PDA

View Full Version : Better Lightsabers

Obi-Don
10-28-2001, 06:53 AM
I have been doing my own lightsabers using rods I got from Plastruct co. I use handles from extra lightsabers and some of my own making and with the glass paint they come out pretty cool. they are not the same size as the ones you get with the figures but to me look better. I don't know if it is because I make them or what,but the lenght and the colors are better and I like the dia. of them better. Do any of you out there make your own sabers? and if you do. Do you find that the ones you make look better than the ones you buy?

ACPin
10-28-2001, 08:24 PM
I have seen the Plastruct rods that you mentioned and IMO they have better color than the ones used for the light sabers. I intended to buy some to replace the saber part and use the handle of the existing ones.

evenflow
10-29-2001, 08:49 AM
I have been trying to make lightsabers for so long now without any luck that i have given up. Some use liquid acrylic w/ dye.

Obi-Don
10-29-2001, 09:19 AM
Evenflow, I use the glass paint you find in the craft section at wal-mart.I place the rod in anything that will hold it up like the stuff the you would use for plastic plants.Then I use a soft brush and let the paint drip on the end of the rod[you might want to take some fine grit sandpaper and round the end for the point] and with every drop of paint I just [lightly brush].It is important to not use to much as it will cause the paint to glob.If you want a darker color wait till it dries and repeat the steps.The good thing about getting your rods from Plastruct.Is you have to buy at least 10.00 wroth,which will give you 80,8 1/2 rods Iknow it is alot but you will be thankful for the pratice.The Dia. I use is 1/16 in. rod. Back to painting the best way as I said drip the paint down on it and let it run and lightly brush.I have also found that a plastic tube such as something like a test tube works great also. Just put the paint in the tube and hold the tube on its side and roll the rod round in it and place it up to dry. If if you really want to give it a try you won't be sorry. It took me more than a few trys to get and I don't always get it right,but it is worth it because they do look good. If I can get some of them to scan,I'll try to post some for you to look at if your interested.

evenflow
10-29-2001, 10:50 AM
Sure I am interested. Where can i get them.

Obi-Don
10-30-2001, 10:07 AM
I'll try to get them sacnned in and see if I can post them here.I'm not a computer wiz so give me a little time.

evenflow
10-30-2001, 04:45 PM
Not a problem, i am not computer wizard either.

Obi-Don
10-31-2001, 08:37 AM
Evevflow here is a scan of some of my lightsabers. I hope this comes out right.

Obi-Don
10-31-2001, 08:48 AM
Trying again.

Obi-Don
10-31-2001, 09:03 AM
I'm not having to much luke with this,can't seem to get the attachment to take.

Obi-Don
11-01-2001, 09:29 AM
One more time.

Obi-Don
11-01-2001, 10:28 AM
I'm sorry Evenflow,but I can't seem to get the file to attach. I was tring to attach it from My Documents folder thats where I have the jpg file stored but it will not work.Sorry:(

evenflow
11-01-2001, 09:49 PM
Its cool. Hey at least you tried, I appreciate the help. :)

ACPin
11-05-2001, 09:05 AM
Obi-Don

Check this forum with an attachment that I've just posted.

CTC Stormies (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&threadid=1545)

You should have been able to attach your file just as I did since I only had to click on the Browse button and pointed it to the correct file. Just make sure that the file name shows in the box before you click on the Submit Reply. Also don't do a Preview Reply as it will wipe out the file name from the box. If you're still having a problem attaching it, just email me the file and I'll attach it for you.