way in helping ESB. :D

gibbspaulus
10-02-2002, 08:14 AM
Now I am fickle about these things and I'd have to say either ESB for the AT-AT, or TPM for the Royal Starship - such an amazing toy!

jedi_uk73
10-02-2002, 11:08 AM
I'm undecided between ESB & ROTJ.

They both have the best vehicles ever produced.

ESB for the AT-AT and ROTJ for the Imperial Shuttle.

Prince Xizor
10-02-2002, 11:51 AM
I'll go with AOTC for right now. It has the new Slave I and the Gunship which are both just awesome.

But as soon as the Slave I ESB repaint comes out, I'll have to go with ESB.

bigbarada
10-02-2002, 02:41 PM
It's kind of hard for me to decide since I only own one Ep2 vehicle. However, it is an amazing vehicle. If Hasbro ever gets off of its butt and makes the AT-TE, then AOTC will win hands down.:)

For now I will go with ESB, the AT-AT is too awesome to dismiss.

But then again, ROTJ has the Y-Wing, B-Wing, A-Wing, Shuttle and Skiff. That's a tough lineup to go up against.

thespar
10-02-2002, 02:54 PM
i will have to say as of right now either rotj or TPM. have to what to see what the future will hold for AOTC.

plo koon 200
10-02-2002, 03:13 PM
ROTJ has the best with ANH second and AOTC third. TPM just dosen't have any of the cool pods made and the vehciles aren't to interesting. ESB still needs things to be made.

Tycho
10-02-2002, 04:14 PM
As far as Podracers are concerned, I had some ideas.

First, I want to ask everyone if they think a poll for Hasbro to make more Podracers is a good idea or not?

Next, vehicle toys need to have action features to BE toys in the first place. I have some suggestions, as most people like to see toys do what the vehicles did in the movie.

I kept in mind which Podracers had figures made, too - but also who had cool looking pods.

For Podracer Vehicles, I want:

Ody Mandrell's Pod (the action feature could be it fires a pit droid out of the rear of the engine). Ody's pod was more boring looking, but he has a figure and the action feature would be unique to his hilarious pit-stop scene.

Teemto Pegules Pod (the action feature would shoot the actual pod forward, between the engines, so it "spins out") Teemto's pod is really cool, as is his figure, and the scene when the Tuskens shoot him down. It goes with the desert sniper figure well, also!

Mars Guo's Pod (the engine on (at least) one side could explode, and maybe the other side could launch his pod off the connector cable to that opposite engine). Mars is interesting looking, but his pod racer is even cooler. He bit it when Sebulba threw a monkey-wrench into the machinery in Lap 2 (when in the cut scene Anakin's tow cable becomes disconnected causing him to spin).

Dud Bolt's Pod (the action feature could be breaking flaps - perhaps an Expanded Universe pop-out laser cannon - read on...) Dud was not an accomplished pod racer. However, he was paid to be Sebulba's body guard. He would either a) stop anyone from trying to kill Sebulba or b) kill anyone that could actually beat Sebulba. His character is my favorite in terms of looks: a cross between a corcodile mouth on a weiner-dog! He reminds me of the Cyote that chases Roadrunner, too. His pod might be very cool looking, but the action features would be boring without the EU weapon - which in the character expansion stuff, he probably has anyway.

Gasgano's Pod (what the heck could be the action feature? - maybe a zip cord with hidden wheels? but then the others should've had that too? It could be hidden on Gasgano's rather easily, but not on others like Ody's!) Gasgano was cool looking, though the figure was sort of weak I guess. The pod didn't do anything in the movie, but it's got cool engines. It's one I'd want, but not at the top of my list.

Color schemes are also important to a race display:

Anakin: yellow-blue
Sebulba: orange-black
Ody: red-silver
Teemto: green
Mars Guo: red-grey
Dud Bolts: blue-red
Gasgano's: green-yellow

There were 18 pods, but these merit the first approach, IMO.

fourtwo
10-02-2002, 05:41 PM
return of the jedi

Huckleberry Josh
10-02-2002, 05:43 PM
I'd have to go with ESB. Slave 1 is my favorite ship. I like the AT-ATs.I really like most of the ships in ESB.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-02-2002, 11:32 PM
ROTJ: Even though I don't own all the vehicles produced for that line, I know that the few I do own are high quality. Plus, I know from what I read the Shuttle is one heck of a ship despite the cost.

ESB: Comes in a close second because of the strength of the Tie Bomber and the AT-AT. The X-wing is great too.

ANH: I only own the Landspeeder so my judgement is incomplete.

Ep1: Just like the rest of the line, I had no desire to get any of the vehicles they offered.

EpII: Love the Starfighter. Would love the Slave I and the Gunship once I get my paws on them.

jedihunter25
10-03-2002, 01:50 AM
1. ROTJ -the Shuttle
2. ESB -AT-AT
3. ANH
4. AOTC -Republic Gunship is cool, I hope they make the Naboo Cruiser
5. TPM -needs serious help- like more Podracers, Gungan Sub, MTT's, and the Sith Infiltrator.

mrmiller
10-03-2002, 12:26 PM
Hey- don't forget the mini-rigs!

But really, ROTJ has the best/most Vehicles. I know the Tie Fighter, X-wing, Falcon might be considered ANH toys, but they also appear in ROTJ. A-Wing, B-Wing, X-Wing, Y-Wing, Falcon, all the differnet Tie Fighters, Shuttle, AT-ST, Skiff, and the Speeder Bike and Mini-Rigs makes it a ton of options for RTOJ.

But for anyone that has a Naboo Royal Starship, you can almost vote on TPM for that ship alone, not to mention the Pod racers. I Just wish they'd make more Pods.

=MATT=

robman71
10-03-2002, 12:48 PM
I'd have to go with ESB, I loved the AT-AT and Snowspeeders as well as the Battle Damaged X-wing.

LusiferSam
10-03-2002, 01:08 PM
ROTJ gets my vote. I love the Shuttle (vintage) and the Skiff. The B-wing and A-wing great as well. But TPM and AOTC both have great vehicles as well. The new Slave 1 is one of my all favorites and so is the royal starship.

AdmiralPiett
10-06-2002, 01:21 PM
1. ROTJ: Tie Interceptor, Skiff, Y-wing, B-wing, Imperial Shuttle, Ewok Battle Wagon, AT-ST
2. ANH: Tie, DV Tie, Sandcrawler, Falcon, X-wing, landspeeder
3. ESB: AT-AT, AT-ST, Tie Bomber, Cloud Car, Slave 1
4. AOTC: gunship, slave 1
5. TPM: I don't own the royal starship.

ESB had a lot of cool vehicles including the perfect bad guy vehicle, the AT-AT, but I think that too many of its vehicles "belonged" to other movies. Also, I think the Slave 1 has been a long overrated vehicle. It looks too much like an iron for my liking!
Piett

Tycho
10-06-2002, 02:02 PM
I think you goofed, Piett.

The Y-wing wasn't released until ROTJ toy time in the vintage line, but having first appeared in ANH, it is an ANH "Battle of Yavin vehicle."

You forgot the A-wing, which was ROTJ's rebel fighter contribution of more importance.

For TPM, you forgot the N-1 fighter and the AAT Tank. They were both excellent vehicles. They just didn't have any classic battle scenes together. The tank only shot at 2 fightercrafts, hitting one and missing Anakin alltogether.

The Droid fighters' numbers were daunting in the Battle of Naboo, but they were not as interesting for a dog fight as it was a different kind of star battle with the good guys just trying to survive the swarm long enough to hit the control ship. Droid fighters must have been very hard to target in traditional dog-fighting measures.

jjreason
10-06-2002, 06:58 PM
I love the vehicles from ESB the most, especially the ATAT and Snowspeeders, vintage cloud car.....
HOWEVER, I think the vehicles from ROTJ are the best. Interceptor and Awing, Speederbikes, Skiff, Shuttle... too many big hitters there to really argue. AOTC has the firepower to contend, but we'll have to see what gets made. They seem to be doing a very good job so far.

Darth Sidious
10-09-2002, 08:23 PM
I don't have the Gunship (Although it should arrive in about 5-10 days!) and that thing looks good enough to bump AOTC to the top for me. Plus the JSF and Slave 1 were great. So it's AOTC for me. :)

mark2d2
10-10-2002, 01:45 AM
A New Hope. Definitely, A New Hope.

Escape Pod! SANDCRAWLER! Landspeeder! SANDCRAWLER! Millennium Falcon! Tie Fighter! Death Star! (I know, I know, that was a playset, but the vintage one was seriously one of the best.....) X-Wing! Vader's Tie . . . SANDCRAWLER! (Hmmmmm... Gee, for some reason I keep repeating the Jawa's vehicle. :) )

Empire, though, is a very close second. What with the TIE BOMBER! Bespin Cloud Car, Snowspeeder, Rebel Troop Transport, and the AT-AT.

PS --- Hey! Check out page 24 in Stephen Sansweet's book STAR WARS: from concept to screen to collectable . . . the photo of the TIE BOMBER model used for filming shows just how spot on the Walmart Exclusive was. I only very recently discovered this! Amazing. Absolutely stunning.

bigbarada
10-10-2002, 01:09 PM
With AOTC we have, thus far:

Jedi Starfighter
Slave 1
Gunship
Anakin's Speeder
Zam's Speeder

Upcoming:

Hyperspace Ring
Geonosis Fighters
Hailfire Droid
Anakin's Swoop
Dooku's Swoop
Dwarf Spider Droid

Looks pretty good, even if some of the vehicles are on the small side. Now if we could just get Padme's Ship (the chrome one), an AT-TE, an SPHA-T, Spider Droids, Dooku's Ship and the Republic Assault Ship. Then I think AOTC could make a serious run for the top spot.:)

Darth Evil
10-10-2002, 02:16 PM
I really like AOTC so far. Slave 1 is great. Hopefully things can only get better. I'd like TPM's vehicles more if the Sith Infiltrator was one of them.