PDA

View Full Version : Collector's Database Suggestions

SirSteve
10-05-2002, 11:06 PM
We need your comments. We are making some changes to the Collector's Database and need to know if it currently makes sense to you the way we have it.

Right now we have an item name. ie, Aurra Sing. Would you like to have it listed like (Have / Want are checkbox options):

Aurra Sing
- Original Release (item that is currently available) Have / Want
- Variation 1 Have / Want
- Variation 2 Have / Want

or

Aurra Sing Have / Want
- Variation 1 Have / Want
- Variation 2 Have / Want

With the second one, we move all the info from "Original Release (or whatever we end up calling it) into the description.

jjreason
10-05-2002, 11:10 PM
I'd vote for the first option - my PC is slow, and having to click an link to check the description and make sure Im checking the right box would slow me down. Thanks for asking.

SirSteve
10-07-2002, 04:35 PM
Thanks. We really need a lot more input on this. Let me know what YOU think!

Rogue II
10-07-2002, 04:51 PM
Just to be clear, the first choice is how the Collector's Database is currently set up. And for the second option, you would have to click on the figure's name, then select the have/want boxes.

If that's the case, I'd prefer to stick with the first option.

JediTricks
10-07-2002, 10:29 PM
I think the 2nd option is saying the Have/Want boxes (currently on "Aurra Sing" stand for "Original Release" - option 1) next to the name "Aurra Sing" would replace the Have/Want boxes that are currently known as "Original Release" - that would be a simplification of the current system IMO but might lead to confusion.

mini-rock
10-08-2002, 02:27 AM
I'm not for or against either. All I want is to be able to register. For some reason I'm having trouble getting that to work.

SirSteve
10-17-2002, 01:30 PM
More input please... are you guys not using our system??

Rogue II
10-17-2002, 02:26 PM
Maybe you should put this in a poll. This section doesn't seem to get much traffic.

hango fett
10-18-2002, 08:55 PM
i just use the database to look at the new figures if i don't find them on here first, thats about al i use it for so it can swing either way for me.
h

stillakid
10-18-2002, 09:11 PM
I put a suggestion in another post a couple days ago. I suppose you didn't see it. :)

I've just finished my upgrade to WinXP. While it fixed a host of other problems, the Print View is still all askew (on my machine.)

However, after a bit of poking around, I finally figured out how to edit the quantities of figures in my Have and Want lists. Perhaps there's another way to do it that isn't showing up on my machine, but if I go to MY ACCOUNT/MY HAVE LIST then click on one of the LIST ID numbers in the far left column, it takes me to a page where quantities can be adjusted and notes can be made.

If someone at SSG knew this, why couldn't it have been clearly explained before?

Can the program be adjusted so that, for example, when we go to COLLECTORS DATABASE/BROWSE/2002-NOW STAR TOURS/ACTION FIGURES-BASIC/WEG-1618 the quantiy adjustment box can be placed on that page instead? That's where we go to click the HAVE or WANT button anyway. It would save having to go there to click a selection, then navigate to the screen with the LIST ID numbers and then do the meticulous search through that listing as it's not in any particular order, alphabetical or otherwise.

Just a thought. Thanks!

And I'm still not clear on why there are things listed with an Original Release and a Variation before it even comes out. Could you elaborate on that please? Thanks!

SirSteve
10-19-2002, 11:28 AM
There is never a variation before it comes out listed. As for the original release, that's a title we have struggled with. I can't think of anything better but as I said above, this new format will do away with "Original Release" titles and the data will be merged with the item description.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-19-2002, 12:14 PM
I tried using it once and checking all the vintage figs I had and then when I went to look at my list, it had all these weird variations that made absolutely no sense to me that I did not choose...my suggestion is use which ever system (option 1 or 2 ) is the easiest to use and the very least confusing....If I click on a fig I have, I don't want it coming up as a variation that I did not choose....that is why I don't use it anymore...I mean no disrespect, I think it's aweful nice of you guys to even have it, but if you want us to use it, it should be simple and fun! That's my two cents...do with it as you will :)

stillakid
10-21-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by SirSteve
There is never a variation before it comes out listed. As for the original release, that's a title we have struggled with. I can't think of anything better but as I said above, this new format will do away with "Original Release" titles and the data will be merged with the item description.

For instance, I just went to Star Tours Action Figures/SK-Z38. Under "Collect" there are two places to check HAVE/WANT. Two separate ID numbers. What are those ID numbers and which one should I click once I get the figure?

I may have been confusing "Versions Found" with "Variations" in my head but I'm almost certain that I've seen that in the past. In any case, it's not there now, but there are still extra boxes with different ID #'s that I don't know the meaning of. Could you elaborate? Thanks!

Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
I tried using it once and checking all the vintage figs I had and then when I went to look at my list, it had all these weird variations that made absolutely no sense to me that I did not choose...my suggestion is use which ever system (option 1 or 2 ) is the easiest to use and the very least confusing....If I click on a fig I have, I don't want it coming up as a variation that I did not choose....that is why I don't use it anymore...I mean no disrespect, I think it's aweful nice of you guys to even have it, but if you want us to use it, it should be simple and fun! That's my two cents...do with it as you will :)

I've had the same experience. I can see the value for some people to track precisely what version of a figure/card they have, but for a loose collector like me that could care less about variations, looking at a page like Artoo-Detoo in the Vintage 1980 list is mind boggling. There are 18 versions of the guy. I clicked on the very top one with ID M492 but again, I have no clue what that ID is supposed to suggest, if it's meant to be the "loose" designation or what.

I'd be curious to know how many people here are really using the Database and how many use the extreme detailed variation options to track their collection. I love having this available, but I need a little guidance on how to get around and what some of this stuff means.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-21-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by stillakid

looking at a page like Artoo-Detoo in the Vintage 1980 list is mind boggling. There are 18 versions of the guy. I clicked on the very top one with ID M492 but again, I have no clue what that ID is supposed to suggest, if it's meant to be the "loose" designation or what.

That's exactly what happened to me! What DO those numbers mean? Those numbers are the entire reason I stopped trying to use it because there is no explanation as to what they are and no distinction between variations fo the same figs?

Originally posted by stillakid
I'd be curious to know how many people here are really using the Database and how many use the extreme detailed variation options to track their collection. I love having this available, but I need a little guidance on how to get around and what some of this stuff means.

I agree! Maybe you could do a poll Sir Steve??? :)

stillakid
10-22-2002, 11:20 AM
If I could request any one change, it would be to the "MY HAVE LIST." As of this moment, in my account it says "Found 730 Items."

As I mentioned before, I finally figured out that to edit quantities, I have to click on the List ID number on the left column to get to that screen. That's fine, but the list itself is massive and has no specific organization to it that I can tell. Vehicles are mixed with action figures and various other new and old accessories are tossed in here and there as well.

If I wanted to print out an inventory, it would take more time, but be far more useful to click on every category individually and print those pages out than to come to the "MY HAVE LIST" and do it. That is, after I wade through the List ID numbers to edit the quantities. :)

Thanks!

stillakid
10-22-2002, 11:23 AM
UPDATE! I think I just figured out that the MY HAVE LIST is in order of when I put the information into the system. The last 3 items that I inputted are the last three at the end of the list. Is this the case? It's all starting to make sense now...

stillakid
10-22-2002, 11:29 AM
I just figured out that the MY HAVE LIST seems to be in the order of when I inputted information into the system. If that's the case, I would have been far more careful to do things in order and keep categories together.

If I could change just one thing about the Database, it would be to provide a way to organize the MY HAVE LIST in some kind of useful way. As it stands, if I want to print out an inventory, it would take more time, but be far more useful to go to each category page and print those out. Printing out the MY HAVE LIST is indeed comprehensive, but fairly useless and cumbersome. The only value to it at the moment is that I have to go there to access the List ID #'s on the left column to get to the page where I can edit quantities.

Thanks!

Deoxyribonucleic
10-24-2002, 07:45 PM
Also, maybe you could get pictures updated since there aren't any for the vintage figs/access./vehicles/etc.

loose and carded/boxed would be cool!

Arrogant Arse
11-11-2002, 08:56 AM
I agree with stillakid, It would be useful if the Have list were organized by figure line, and with the name on the figure first, not the number.

Also, when you log in and select a Figure line, it may say "73 Items found," When you only have 50 of the things checked. Could the line be changed to say "73 Items in this series. You have 50 of them." -or something like that?

And finally, could the figure lists be cleaned up to include the correct names of figures, and no duplicate referneces? In the POTJ database, there is a listing for "ObiWan Kenobi (Battle Armor)" which was released as, and is the same as Obi Wan Kenobi (Jedi Training Gear).

Thanks