PDA

View Full Version : Midichlorians in OT



Chewtobacco
10-04-2002, 07:43 PM
Now that we know that potential Jedi are decided by higher than normal midichlorian counts, there brings up an interesting question. (I used to think that only offspring of jedi could create new jedi)

In the 30+ years after the clone wars while Yoda sat in a swamp meditating or eating swamp rats or whatever... wouldn't he have entranced himself in the force at times? That would have possibly alerted him of new beings that were strong candidates for Jedi-hood. Even if he wasn't aware of beings with high midichlorian counts, there would still be good candidates to carry on the Jedi order.

What do you think happened to those potential younglings? It's possible that the Emperor had them exterminated or recruited to the dark side.

This leads me to believe that Obi-Wan's comment in ESB, "he is our only hope" was flawed. There could have been hundreds of other potential candidates in the universe that Obi-Wan could have taken on as padawans at an earlier age than Luke. What do you think?

mini-rock
10-04-2002, 07:58 PM
Yes, you do have to have a higher than usual midi count to use the force, but alot of that ability comes from training. Anakin and Luke were both better than average pilots thanks to what they could draw from the force, but it wasn't until they were trained that they started to develop their true force potential.

As far as others in the SW universe having high midi counts, it wouldn't do much good without the proper training.

Now the "That boy is our last hope" comment. Obi-Wan also said "The Emporer knew that if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him." So it seemed to me that it had to be someone in the Skywalker family that would eventually destroy him.
:)

Beast
10-04-2002, 08:05 PM
Yoda probably had to avoid tapping the force, so that The Emperor or Vader wouldn't pick him up thru the disturbances in the force. Plus I'm sure that if Yoda would have started training padawans again, it would have made that disturbance in the force even stronger and even easier to sense and home in one.

The Empire only likely hunted down existing trained Jedi's. I doubt that they would consider people that merely have the potential, but still require training to be any threat. Like mini-rock said, midiclorian count only means that the person has a greater potential for training.

The reason that the Emperor knew that any of Vader's offspring would be a possible threat to him, was because they could possibly touch that part of Anakin that was buried deep down inside him and bring it back to the surface. Atleast that is what I am getting from that conversation. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
10-04-2002, 09:03 PM
Supposedly all of the Jedi were exterminated by Vader and the Emperor. Only Yoda and Ben survived (unless you read EU, then they all survived:stupid: ) with Luke and Leia being the only potential force users.

About the midichlorians, I don't think Yoda puts too much stock into the whole midichlorian idea. In fact, it seemed that only Qui-Gonn in TPM really put all of his faith in them.

Chewtobacco
10-04-2002, 10:12 PM
A question for those of you that have read the post-ROTJ EU novels.... (I've only read Vector Prime)

Does Leia ever get any formal training in the force by Luke or premonitions of Yoda, Anakin & Obi Wan? I know she becomes a well-known and respected diplomat, but does she ever use the force?

The Overlord Returns
10-05-2002, 06:52 PM
Leia becomes a full fldged Jedi Knight, as do some of her and Hans kids, I believe.

JON9000
10-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

The reason that the Emperor knew that any of Vader's offspring would be a possible threat to him, was because they could possibly touch that part of Anakin that was buried deep down inside him and bring it back to the surface. Atleast that is what I am getting from that conversation. :)

What do you think of the possibility that somehow Vader and the Emperor have some sort of mutualistic relationship where they are able to keep each other alive through their mastery of the Force? I was kind of tipped off when Anakin told Padme he would become powerful enough to learn how to keep people from dying. It would also explain why Vader must obey his master.

I am not so sure that simply reaching out with the force will help you detect potentials. Qui-Gonn wasn't tipped off until Anakin told him about his racing abilities, and Vader was interrogating Leah and didn't pick up on her potential. I'll bet potentials are simply identified through some program like an standard test given to all kids at a particular age.

Since Yoda and Obi-Wan lacked the resources to test trillions of beings in order to find a relative handful of Jedi candidates, and the Emperor probably outlawed the practice, Luke and Leah probably were about the only thing realistically going.

I know its a stretch, but...

mini-rock
10-09-2002, 11:04 PM
I'll bet that in the Republic not every potential force user could be tested. There could've possibly been millions of potentials out there. Good theory JON9000. :)

Darkross
10-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by JON9000


What do you think of the possibility that somehow Vader and the Emperor have some sort of mutualistic relationship where they are able to keep each other alive through their mastery of the Force? I was kind of tipped off when Anakin told Padme he would become powerful enough to learn how to keep people from dying. It would also explain why Vader must obey his master.



Interesting point about Vader and the Emperor. I never interpreted it that way before...but perhaps it could explain why with the Sith...there is no death...there is Immortality...which would explain with mastery of the Force...that a Sith / Jedi could become immortal. Luke also refers to this in ROTJ..."Master Yoda... you can't die...!" Yoda replies..."strong am I with the force...but not that strong!"

mini-rock
10-11-2002, 01:33 AM
The more think about it the more I like it.

I always thought Vader died due to Palps sith lightning, butnow with JON9000's theory, having Pals & Vader connected that way would also explain why Vader died.

AND Vader also asked Luke to join him to overthrow the Emperor, and TOGETHER they could rule the Galaxy as father & son. Hmmmmmm.

Pendo
10-11-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by JON9000
I am not so sure that simply reaching out with the force will help you detect potentials. Qui-Gonn wasn't tipped off until Anakin told him about his racing abilities, and Vader was interrogating Leah and didn't pick up on her potential. I'll bet potentials are simply identified through some program like an standard test given to all kids at a particular age.

I think reaching out with the force DOES help you to find potentials, but just have to be looking for it. I don't think you can walk past someone and instantly know if they're a potential or not, but if you concentrate and want to look inside them to see if they are a potential then it can be done. The reason why Vader doesn't sense the force around Leia is because he wasn't looking for it. The same for Qui-Gon and Anakin. Qui-Gon wasn't searching Anakin for force abilities until Anakin told the podrace story, he then thought it was a possibility and felt the force around him.
Vader's quote during the Battle of Yavin - "The force is strong in this one." I don't think Vader has force sensing technology on his Advanced x1 :).

I think it is still possible for them to be identified through a program, such as the midi-chlorian counter Obi-Wan uses in TPM.


Originally posted by JON9000
What do you think of the possibility that somehow Vader and the Emperor have some sort of mutualistic relationship where they are able to keep each other alive through their mastery of the Force? I was kind of tipped off when Anakin told Padme he would become powerful enough to learn how to keep people from dying. It would also explain why Vader must obey his master.


That is an interesting theory, but I doubt he would be asking Luke to destroy the Emperor with him. But that could easily have just been a lie to get Luke to join them :).

PENDO!

JON9000
10-13-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Pendo


I think reaching out with the force DOES help you to find potentials, but just have to be looking for it. I don't think you can walk past someone and instantly know if they're a potential or not, but if you concentrate and want to look inside them to see if they are a potential then it can be done. Vader's quote during the Battle of Yavin - "The force is strong in this one." I don't think Vader has force sensing technology on his Advanced x1 :).

PENDO!

This is probably closest to what really happens. Something tips you off, then you can use the force to get a sense of potentiality. It fits all the circumstances where it was done. Vader is impressed with Luke in the X-Wing, reaches out; Qui-Gonn hears about podraces, reaches out; ad nauseam. Good thinking.