PDA

View Full Version : Re-Resculpts: what do you do with the old ones?

jedihunter25
10-04-2002, 01:14 AM
When Hasbro makes re-resculpts, what do you do with the old ones?

For myself, I like to make movie scenes and dioramas with my SW collection. I made custom shelves (some are 7' long and 7' 1/2" tall) for each movie. I'm a die hard collector and have been collecting since 95 so I like to keep the new & old resculpts (even the He-man Luke) on my shelves. When new figs came out, I used to determine how many doubles I would need to complete my scenes. Now with Hasbro making so many resulpts I only buy one of each. I now have a big box in my walk-in closet where figs will never see the light of day again (some of these were the ones that I only bought one of each). I'd sell them on Ebay or something but they are out of the package and I barely get a penny for them. I bought the Saga X-wing, but I also have the two last ones( FX and POTF). I was going to put it with my Dagobah scene but it's too big (I left the POTF in there because of room) so I'm thinking of haging it from the ceiling. I already have the ESB Slave 1 (and working on a Bepin landing pad diorama for it) that I can use ONLY for one scene, so to keep from tossing more money into the dark closet box, I'll pass on the new one that has been talked about.:D

bigbarada
10-04-2002, 02:11 AM
I usually give the old versions of figures, or figures I am just sick of, to my nephews. I must have given them like 200 figures by now, much better than them rotting away in a box in the closet (which is what I used to do with them).

Prince Xizor
10-04-2002, 02:15 AM
Yeah, I'm kinda like bigbarada. I have a little brother who usually gets the crap toys I don't want anymore.

The poor kid probably has like 5 Tatooine Lukes and 9 Endor Hans.

gibbspaulus
10-04-2002, 03:45 AM
I'm more like JediHunter. As I work on displaying my collection I make each shelf a 'zone'. There's a tatooine zone (or two) a mini-rig zone, a Naboo zone, an imperial zone ...etc. That way I can use many of the re-sculpts. It means I can have an ANH Luke in four different zones (although one wil be accompanied by Monkey-Leia, but they'll be at the back.

Actually, you'v given me an idea to put the first two POTF2 waves on their own to show how far we have (or have not, depending on your Saga views) come!

jjreason
10-04-2002, 03:53 AM
Im always in flux. One of my favorite displays was mimicking the poster released in 98 as a checklist of all however many figures there'd been released up until sneak preview Mace and Battle Droid. I loved having it (almost - still missing the stupid EU figures and 2 others) on my shelves.

With rescultps and dioramas I see no conflict. Use both old and new to show some variation in your troops - good example is the rebel fleet troopers - I have a few of each and it looks cool. Imperial troops even more so. By the way, we need some new Imp troop resculpts on the TIE Pilot and DS gunner. Sounds like "Dear Hasbro" time.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-06-2002, 01:08 PM
I keep everything I buy, all the figures are arranged in ABC order, one shelf for each movie (TPM is most crowded, ESB is least - c'mon Hasbro mor ESB!).

Tycho
10-06-2002, 11:28 PM
I don't buy some of the new figures if they are resculpts:

Figures I turned down:

Luke Blast Shield
Leia All New Likeness
Anakin Skywalker (spirit - Flashback)
Leia Ceremony (Flashback)
Padme Ascension Gun
Luke X-wing POTJ
Han Endor Raid
Luke Bespin (saga)
Chewie Bespin Escape
Darth Maul (EU)
Darth Maul (Saga)
Qui-Gon (Saga)

I'm sure there's more but I feel nostalgic for my '95's even, and leave them in the scenes.

I too buy however many figures I think I'll need to do scenes - like 11 Anakin Hanger Duels. OK - I went out and bought that many.

I think I needed 4 Palpatines - done deal. Etc.

If they make a better sculpt later on, oh well... If I can make an excuse for a new scene, I'll buy it. Like I bought Han Bespin Capture to witness Luke in the new Bacta Tank and so on...

Figures I don't have, I'll appreciate more when I see them in your collection. Get it?

Sinister Lord
10-07-2002, 09:00 AM
My strategy is more along the lines of what Tycho said. I just don't buy the resculpts.

Some stuff I've passed on, or plan to pass on...

Saga Ki-Adi-Mundi
Saga Saesee Tiin
POTJ X-Wing Luke
POTJ Han (blue pants)
POTJ Han (bespin)
Cantina sets (Hammerhead, Greedo, Ponda Baba, Wuher, Dr. Evazan)
Saga Obi-Wan (deluxe)
Jango Fett (sneak preview and deluxe)
POTJ Lando (bespin)
POTJ Jar Jar Binks
Anniversary sets (Han/Chewy, Luke/Leia, Vader/Ben)
Saga Dagobah X-wing
Saga Landspeeder

Right now, the whole resculpt thing is just annoying to me. There is a lot of stuff coming out that I just pass on. I just keep the first sculpt version. I suppose this strategy saves me money in the end, which is always a good thing, but I find the lack of new toys a bit annoying. I want Hasbro to do new characters instead of just resculpting the olds ones over and over again.

Tycho
10-07-2002, 10:12 AM
They always want to have the main characters out there in one version or another so that new collectors and novelty buyers can have a crack at them.

The thing is: there are still movie versions of many of the main characters that have not yet been done, and there are expanded universe versions that are close enough, some novelty collectors won't mind.

Luke - Medical robes from ESB, Jedi Master from NJO, Endor
Leia - Bespin Gown, Medical robes, Chief of State NR, Jedi Apprentice
Han Solo - New Jedi Order (dressed in black), Corellian General's uniform
Chewbacca - last stand (NJO)
Lando- smuggler from ESB, Mining Baron (HTTE), NR Special Forces
R2D2- sailbarge, new lightsaber launcher, Battle of Yavin damaged
C-3PO - Jabba's sailbarge escape (slime, eye out), Ewok God
Obi-Wan - Jedi Apprentice, Kamino Rain Battle, Jedi Temple E2
Anakin - Jedi Temple E2
Mace Windu - Jedi Temple, Robe Aflame, Hologram
Padme - only about 13 versions from AOTC, 5 from TPM
Jango Fett - Kamino apartment
Nute Gunray - AOTC
Lott Dodd - AOTC

only Darth Vader, Count Dooku, Darth Maul, Qui-Gon, JarJar seem to be over-made without new possiblities.

Now I bought the POTJ Lando and did a scene from the comic "Underworld" because the comic was so good and the figures I could use just rocked: Lando, Han CommTech, Chewie Mechanic, Boba Fett 300, and I used the cantina sets to get more aliens (quantity) and a bar base to recreate Dexter's Diner. Again, I used the POTJ Han Bespin, to stand watch over Luke Bacta in a scene where I add Leia Hoth, FX-7, and 2-1B, and K-3PO just to get some of those new figures into a scene with appropriate extra characters.

Some of the resculpts I mentioned were just too good. But I'm usually alright at ignoring them. When you do build dioramas and want 16 of some Clone figure, you love to skip other figures that you won't need for anything. Besides, don't the previous, weaker sculpts, still hold nostalgic value?

Beast
10-07-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
only Darth Vader, Count Dooku, Darth Maul, Qui-Gon, JarJar seem to be over-made without new possiblities.
Well, there are a couple versions of atleast a few of those charecters that still could be produced. :)

Darth Vader w/ Removable Helmet in the correct scale with a 2-peice helmet. That is rumored for this year, so that will be good. A better Rejuvination chamber, like that came with the vintage Star Destroyer playset could include another Vader as well. Darth Vader: Funeral Pyre is always a option as well. :)

Count Dooku would be nice to have articulated so that he can sit. He could come with his chair from the arena box. An EU version of him in Jedi robes would be nice as well. :)

Darth Maul has been done to death, let the charecter die for cripes sake. Only time I want to see another Maul is as a pack-in with his Sith Infiltrator. :)

Qui-Gon has been done to death also. Only thing we haven't gotten was a battle damaged or funeral pyre Qui-Gon. An EU padawan Qui-Gon to go with the EU Dooku: Jedi Master would be nice also. :)

Jar Jar Binks has had plenty of E1 figures. The swimming version and the POTJ one with tounge pretty much are perfect for any E1 scenes. A re-sculpt of his Senate Address outfit is needed, since he doesn't look right with Palpy and Orn Free Taa in his quasi action pose. The outfit from earlier in the film with the sparkly robe and the fancy epaulettes is also needed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
10-07-2002, 05:21 PM
I pit old sculpts of figures against one another in a bloodsport style tournament.........

2 men enter....1 man leaves.

Tycho
10-07-2002, 07:14 PM
I disagree / agree with some of your choices JarJar:

Darth Vader: agree. The rumored Bespin Blast Deflect is also ok by me. But we just had a Vader (though it's selling very well). Let's spread them out. Maybe not until 4th Quarter 2003?

Count Dooku does not need to be done again. The Trial cut scene lends itself to a sit-down version of him more than anything. I suppose that again, late 2003 would be ok.

Darth Maul doesn't even need to be a pack-in with his Sith Infiltrator. They made the soft-goods figures so that figures could sit down in the ships. I bought a sg Maul that I'm saving on the card until I get that ship by Hasbro.

Qui-Gon could be made with the molded hood up, to match Coco-Wan Kenobi (POTJ). But who likes either of these figures anyway?
A plastic poncho Tatooine Qui-Gon could be foreseeable (similar to the Tatooine Jedi Duel CS). Qui-Gon looked cool that way. But I'd settle for articulation and no wild pre-posing or he'll sit worse than "Macie Wonder."

JarJar's outfit in the beginning of AOTC may have indeed been different. I really never cared to look. When his tongue is numb on Tatooine, it is different than when he slurps food or "gives Qui-Gon the birdie." I agree the action pose for JarJar is a bit ridiculolus. I don't know what on earth they were thinking when they made that figure. He was Coll. 2 - collectors' characters, AND if he was made to attract kids, more articulation versus pre-posing would have been more fun to "Recreate JarJar's Coruscant adventures with."

I am not without imagination to see different versions of these figures as being possible, I'd just so much prefer not to see them! - and at least wait a while: Vader, Maul, JarJar, and Qui-Gon are still everywhere on the shelf. The Jango I suggested looks nothing like the 4 Jangos that are out there now. It is so much more demanded for and plausible for an "overmarketed character."

Beast
10-07-2002, 07:28 PM
Oops, you're right. I totally forgot about Qui-Gon: Jedi Ambassador. We could use him as well, though don't make him like the crappy choco-cloak Obi-Wan. A new Qui-Gon: Jedi Ambassador and Obi-Wan: Jedi Ambassador would be nice after all. But make them like Darth Sidious (E1) or Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (E2). Sure they would be more or less statues, but they don't do much at the start of E1 anyway. Plus if the arms are like the E1 Darth Sidious, they could cross them infront of them. They should do the two of them in a Screen Scene set. :)

The numb tongue Jar Jar has been pretty much done. The Jar Jar in the Tatooine Encounter Cinema Scene has his tongue sticking out a bit on the side of his mouth. The figure may be terrible, but they did do a version with the numb tongue. But as far as E2, the outfit from earlier in the movie is different then the outfit Jar Jar wears during the "Senatorial Speech" scene. Gimme a few to grab some pics, and I'll post a comparison. :)

Having trouble finding a decent picture of Jar Jar's Senatorial Address outfit. Here's the outfit he wears during the rest of the movie. The figure we got is based upon the Senatorial Address outfit. I'll keep looking for a picture of it. Here's the best picture of the Senatorial Address outfit that I could find. I know you see it better in the movie, but we may have to wait til November to get a good view. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=80930
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=58617

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
10-08-2002, 05:58 PM
I buy what the hell I like and if the new one surpasses the old and i have no need of it I chuck the crapness in a box and shove it under the bad ready for a time I might want to do some customising. Or I give it to my nephews.

I didn't buy the gunner stations, i didn't buy the death star escape CS, Sad to say I bought chocobi-wan because the initial pictures from hasbro showed it as a new sculpt and the fibnished product was the same as the very first Obi they shoved out for episode one. Very disappointing. Hasbro hid it from us under that huge chococoating. GRRR! :mad: Generally I spend hours looking at the pictures and trying to convince myself i don't need the figure but then it packs with a cool accessory or something and I buy for the accessory. I did buy Luke blast shield just for the helmet, I did buy Yoda galaxy globe just for the swamp flyer critter etc. Usually though if I'm buying just for the accessory i wait and try to find the thing really cheap on sale. I buy the stuff I really want that's all new first. Needless to say my box of stuff for customising is pretty full right now. Probably around 100 figures in there. Plus all the accessories I didn't want like the stormtrooper rifle rack and stuff like the jabba glob and frogs, millions of weapons and bits and lightsabers from figures that didn't use them in the movie. I have many pacifist figures in my collection especially around Mos Eisley. Momaw Nadon doesn't need his gun, he's a herbivore pacifist gardener. Nabriun Leids doesn't need his gun he's too busy getting drunk. Not all Jawas carry blasters. I have two shoe boxes full of weapons and blueshockelectroforcestuff. I'm sick of the sight of lightsabers.

JEDIpartner
10-08-2002, 10:25 PM
I just put my old figures into a little baggie with their accessories and then into a plastic bin. I would never throw anything away. Everything I collect... I collect for a reason. This is also the reason I would never sell any of my pieces.

Darkross
10-09-2002, 11:43 AM
Well...like most of the people here...I don't normally buy re-sculpts...unless they are an improvement on the original and that it is cheaper for me to buy a bunch of resculpted figures versus buying the originals on-line. I passed on:

POTJ X-Wing Luke (awful...just an awful looking figure!)
Com-Tech Stormtrooper
Several Darth Vaders
C3PO's and R2D2's

Most of the SAGA figures...except for the OT (which what I collect anyway)

The way I keep my collection straight and how many figures that I need to buy...is I keep an Excel spreadsheet...which lists my entire inventory, and is cross-referenced with a diorama listing so I can determine which figures I need for which dioramas, and how many multiples for each diorama. Right now I can say that I have 169 figures (pack-ins included) and 214 figures to go.

This helps me when I'm looking for figures...in that I don't buy the figures I don't need or want for dioramas. Maybe someday...when I have more money...I'll buy at least one of every POTF2, POTJ, SAGA, EPISODE I figure...but for now...I'm only collecting for diorama purposes.

For those of you who passed up Lando (Bespin) and Luke (Bespin)...you really should buckle down and get these two...they are really nice figures. I bought two Landos (need 1 more) and three Bespin Lukes...along with my POTF2 Bespin Luke...my Bespin Luke collection is complete. (4 dioramas planned!)

Sinister Lord
10-09-2002, 11:53 AM
I passed on the POTJ Bespin Lando because he was too wimpy looking... too short or something. I only have one Bespin diorama, and that's all I need, so the first Bespin Lando works just fine for that.

Although I do think some of the first POTF2 figures were too bulky and muscular... the later versions look too wimpy so I passed on a lot of them for that reason.

And I agree that there is a "nostalgia" element to the first sculpts... I think the super muscular Tatooine Luke just rocks! I got a bunch of those.

The Overlord Returns
10-09-2002, 11:54 AM
I didn't buy the original Bespin lando because he looked like garbage.......I just knew a better one would eventually arrive.