PDA

View Full Version : Supes, Bats, Palps.....???

derek
10-05-2002, 08:12 PM
i thought "Supes" and "Bats" in reference to superman and batman was bad enough, but now on another forum, i've seen palpatine referred to as "Palps".

what is the origin of the shortened nick names? is this some kind of comic book lingo/shorthand or something? am i the only one who finds this really annoying?;) just wondering.:)

the term "Supes" or "Bats" seems like some really lame marketing attempt to make superman/batman relevant to generation "Y" or whichever letter we're on now.:)

what's next, "Spides"???:confused:

LTBasker
10-05-2002, 08:57 PM
Actually Supes and Bats are spoken in the franchises in the series and comics and even in the movies (kinda). They're mostly said by mobsters and people trying to act cool and all by shortening a name.

"Palps" is just there cause sometimes you just don't want to spell the full Palpatine name.

Actually I think they call Spider-Man "Spidey." ;)

derek
10-05-2002, 09:26 PM
i figured it was a "comic book" thing.:) but wasn't sure since i don't read them, but i do recall one of the bums in the 1989 batman referring to batman as "the bat".:)

still, it sounds goofy to me.:crazed: if i was superman, i sure wouldn't want to be called "supes". sounds like he manages an apartment complex or something. :) "hey mom, the shower isn't working, call the supes.":crazed:

Beast
10-05-2002, 09:44 PM
I thought the commen shortning of Palpatine was Palpy. I know that that has even appeared in fan made spoofs of E1. There was even one with the E1 Palpatine figure flying around like a superhero named "Super Palpy". :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
10-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Palpy I got from the guy's over at the HTF. I don't remember who first used it, but like LTBasker said somtimes it's just easier than typing out Palpatine.

Also when Spiderman thinks something wrong, and his sense warns him, doesn't he call it his Spidey sense?:)

jjreason
10-05-2002, 11:51 PM
Shortening of someone's name and/or adding the "ee" sound at the end is indicative of familiarity with that person. Let's have a look:
James = Jimmy. Steven = Stevey. Geofferey = Jeffy. Michael = Mikey. Palpatine = Palpy. Simple. Obviously those folks using "Supes", "Bats" and "Palps" feel comfortable enough around those entities to colloquialize their monikers, possibly indicating some affection for them. Goodness gracious, Im a nerd.

derek
10-06-2002, 12:39 AM
Goodness gracious, Im a nerd

hey man, we all are.;) no matter how cool any of us think we are, anyone who spends time at a site discussing star wars toys......you get the picture.:)

mini-rock
10-06-2002, 02:15 AM
I'm too old to care what cool is.

Yes, I'm a Star Wars geek. Yes, I'm okay with that.:)

Pendo
10-06-2002, 06:44 AM
I'm with you derek, I can't stand it when people have a shortened nick name.
Oh wait...:rolleyes:...

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with having a nick name...:D

PENDLETON!:crazed:

Jargo
10-06-2002, 09:35 AM
It's no worse surely than using acronyms for movie titles TPM, AOTC, ANH, ESB, ROJ. Could be worse, he could have been shortened to empy. ugh!

darthvyn
10-06-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by derek
i figured it was a "comic book" thing.:) but wasn't sure since i don't read them, but i do recall one of the bums in the 1989 batman referring to batman as "the bat".:)

yeah, 'cause you only find nicknames in comic books... :rolleyes:

jjreason
10-06-2002, 12:08 PM
Did you guys know that the word "nickname" stems from those names "nicking" (or cutting) the person upon whom they're bestowed? The best nicknames give ther person a little twinge when they here them - and hence stick because the apparent discomfort is loved by the friends. Perfect examples: I work with a skinny girl - NN="Bones". Another friend of mine is "Stitch", who's a doctor now. He got his nickname from an impaired wipeout down the stairs in first year of University - he demanded we take him to the doctor for the cut below his eye and he got ONE STITCH! We were nearly peeing in our pants.....

darthvyn
10-06-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
Another friend of mine is "Stitch", who's a doctor now. He got his nickname from an impaired wipeout down the stairs in first year of University - he demanded we take him to the doctor for the cut below his eye and he got ONE STITCH! We were nearly peeing in our pants.....

THAT's funny!

i personally hate full names. i almost always abreviate names. i can't stand calling someone all those sylables, when they know i'm talking to them utilizing a shorter moniker. i think i'm gonna change my name to "!" - i've alwasy wanted to know what it was like to be someone with punctuational nomeclature...

gibbspaulus
10-07-2002, 04:40 AM
Whilst I| love giving folk nick-names, I usually end up making the new name longer.....

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-07-2002, 09:28 AM
hot monkey, i don't think i've ever seen so many smileys in one post!!! My eyes now officially hurt. Actually, didn't the Joker sometimes refer to batman as "bats" or "Batsy?" I think he did, as for supes, that's crizap!!! and Palps, i usually go with "Palpy" but hey, to each their own.

The Overlord Returns
10-07-2002, 10:00 AM
I've used Palps a few times...........

and, FYI...the correct term for folk like us is "Geek"...not "nerd".

mini-rock
10-07-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
and, FYI...the correct term for folk like us is "Geek"...not "nerd".

Yes, 100% STAR WARS GEEK!!:p:p:p

Beast
10-07-2002, 09:43 PM
I thought the correct term for people like us was, Starwoid. ;) :D

Starwoid: One having excessive zeal for and irrational attachment to a cause or position of the Star Wars trilogy and its components.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-07-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by derek

hey man, we all are.;) no matter how cool any of us think we are, anyone who spends time at a site discussing star wars toys......you get the picture.:)

:sur:

Oh, how I have wasted my life. :cry:

The Overlord Returns
10-08-2002, 08:59 AM
Actually....over at the DC message boards we've determined that SW fans overall are the best sort of fanboys......not nearly as ridiculous as the other big three...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-08-2002, 07:39 PM
Let's make up nicknames for SW characters! :D
*"The Nasser"
*"Vades"
*"The Skywalkster"
*"Lando Mega"
*"Mr. Oh-no-I've-been-lobotomized"
*Artooey-Kablooey :D

mini-rock
10-08-2002, 07:45 PM
My step dad calls Luke Skywalker Puke Skylicker.:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-08-2002, 07:52 PM
My friend's dad calls Jabba "Jabba the butt" or "Slobba" or something like that. ;)

mini-rock
10-08-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
My friend's dad calls Jabba "Jabba the butt" or "Slobba" or something like that. ;)

:p

Here's a few more he would say:

Han Solo - Ham Sandwich
Princess Leia - Princess Layher
Stormtroopers - Stormpoopers
Yoda - Grover

When I was little it used to tick me off, but yeah now it's kinda funny.:D

Pendo
10-11-2002, 10:38 AM
I can think of a few cool nicknames for some of the characters :):

Jabba the slut,
Obi-Wa---er.... erm, never mind :rolleyes: