PDA

View Full Version : Geonosis Battle Arena - Oh, I got one :)

JangoFart
10-07-2002, 12:17 PM
I was on my merry way back to OK from MS late last night and stopped at the ka-zillionth Wal-Mart along the way expecting to find the exact same nuttin' I found at all the others.

Much to my pleasant surprise, there were two Geonosis Battle Arena's on the shelf! I inspected them both and bought the best one. (Of course, there were no signs of any figures newer than Mace Windu with "Stinging Dump" facial expression.)

I don't open my stuff, so as far as I know there's 8 lbs of rocks and dirt in the box. But, I'm stoked because the box looks great and will display very well. (If I can find a bleepity-bleepin' spot in my office)

J

Jargo
10-07-2002, 01:51 PM
Well thanks for that useful and glowing report. :rolleyes:

JangoFart
10-07-2002, 01:57 PM
LOL!!!

That is awesome!!

Perhaps one day, if I keep pluggin' away at my Weekly World News issues and eating paint chips, my posts will be able to attain the cultural, sociological, and, dare I say, psychological impact that do yours, Jargo.

But, alas, I continue to dream......

J

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-07-2002, 02:09 PM
ahhhhh!!! you lucky %#@%@!!!! i'm jealous!!!! i'm score mine when i'm home for winter break. Congrats though!!!

Is your quote from "Men at work" by any chance? it sounds very familiar!

JangoFart
10-07-2002, 02:20 PM
Not "Men at Work", but good guess.

This movie had skiing in it and the dude who played "Booger" from Revenge of the Nerds is in it.

J

Prince Xizor
10-07-2002, 02:55 PM
I could never understand why people don't open at least the non-window box vehicles and playsets. It would drive me crazy.

Oh Well,

Congrats on your find Jango.

JangoFart
10-07-2002, 03:10 PM
Tempted? Of course I am. However, if I were to open this HUGE sucker, in the end I would have no place to display it and it would sit in a closet at my house. As it is, it is in a nice little display area with my other SW stuff.

So, with things of this size, I don't open for two reasons: I prefer my stuff unopened; and I would have no place to put this thing if it were opened.

I feel your pain, though :)

J

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Just like Xizor, I have no idea why you wouldn't open things, even if space was an issue!

JangoFart
10-07-2002, 05:34 PM
Ugh.....

The never-dying "Open or Not" debate....

I don't do it. If I do, I buy another to keep unopened. I prefer the way they display in their packaging. If anyone wants to open their stuff, knock yourselves out.

Short, sweet, to the point :)

J

JEDIpartner
10-08-2002, 10:29 PM
What is the point of having a big box? Open the stupid thing and give us a REAL review. I don't give a bloody toad's wart that you bought a very expensive box. You can keep those bits of news to yourself. Tell us about the toy once you've opened the box!!! :frus:

As far as I'm concerned... until you open the box... you don't have the Arena Playset. ;)

Darth Detori
10-08-2002, 10:34 PM
yeah, I agree with the openers.
I mean, I open AND I display the empty boxes- no-one can tell that it's empty and you've got the thing out to play with!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-08-2002, 10:47 PM
alright alright, we're going a little ape---- about the open vs. close debate. let it go.

JangoFart
10-08-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
What is the point of having a big box? Open the stupid thing and give us a REAL review. I don't give a bloody toad's wart that you bought a very expensive box. You can keep those bits of news to yourself. Tell us about the toy once you've opened the box!!! :frus:

As far as I'm concerned... until you open the box... you don't have the Arena Playset. ;)

That rant is beyond belief! I reckon, according to your logic, I don't have about 450 figures on the card either??! Damn, I was just starting to like my collection too.

Put down the crack pipe and get real.

J

JangoFart
10-08-2002, 10:55 PM
Here is, again, my stock reply to the "wisdom" passed on by JediPartner and his ilk:

>>
As some wise man or woman once said: "To each, his own." For you, collecting SW stuff may be some sort of re-living of your childhood in that you get to play with cool toys that you didn't have access to back then. Or, perhaps, it's just that playing with toys never stopped amazing you and, therefore, you still do it. Or, maybe you're a diorama builder and like the way they look all "action posed".

In all honesty, I do not understand any of those, save the latter. There are tons of figures/ships that I have opened for the sake of opening or for the sake of placing them in my office in an all "action posed" scene. And, that's cool.

However, I, personally, do not collect SW for any reason other than I am a fan of the movies, comics, and universe. I do not have to open anything; as evidenced by the over 400 unopened figures/ships that I have. Not a huge collection, but it's mine.

And, if I do open something, I buy another to keep unopened. I am happy just possessing the given figure/ship and surrounding myself with my goodies. I enjoy arranging my office space at home to suit my particular preference and style of collecting. As, I'm sure, is why you openers open yours.

I am happy with the Republic Gunship sitting in its box on a top shelf with Jango's Slave I on top of it and next to AT-T with Vader's TIE on top of it. (Just as I'm content with the TIE Bomber I just got yesterday being on the shelf underneath it with other vehicles next to it.)

I've previously posted pics of my little nerd area at home. I think it looks very cool and, and this is the kicker, it pleases me - regardless of what anyone else thinks.

We each collect for our own purposes. I admit that in '95, I opened everything and enjoyed laying my hands on the figures. There was just something about that "feeling". However, that "feeling" is gone for me as a collector and I'm content the way it is. Perhaps that will change; perhaps it won't. Perhaps some of you openers will find the day come to where you say to yourself: "Hmmmm. Those unopened 16 background figures would look sweet on a shelf together." Perhaps you won't. Enjoy your hobby and I'll enjoy mine.

I, for one, could care less as to if these things are worth millions or worthless in the future. After all, I collect for ME and the odds of me selling these things to, well, ME are rather slim.

J
>>

Fin

Old Fossil
10-08-2002, 10:57 PM
Well, at the least we know these things are being found at Wal-Mart (s). We can thank you for that much at least, JangoF.

aharry
10-09-2002, 12:43 AM
Your quote is from "Better Off Dead". It can also be found in another movie called "They Live" with Roddy Piper. Do I win my own arena playset now?

JangoFart
10-09-2002, 01:07 AM
Rock on, aharry!!

Man, you nailed it!

J

Amanamike
10-09-2002, 02:14 AM
Jangofart Im totally on your side with the open vs keep boxed debate. Reading your post reminds me of exactly what I have and am doing. I dont think there is a proper way to collect myself, its however you feel you want your stuff to look like.

And as for the Arena playset, good find wish I had one in a box that I could display on my shelf too. Good hunting!

JangoFart
10-09-2002, 02:27 AM
Thanks, Amanamike. It seems so foolish to me for some schmoe to tell me how I'm SUPPOSED to be a fan or supposed to collect. And the crack that I don't really have it was the best :)

J

JEDIpartner
10-09-2002, 09:53 AM
I'm not telling you anything... I was so excited to see that someone got the Arena and wanted to read everything about how cool it was. I climb onboard here only to find that you're beholding a sealed box. It was a bit disappointing. if you haven't noticed that there was a "sly" wink tagged to the end of my post indicating humour.

To post something like "..Oh, I got one" only to find you really have nothing to tell is a little saddening. I, and countless others no doubt, would have like to have read something like... "It was amazing! the pack-ins were outstanding. We were all wrong about the cardboard perimeter!" or "It's a total piece of garbage and I wish I hadn't spent my money on it because..."

I'm not telling you what to do with your toys... but the post is a little misleading.

Jargo
10-09-2002, 03:37 PM
I believe JF was only posting as some kind of oneupmanship, some testosterone fuelled egojerk 'look what I found before anybody else'. Frankly I agree with jedipartner, if you just found something use the right section for it - JUST FOUND. you only seem interested in crowing about your find so go crow somewhere else where it's applicable. Or e-mail sirsteve and let him put the big news about JangoFart's big find on the main page to let people know it's been found without starting a stupid thread for it. I really couldn't care less what you do with your collection quite frankly, shove it where the sun don't shine or in the closet or in the basement. Bottom line is that this thread wasn't warranted. hope it gets closed real soon.

JangoFart
10-09-2002, 04:17 PM
Wow, Jargo. That's deep.... May I quote it in future posts?

Perhaps this thread would have been better originating in the "Just Found" section. I'll go for that. I now realize I should have ran it past you for permission before engaging in such trivialities as posting in a forum. Thanks to your wisdom and guidance, it has evolved into oh so much more than a mere "Just Found" post. It evolved into a discussion regarding keeping things boxed or opening them. I thank you for taking up my failings and bringing this post to your level.

As an aside, I'll point out a similar recent thread that you were oh so eager to participate in:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14975

I do apologize that my post was not the sky falling, earth shattering King o' the FanBoy post that you seem to, at whim or will, whip out of your keyboard without the slightest effort. You are, truly, my mentor and hero. I'm sorry that I could not live up to your expectations. There's always tomorrow.....

J

Sinister Lord
10-09-2002, 05:00 PM
"As far as I'm concerned... until you open the box... you don't have the Arena Playset."

I agree with this sentiment... I see no reason to even buy a large expensive box just for decorative purposes. A playset like the arena is only worthwhile if it is opened and filled with action figures.

Heck I typically just throw away the packages from these toys... if you just want the box for "decorating", I would gladly send you mine after I have removed the toy from it.

Darth Sidious
10-09-2002, 05:21 PM
Congrats on your find, JF. I'm glad to hear that they are available.

About this debate, I am, have always been, and always will be an opener. (Well, my Orange carded Luke in Stormie disguise is carded, but for obvious reasons). I love seeing the ships and stuff (And firing the missiles, etc.), especially with something as cool as the Arena or the Gunship. But, whether or not you open them is absolutely your choice. You want to keep them carded? Fine by me. We are all collectors here, and we all love Star Wars. And I don't think it is anyone's place to tell someone else HOW to love Star Wars. If you like burning your figures, for example, then burn them! If this post offended anyone (Although I don't really see how it could) then that wasn't my intention. Everyone, do what makes YOU happy. :) ...Well...unless it is killing or something. :D

Umm...by the way...I don't recommend burning them either.

But, like I said, if thats what you want to do, by all means do it! :D

JangoFart
10-09-2002, 05:33 PM
Very well said, Darth Sidious.

J

Prince Xizor
10-09-2002, 06:12 PM
I can't see how people can argue that JangoFart was misleading in his post. The title specifically said "Genosis Battle Arena - Oh, I got one". I don't know about anybody else, but nowhere in that title does it say that he has opened it or played with it. For all we know, he could have, like Sidious mentioned, taken it home and burned it. There is no argument that he was misleading.

Oh and the video game is Duke Nukem, I have no idea of the movie. Maybe a Bruce Campbell flick.

JangoFart
10-09-2002, 06:21 PM
Yeah, Xizor, it's Duke.

The movie is "They Live" with Roddy Piper. Great flick :)

Now I have to wrack my little brain for another.

J

Turbowars
10-09-2002, 07:39 PM
I'm a carded collector and haven't opened much in the past, but I had to open the Gunship, it's just bad @ss. As for the playset, I wont be buying this thing. I think Hasbro does crappy sets. JangoFart can collect as he sees fit. It wasn't misleading either. RELAX

Sinister Lord
10-09-2002, 09:21 PM
Well, to each his own... but I think it would be a total waste of money just to buy the arena playset simply for the box as a "decoration". Those type of packed toys are meant to be opened.

underdog25
10-09-2002, 09:57 PM
JangoFart,
I use to live in KS and seemed to always find things at the local WM before the rest of the Country. I can remember the day there was over 50 Han and Tauntaun Beast Assortment 2 packs in overstock..........................I could be a rich man today! Hindsight is 20/20 they say. Congrats on the find. I can't wait to see it. I will wait to buy it when it goes on clearance. As for the open/don't open thing, you do what you do and it is your collection. I personally display as much as I can opened and boxed. Half my stuff is still boxed and half is opened up. I enjoy it both ways. Keeping it boxed is more of a space issue I have had for the past 3 years. Most of the stuff I have bought in that time frame is still boxed. Once I have my own place to display it, I will. Don't let everyone get on your nerves.

JangoFart
10-09-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Sinister Lord
Well, to each his own... but I think it would be a total waste of money just to buy the arena playset simply for the box as a "decoration". Those type of packed toys are meant to be opened.

And just what, pray tell, are OPENED figures? "Decorations".

I have both opened and boxed stuff. The VAST majority of my stuff is boxed. I posted pics of most of it in the Collections area here at SSG.

However, I prefer to keep stuff boxed. That's my preference. When anyone starts paying for someone else's collection then, and only then, PERHAPS can they dictate what gets done with it. Until I have volunteers for that, keep your collections as pleases you and I'll do the same.

"decoration".......

J

JangoFart
10-09-2002, 11:14 PM
Wow, underdog25!! I would have LOVED to come across some of those Han/Tauntaun's!! That's one of the few items that came out for POTF2 that I don't have but want. (Most of the other stuff that I don't have from POTF2 is by choice. Most :) )

All of the local Wal-Marts here (4 of them) have, as of yesterday, both the Republic Gunship and the Arena set in stock. Hopefully, they will start spreading around to the rest of the world.

J

2-1B
10-11-2002, 04:20 AM
I can't believe they are charging the same price for this pile of junk as they are the gunship! :dead:

Myself, I took a different approach after seeing it on the shelves at Wal-Mart a few days ago. I printed scans of the box from the SSG Archives onto high quality cardboard and made the carton to size . . . filled it with the Arena set's weight in rocks and it now sits above my computer ! :D :D :D

carnifexold1eye
10-11-2002, 08:35 AM
Oh by the way, your quote is from monty python and the holy grail.

JangoFart
10-11-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by carnifexold1eye
Oh by the way, your quote is from monty python and the holy grail.

Very good, carnifexold1eye; you nailed it. I'll have to see if I can come up w/ a harder one. (I might re-list the first one that nobody guessed, but I'll try to be a little more creative than that :) )

J

Dar' Argol
10-11-2002, 10:20 PM
[EDITED]

I have removed my ealier comments after much thought. This thread was closed due to bickering.

THREAD CLOSED