PDA

View Full Version : Pasta Roni...for Dummies?

stillakid
10-02-2002, 01:04 PM
I was making dinner the other night and came across something just a bit disturbing in the kitchen. No, not last week’s leftovers, though that reminds me of something I have to do. :) I was in a bit of a hurry, as my son’s after school soccer practice tends to eat up an evening, so I cracked open one of those boxes of Pasta Roni. As it was bubbling in the pot, I glanced again at the directions.

There, about half way down the back was a list of instructions that said the following:

To prepare two boxes:
Follow Range Top Directions, except prepare two boxes of PASTA RONI Shells & White Cheddar in a 3-quart saucepan with 4 cups water, 1 1/3 cups milk and 4 tablespoons margarine or butter.

I looked back up at the top of the box and saw that the two-box instructions were, get this, exactly twice that of the single box.

Now, my heart goes out to those people who have difficulty with some subjects. I, myself, had a horrible time with Geometry back in the day, so I’m willing to cut a little slack when the situation calls for it. However, wouldn’t it just naturally follow that in order to make twice the amount of noodles above, you would double the recipe?

Which leads me to wonder a bit about myself? Are my expectations set too high for mankind? Everyday, it seems, I run into or hear or read something else that lowers the bar just a bit more. Is it really necessary to do the simple math on the box itself or has intelligence and common sense sunk so low that even the most obvious things in life…well, aren’t? :confused:

darthvyn
10-02-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Are my expectations set too high for mankind?

yes. yes they are...

mini-rock
10-02-2002, 01:26 PM
I think you take life, and yourself, way too seriously. Just my opinion. I really think you need to take a step back & relax a bit.:)

I will agree that there are some stupid people out there, and I wonder how some of these people get through life, but I don't dwell on it. There's nothing you can do, and coming from someone who has kids too, life can be stressful enough without that extra BS.:)

JON9000
10-02-2002, 02:11 PM
Mini-rock, I am not sure you appreciate the sarcasm that Stillakid is displaying. He is trying to prove a broader point- that real discussion cannot happen on these boards. He resurrected an old argument about prequels screwing up the story arc, got in a tiresome fight with JJB and Caesar, and was admonished by the Mods. These silly topics are his revenge on the SSG community, I suppose- I leave it to you to decide whether or not he is justified.

jeddah
10-02-2002, 02:15 PM
How perverse! I'll be honest, though and suggest that yes you do expect too much from mankind if current trends are to be noted, and secondly, the law of supply and demand.

The Late Christopher Bean said it best in his stupid people = dumbing down quote.

jeddah

jjreason
10-02-2002, 04:40 PM
Does that work for Kraft Dinner as well?

darthvyn
10-02-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
Does that work for Kraft Dinner as well?

no. no it doesn't...

Jargo
10-02-2002, 04:53 PM
The smart people buy fresh pasta or make it themselves. The smart people also know that there is no such thing as a single person portion of pasta just 'some' which is a non quantity but almost equal to 'enough'.

jjreason
10-02-2002, 04:58 PM
Im a failure! I can't make it worth beans. I do like nice fresh spinach or whole wheat pasta best. Barely needs to go in the water at all.

QLD
10-02-2002, 06:09 PM
I love Pasta Roni.

What is good is making it, and then adding a coupel of cans of Tuna to it. MMmmmmmMMMMmmmm good!

darthvyn
10-02-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
The smart people buy fresh pasta or make it themselves. The smart people also know that there is no such thing as a single person portion of pasta just 'some' which is a non quantity but almost equal to 'enough'.

they also make the "sunday sauce" from scratch... the sauce that takes all day to make, simmering on the range... mmmmm... sunday sauce....

stillakid
10-02-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by JON9000
Mini-rock, I am not sure you appreciate the sarcasm that Stillakid is displaying. He is trying to prove a broader point- that real discussion cannot happen on these boards. He resurrected an old argument about prequels screwing up the story arc, got in a tiresome fight with JJB and Caesar, and was admonished by the Mods. These silly topics are his revenge on the SSG community, I suppose- I leave it to you to decide whether or not he is justified.

I was talking about Pasta Roni. What are you talking about? Please keep the discussion to the topic at hand. Thank you.

JediTricks
10-02-2002, 06:16 PM
Jargo, fresh pasta is no better than dry pasta these days IMO, it all comes down to quality of materials and how well the product was made.

There are some recipes where doubling the main ingredient does NOT require doubling all the other ingredients, so while they could have simply said "double the ingredients", they chose instead to let folks know what to buy and to expect.

Beast
10-02-2002, 08:05 PM
Bingo JT, I have seen enough boxes of Side Dish type products that tell you to put in different ammounts, instead of exactly doubling the ingredients. There are probably other types of Pasta Roni where you don't have to double somthing. Printing the doubled up instructions is likely just for convinence sake. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
10-02-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by JON9000

He asked the question. I gave my opinion.;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-02-2002, 11:08 PM
Ugggh. Not again.

May I refer you to this similar thread that attempted to get to the bottom of all this animosity.

What is going on at SirSteves... (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14129)

Oh wait, we started a big fight on that thread too. :rolleyes:

My feelings are this. This is a forum with over 3,300 registered members and hundreds of regular users. These users seem to reperesent an accurate cross section of society, people from every field--you have your computer buffs, your vindictive folks, your scholars, your city-slickers, your arrogant folks, your jokesters, your bend-over-backwards nice folks, your folks with personality, your helpful folks, your opinionated folks, your steadfast folks, etc., etc., etc. You will encounter these folks just about in any facet or forum of life.

The proper way to deal with fellow forumites if you have differings of opinion, is to level with them. Be straightfoward, but that should include a sense of dignity, fairness, and intelligence (and maybe the occasional light humor and sarcasam :p ) That is something that you should be responsible for--that you can control.

If the other person chooses not to respond in that way--then pity on them :cry: I think it is up to the user to make sure that his or her actions maintain some sense of decency. I know how frustrating it can be, to let those people with differing notions and opinions that you think are wrong, carry on. It is especially galling when these persons use personal or dirty attacks. It is only logical to think of revenge against that person--it is tempting to stoop to their level and fight back. The whole Deadeye situation reminds me of this. You had some forumites cringe at every word he said. They felt the need to respond to every post he made, even I think lose sleep over the stuff he said. While I rarely agreed and was regularly appalled at much of the stuff he said, I didn't feel the need to engage him at his level. I either ignored him (usually) or if I did respond to him, maintained a sense of decorum in my posting. If it ever came to me not wanting to see anymore of what he put out, I could have always used the ignore feature, a nice handy tool on these forums.

I think JT had it right when he called for someone to be the "bigger man" and put an end to this fighting. It isn't healthy for the forum, for the people involved, for anyone.

There is a great deal of intelligence among these forums, and a diversity of opinions. They may not be agreeable to you, but I am glad there are differences out there. It makes excellent discussion. I enjoy reading the exchange between stillakid and JJB--they both raise excellent and differing points. They make you think. So do many other of the forumites on SirSteves.

What I don't enjoy is the petty fighting and the fact that some of you can't let go of grudges. I am not blaming any of you for this, but I do think it is time for both of you to end this pointless bickering. I'd hate to see either one of you leave because of this.

So to sum it all up, it's time to put along our differences and try to see each other as human beings. Let's not let this infighting get under our skin. Take it in stride, just accept that it is a part of life that you may have little control over. Just as long as you maintain that sense of decency and fairness, you shouldn't have to worry about others.

Emperor Howdy
10-03-2002, 12:06 AM
Wow! All that because of Pasta-Roni!

:stupid:

:Pirate: "Yeaargh, well I calls it Crapa-Roni!.......it'll ne'r be Mac-n-cheese!

plasticfetish
10-03-2002, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Jargo, fresh pasta is no better than dry pasta these days IMO, it all comes down to quality of materials and how well the product was made.

Though I too would consider myself the king of boxed noodles and canned tuna ... as my lovely Italian grandmother taught me, there is no substitute for fresh handmade pasta. That pretty much goes for any kind of food though. The question is, are you prepared to spend a third of your life in the kitchen making "fresh" pasta like grandma Mildred ... or do you go for the box and get on with your life?

Hmmm ...
I think "Go for the box and get on with your life" may be my new personal slogan.

jjreason
10-03-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by plasticfetish

Hmmm ...
I think "Go for the box and get on with your life" may be my new personal slogan.

It's been mine since grade eleven. :sur: :D

JediTricks
10-03-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
Though I too would consider myself the king of boxed noodles and canned tuna ... as my lovely Italian grandmother taught me, there is no substitute for fresh handmade pasta. That pretty much goes for any kind of food though. The question is, are you prepared to spend a third of your life in the kitchen making "fresh" pasta like grandma Mildred ... or do you go for the box and get on with your life? I was really only referring to store-bought fresh vs dry (the difference between spending $4.50 for 4 ounces or 89cents for a pound), hand-made will always taste better because it's made with the secret ingredient, "love". ;) Of course, the other secret ingredient, "salmonella", is what keeps me from making my own pasta. :D

Here's what I don't get, Rice-a-Roni (the San Francisco treat) is "rice with pasta", so why are they calling this "Pasta-Roni" - wouldn't that be like calling it "pasta with pasta"?