PDA

View Full Version : Well, that sucked...

Darth Nihilus
10-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Grrr, my comp crashed this morning and I had to restore it to factory settings. I lost my address book, Photoshop, Office and numerous media I had picked up over the months. It took me a few goes just get my internet account up and running again.

Just wanted to vent, I hate computer crashes.:mad:

QLD
10-04-2002, 03:58 PM
Ugh, that is horrible. It happened to me a while back. I got so fed up, I bought a new computer :crazed:

Exhaust Port
10-04-2002, 04:51 PM
My harddrive crashed a month ago so I understand your pain. After 7 years it gave up the ghost. Stupid computer.

JediTricks
10-04-2002, 04:57 PM
Sorry to hear that, that sucks mightily.

LTBasker
10-04-2002, 04:59 PM
I just got my computer back from an OS error with Windows ME, actually it was the 2nd time it happened. I was able to finally get XP though, and the people at the computer shop were able to move my files over to another computer's harddrive so I can start over. Have to reinstall every single program, but it's worth it to have WinME off.

Jargo
10-04-2002, 05:55 PM
Crashes are nasty, too bad thereDarth Nihilus.
Removable data storage would be a good place to start now. Get whatever you save to your hard drive backed up. I only ever had one mighty crash due to the inexplicably nasty MTX virus which ate through the entire system. I lost whole media libraries and image banks. I lost countless hours of work on movie scripts and poetry.
Now I back up everything including cookies and favourites each week. I use AHEAD Nero Burning Rom software which came with the CDRW drive.
It saves a lot of heartache if something bad happens, call it damage linitation, you won't necessarily have the most recent work but everything else will be safe. :)

I've also heard from many people that a ZIP drive works wonders. Haven't tried one to be honest so can't vouch for them. But if you lost everything for real you should at least think about a way to ssave data beyond the main hard drive. :)

JediTricks
10-04-2002, 06:15 PM
Zip drive is pretty cool and *fairly* commonplace, but the disks are sorta expensive compared to stuff like CD-R.

Nexu
10-04-2002, 07:22 PM
I'm going to gowith a 40 Gb tape drive. Over-night backup. :)

darthvyn
10-04-2002, 08:50 PM
yeah, zips are okay, but nothing beats a cd/dvd-r/w. zips come in two flavors - 100mb, and 250mb - nothing compared to even a cd... you could get a jaz drive, 1gb disks, but then you run into huge media costs.

yeah, nothing like a good old disc burner!

or you could install an extra hd, and use it STRICTLY as a back up, but then you don't have the use of it...

are you able to get most of your programs back? if you can't get you original version of photoshop, i suggest looking around for photoshop 7 - it's lightyears beyond anything i've used before! unless you already were using 7, in which case you know what i'm talking about...

thespar
10-04-2002, 10:31 PM
so to hear about that. but with i do you guess i like when the some one systems crash and do not know how it get it back up. but what can you say about repair men we all wait for something to break down. as far as zip going they are working on a drive the will be 750mb. guess zip with try to compete with cdrw again.

Darth Nihilus
10-04-2002, 11:57 PM
QLD - This computer isn't even a year old. What happened was some kind of reg error, it wouldn't let me into my desktop even in safe mode.

Lt Basker - LOL, guess what I've got.

EJ - Thankfully most of the stuff I lost wasn't too important, I'm just mostly annoyed, I had incomplete fan-fics, scans and stuff like that I had spent hours working on and accumulating. That said I should get into the habit of backing up. I have a burner so I'll use that.

Darthvyn - Guess which version it was I lost.:crazed: It's okay though, I've already reinstalled it. Same with Office 2002.

thespar - Well my computer knowledge is very shallow and there was no way I was going to take it in to get repaired or 'saved' by a professional. I hate taking things into servicepeople. A simple reboot was enough, like I said the stuff I lost wasn't that important.

and too every one who has been through crashes you definitely have my sympathies.

Nexu
10-05-2002, 12:06 AM
ZIP will never compete with CD-R's. ZIP's are rewritable, but they are ****ing slow. CD-RW is increasing in speed every day it seems like, and with the software that's out, you can now use them just like very large floppies.

Darth Nihilus
10-05-2002, 04:03 AM
It's also the most accessible, my burner came standard with my comp package.

scruffziller
10-05-2002, 08:18 AM
One thing that is recommended is to back everything up, and then every 6 months, reformat your hard drive, then load everything back on. It is like giving your computer a complete program overhaul. It is a good way to prevent crashes as well.

Nexu
10-05-2002, 05:53 PM
There's nothing like a freshly formatted computer. I'd like to format every couple of months or so. I will once I get my own box.

Slicker
11-28-2006, 08:47 PM
I had the same thing happen to me Darth Nihilus. It turns out it was a bad stick on RAM in my case though.

Hope you somehow get everything back.