PDA

View Full Version : Post EP-III

lapork
10-09-2002, 01:36 PM
Perhaps someone has brought this up before or not. But it has been lingering for sometime now: what will happen after the last movie is made, and shown, after Celebration 3 in Indy?

Will Hasbro continue to produce figs?

Will collectors continue to buy figs?

All sorts of other questions...

Will Luca$ change his mind and make 3 more movies?

Do you think Expanded Universe will continue to expand, in every way---before ANH, after ROTJ, and between---unabated?

What about our collections, be they action figures, books, comics, the various assortments and combinations thereof: will they suffer become less or more valuable?

How about the Jedi religion in Oz?

Etc....

Exhaust Port
10-09-2002, 02:04 PM
I think it will be similar to the fate after ROTJ. The toys will continue for awhile after the end of the last movie only to become shelf warmers and eventually pulled. Hasbro will get out of the SW toy line as least as we see it today. I would expect to see much smaller lines aimed at collectors making an appearance each few years or so. Larger items like ships will never appear again as the investment by the manufacturer is too high to produce something aimed just as a collectible. If a larger item is green lighted it will be quite expensive and perhaps be a convention exclusive.

Only collectors will be buying figures post-Ep. III. Even then it might only be the hard core collectors that are left. But as companies shift from producing products for the masses to producing products for the collectors we might see some collectors staying on longer as items are now geared towards their interest. Higher end items will make up the majority. It will require less production by a manufacturer but they'll recoup more with a higher ticket price. Items similar to the replica light sabers we're seeing now will become more prevailant.

Will we see a continuation of the Celebration events? I would hope so. Star Trek has built an industry just with that and perhaps GL will allow SW to follow in those footsteps. It would allow for manufacturer to show their wears post-Ep. III. Fans don't need new movies as a reason to go to a Celebration. Entice us with new toys and we'll all be there.

New movies? Perhaps after staying away from it for 10-15 years he'll get the bug again. GL is a tech-nut as we see with his last 2 movies. With the movie-technology improving at such an accelerated rate who knows were it'll be in a decade or 2. I could see GL wanting to produce another sci-fi movie that would allow him to showcase his ILM/THX abilities as well as show off what he can do. Star Wars would be a great way for him to do that. Perhaps we'd get one more before he dies but I couldn't see another trilogy.

EU? It'll continue to grow. With no new movies, fans will be looking towards the EU to feed their SW appetites. Unabated? I would hope that at some point GL would put the brakes on what happens in the EU. I stopped reading the EU books after I go so sick of some of the libertes that the writers were taking.

What's the future for our collectibles? They'll only be valuable to other collectors. With most likely no new movies coming out fewer and fewer people will be drawn to collecting SW. At some point it'll become quite rare. Collectors will sell of collections lowering the value of items.

In the distant future, SW items will more of an interest as being apart of an era or movie memorabilia than being an actual SW collectible. I'm sure this will all seem quite absurd to people.

Beast
10-09-2002, 03:19 PM
Hasbro currently has rights until 2008 for figures. So expect them to continue until atleast then. Whether they go longer depends on whether or not they can recapture the very important children's intrest in the line. :)

As for movies, Lucas said he's going to take another 15-20 years off and then if he feels like making another Star Wars film, he might. But we have alot to look forward to after 2005. The DVD release of E3, and finally the DVD release of the original trilogy.

Plus McCallum has made mention of releasing things like the Ewok movies and the Ewoks and Droids cartoons on DVD after all the movies are out. Then we also have EU which will flurish again after the movies hit video. Plus they won't have to worry so much about stepping on Lucas's toes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

thespar
10-09-2002, 04:27 PM
the eu will problemly keep growing. as far as the toys will go only time will tell.

Fett2099
10-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Clears Throat puts on best preachers voice: Let us not speak of these things but bask in the knowledge that we still have Episode III to look forward too.

bigbarada
10-10-2002, 12:50 AM
I think Exhaust Port pretty much has it right. Things will go on for a while then, when the interest dies out, the line will be cancelled. There might be a little bit of hullaballoo when ROTJ hits it's 25th Anniversary in 2008 but I doubt we will see much of a resurgence in fan interest. The hardcore fans will always be around, but there won't be anything to really resurrect the Saga unless Lucas decides to make more films.

Death Star Gimp
10-10-2002, 03:32 PM
I agree with much that's been said. After EPIII the merchandise will probably continue until 2008, then Hasbro will review the franchise, but I beleive they will drop it as there will be plenty of other movie merchandise to make big on.

I am a collector, but I only collect products related to the films. I don't collect EU and I don't think there is enough interest from the wee kiddies to keep it alive.

The only way to keep the franchise going is to make more films. If GL waits 10-15 years I think it will be himself who will need the technology to get around. He could pass the legacy on to another producer/director? Or do a Lord of the Rings and film a trilogy back to back (making the timeline shorter).

Also I remember reading some time ago that GL wanted to go back to the OT and re-edit them so that they blend in with the prequels. I suspect he would do this after 2008 (after we have all bought the 6 pack DVD) and re-release. Perhaps if they were significantly different movies they could get a theatre release and hence introduce the saga to a new generation.

Alternatively, is there a multi billionaire SW collector out there who would buy the franchise and produce top quality figures at low cost, and decide on what to produce by polls... anyone out there... please!

Beast
10-10-2002, 03:46 PM
George Lucas already said that he will never allow anyone else to make a Star Wars film. Part of that is due to having Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand handle ESB and RotJ. The way they filmed the LOTR's films wouldn't work as well for the Star Wars franchise. It would probably give Lucas another heart attack, and not to mention all the special effects for the films.

What you have read about is the "Archival Editions". Nothing concrete whether Lucas is going to do them for sure or not. But there have been enough rumors and Lucas and McCallum have both said that it's somthing that is being considered.

And it wasn't just the OT that is supposed to get a makeover. The "Archival Editions" would feature changes to all 6 movies, adding some scenes that were cut to "The Phantom Menace" etc. One of TPM's scenes is supposed to be adding Bail Organa back to the senate, seconding Padme's vote of no confidance. :)

I doubt that Lucas would let another company ever produce Star Wars figures beyond Hasbro. From what I understand, he's more then happy with the products, plus the last contract gave him shares of the company. Besides, if a company like McFarlane or someone else got ahold of the line, you can likely kiss the 4" scale goodbye. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Vellner
10-10-2002, 03:59 PM
let us not forget....
once III is out then IV V and VI will be rereleased.(On the big screen)
Ep. III is NOT the END...Its just the begining of "the end"

I say SW "stuff" will be on shelves till at lease 2010

Death Star Gimp
10-10-2002, 06:29 PM
Master Jar Jar Binks, again you are the voice of knowledge and wisdom, however more importantly please tell me - are you are a multi-billion-squillionaire who is at this very moment preparing a cash flow analysis in your hostile bid to wrestle the SW franchise from Hasbro?

bigbarada
10-10-2002, 08:42 PM
I don't think the OT will see another big screen rerelease. If anything the additions and changes will only exist on the DVDs.

Of course GL could change his mind again.

Originally, back in 1995, GL stated that he planned to film all three Star Wars films at once and release them one year apart. Exactly how LOTR turned out. He supposedly changed his mind when he realized that the Ep1 CG technology hadn't progressed nearly enough to realize Ep3 the way he wanted it.

Turbowars
10-10-2002, 10:13 PM
Man, all of you are depressing me. Can we talk about something else?;) I wish GL would just come out and say YES or No on 3 more films. It's not like he has little kids to take care of anymore, he has us! The one's that made him rich. GL owes us 3 more films.

JangoFart
10-11-2002, 12:14 AM
There was an interview I read w/ Lucas right about the time that EP2 came out in which he said he would absolutely make no more SW films after EP3. Of course, money talks and ...... walks. So, he may decide he needs another jet sometime in the future.

J

OriginalBryGuy
10-11-2002, 02:16 PM
I think we're lucky enough that he decided to get to working on Episode's I,II, and III. Had GL had the technology back then, I'm sure it all would have turned out quite different. But, he's waited, and pondered, and reworked..

I'd be willing to be the house that Episode III will be the last Star Wars film but he'll keep tinkering with all the films until he dies.

As far as the toys go, yea, they'll be around for a few years after 3 then slowly trail off.

And yea, there are all kinds of new Star Wars comic book series that started this year that will continue long after the movies and figures are over, so...there will never truly be an end to the Star Wars universe for true fans.:happy:

To the original poster about value...again, depends on the figure, and the market. I'd say most figures will go up do to the fact that this 'resurge' in Star Wars since '95 has brought the franchise to a whole new group of fans that will hunger for more later....

Bad for them that everything will trickle out, but good for anyone wanting to sell star wars stuff in the future.

bigbarada
10-12-2002, 12:07 AM
I honestly hope we don't see three more Star Wars films. Just the thought of having to suffer through nine more years of whiny, impossible to please fanboys is enough to make we want to plotz.:)

Darth Vellner
10-12-2002, 12:19 AM
After Ep.III
I would like to see McFarlane pick up the SW line and make them Forever...just like Spawn...being pushed by EU comics and what not.

bigbarada
10-12-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Darth Vellner
After Ep.III
I would like to see McFarlane pick up the SW line and make them Forever...just like Spawn...being pushed by EU comics and what not.

What a great idea!! I've been looking for an excuse to stop collecting and I think McFarlane Star Wars figures based on EU storylines would do just the trick.;)

Beast
10-12-2002, 01:37 AM
Yeah, no thanks to McFarlane getting his grubby mitts on the franchise. Hasbro may not always please everyone, but they do a pretty damn good job. Besides, do you really want to see the line re-start in a new scale, with the same charecter all over again. Besides, I never cared for McFarlane's cheesy figures that break so easily. Not to mention they lost 4 of their finest sculptors when they broke away and formed "The 4 Horseman" and started doing the new He-Man line for Mattel. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
10-12-2002, 02:10 AM
I could just see Wave 1 of McFarlane's all-new line of Star Wars figures:

Tatooine Luke
ANH Han Solo
Boba Fett
Darth Vader
Darth Maul
Jango Fett

Of course, we could always use more figures of those characters.:rolleyes:

Beast
10-12-2002, 02:25 AM
Exactly BigB. Whatever company that picks up the line is going to want to alter the scale and start all over again so that they can get some of the big bucks from new version of core charecters. The only thing I wouldn't mind seeing, is maybe McFarlane, Lucasfilm, and Hasbro working out a deal so that a future Movie Maniacs line could include Darth Vader. :cool: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

gsr-jedi
10-13-2002, 05:20 PM
Why are you trying to make everyone sad, instead remember that we have five full years plus a movie year before 2008. Plus ESB 25th Anniversary & ROTJ 25th Anniversary. There'll be plenty of toys for us to buy until then. Most of us will probably have spent a small fortune by then.

If McFarlane was to make toys, they would increase the scale, which would mean there would be no more vehicles cause they'd be too big (imagine a Gunship fit for 7 inch figures) and too expensive. Also, the price of basic figures would probably go up to $10.

It's sad to think about the end of Star Wars, but maybe Hasbro will take more fan ideas towards the end to keep interest up (I'm not holding my breath). I don't see any reason why I'll stop collecting, so I'll still be there in the end.

Woohoo 50th post!!!