PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe Clonetrooper MiniReview

Jayspawn
10-10-2002, 01:59 PM
Man o man things have been slow at all my stores for a while now. Hopefully the backlog of pegwarmers will start to clear shortly. Foruntatly, a good friend of mine hooked me up with a few of the newest figures that he was fortunate enough to find. This particular figure, I've been especially looking forward to...

Deluxe Clonetrooper

- Likeness: Not exact but close. I'm comparing the figure to actor Jay Laga'aia who played Captain Typho and who incidently played the part of the Clones as well. 3/5.

- Sculpt/Detail: Armor on or off, its a nice figure. Much like the POTF Scout Trooper, the legs are spread apart so he can fit on the speederbike more easily. Ball joints would make it better I think but it works. I love the Imperial and Kamino symbols on his outfit. The figure looks great with his armor on or off. 5/5.

- Articulation: Cloney has 9 points of articulation. His left wrist is articulated so he can hold onto the speederbike handle. And his right elbow is also for his action feature. I'd wish they had used ball joints for this thighs. He's sculpted with his legs appart, ball joints would have made the figure more posable. 4/5.

- Accessories: This is my favorite part. This deluxe figures come with a blaster, 6 pieces of removable armor, and a speederbike! The blaster looks similar to a Stormtrooper blaster. The removable armor (my favorite part) includes a helmet, chest piece, thigh and shoulder armor - it all fits him very well. Nothing loose or too small. Then theres the speederbike. It's an overhauled version of the POTF one. It doesn't have exploding action- just a basic vehicle. It has some rubber wires, and the seat and handle areas have been resculpted as well. 5/5.

- Playability: What a great toy. There's nothing fragile or delicate with this one so it can be played with countless times. The figure has a button on his back which makes the right arm extend and retract. Not a bad feature, it looks ok when the figure is holding his gun. I'm a huge fan of removable helmets/armor and such. Its a very cool feature. The speeder bike is a great as well, the figure fits on it with little work and has an articulated wrist so he can hold on. 5/5.

- Value: This fellow was picked up at KB Toys for $9.99 which is a fantastic price for this piece. You get a very cool figure, a weapon and a vehicle. Hard to beat that. 5/5.

OVERALL: I've been looking forward to this figure more than others. Mostly because of the Clonetrooper's removable armor. I'm all about that. It's one of my favorite features of a toy- if they have it. My other favs include C-3PO w/ removable panels. Vader and Jango w/ removable helmets and Stormtrooper Han and Lukes. One of my other favorite figures was a Batman Returns Bruce Wayne figure with removable Batsuit. Now that was a cool toy! Hasbro did an awesome job with this! 5/5.

Darth Sidious
10-10-2002, 02:11 PM
Kickarse! Thanks for the review, I'll definitely be getting one or two of these. :)

JEDIpartner
10-10-2002, 06:16 PM
You really have me excited about this one!! I have 3 of these on the way. Are the eyes still red on this one?

Jayspawn
10-10-2002, 06:33 PM
Yes the eyes are red. Very weird.

JediTricks
10-10-2002, 07:47 PM
Cool review, but what happened to the electro-mine accessory? Is it gone?

Oh, and Bodie Taylor played the clones, not Jay Laga'aia: http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/news/2001/07/news20010713.html

Jayspawn
10-11-2002, 02:31 PM
Thats right! It was Brodie Taylor! And yes the Clonetrooper does come with the electro-mine accessory. It's a neat little piese but not much the figure can do with it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-11-2002, 05:43 PM
Is his throwing action any good?