PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the Superbit DVD's?

mini-rock
10-07-2002, 02:29 AM
I bought the Superbit DVD's in the beggining just for the added DTS track, but recently I decided to do some side by side comparisons with the original releases and the new one.

I viewed The Fifth Element, Desperado, A Knights Tale, Hollow Man, and The Patriot since all these have been released in SB and non-SB. On my 65" set I could see an obvious difference. All the SB versions made it seem like I was looking through a window, like I could put my hand right through the screen. Not that the originals looked horrible or anything, but the SB just looked so much better. And the fact that these come with a DTS track, I hope Columbia will start releasing them along with the non SB. Or just make 'em all SB Deluxe.
So what do you guy's think of the SB's?

Here's what I used:

Mitsubishi WS-65907 RPTV
2 Toshiba SD-9200 Progressive Scan DVD Players (I borrowed one of the players from work)
Monstercable M-1000 Component Video Cable (4 meters & 2 pairs)
AudioQuest YIQ4 Component Video Cable (4 meters/ 2 pair)

All component cables were running straight to the component inputs on the back of the RPTV.

Exhaust Port
10-07-2002, 12:48 PM
Very interesting. I was thinking about getting The 5th Element but couldn't justify buying it again, maybe this will do it.

I've just started hearing about these progressive scan DVD players (I know I'm slow). Could someone give me a rundown of what they are and do? I too have a 65" RPTV and would love to take full advantage of it.

mini-rock
10-07-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Very interesting. I was thinking about getting The 5th Element but couldn't justify buying it again, maybe this will do it.

I've just started hearing about these progressive scan DVD players (I know I'm slow). Could someone give me a rundown of what they are and do? I too have a 65" RPTV and would love to take full advantage of it.

There is an article over at hometheaterhifi.com (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html) that explains what progressive scan is. Hope this helps. :)

Exhaust Port
10-07-2002, 05:07 PM
Thanks mini-rock, it looks like I'll be waiting to purchase a progressive DVD player. Interesting read.

mini-rock
10-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Glad it helped. I had to read it a few times to totally understand it myself. FYI, I've seen some some progressive dvd players for as low as $130.00 at BB. On a 65" screen you will notice a huge difference.

Have you had the ISF Calibration done to your RPTV?

Exhaust Port
10-07-2002, 08:00 PM
ISF Calibration? I haven't heard of this.

mini-rock
10-07-2002, 10:47 PM
Typically sets run a bit hot and on the blue side after they leave the factory. What an ISF tech does is goes in and calibrates your set internally after about 100 hours of use has been put into it. It's a little exspensive, but IMO totally worth it if you want to get the most out of your RPTV. I'll PM you some info I have. :)

Also I just heard a Superbit version of Resident Evil will be released on 12/17. I bought the first version, but will get the SB for the added DTS track. :)

Exhaust Port
10-07-2002, 10:58 PM
That's something I'll have to keep in mind for the future. Someday I'll have an appropriate viewing area for a RPTV and I'll invest a bit more in it. Until then I'm stuck sitting about 7' from mine on a couch. :) After a few days of watching the screen so close the headaches stopped.