PDA

View Full Version : Rebel Fleet Trooper and Imperial Officer Thoughts?

SirSteve
08-15-2001, 06:49 PM
What do you think of the new Rebel Fleet Trooper and Imperial Officer (http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=26&show_article=453)?

JediTricks
08-15-2001, 09:15 PM
I posted my initial thoughts this morning on the old forums about these, but they're worth commenting on again...

The Imperial officer has a nice range of articulation, I was shocked to see how much Hasbro packed on to this bad boy. Some very interesting choices, and I'm glad they thought enough about this to make him clasp his hands behind his back. This figure looks like a great addition to the imperial forces.

The Rebel Fleet trooper is like everything I wanted from the original. The 21st Century Toys' Ultimate Soldier XD style knees are not something I usually like, but a great idea in this case, they really look better than the junky legs on figures like Luke T-16. The rest is fantastic too, a total departure from "Giant beefcake" Rebel Fleet Trooper. I'm especially impressed here.

bigbarada
08-15-2001, 09:53 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D

The POTJ line just keeps getting better and better!

One question, is the Rebel Trooper stuck in a crouching pose? If so that's fine, but I'll have to find something for him to lean against; since it's doubtfull he'll be able to stand on his own like that.

JediTricks
08-15-2001, 10:10 PM
No, that's what the "Ultimate Soldier XD knee articulation" I mentioned is for, it's a 90-degree pivot point of articulation that lets a leg be either straight up or in a sitting/kneeling position (or out to the sides, but that looks ridiculous). It can stand OR kneel!!!

bigbarada
08-15-2001, 10:24 PM
Maybe, I'm just looking at it wrong, but it seems that if you straightened out his legs his feet would be pointed backwards! I'll have another look at it.

JediTricks
08-15-2001, 10:29 PM
OHHH! So THAT'S what the ankle articulation is for! I just figured that out! The ankles are articulated to rotate around. I thought when Hasbro said "Ankle Articulation", they meant pivot like on Opee-Qui-Gon, but it's not, it rotates.

bigbarada
08-15-2001, 10:39 PM
Oh... cool. :)

Darth Cruel
08-16-2001, 12:57 AM
These two figures SEEM to show that Hasbro is taking the line in a direction I have wished it to go for a long time! The kneeling ability is going to be a HUGELY welcome change. And the fact that they got the weapon right as far as scale and design are very exciting to me.

The Imperial Officer is every bit as exciting to me. JT - what did you mean with the comment about how much Hasbro piled on this figure. Were you referring to the articulation or do you know something about accessories that I haven't read yet.

PloKoon2385
08-16-2001, 01:11 AM
I really want to see the variations now! REALLY REALLY REALLY wanna see 'em! The Imperial Officer is AMAZING! The Rebel Fleet Trooper is a HUGE upgrade. Sorry for using all the CAPS. I HAD to SRESS my EXCITEMENT! YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!

Rollo Tomassi
08-16-2001, 02:03 AM
That ankle articulation really is sweet JT!

hairless chewie
08-16-2001, 04:50 AM
In the words of Dark Lord Monty Burns " Excellent"

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
The Imperial Officer is every bit as exciting to me. JT - what did you mean with the comment about how much Hasbro piled on this figure. Were you referring to the articulation or do you know something about accessories that I haven't read yet.
Yes, I meant they packed a lot of articulation into that sucker. "The Imperial officer has a nice range of articulation, I was shocked to see how much Hasbro packed on to this bad boy."

Oilboy
08-16-2001, 07:16 AM
:D

Heh, these look preety sweet. However, I am already getting a headache thinking about how impossible it will be to find them.

humsup
08-16-2001, 08:30 AM
This is the first post for me in this new forum and I really like its spunky new look.

OK, back to the topic. These 2 figs are the ones I'm waiting for after getting the Sandtrooper. They are just way too cool and can't wait for especially the RFT. Gotta do a Tantive IV diorama when I can lay my hands on a handful of them :D

ChronicJedi
08-16-2001, 08:40 AM
Don't worry about finding them. I'm sure with the collector minded approach Hasbro claims to be taking they will ship more than 1 per case. You must also factor in that the stores you shop in actually have to ORDER the product. The issue of scalpers is there too, but who is worse to the fellow who can't find a Sandtrooper? A scalper or an army building collector? We are often our own worst enemies. I have 5 Sandtroopers (so far). When these guys come out I WILL buy every one I see. In my experience there's no such thing as... too many. You just have to be lucky and fast. I thumb through the pegs about 5-6 times a week when the store opens. If you have that kind of time you shouldn't have problems finding what you're looking for. Luckily for me I get off work half an hour before the stores open. ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-16-2001, 11:12 AM
They look awesome! These will probably be hard to find, despite what ChronicJedi said. I look forward to their release. Hasbro could re-do all the "armies" figures: Hoth Soldier, Snowtrooper, Endor Soldier, X-Wing Pilot, TIE Pilot, etc.

Pleeeeeeease let my signature show up THIS time!
-------

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 11:52 AM
I want at least 8 new RFTs and 4 new Imp Officers. The more I think about the new RFT, the more of that figure I want! It's driving me MAD!!!

bigbarada
08-16-2001, 12:38 PM
When exactly are these figures supposed to be released? IF it's within three months of Ep2's premiers then there might be a problem finding them, because most stores will put aside POTJ orders to stock up on Ep2. In their mind Star Wars is Star Wars and we're not supposed to care which figure we get as long as it says Star Wars on the card.

Hopefully, Ep1 scared enough toy aisle managers into taking it easy on the backstock. I know that at military exchange stores they've been ordered never to order Star Wars toys again due to getting burned on Ep1 figures. :(

However, if the POTF2 Flashback wave is any indication then these figures will be plentiful when the Ep2 craze dies down.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-16-2001, 01:19 PM
Wait a minute. Let me get this straight. Hasbro, the company who brought us such one-pose wonders as Chessmaster Chewie and Coruscant Guard is giving us articulation?!

I am beside myself with amazement and wonder. Who would have thought hasblow would have gone this route? The articulation is just flat-out awesome. Being able to finally pose them in more than one fashion is great! Besides that, the actual sculpts are just sweet! My first impression is that these guys look to be at the top of the evolutionary ladder for figures.

If we could get more imperial and rebel personnel, like a new DS trooper or hoth soldier, that would be awesome.

Let's hear it for Hasbro. Looks like they've finally made something we can all agree is good.

OC47150
08-16-2001, 02:11 PM
I can't wait to see one in person!!

jedi master sal
08-16-2001, 02:12 PM
As the title of my reply states FANTASTIC.

I have been waiting for a rescuplt of the BUFF RFT and have sorely wanted more Imprial officers. In fact just yesterday I was talking about the lack of Imp OFF's and thought that I would have to settle for customizing Adm. Piett figs.

ooray for hasbro.......

But keep them comin'

MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!

MTFBWY

puppetboy
08-16-2001, 05:01 PM
The sculpting is fantastic, especially on the Rebel Fleet Trooper, a definite Improvement over the Origional. The only thing I don't like is the 21st. cen. XD type of knee articulation. I hope Habro decides to change this to standard knee articulation. After all 21st. cen. changed it on their XD figures.
As far as the Imperial officer goes the sculpt is great, what I was wondering is what uniform is he wearing? It looks more lika a black version of the atst driver's jumpsuit than the standard Imp officer's uniform.

jedi master sal
08-16-2001, 05:06 PM
That is the same uniform worn by the Imp OFF's in a new hope when they borded the Tantive IV. One is talking with Vader and another comes up to talk to Vader about the escape pod and Vader dispatches him to the planet "See to it personally Commander, there will be noone to stop us this time".

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-16-2001, 05:15 PM
I'm SO impressed with these figures. I'm wondering though, instead of just two variations, would it kill Hasbro to produce about four variations on each figure, like they did with the battle droids? I was really hoping for that with the CommTech Stormtroopers. Oh well, one can dream. I suppose I should be thankful they're doing variations at all.

evenflow
08-16-2001, 06:28 PM
Awesome figures. I think I was the first to post about them in the old forums, great figures. Hasbro is getting awesome with each new figure.

Jargo
08-16-2001, 08:05 PM
I'm happy as a pig in poodoo. Hasbro have come through with the best wave ever in my opinion. With these babies and the deluxe figures it shows that they are keeping up with the other toy manufacturers in the detail stakes.
We all have such high demands about what we want to and expect to see in our purchases that basically hasbro have no choice but to listen or their sales would suffer from apathy and the line would suffer and possibly get cancelled.
Before you start screaming that there are too many fans for that to happen, they didn't listen to fans of the episode one line and they didn't listen to fans of the commtech line. they didn't sell so they got canned.
These new figures are exactly what we should expect for our money and we shouldn't let them get away with less.
However, I don't think all of the figures from now will have articulation like this. hasbro seem to put out an excellent wave and then ride on the success of that and get lazy with the next waves. like not sculpting figures underneath their robes and bad hands and heads that don't turn properly and no accessories etc. It's happened so many times because they just keep going for the fast buck.
Not that I'm not happy for these figures coming out now, because I'm really tickled to bits about them and can't wait to hassle my comic store owner friend to order them for me. :D

I think I'd actually like to extend a big vote of thanks to the guys who sculpted these figures. they got them spot on and deserve some praise for that. Well done guys - a good job all round! :)

jedibear
08-16-2001, 11:02 PM
Great Pictures, SirSteve. (Also...site's looking good...easier on the eyes)

The Rebel Fleet trooper & the Imp officer are outstanding! No more buff bull with the trooper and the Imperial looks great too.

I'd love it if these two were in a case all by themselves...as it is, they're gonna be tough to find around here in NoCal/NoBay.

hairless chewie
08-17-2001, 01:41 AM
Barada, you said this, "I know that at military exchange stores they've been ordered never to order Star Wars toys again due to getting burned on Ep1 figures. " Is this true??? I'm in the Army overseas so this really concerns me. I know what you mean about backstock. I just picked up the Endor Han 12" wave for $4 a piece.

QLD
08-17-2001, 02:45 AM
These are the best looking figures I have seen yet!

It just shows that they CAN if they want to.

JediTricks
08-17-2001, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
That is the same uniform worn by the Imp OFF's in a new hope when they borded the Tantive IV. One is talking with Vader and another comes up to talk to Vader about the escape pod and Vader dispatches him to the planet "See to it personally Commander, there will be noone to stop us this time".

That could be true, I'll have to look at that scene when I get a chance. I remember his uniform did seem different from the officers in the Death Star.

puppetboy, you think the tongue-in-groove articulation like on Luke T-16 looks better than the 45-degree angle on the WW2 Ultimate Soldier XDs? I don't, that's why I ask, I think figures like Luke T-16, Anakin Mechanic, and Han Millennium Falcon game have the ugliest knee joints of all SW. Only the CTC Stormtrooper pulls this off, and only because one knee is covered and the joint is black. The only join that I think wouldn't look so bad would be the kneecap double-joint like on the Spider-Man classics Spider-Man.

GNT
08-17-2001, 05:45 AM
I think they both rock for once these figures are a real must have!

I like both and both will be added to my collection!

Fulit
08-17-2001, 01:39 PM
The Rebel Fleet Trooper is great, but why did they make a removable helmet and then leave the chin strap on? If you take his helmet off, it looks like the strap is there to hold his mouth shut, not keep his hat on.

SaeseeTiin
08-17-2001, 02:35 PM
I like them both, but why with the Rebel Fleet Trooper did they make him have the same face as the previous R.F.Trooper that was released a few years ago? That is my only problem. A good face for him would be that man with the huge grey eyebrows who I believe gets the most screen time out of all of them.
What does everyone else think?

puppetboy
08-17-2001, 10:57 PM
The sculpting is amazing and the fleet trooper is a BIG improvement over the old one,The only thing I don't like about him is the21st cen. xd style knee joints, I wish they were more traditional knee joints. The Imp. officer looks great but why is he wearing a atst drive type jumpsuit when he should be wearing the Tarkin?Motti style uniform. Anyway the sculpting on these figures are great.

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by SaeseeTiin
I like them both, but why with the Rebel Fleet Trooper did they make him have the same face as the previous R.F.Trooper that was released a few years ago?I don't see it, this figure has a very normal, slightly young face while the other one looks like he came out of Fisher Price town.

As for the outfit, look closer at the pics SirSteve put up today, it's got that double-tunic thing happening like Tarkin and the others, only it's downplayed on this figure more.

jlw
08-18-2001, 08:52 PM
First of all, it never fails, I don't keep up with the forums and they've changed them AGAIN, and I had to register AGAIN. I'm not complaining, though. However, as far as I can tell there are not many people who have used the same user names since the beginning, besides the moderators. As a matter of fact, GNT (Gasgano Never Talks) and myself (jlw) are the only two I can think of (besides moderators). Anyway here are my thoughts:

I am totally excited about this figure!! The rebel fleet trooper is my favorite "soldier" character in the entire Star Wars Universe, and it looks great. A few comments/questions though:

1. The fact that he has knee articulation is awesome, wouldn't matter to me if it had the traditonal or the xd soldier articulation, but the fact that the ankles are articulated make it even better.

2. I am sure the pic is just of a prototype, and there are usually changes made in the final version, but it appears to me that the vest is molded into the chest. I hope the final product has a removable vest.

3. Depending on camera angle it looks as if the arms are articulated at the upper arm so that the arms can meet in the middle so he can hold the gun w/ both hands, also the left hand looks to be articulated and is molded into the right pose for this look. However, it could just be a wrinkle in the shirt.

4. It doesn't look as if the gun will fit in the holster, I hope that this too is changed in the final version.

JediTricks
08-19-2001, 09:13 AM
I've heard the holster DOES work, the vest IS sculpted on (though I don't understand the need to have this removable myself), and it IS nice to welcome you to the new forums. :D

jlw
08-19-2001, 03:56 PM
That's great about the holster, and thanks for the warm welcome

The reason I would like the vest to be removable is so that you can customize the new fleet trooper into Captain Antilles.

bigbarada
08-19-2001, 04:46 PM
I finally saw the close-up of the Imperial Officer and words can't describe my excitement.:D :D :D

I loved the vintage Imperial Officer as a kid and always thought he was one of the most overlooked figures as far as sculpting and detail. I'm ecstatic that the new version continues this trend.

I can hear him now, "Hands, up you Rebel scum!"

rbaumhauer
08-20-2001, 07:50 AM
While I'm generally happy with both figures, there are things about them that seem a bit "off".

The Rebel Trooper looks really nice, and I like all the articulation - the only nit I have to pick is the pose of the right arm and hand, particularly the right wrist. It just seems strange to have all the poseability in general, but be locked into a "aiming" pose with right arm.

On the Imperial Officer, it's obviously a nice sculpt with good detail, but I'm still mystified by the uniform. The Officers in the films wore uniforms that appeared to be a fairly heavy wool, and somewhat rigid/unwrinkled, and not really close-fitting. The figure doesn't really have that look - the uniform looks too wrinkled and close-fitting. It just doesn't have that "dress uniform" look to it.

So, the Rebel Trooper is a huge improvement on the original, and the Imperial is a nice (and necessary) addition to the line.

puppetboy
08-20-2001, 04:34 PM
I recently watched ANH and that is not the same uniform. Also it's not so much that the knee joints look better it's just that the have more movemant to them. T-16 Luke's knees dont look that bad though, but Anakins look awful. anyway the X-D figures legs look very stiff when they are standing

Lobito
08-20-2001, 04:56 PM
I like both figures, but i hope Hasbro drop the re-doings and start giving us the characters that are not realized yet:

General Madine
Luke in white outfit (at the end of ESB)
The missing ewoks...(including a baby ewok)
Etc.