PDA

View Full Version : South Korean dies in marathon game session

Lord Malakite
10-09-2002, 11:57 PM
A 24-year-old South Korean man dies after 86 hours of straight gaming without food or sleep.

According to an Associated Press report, South Korean police said today that a man has died after an 86-hour gaming marathon. The incident occurred at an Internet café in a town 160 miles southwest of Seoul, where the man, who was unemployed, had been "virtually glued" to a computer since Friday, skipping sleep and meals. The man collapsed near the café's counter and was later found dead in the restroom. Many Internet cafés in South Korea are open 24 hours a day.

Nexu
10-10-2002, 06:05 PM
Hehehheheh. He was probably trying to beat UT2003. :p

QLD
10-10-2002, 06:30 PM
Man, I would be dead tired if I did that.......

Boba Rhett
10-11-2002, 05:52 AM
Geeez guys. Maybe you should write all those oh-so-witty comments down and send them to the guys family. I'm sure they'd make them feel better about the death of their son.

Beast
10-11-2002, 09:53 AM
Boba Rhett, someone stupid enough to forget to eat and sleep, who ends up dieing because he's obsessed with computer gaming deserves to be laughed at. Sure, it's morbid humor, but when isn't utter stupidy funny. On a lighter note, this guy's a shoe in for the Darwin Award this year. :)

For those that don't know, Darwin Awards: "The Darwin Awards honor those who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it in really stupid ways. We commemorate those who gave their all, adding a dose of chlorine to the pool."

http://www.darwinawards.com

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
10-11-2002, 10:01 AM
Maybe I will, do you have the address?

Lord Malakite
10-11-2002, 12:49 PM
Alright, there is no need to get into an argument over this.

The real sad thing about this story is that it isn't the first time I have heard of this happening. I've heard of this happening on at least three other occasions.

QLD
10-11-2002, 03:11 PM
I loooooooove video games. I could play them 20 hours a day.

BUT......I hae never once, not wanted to take a toilet break, and a hot pockets break. :)

I mean, no game is THAT good.

Patient Zero
10-11-2002, 03:53 PM
Or maybe you would have hot pockets because you did not take a bathroom break!

Nexu
10-11-2002, 07:01 PM
I don't know QLD, have you ever played UT2003? That game is seriously, the best game ever made. No competition. At all. In the least. Doom III? Um...NO.

scruffziller
10-14-2002, 01:13 AM
My uncle will play games all night long, take a shower then go to work.

QLD
10-14-2002, 03:45 AM
I haven't really been intereted in Unreal Tournament. I didn't care for the priginal too much, so I passed on this one.

Boba Rhett
10-14-2002, 10:00 AM
The original is great. The new one is great too but it moves to fast like Q3. :(

Lord Malakite
10-24-2002, 03:40 PM
A 27-year-old Taiwanese man has collapsed and died after playing games for 32 hours straight.

For the second time this month, there's a report of a death linked to a marathon gaming session. According to a report cited on Blue's News, the new incident occurred last Thursday in an Internet café in Taiwan, where a 27-year-old man played games for 32 hours before collapsing. Police said the man died from exhaustion as a result of having stayed in the same position too long.

Beast
10-24-2002, 03:48 PM
Another fine contender for this years "Darwin Award". Man, I am a net addict as well, but I know enough to sleep and eat and do other things. Seriously, how stupid are some people in the world now adays? :stupid: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
10-24-2002, 04:33 PM
This one is from earlier in the year.

Youngster slept only two hours a day
A 17-year-old boy died after a marathon game-playing session at the Hong Kong's cybercafe where he worked, the South China Morning Post reported.
Colleagues saw him lying on the floor at around 9.30am, but thought he had fallen asleep after playing Diablo ll since around 3am. Only when they tried to wake him did they realise he was unconscious. He was declared dead on arrival at hospital.

The boy was said to work 12 hours a day and play online games for 10 hours, sleeping only for two. The cause of death was unknown, but an organisation representing local cybercafe owners immediately called for more attention to be paid to games addicts.

The chairman Isaac Chan Chi-Kit said employees would be told to advise players to take a break after two hours. Some were said to play for 24 hours or more at a time.

Lord Malakite
10-24-2002, 04:46 PM
Here is one from two years ago.

Korean Man Dies During Marathon Gaming Session

A man who disregarded meals and went without sleep for several nights to play computer games died of heart failure yesterday, the South China Morning Post is reporting. Kim Kwang-su, 37, had been playing the game One Thousand Years non-stop for 17 hours before his death in Pusan, South Korea. Police said his death was believed to have been stress-related, and brought on at the hand of his gaming addiction. Officers, citing employees of the computer games room Kim owned, said he often played the title from 4:00 p.m., when his shift ended, until 9:00 a.m. the following day, when his next shift would start. He often refused meals and went without adequate sleep in the three months before his death, they said.

South Korea has seen computer game shops, called PC rooms, prosper over the past year, with 13,000 opening for business, and professional gamers emerging as new social idols. Interest in computer entertainment has resulted in other tragedies. Last month, a seven-month-old child left at home alone died in an accident while his parents played Starship at a games room in Seoul.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-24-2002, 05:30 PM
At least these people died happy and died doing something they enjoyed. Better than some other ways of dying, that's for sure.

If I could choose where I could die, I would choose either in a theater watching the orginal SW trilogy with my family and friends OR at the San Diego Comic Con with my family and friends!

:)

JediTricks
10-25-2002, 04:51 AM
At least the first guy mentioned here, the one in South Korea, had enough stamina to go 86 hours. These others don't even get the high score! :D I'm sorry, but this is just ridiculous when you would rather die than take a break, and for what?

James Boba Fettfield
10-25-2002, 11:42 AM
The only logical choice is to ban such cafes. Or these people could get some GOD DAMN SENSE! Whichever works.