PDA

View Full Version : Tatooine speeders

Jargo
10-06-2002, 08:27 PM
Hello Hasbro, it's only me. :) Just popped in here again to ask if you'll consider some other small speeders since the current ones seem to have sold rather well.
With this next year and the following being non movie years I thought perhaps you could have a crack at fleshing out the tatooine environment with some speeders that don't belong to the heros. I've included some starter images here just in case you really don't have a clue haha :) about what it is I'm talking about.

Firstly there's the cantina speeders: The Mobquet A-1 deluxe floater, a hardy little number just ripe for a firing mechanism with those tubes along it's side, the funky color scheme and cockpit canopy make it visually quite an interesting little ergonomic number. There's also the vents on the nose of the craft that could if required double as projectile firing mechanisms.

Then we come to the Ubbrikkian 9000-Z001 globe like speeder right outside the cantina entrance. While not the best of speeders in terms of design it's compact enough to fit the deluxe line and with a small cantina patron as pilot it'd be perfect. No weapons but nice shape and a fair spot of movie time onscreen.

Next there's the Void Spider TX-3 which is the spider shaped speeder parked across the street from the cantina. It isn't pretty but it's a nice design because it's so different to conventional speeder design. It's a two seater and it has large engines out back. Those legs needn't be mobile just strong enough to support its weight. The canopy isn't the best looking but opening canopies are cool. What this lacks on the exterior could be made up for in the interior with sporty looking seats and funky controls. Since we never get to see the interior you could go to town on this interior.

Next up is my personal favourite the V-35 speeder. I'd have a hard choice picking which color scheme to do this in - yellow and white as seen rolling past the cantina or black and white as seen in the Lars' garage. You've made a mini one already for the action fleet line so it can't be that hard to sculpt, give this the same floating base Luke's speeder has and make the canopy opaque plastic so it's nice and dark. It would hjust be the coolest addition to get the other main Tatooine speeder we see.

Then there's the swoop used by the guy who spooks the Ronto as he rides by in the special edition version of ANH. This is a bright looking speeder and the design s well funky. The previous swoop from the shadows of the empire line was too clunky and not very detailed. You could do so much with this swoop bike, it's like the Harley D of the star wars galaxy. :) Pack it with that coneheaded rider and this would definately sell in bucketloads.

Finally and not illustrated because I guess you already have the pics floating round, is the rickshaw speeder from AOTC. This again could easily fit the deluxe line. The droid is the selling point as a cool figure but the rickshaw itself isn't that big. The seting part is the crux with clear plastic wheels for simulated floating action and the canopy as a seperate piece that clicks into place plus the long poles either side used to pull the speeder. This thing could be self assembly required and pack fairly flat in a blister. On it's own it's highly unimpressive but with the droid it becomes really unique and sort of curious as a star wars vehicle but also kinda cute and cool. Give the droid a turning head, shoulder articulation and a functioning wheel and this will go like hot cakes from the pegs. Apart from the current C-3PO's and the battle droids the droids have been selling exeptionally well as usual.

This is just food for thought. I'd love to see all of these made. Not everyone will agree as usual and as I would expect, but I wanted to ask if you'll at least consider some of them. They are all fairly small which means most can be packaged like the Coruscant speeders. Vehicles always sell well. So how about some new stuff besides the AOTC Geonosis stuff. Satisfy the Original trilogy fans too.

Lots of love,

Jargo. :stupid:

*apologies for the apalling quality of the pics, if the system allowed for larger files it would have looked nicer, I just didn't want to clutter up a thread with millions of pictures and not much else besides.*

Jayspawn
10-07-2002, 12:33 AM
If they came with background Tatooine characters I'd buy them. If not, then no.

Darth Scooby
10-13-2002, 04:34 PM
Speeders would be good. You're right about the oportunities with non-movie years, if Hasbro wants to make even more money they would make the Cantina too and maybe some other buildings or even a Landing bay (for Han's MF).

I could go on but some speeder would be a good start.

Rogue II
10-13-2002, 07:03 PM
I was wondering what some of those things were called. In fact, I was watching ANH the other day and noticed the Ubbrikkian 9000-Z001 sitting outside of the Cantina Entrance. I had no idea what it was, but I thought it would make a cool toy.

Battle Droid
10-15-2002, 08:50 PM
Not a Tatooine Speeder but how about a Gian Speeder?

Jargo
10-16-2002, 02:48 PM
ahhhhh, that's for another thread. :)

why not make this an all purpose speeder thread to save space?

Gian speeder w/ closing canopy

Battle droid rack transport barge w/ droid rack

Coruscant air taxi used by our heros at the landing platform

Coruscant air taxi seen wizzing past the jedi temple with two outboard engines and no undercarriage

Red hotrod airspeeder in senate parking lot (looks like Zam's speeder)

khaki colored airspeeder in senate parking lot

Naboo port taxi (used by Anakin and Padme

Naboo gondola water speeder

I'll rustle up pictures later....

Jargo
11-23-2002, 03:10 PM
Wow, i watched AOTC the other night and was just blown away by how many different speeders there are in there. The Coruscant chase scene offers some interesting possibilities for non movie year vehicles. I already mentioned the senate parking lot speeders but then there's the two speeder that Obi-Wan nearly smashes into. The first i think is a regular air taxi with some kind of tail fins or thrusters added on, it has the dug and Ratts tyerell characters sitting in there. Then there's the other small speeder with that new alien. That speeder has a round bubble canopy and seems to be yellow. There's all those speeders in the tunnel that Zam speeds past, The million and one that Anakin falls past while skydiving. So many speeders in the space of a couple of minutes that I just can't even begin to list them all. But all of them are very very cool. These larger fighter sized ships are starting to get too expensive so i reckon the smaller speeders are more in the price range of most collectors.
But above all else I have to say that I'm really really surprised that after releasing the V-35 landspeeder in action fleet scale there isn't a 3 scale version. It's shown so clearly in AOTC as Anakin and Padme arrive on Tatooine. It's shown clearly in ANH twice. It's a really cool speeder and if there was just one speeder made next year it should be that. Either the black and maroon version or the yellow and white version or the blue and white version from AOTC. It's got massive thrusters out back, it's got a cool shape, it has a tinted opening cockpit canopy. It should seat three at least with space for storage somewhere in the rear. If you're doing a Lars homestead screen scene next year why not give the Lars' a vehicle? I know it depends on which figures go into the screen scene but Owen and Beru had to buy the V-35 sometime and there's nothing to say that it wouldn't be in the timeline of the prequels. Or if the figures are Classic trilogy then it's perfect to give the Lars' their speeder. That small skyhopper speeder from the garage in AOTC is also a good candidate. A totally new design reminisent of the classi skyhopper. Small enough to go at a good price but not be too expensive either. See the vehicle list for next year so far isn't terribly exciting. There's this listing for the geonosian fighter and the hailfire droid but they really aren't that funky. Sure they fill a scene that is already overcrowded. But where's the cool stuff for next year? Tie fighter and tie bomber? YEESH! speeders is where it's at I'm telling you.
And what's with so many damn exclusives? Foul play. Not fair to collectors globally is it?

Jargo
11-29-2002, 08:28 PM
I finally found a decent pic of the red speeder from the senate parking lot. It's similar to Zam's speeder in style but different enough to be even cooler, more sporty. I reckon this would sell where Zam's speeder failed. Zam's speeder in theory would have worked had the cockpit opened the way it does in the movie and had the rubber on the front been painted with a paint that doesn't stay wet and attract all the lint the world has to offer. The red speeder just oozes sex appeal, it's like the speeder you would drool over if such speeders really existed. The sleek lines and that cool tinted cockpit make it the speeder of all speeders. There has to be some character that could go with this speeder, maybe one of the new senators or even a corrupt nightclub patron who might just have been visiting the private quarters of a senator at the exact same convenient moment.... tacky but then so is all the EU. This speeder is too good to go unmade don't you think?

Jargo
11-29-2002, 08:37 PM
This is the other speeder from the parking lot which is quite cute and funky. I'm not sure the color is right but then this pic which bears the name of the original source was put together before the film was even in postproduction. It's uncannily accurate to the final design of the speeder which I think is shown in yellow as Obi-Wan is zipping around hanging onto the assasin droid, he whips over the top of a one man speeder piloted by a new alien with jug ears.
Anyway, this is the speeder which is far better in design than that clunky thing Anakin stole and Zam's speeder. I mean, for a bounty hunter trying to shake off her pursuers she doesn't half drive a garish brightly colored speeder, hardly incognito is it. Anyway, here's the pic.

Eternal Padawan
12-02-2002, 01:47 PM
All those cool speeders to choose from in the parking lot, and Anakin "borrowed" the ugly pee-yellow one. :rolleyes:

And though not technically a speeder, I'd like a Yavin troop transport. Maybe with an Alliance technician figure.

Darth Scooby
12-02-2002, 02:34 PM
Wow Emperor Jargo, they are very good! Give Mr Lucas a call I hear he is making a film next year that you may have heard of with a III in the title - with work like that, he should hire you!!

Jargo
12-02-2002, 05:25 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: Did I give the impression they were my work or something? Or is that sarcasm. I'm too tired to try to figure it out. Not mine but LFL work. I just cut and paste the greatness. for illustration and clarification purposes only.

EP I'm right with you on that Yavin hangar troop transport. Also the Echo base and Home one hangar one that holds several people standing.

Jargo
12-04-2002, 01:04 PM
And then there's thisa curious thing, I call it an artillery speeder since it has no other name as far as I know. It's just a cruddy boat shape with a big gun but it was used in the hangar of Echo base and out on the snowy plains. I took the time to cobble together a few pics. I was thinking maybe in the deluxe line with a rebel soldier or something.

Jargo
12-04-2002, 01:19 PM
Then there's the Coruscant taxis. Sure they aren't exciting but they are interesting designs, The first is the oval shaped one used by our heros and seen everywhere on Coruscant, the second while only seen fleetingly is more interesting visually for the outboard jets powering it along, the sleeker finish. Both are just nice designs with clean lines. I for one would buy a couple of each just to hang from my ceiling with a couple of figures in that were just chillin' out enjoying the ride.

Jargo
12-04-2002, 01:26 PM
Not forgetting the Gian speeder. This should come with a hologram representation of theed palace. It's a beautiful sleek design with subtle weaponry on the sides unlike the ugly flash speeder with that crude cannon on the top. This speeder has a nice canopy, it has cleaner looking jet propulsion it's long overdue for production. The reason the flash speeder didn't sell is because for one it was a crappy color and secondly it had a naff 1950's B-movie feel. Not the good kind of B-movie the bad kind that really is too bad to bear. It wasn't even kitsch it was just bad. If you'd made the Gian speeder instead it would've sold out. It's a cool speeder with modern lines that suit modern tastes, it's a more masculine shape and it's a nice neutral color in metallic gray.

For the romantic girls there's the barbie-esque gondola speeder. nifty little runabout thing with not much use if you don't make a Padme lake retreat figure but there ya go, just presenting options here.

Jargo
12-04-2002, 01:32 PM
And finally, speaking of flash speeders, this is what you should have done instead if you wanted to make the flash speeder. This alternative is seen several times in Mos Espa. The rear gun is still present but the rectangularoutboard thrusters on fins have been exchanged for drum shaped ones close to the body which give a more snug compact feel, The coloring is vibrant and masculine and also hints at danger and excitement with all the dirt stains from recent skirmishes in the desert. Just what you need in a boys toy right? Thrills not dull torquoise girly looking vehicles. This look for the flash speeder really makes it look flash. I'd definately buy this without thinkling about it twice.

Dar Basra
12-04-2002, 01:39 PM
The red speeder just oozes sex appeal ... There has to be some character that could go with this speeder, maybe one of the new senators or even a corrupt nightclub patron who might just have been visiting the private quarters of a senator ... I don't know ... I sort of picture Darth Sidious jumping into that thing, leaving the hatch open, then throwing his hood back as he cruised along, singing "I love L.A."

Darth Scooby
12-04-2002, 02:11 PM
:eek: Sorry Emperor Jargo, I thought the speeders were your work. No sarcasm intended. I too would love to see anything new from the original trilogy line especially speeders. I hope our wishes come true. :)