PDA

View Full Version : The Horror!!! E-bay rip-off?

DarthBrandon
10-02-2002, 10:32 PM
This is with out a doubt a rip off of the greatest kind. Not only is this a fake, but somehow he (the seller) has it graded (faked) by AFA. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1772314662

This is how I know (Taken from one of Gus Lopez and Chris Fawcett's guildline on the Vinyl Cape Jawa)

The cape should match the color of the Jawa. Many fakes are being made by cutting Ben Kenobi capes to the size for the Jawa. The Ben capes however are a deeper reddish-brown than the Jawa cape. It is good to compare the VC Jawa cape to a Ben cape and make sure they are very different colors.
The arm holes should fit very snuggly. Often on fakes which have been hand cut, the holes for the arms are fairly loose. On real VC Jawa, the arm holes are very tight.
The cape should have the same thickness as the Ben capes. Many of the fakes out there that are not made from Ben capes are the correct color. But since these capes have been made recently, the material is different from the real VC Jawa cape. Many of these capes are much stiffer and thicker than real capes. The VC and Ben capes are made from the same material, so check both the thickness and pliability against a Ben cape.
The Jawa cape has a very faint crosshatch pattern on the inside. The outside is very smooth. Check for this pattern as it would be very difficult to fake this detail.

Here is a pic of the real one, you can actually tell the difference between the color and the cut of the cape.

Emperor Howdy
10-02-2002, 10:50 PM
Hmmm, I don't know man. Are you sure it's bogus? I see what you're saying, but then again it looks like the seller just took crappy, dark pics. What a terrible, terrible thing if it is fake! :mad: :mad:

JON9000
10-02-2002, 10:54 PM
I have to think in these cases that AFA would be extra careful to determine the authenticity of the figure. Grading something that expensive in a negligent manner might get them in hot water or ruin their reputation. One of the only reasons for using AFA is getting a better sense of authenticity.

Exhaust Port
10-02-2002, 10:55 PM
It could be that the type of photography is distorting the image color. Question, is the serial number for the vinyl Jawa differnent than the other Jawa's? If so, wouldn't this person have to fake the whole card as well?

I'm by no means an expert on this or even a good source, I'm just curious. Looking at the 2 pictures I can't see any glaring errors as you said Brandon. Sure the cape seems perhaps a bit different and the color is also a different hue but again, it's hard to do anything like that justice with 4 pictures.

It really doesn't matter though as I think it's stupid to pay $4500 for 2.5" of plastic no matter if its real or fake.

Emperor Howdy
10-02-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
It really doesn't matter though as I think it's stupid to pay $4500 for 2.5" of plastic no matter if its real or fake.

Amen! I was going to say the same thing......and a $6,400 "Buy It Now"!?!?!.......Jeeez......:rolleyes:

DarthBrandon
10-02-2002, 11:17 PM
Here is a comparison pic between the two, you can clearly see the difference between the cut in the cape (style) Also you can see the real one opens in the front while the one I'm sure is fake does not. Save it and enlarge it to see the difference.:D

DarthBrandon
10-02-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy

Amen! I was going to say the same thing......and a $6,400 "Buy It Now"!?!?!.......Jeeez......:rolleyes:

I can agree with that 100%, I was just bringing the news as many before have done.

P.S.
The truth is in the cape.:D

rynobot
10-03-2002, 12:04 AM
I just posted this at RebelScum, they have lots of Vintage collectors who are good at spotting fakes, they should give great insight to the truth, and they will I am sure warn the bidders if it is indeed a fake which it appears to be.

DarthBrandon
10-03-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by rynobot
I just posted this at RebelScum, they have lots of Vintage collectors who are good at spotting fakes, they should give great insight to the truth, and they will I am sure warn the bidders if it is indeed a fake which it appears to be.

I just checked over there as well and I found the post. Do you think we should send them the comparison photo I posted as well to show the cape difference. i.e. shorter photo cape is one piece(fake) while the longer photo (real) is able to open in the front like it is supposed to.

rynobot
10-03-2002, 12:32 AM
They won't need it, they are very good at spotting fakes, and just mentioning that it is one should be enough for them to spot what is wrong with the cape.

plasticfetish
10-03-2002, 01:16 AM
This is interesting. I could imagine buying something like this if I had money to burn ... but off of a stranger on eBay? I don't think so.

As far as the issue of one photo's color quality vs. the other ... I tried to do a little adjusting on the eBay items photo. Pulled it into Photoshop and tried to bring the yellows (etc.) in the bubble as close together on both of them as possible. The end result? Hahaha ... I have no idea.

DarthBrandon
10-03-2002, 01:35 AM
Hey I could be wrong but something doesn't look right about this at all.:D

plasticfetish
10-03-2002, 01:57 AM
Wrong or right, I think you're a lot smarter to question the ad than the person who's getting ready to pay the equivalent of a new car's down payment for a toy ... based on a few low resolution photos. I tend to be a skeptic and would suspect a "rip-off". I wonder, couldn't they just fake the AFA label as well?

jjreason
10-03-2002, 07:22 AM
If the AFA is anything like Comic Book Guarantee, they'll have a UPC symbol in their label. A quick check with the seller, then AFA would likely be able to determine their notes on the object (faults found). If I were the buyer, you can be darned sure I'd be doing a little research on an item like this one.

PS - the cloth cape is WAY, WAY BETTER!
"Go cloth or go home." :)

Darth Cruel
10-03-2002, 11:58 AM
Even with the comparison photos, I don't see enough evidence of this being a fake. The only difference I see in the photos is the lighting. Based on the criteria printed in the first post the only two comparisons that can be made are the color of the cape matching the figure...can't really tell well enough...and the tightness of the arm holes...they look pretty tight to me. The one obvious difference I see is the collar of the cape. It looks to be a different cut, but that could just be the amount of overlap that it was given. I am not touting this as authentic and I would not be caught dead buying one of these from an Ebay seller with such poor grammar, but I realy don't see any evidence of a fraud here.

plasticfetish
10-03-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
"Go cloth or go home."

Word up to that!

New personal slogan?

QLD
10-03-2002, 03:51 PM
I can think of 6500 things I would rather do than buy that thing.....holy christ!

JediTricks
10-03-2002, 06:23 PM
Because the seller's photo is so different from the "proof" photo, I can't really tell if it's a fake or not. I don't see the telltale "frayed bottom of the cape" though, that's all I really know what to look for.

Of course, this fig - fake or not - is worth about $20 in my book.

DarthBrandon
10-04-2002, 02:09 AM
Two forumites over at RebelScum have reported this as being authentic, although I still have doubts about it, I still wouldn't take the chance and pay $4000 to $6500 for one on E-bay or anywhere else for that matter. I'll always have my doubts about it, because with today's technology anything is possible.

That being said THEAD CLOSED:)