PDA

View Full Version : exclusively star wars?

dualedge
10-10-2002, 10:43 AM
First time posting - was curious if most folks here collect ONLY star wars action fleet. I know I've tried picking up some other items like the Battle Squads planes and tanks, Aliens, etc.

I made myself a custom action fleet '89 Batmobile as well... I've been a big fan of the action fleet toys since I discovered them on clearance after Episode 1. I was late to realize their level of coolness but have since made up for it.

good shot jansen
10-10-2002, 10:49 AM
welcome to the mm forums dualedge! :)

i collect primarely the star wars action fleet, (though i i do also have the aliens and predetor af's as well)

i started out collecting af's in 95 when they 1st came out, as i thought they would be a cool toy for my son who was almost 2 at the time.

the size of the af made it far easier for a young boy to play with them, than te larger 3 3/4" line.

my love for the af's then led me to start collecting the sci fi micro machines (star wars, star trek, babylon 5), which then led to me collecting and enjoying all the star wars lines produced by galoob. (x-rays, die-cast, transforming head sets, etc)

although i enjoy the alien and predator action fleet, i feel that galoob really hit the mark with the star wars line.

to date, it is still both my sons (mason is now 8), and my favorite toy line.

i never got into collecting the battle squads, i don't really know why, but they never interested me at all.

once again, welcome, glad to have ya aboard! :)

JediTricks
10-10-2002, 07:57 PM
Welcome aboard! Besides Star Wars Action Fleet, I have all 3 Aliens AF and a few Battle Squads (though the missile launchers kept me away from most selections in that line). I also have the Bandai Xyber 9 line that's in Action Fleet scale, the Bandai Copperhead that's straight out of AF-land from the Final Fantasy movie, the Bandai Power Rangers Time Force megazords which are near-Action Fleet scale (they all have opening cockpits to accept power rangers mini-figs, sold separately :(), the Hasbro AF-style Batman Beyond Batcave w/ batmobile, and the Playmates Star Trek Strikeforce line.

I keep forgetting how many AF-style toys Bandai puts out, they also had a few AF-esque Gundam ships w/ mini mobile suits.

Your batmobile sounds like a real winner, did you use the Ertl die-cast one and alter the cockpit somehow?

dualedge
10-10-2002, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! I have one of the Xyber 9 line - the blue gorilla like robot (big arms, little legs) - very cool. There's just something about having scale vehicles and little pilots you can put in the cockpits. It's just cooler than the out of proportion 3 3/4" scale vehicles.

By far most of my collection is Star Wars but I'm still trying to pick up a few I missed here and there. I have to say, even though I'm not a kid anymore, the playability of these things is just very cool. My Battle Squads P-51 Mustang is one of the best airplane toys I've ever seen.

I did use the die cast metal Batmobile for my action fleet vehicle. I guess we can't post pictures in the messages here, eh? Here are some links to some pictures.

http://dualedge.com/images/batmobile/batmobile1.jpg
http://dualedge.com/images/batmobile/batmobile2.jpg
http://dualedge.com/images/batmobile/batmobile3.jpg

I used 2 of the diecast batmobiles - one to cut out the cockpit area and one to cut around the cockpit area. Cutting it cleanly off of just one diecast vehicle would be impossible I'd guess.

The seat inside is from one of the Batman Beyond vehicles. I also added new tires with rubber wheels and made the cockpit canopy have little metal arms that allow it to open and close in a close approximation of the movie. I painted it with a gloss black spray paint and added the details using enamel model paints.

The Batman figure is a repainted Batman Beyond and of course he does fit in the vehicle.

Hope the pics work for you guys...

Rob

britcit3
10-11-2002, 12:43 AM
Hi Dualedge

I think that you will find that the blue "gorilla" robot is a battle robot called CLOD.

Cheers

BC3

JediTricks
10-11-2002, 04:59 AM
Rob, I couldn't agree more about having figures that are in-scale with their vehicles, probably why I love the old Kenner MASK line as well (and it's sequel, Vor-Tech).

The forums let you attach 1 file to a post, but we don't show images in the posts themselves.

I'm surprised you used the smaller 1/64th Hot Wheels-scale batmobile, I was picturing the larger 1/48th-scale one from Ertl (that line also had a same-scale Batwing, both awesome toys). The one you made is very cool, I have an unaltered Hasbro version right here that I got from the Warner Bros store right before they went under - it appears to be the same body (with that funny hump in the wings) but with a cruddy plastic undercarriage. I like how yours is in scale with the Hasbro Batman Beyond one, and I'd love to find out how you did the opening cockpit design, I've been trying to do that for 13 years now (mostly in Lego) with little success.

SWAFMAN
10-11-2002, 06:22 PM
Belated warm welcomes, dualedge!!!

I'm another all-AF/BSquads collector.

SWAF
SSTAF
ALIEAF
PREDAF
WArF (BSquads)

Also have the playmates AF-knockoffs (dreccch!!)
Final Fantasy Copperhead (cool!)
and some other stuff....

Great to have you on the forum.

haggie
10-13-2002, 03:30 PM
I'm SWAF only as far as micros go. I like the Predator AFs but haven't bought them yet. I'd probably collect other sci-fi AFs if they ever made any (wasn't a fan of the Starship Trooper stuff because I didn't love the ship/creature design).

I collect some 3 3/4" SW (Jedi, Sith, Bounty Hunters, Strom Troopers, and any characters I really like) and some random other things like the occassional Simpsons, McFarlane sports, and various comic book figs. I am also a collector of Zoids (starting to rival my SW collection).