PDA

View Full Version : battle arena playset

npaniry
10-10-2002, 05:57 PM
I just picked up and opened the arena playset I was a little bit upset to find that it was now 50 bucks instead of 40 but what upset me even more was that it did not come with the accessories that they advertised it with in the convention. It is missing the firing cannon and the electron binder. Oh well I guess I shouldnt be suprised the Republic gunship didny come with the pilot it was advertised to come with. Just like to hear thought about this.

Battle Droid
10-10-2002, 06:02 PM
It is missing the firing cannon and the electron binder.

Hopefully they'll be released with basic or deluxe figures.

JEDIpartner
10-10-2002, 07:19 PM
Hopefully they will! What a shame that the playset is missing these essential pieces. I would have thought the Deluxe Geonosian would be better off packed in with the cannon rather than the "attack hive."

Npaniry... Is there any possibility of you writing a more detailed review of this set? Or was your post a one time deal. :(

Jargo
10-10-2002, 08:58 PM
What about this big Reek poopy thing the geonosian packed with?. I don't see that attacking much and don't see how it attaches to the arena. where are you going to put a big brown reek poopy that only has a suction cup to attach it to things with? or does the suction cup come off and leave a peg behind or something? Enquiring minds want to know.

I bet hasbro release the cannon with a battle droid re-release in red or something since that's the only way they'll shift any number of them going by what people seem to think about the battle droids lately.

The other force binders accessory may come with Dooku I suppose. Or maybe a new Obi. Dooku would definately benefit from a cool accessory.

So how easy is the arena to put together? How sturdy is it once assembled? Do those top spire thingies stat in place or wobble and fall off? How does that extending bridge work out in reality, good or bad?

Battle Droid
10-10-2002, 09:03 PM
Reek poopy?:confused:

Jargo
10-10-2002, 09:28 PM
Y'know the Reek poopy hasbro are calling an attack pod, it packs with the not so deluxe geonosian. Big brown jobby, fat at the bottom and tapers to a little apex. has ridges along it's sides. Big Reek poopy is what it is. Don't let hasbro tell you otherwise cuz what else could drop something that looks like that on Geonosis?

All i want to know is where on the playset it's supposed to fit.

Jayspawn
10-11-2002, 01:18 AM
I passed on the Arena playset for now. It just doesn't look at all like it did in the movie and it's too small! Whats with those big metal doors? That wasn't in the movie at all. And the balcony that Jango, Dooku, Poggle and Nute were on is WAY too small! There's no way you can fit those figures on there. And I wasn't big on the stickers of the Geos that you stick on.

The playset should have been a LOT bigger. There should have been some seats that you can set your Geo warriors on. The big metal doors should just be an opening with a gate (like in the movie), Dooku's balcony should have been bigger. It should have come with a bonus figure. And the droid factory thing should have had more machine type pieces, droid parts. And the Hanger area should have been a LOT bigger as well so Obi, Anakin, Yoda and Dooku could fight.

Tycho
10-11-2002, 05:51 AM
I had a good day today: I got the Arena Playset at K-mart and the Tyranus / Mace Unleashed wave at KB.

I'm going to be brief on my review of the Arena playset:

It's perfect for what I want it to be - a backdrop to an arena battle diorama.

I wasn't going to get much use out of the back of the set I don't think. The droid factory part, the cutters and stompers, plugs in nicely to deluxe Threepio's assembly line, and soon I'll add Deluxe Yoda's and Padme's connector piece. It will look really cool.

So now I guess I will do this scene in the back of the playset, as it is detailed nicely for it - and it will probably show in any kind of diorama I do for this.

Here's the deal: it's too big to fit in a standard display case IF YOU WANT TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE GUNSHIP LANDED IN THE CENTER OF THE ARENA. To get characters fighting all around that, it is taking up my whole kitchen table (regularly seats 4)!

I recommend some kind of custom glass coffee table made with an interior designed to encase the Arena and the gunship (landed at an attack angle that looks real).

I am still kind of experimenting with my set-up, so I'll post more later, after I'm satisfied. I definitely am glad I bought this thing though! Definitely!:)

JEDIpartner
10-11-2002, 09:41 AM
How much did you shell out for this "backdrop?" We've established that it is missing the detention thingy and the cannon. Did the instructions state that these pieces would be shipping in the future as the Gunship stated (incorrectly) that the turret bubbles and bike would be sold separately?

Well? WELL????!!! :D

Tycho
10-12-2002, 02:11 AM
The Arena playset has enough value in what it comes with.

The box never shows the cannon and the Jedi energy trap as being included. Early Hasbro (Toy Fair pics actually - I think) showed these pieces and I'm sure we'll get them with a Deluxe Figure or whatever.

The gunship's extra cannons were never said to be included with the gunship. Nor the speederbikes. It is cool they are making accessories go with other stuff they put out there. I have no complaints there, and I've found 7 Gunship Pilots so far.

The Number 1 Problem with the Arena set that irks me is that the stands (pegs) don't want to hold figures firmly. Battle Droids are the hardest figures to stand (Super and Regular - sounds like gasoline there, wait a minute... OK, unless we invade Iraq, Battle Droids will cost much more of our time to get standing, for both Super and Unleaded - whoops - wrong thread...) We need our International Trading Federations bzzzzt - zip - to stand their ground and fight as an international coalition of Clones and Jedi Knights, so if we put them in a playset, they need to have a Resolution to stay there.

It is sad that I have to use clear Real Stands or Fan Club ones, whatever I'm using, to set figures up on this playset! That's just wrong! The holes in the feet of the Droids seem to large for the pegs, and you want Threepio in there, marching with his head on a combat chasis, and his body with a "Feddy Head," right? The holes in the bottom of the 3PO deluxe set figures are too SMALL to fit the Arena playset pegs...grrrr. The only figures I don't have problems with are those like Eeth Koth or Luminara, who stand up anywhere because they're fixed to be pre-posed that way - or the troops I have on the action pegs in my gunship.

I will try again to use the pegs on my Arena set, but in the interest of just enjoying myself, I will probably be back to real stands faster than you'll ever see a picture of my setup - especially since I don't own a digital camera. :D

On the brighter side, the balcony is big enough, contrary to what others say. I only have Boba and Dooku on mine right now, but I estimate that Nute, Lott, several Superdroids (probably on stands) and Poggle the Lesser could fit up there just fine. Boba's way over to the extreme left (your left if facing it, though it'd be Boba's right). If his dad was still alive in this scene in my diorama, there's room for Jango right next to him. I think I might even be able to put Geonosian Guards there.

Oh, I'm electing not to put stickers of an audience in the sticker spaces. Since the scale's just off, I'd rather not. I'll save my sticker sheet with the box, so I can always change my mind.

Darn pegs! Why can't they make them work????

plasticfetish
10-12-2002, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
I recommend some kind of custom glass coffee table made with an interior designed to encase the Arena and the gunship (landed at an attack angle that looks real).

:D

You should have heard my argument for the build of just such a table with the wife. It'd never end up displaying the Star Wars toys ... but I'm becoming obsessed with the possibility.

Tycho
10-12-2002, 04:51 AM
Way off the subject, but I found the ideal coffee table for how I wanted to make my Dagobah setup.

It's as long as the couch, a true coffee talbe, with 3 glass top sections that look down onto a magazine shelf under the tabletop.

I plan on boarding up the sides of the table with plexiglass, save for a part where I can run some electrical wires into the inside. Then I plan on laying down several vintage Dagobah playsets, with the smaller ('95) X-wing in between them, sort of submerged in a fake swamp I'd make using artificial plants and clay I'd mold. Then I'd add those rock fountains I've seen that make like dry-ice clouds - except there's some with their own refridgeration components or something, where you don't need dry ice. I'd add them around the outside edges of the display.

Put in Dagobah Luke, Yoda, Spirit Ben, Vader Dagobah, and R2-D2, maybe Luke Bespin, and some discovery channel snakes on their scale that I bought (pardon the pun), and I've got a simple, artsy, and nifty little coffee table diorama.

The Arena Playset, done in that kind of a table style, would have to be much higher and much more square. I'm almost done setting up, but I need more stands. Once I get all the droids and clones in there that I think I'll use, I'll measure the setup. I have no room for such a table now, so eventually I'll take this down because I'll want my kitchen table back. But for now it's really cool - I just shot some traditional film photography pictures I'll scan when they're developed. Meanwhile, I left enough room that 2 people can still eat at the table while looking into the warzone and seeing all the cool stuff to look at while you (and the Nexu) eat. :)

plasticfetish
10-12-2002, 12:26 PM
That all sounds super cool!
I would have never thought of Dagobah.
very very cool.

marcusfett
10-12-2002, 03:17 PM
I am debating over whether or not to get the Arena when I eventually find it. Initialy I was floored as Hasbro has never made any playsets of this scale (unless you count the EP I Amidala Ship or the POTF2 AT-AT as playsets) with the new figures, but now that I've heard the price is $50 rather than $40 and some of the comments on it, I'm rather doubtful. Oh well.

Darth Cruel
10-14-2002, 03:34 AM
I got mine today at Wal-Mart for $38.86. Where are they $50.00?

JEDIpartner
10-14-2002, 09:47 AM
I paid $26.96 for mine... I think it was a mistake!

Anyhow... it's cool and I did my own review for it over in the "reviews" section.

I have Mace, Nute, Dooku and Jango in the box and it's pretty tight right now. I think that Poggle better show up soon or "this party's over!" :frus:

Val Da Car
10-18-2002, 11:13 AM
Hi Everybody,

I just got my Geonosian Arena and assembled it and found that the balcony does not snap in to place. Did any of assembling the arena have this problem?

Thanks
Val Da Car

JEDIpartner
10-18-2002, 11:38 AM
I had a bit of a problem with this at first. It kept falling off, actually. I can't even tell you how I even finally got it to stay put. It DOES clip into that portion of the unit, but it seems to take a good deal of lining up.

Best of luck to you, friend! :)

Turbowars
10-18-2002, 08:03 PM
I saw this set at KB last night and it looks like a huge dog turd! I'm sorry, but the box is so misleading to a child, it's not fair to them. Anyways I passed on it and bought 2 pairs of 12" Clones (Red and Yellow) I never have been a fan of Play sets, but I'm happy to see some of you like them.;)

Tycho
10-18-2002, 09:23 PM
Why is the box misleading to a child?

JEDIpartner
10-18-2002, 09:39 PM
Perhaps the child doesn't realise that this "dog turd" doesn't come with all the figures?

:confused:

Freedom
10-18-2002, 10:13 PM
I got mine today at Wal-Mart for 42.32 plus tax.
I think the Arena playset is great. It makes a great backdrop for diaromas. It's bigger than I thought it was, but it could stand to be a little bigger. With all the add-on's like geonosian cannon and detainment block hopefully, and Deluxe Yoda and Deluxe C-3P0, it has the potential to grow.

Now we really need a Poggle the Lessor for the spectator box.

Question: Who is the female Jedi on the back cover of the role playing game manual? She's on the left above Mace and below Dooku.

Turbowars
10-19-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Why is the box misleading to a child? I'm suprised you even have to ask Tycho. Jedipartnr got it. The box shows about 100?;) figures on the box, and when he/she gets it home and opens it up, there's not going to be 1 figure to place on one of those pegs that don't hold figures. Heck it's better to be kept in the box, like JangoFart did

hango fett
10-19-2002, 12:55 PM
i got mine for 38.86 at a wal-mart. i bet they thought it was the gunship because that and the gunship were the exact same price! it is pretty cool! i have it on my desk at the moment...well, there is no more desk...just the arena and a bunch of jedi/droids.
h

Val Da Car
10-19-2002, 02:36 PM
Setup the Geonosian Arena and Jedi and it kicks some serious Butt!!!! Pic to be posted soon....

Need more Jedi..

Tycho
10-19-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by hango fett
i got mine for 38.86 at a wal-mart. i bet they thought it was the gunship because that and the gunship were the exact same price! it is pretty cool! i have it on my desk at the moment...well, there is no more desk...just the arena and a bunch of jedi/droids.
h

Both are supposed to be $38.86. That is the regular Wal*Mart price for each of these items.

At K-mart, the Arena is like $44 plus tax. I couldn't wait for mine to come from Walmart.com. That's the only reason I coughed up the extra $5 bucks to get it only about 2 days earlier than my shipment from Walmart arrived. To be sure, I could price match, or buy another from Walmart and return it with a K-mart receipt, but I'm just not that motivated over this small amount. I'm in the KB Toys Club and I'm saving a lot on my Star Wars stuff over there - besides, they're the only chain to be getting things in mostly (that and K-mart).