PDA

View Full Version : KB Toy Club Scam

ACPin
10-09-2002, 01:06 PM
KB has been promoting this past few weeks the KB Toy Club where you get a stamp on a card for buying $25 or more (bonus 1 stamp when you join in). When you get 4 stamps (or the equivalent of $75 sales), then you can get 20% off whatever your next purchase with certain exclusions (like video games, etc).

Since I was able to find the latest wave from one store, I figured might as well join in and got four stamps in the process. Now I've just gotten back from the same store and I found that all of the SW figures have been taken off the shelf! :eek:

I've heard all about what the other stores have been doing about clearing away the old Saga toys to make way for the newer waves and in some cases the prices were being lowered. So I asked one of the salesperson about it and she said that all the SW toys were being retagged. Thoughts of finally getting those extra army builders on sale and with the additional 20% off the toy club card were racing through my mind. :happy:

That was until she showed the new price tags of $5.49 from the previous $4.99! What the $#@&* is going on? Then I saw the boxes behind the counter still with the old $4.99 price tags! I was about to get some of the army builders for the old price (plus 20% off the Toy Club card) but I was stopped and she said that they're all $5.49 now!

I certainly gave her a piece of my mind and I'm not about to make any more purchases from that store or from any other KB store if they're doing the same thing. Almost forgot that the other salespersons are busy going around the store putting on new price tags on other toys! I looked at a few and the prices were certainly going up as well! :frus: :mad:

Don't buy from KB stores coz their Toy Club is just a big scam!

LTBasker
10-09-2002, 01:18 PM
Unless it's an exclusive or something that's just showing up there (like during the clearances and the 12" Valorum and Guard showed up there for $15) I never go to KB. Wal-Mart, TRU, TARGET are all in the same area as the closest KB, plus a little ways off is a K-Mart so it's not like it's the only other store out there. I've always hated the way they price stuff.

Prince Xizor
10-09-2002, 01:55 PM
They were promoting the KB Club when I was there yesterday, and I did not see that the Figs went up in price, but I would not be surprised to see if they did today.

thespar
10-09-2002, 03:49 PM
that funny when you what to move stuff you lower the prices not rise them. guess kb toys are doing things backward again.

Turbowars
10-09-2002, 07:39 PM
KB has always S U C Ked. The only problem is, they are the only store around me that is getting new stuff.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-09-2002, 09:17 PM
I almost laughed and threw out the card the girl from KB handed me that card. Since KB is way overpriced, I don't think I'll be spending more than $25 at one time anytime soon. Beside getting 20% off your next purchase at KB is like getting 15 cents off expired baby food.

And yes--they seem to be the only store getting in the new waves. But even then if you bought the entire new wave you wouldn't get a stamp anyway.

Bobajames
10-09-2002, 10:00 PM
actually, since KB is way overpriced, the only way to not spend over $25 is to not go there at all! :D my KB, last time i checked, had decent prices on older stuff, but all the saga figures were 5.49 ever since they came out. the only reason i would go there is to maybe look at a video game or to buy wone of those clearance things (all gone by now).

SithDroid
10-10-2002, 12:01 AM
Well ACPin, I knew this was probably going to happen. First off I was at KB about a week ago and I found two figures I was missing so I picked them up for $4.99 a piece. The girl asked me if I wanted to join the KB club, but I turned it down like I always do for every subscription service anywhere because they are ALL SCAMS. They hardly ever do anything for you. Like Waldenbooks. You pay $10 for the membership and you get like 10% off. Well, if you don't buy at least $100 worth of books, you won't be saving money, you'll be LOSING money. And since I only buy paperback editions at around $5 a pop, I'd have to buy at least 20 to break even and I oonly really buy a book a month.

Beware of these special "Clubs."

Jayspawn
10-10-2002, 12:09 AM
I don't see it as any kind of a deal. Much less a club. You spend a lot to save a few bucks in the end? Sounds like kind of a rip.

aikman
10-10-2002, 09:29 AM
Kb has always been the most expensive with least stock .

Clubs are always psuedo rip offs unless u buy tons of stuff.

Its only an extra .50 a fig , Id hardly call that a scam

Prince Xizor
10-10-2002, 10:50 AM
The only club or deal that I have ever bought into was for Lids. You pay $3 one time, and you get 10% off every purchase for the next 2 years. Now myself, I by at least a hat a month, not to mention sh*t to clean it with, so it was definitly worth it to me.

Darth Detori
10-10-2002, 09:37 PM
I was actually quite grateful to recieve the card from the girl who gave it to me- in fact I'd be quite grateful to recieve anything from her ;)
I go to KB if they have what I want. Pretty simple. I'll pay the higher prices if they have what I want (which has been rare, up until recently).

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-10-2002, 09:57 PM
Their is no expense in joinging the club though. It is free to join and you don't have to spend anything to get the stamp booklet (at least not in my case). The clerk gave it to me as soon as I walked into the store.

But yes, I do agree that 20% off your purchase after spending at least $25 bucks, four times, is not a good deal. Especially at Kay-Bee.

Val Da Car
10-10-2002, 10:47 PM
Actually when you spend the first $25 bux you get 2 for 1 stamping on the card....by the time you buy the Gunship + pilots you could drop $50 anyway

just my .02

Bobdole
10-10-2002, 10:53 PM
I don;t seem to understand the "KB toy club scam" part of the title. I mean I'm not defending KB here, hell I'm a TRU kid but they were simply changing the price of their figures. The fact that you joined the "toy club" which if you think of it spending 75 bucks for 20% off one time is not a great deal to begin with. But I wouldn't call what they are doing a scam. You can buy other toys with your discount.

Lyet
10-11-2002, 07:26 AM
"I certainly gave her a piece of my mind and I'm not about to make any more purchases from that store or from any other KB store if they're doing the same thing. Almost forgot that the other salespersons are busy going around the store putting on new price tags on other toys! I looked at a few and the prices were certainly going up as well! "

How dare you ***** out the employee like she is somehow the devil and is raising the prices for her own personal gain. She is only doing her job, and changing the prices the company tells her to. Maybe it is because I work in a mall music store and have to deal with this kind of complaining all day long. If that girl had any say in the matter, or my store, we would all lower the prices. IT IS OUT OF OUR HANDS!

Darth Detori
10-11-2002, 08:27 AM
he probably didn't really blow up at her, but still- I do agree that he shouldn't have acted like it was her fault, but telling her that he's unhappy with the price hike is perfectly fine

Prince Xizor
10-11-2002, 01:30 PM
Ah hell, lets not get into another agrument about being mean to employees. He was ****ed, he took it out on the nearest person. It already happened. Get over it.

Turbowars
10-11-2002, 05:27 PM
It's a bunch of BS! The Scam is, KB leads us to think we are getting a deal, but all they did was raise the cost and then take it back down with a crappy @ss paper that we will lose. I know how it works, I was in retail for 6 years. Where I worked they would raise the regular price by 10%, and then put a sale sign on it 10% off.

Bib Forlobster
10-11-2002, 05:47 PM
At the Kay-Bee nearest me the prices haven't been raised. They did give me the card, but I never really spend $25 in one shot there anyway. The same clerks see me there about once a week and if they do have anything in stock I usually end up spending about $20.
It's not really a club if you don't join. They should have a card that keeps track of your purchases so that when you reach the $100 mark it takes 20% off (Like the Shop-Rite chain of grocery stores). Even Subway does it better by giving you a stamp for each $5 purchase. It really is a scam to try to get you to spend more.

Since they lowered their prices on Saga figures to compete with TRU I've been stopping in there more often. They do get the newer figure assortments quicker than TRU, but the problem is that all the employees pick the cases clean before they hit the floor. I hear them talking! So, I'll probably be seeing Ephant Mon at TRU before I see it at Kay-Bee.

ACPin
10-11-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Lyet
"I certainly gave her a piece of my mind and I'm not about to make any more purchases from that store or from any other KB store if they're doing the same thing. Almost forgot that the other salespersons are busy going around the store putting on new price tags on other toys! I looked at a few and the prices were certainly going up as well! "

How dare you ***** out the employee like she is somehow the devil and is raising the prices for her own personal gain. She is only doing her job, and changing the prices the company tells her to. Maybe it is because I work in a mall music store and have to deal with this kind of complaining all day long. If that girl had any say in the matter, or my store, we would all lower the prices. IT IS OUT OF OUR HANDS!
First off, there was no cursing nor did I raise my voice at the salesperson. I tried to reason out in vain to just get the figures that had not been retagged for the previous price of $4.99 and your quote was exactly was what she said. It's the company and it's out of her hands! That's what got me and I just walked out of the store. :frus:

Turbowars has described what was the scam about. It's no different than when Nobody Beats The Wiz had the clearance sales where everything was marked down, but in reality a lot of the items were retagged with higher retail prices. Misleading the buyer into believing that they're getting a bargain when they're not, that's a scam! :mad: