PDA

View Full Version : Michael Moore WANTS YOU**Everyone READ**

Bobdole
10-10-2002, 11:43 PM
Michael Moore needs everyones help in the NYC metro area and in the Southern CA area. THis movie is going to do big things and we need everyones help. Plus I want to see it make its way down to FL.

Wednesday, October 9th, 2002
My Film, "Bowling for Columbine," Opens This Friday

Dear friends, fans, and fellow evildoers:

I am very happy and excited to tell you that this Friday, October 11, my new film, "Bowling for Columbine," will open in New York and Los Angeles.

It is, I promise, the last thing the Bushies want projected on the movie screens across America this week. The film is, first and foremost, a devastating indictment of the violence that is done in our name for profit and power -- and no one, in all the advance screenings I have attended, has left the theatre with anything short of rage. I truly believe this film has the potential to rock the nation and get people energized to do something.

This is not good news for Junior and Company. Not when they are trying to drag us into another war. Not when a crazed sniper is exercising his constitutional right to own a high-powered rifle. Not when John Ashcroft is still prohibiting the FBI from looking through the gun background check files to see if any of the 19 hijackers or their associates purchased any weapons prior to 9/11 -- because THAT, we are told, would "violate" these terrorists' sacred Second Amendment rights!

Yes, I believe this movie can create a lot of havoc -- but I will need ALL of you to help me do this. Are you game?

Last February 5th, I wrote to tell you about a book I had written and how the publisher had decided to dump it because they were afraid to publish anything critical of Bush after 9/11. I appealed to you to save "Stupid White Men" from the shredder and to go out and buy it. I promised you would not regret it, and that the book would not only be a great read but an important organizing tool in gumming up the plans of George W. Bush.

Within 24 hours, the book went to #1 on the Amazon best seller list. By the fifth day, the book was already into its 9th printing. The publisher was torn between its desire to kill the book or make a wad of money. Greed won out, and this Sunday the book enters its 31st week on the New York Times best seller list -- and its 32nd printing. This is all because of you, my crazy and loyal friends. You made this happen, against all the odds.

Now I would like to ask you again to help me with my latest work, "Bowling for Columbine." It's a movie that many critics have already called my best film to date. They may be right. It is certainly the most provocative thing I have ever done. I have spent three years on it and, I have to say, it cuts deeper, harder and funnier that anything I have given you so far.

The movie opens this Friday in New York and Los Angeles, and then in 8 more cities next week. How it does in these first ten cities will determine whether or not the rest of the country gets to see it. That is the nutty way our films are released. If it doesn't have a big opening weekend, you can kiss the film good-bye. Therefore, this weekend, this film must be seen by millions of Americans. Can you help me make that happen?

"Bowling for Columbine" is not a film simply about guns or school shootings. That is only the starting point for my 2-hour journey into the dark soul of a country that is both victim and master of an enormous amount of violence, both at home and around the world. With this movie I have broadened my canvas to paint a portrait of our nation at the beginning of the 21st century, a nation that seems hell-bent on killing first and asking questions later. It is a movie about the state sponsored acts of violence and terrorism against our own poor, and how we have created a culture of fear that is based on the racial dilemma we continue to ignore. And it's a devastating comedy.

This film is going to upset some pretty big apple carts. No film has EVER said the things I am saying in "Bowling for Columbine." I expect to be attacked. I expect certain theatres will not show it for fear of retribution. I expect that this movie will be a bitter pill for many to swallow.

This is why I need your help. Movies live or die based on what happens at the box office the first weekend of its release. I need you, if you live in the New York or L.A. area, to go see "Bowling for Columbine" this Friday and Saturday -- and take as many family members and friends with you as possible. I guarantee you will not be disappointed -- and you may just see one of the best films of the year.

Monday night in Times Square, "Bowling for Columbine" had its premiere. The crowd was amazing, as it was this past Saturday night at the Chicago Film Festival. The audience kept laughing or hooting or applauding so loud throughout the film that it was hard to hear the next line.

The hate mail, the threats, the promises of retribution have already started to roll in to the distributor of this movie, United Artists. They are not backing down. But how long will this last? I need all of you in the New York tri-state and southern California areas to go see "Bowling for Columbine" THIS weekend -- the rest of you can see it in a couple of weeks when it comes to your town. A strong opening not only means that the rest of America will see this film, it means that a good number of people who see it are going to leave the film angry enough to get active and get involved. If it does poorly, I will have a difficult time finding the funding for the movie I want to make next -- a film about 9/11 and how Bush is using that tragic day as a cover for his right-wing agenda.

Don't let that happen. Don't let the NRA have one more success by stopping the wider distribution of this movie. And, together, let us not remain silent in our opposition to Bush's phony war against Iraq.

If you live in New York, you can see it at the Lincoln Plaza, the Sunshine and the Loews 19th St. In L.A., you can catch it at the Sunset 5, the Westwood Regent, Laemmle Sunset, Laemmle Towncenter (Encino), Landmark Rialto (Pasadena), and Regal University (Irvine). Also, please forward this to your other friends and tell them to go see "Bowling for Columbine" this weekend.

And finally, don't miss our new website www.bowlingforcolumbine.com

Thank you for your help with this. I feel so honored and privileged to have so many people interested in my work. Last January I was getting 70,000 hits a month on my website. Last month, I got 17 million hits. This alone speaks volumes about the vast majority all of us belong to who are sick and tired of what is going on and are longing for an alternative source of information.

I hope that you enjoy "Bowling for Columbine."

Thank you again...

Yours,
Michael Moore

Jedi Clint
10-10-2002, 11:54 PM
That sounds like a giant load of propaganda crap. Michael Moore wants me? Screw you Michael Moore :)

Beast
10-11-2002, 12:16 AM
I concur with the honorable delegate named Jedi Clint. Screw you Michael Moore. And the horse you road in on. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
10-11-2002, 03:15 AM
Michael Moore is great ! :)

I'm heading over to Michigan tomorrow to buy some "pet" rabbits from that crazy woman from Roger and Me ! :crazed:

QLD
10-11-2002, 03:18 AM
SCREW YOU REESE.....I MEAN MICHAEL MOORE!!!!

Take your propaganda elsewhere.

:)

2-1B
10-11-2002, 03:24 AM
What if Bobdole IS Michael Moore ? ? ? :eek:

Soon we will all be revealed in a muckraking documentary
called . . . . Bowling for SSG.

Beast
10-11-2002, 03:33 AM
SSG seems more like it would fit a soap opera format, most of the time. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
10-11-2002, 05:00 AM
The rabbit-murdering scene in "Roger & Me" really freaked me out, so graphic and so out of nowhere so you had no time to react. I suppose that could be considered what makes good art, something someone created that hits you with a subject that sets off an emotional response. But it's still a scene I actively avoid.

The Sunset 5 is only a few blocks from my mailbox place, who knows, maybe I'll go tomorrow or Saturday.

BTW, how come some of you label Moore's new film as "propaganda" yet when the current administration slammed us with those creepy "what if America wasn't America" ads, that got no response at all? I think far too many people out there are so quick to judge and so afraid to listen and above all too threatened to be tasked to think for themselves on anything that doesn't tow the party line.

Lord Malakite
10-11-2002, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
SSG seems more like it would fit a soap opera format, most of the time. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Alright JJB, quit dating my sister who is also your great grandma who was thought to be murdered by Caesar after confronting him for getting engaged to Bobdole behind her back! :D :crazed:

JediTricks
10-11-2002, 05:41 AM
Funny, I always saw these forums as another episode of the Crazy Old Man show, featuring the Crazy Old Man dancers.

old gray mare, she... ain't what she used ta be;
...ain't what she used ta be;
...ain't what she used ta be;
old gray mare, she...

Darth Nihilus
10-11-2002, 10:53 AM
How many people here have actually seen an episode of The Awful Truth? It amazes me that any organisation ever backs his efforts, he really takes it to the corporations and the authorities when it comes to their hypocrisies.

Also to come straight out and say that wants to slam Dubya and post 9/11 agenda is gutsy. He's not some loon spouting left-wing ideas for the sake of hearing his own voice. He does some cutting research and his views are well backed up.

If it ever makes it overseas I might just go see it for myself.

The Overlord Returns
10-11-2002, 11:11 AM
I've seen the film via the Toronto film festival.....

...quite frankly, any american concerned for their childrens future SHOULD see it.

vulcantouch
10-11-2002, 12:36 PM
. . . swaffy & i were just having an email correspondence about george 'throws like a girl' will (http://salon.com/books/feature/2002/10/03/will/print.html) and i mentioned that while i consistently find moore amusing (including his charlie rose interview a coupla nights ago; same show also featured said girl-thrower ;) ), after reading
http://www.salon.com/june97/media/media970606.html and
http://www.salon.com/july97/moore970703.html,
that's about as far as my regard for or trust in him goes. he's an entertaining hypocrite, nothing moore :evil:
vt

The Overlord Returns
10-11-2002, 12:53 PM
those articles sound like nothing more than a few men having a pi$$ing contest.........

El Chuxter
10-11-2002, 01:08 PM
I really want to see it this weekend, but--although I'm in southern CA, it's still a bit of a drive to any theater showing it, and this weekend's been pretty booked for over a month now. Sorry, Mr Moore. :( I loved Roger and Me, I like the parts of Stupid White Men I've read (I own it but haven't gotten to reading it in full yet), and I think Bush would be better off trying far the part of Big Brother in a musical based on Orwell's 1984. Next weekend, most likely.

Jedi Clint
10-11-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
BTW, how come some of you label Moore's new film as "propaganda" yet when the current administration slammed us with those creepy "what if America wasn't America" ads, that got no response at all? I think far too many people out there are so quick to judge and so afraid to listen and above all too threatened to be tasked to think for themselves on anything that doesn't tow the party line.

I didn't see anyone post a The current administration (that brought you the "what if America wasn't America" advertisements) WANTS YOU **Everyone READ** topic.

Roger Moore is absolutely not an unbiased entertainer. I won't pay Jerry Fallwell the price of movie ticket to listen to his slant on life for an hour and a half either.

I think for my children's sake ;), I will encourage everyone NOT to support Michael Moore, Jerry Fallwell, or anyone else I feel to be so obscenely sanctimonious.

JediTricks
10-12-2002, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
I didn't see anyone post a The current administration (that brought you the "what if America wasn't America" advertisements) WANTS YOU **Everyone READ** topic.

Roger Moore is absolutely not an unbiased entertainer. I won't pay Jerry Fallwell the price of movie ticket to listen to his slant on life for an hour and a half either.Nobody is an unbiased entertainer, but what does The Saint aka James Bond have to do with this discussion? He's not even American, for corn's sake! :D Now if you meant Michael Moore, then at least he's up-front about where he stands.

BTW, almost all of those "What if America wasn't America" ads were followed by recruitment ads for the various US military services. So someone in the administration did want you (the group "you"), and since they played these ads on nearly every network and cabler, the message did seem to be "everybody look".

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-12-2002, 11:17 PM
I agree Michael Moore can be a little loony but he drives his point home through his books, TV show (TV Nation) or movies. In general, Moore is a gadfly against The "status quo" "establishment" or "the man" or whatever you call the powers that be, who are corrupted by their power and their desire to stay entrenched into their own positions, that it is silly. We as public seem unwilling to question or challenge these positions, notions, people or whatever the subject.

Take his movie Roger and Me.

The film documented the arrogance, unkindness, and uncaringness the corporate world has displayed to it's fellow employees. GM was a company that made billions in money a year and yet they felt the need to close many plants in the U.S. so that they could set up shop in Mexico or some other nation and pay their workers a bare minimum wage. Moore wanted a chance to interview Roger Smith, the CEO of GM at the time, throughout the whole movie, but never got it.

We saw the drastic effects on the town of Flint MI, the exodus of GM caused. This is true for many of the 'rust belt' cities of the NE and Midwest that were once thriving cities that supported a major industry at a time but now are dying because of the flight of capital mainly due to factories and plants moving. Many of these coroporations and industries feel no obligation or loyalty to these cities that they have been in for decades. So they move it. Yet, these coroporations with their high-priced lobbyists are always knocking on the door of Congressmen in Washington lobbying for more tax cuts, claiming that they are in dire need of help.

Anyway I got a little off topic. Michael Moore may be a little hypocritical but you know what--we all have our hypocrises and I feel as long as you fight for the right causes--you are allowed a few. Or is that a hypocritical opinion?

Bowling for Columbine. Probably won't see it in the theatre but I'll see it sooner or later. I've seen previews of it on TV, the parts where if you open a loan with a bank in MI you get a free gun. Seems a nice social commentary on not just on guns, but how violence is ingrained in our culture.

Jedi Clint
10-13-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Nobody is an unbiased entertainer, but what does The Saint aka James Bond have to do with this discussion? He's not even American, for corn's sake! :D Now if you meant Michael Moore, then at least he's up-front about where he stands.

BTW, almost all of those "What if America wasn't America" ads were followed by recruitment ads for the various US military services. So someone in the administration did want you (the group "you"), and since they played these ads on nearly every network and cabler, the message did seem to be "everybody look".

Aw! You knew what I mean't ;)

LBC,

I watched "Roger and me". He might have sought to give Roger the opportunity to defend the decisions of GM, but he was clearly intent on painting the company in a negative way. Perhaps they deserved it. I don't think that the bottom line is more important than keeping jobs in the States. I won't pass judgement on them based on Roger's.....I mean Michael's word of honor. Bill Clinton has an impressive list of actions that quailify as a display of less than honorable conduct, but M.M. never wrote a book pen-lashing the smuck, or going after the media for their methodical leftist brainwashing of the public regarding the issue of abortion.

JediCole
10-14-2002, 03:00 PM
It is sadly ironic that so much of the initial reaction to the posting of Mr. Moore's entreaties were so negative. Yes, it is propaganda, in a sense. But certainly no more than that perpetuated by any party interested in getting out their message. However, Michael Moore does not have giants of industry, powerful lobbies, or huge interest groups that serve to blindly spout his propaganda. So in the end, one man's call for support seems somehow culpable or worthy of ridicule while that of massive groups is accepted by all as the status quo.

I will personally seek out this film as I feel that Michael Moore is one of the few Americans willing to go out on a limb and truly exercise his First Ammendment rights. And I would suggest that all who have enough faith in their own convictions to allow them to be challenged from time to time do likewise. I loose a lot of patience with people who are so sure of thier own views, yet refuse to expose themselves to any views that are counter, as if somehow thier own views would be erroeded. And finally, I would suggest that what is at work in this latest film and its apparent plight is that we seem all too willing to allow First Ammendment rights to be scuttled in favor of Second Ammendment rights.

Jedi Clint
10-14-2002, 05:25 PM
I have ample faith in my convictions. Based on the language and attitude of the statements in the initial post, I feel well founded in my appraisal of M.M. and his propaganda. I'm sure you'll agree that watching Moore's previous "film" is indicative of "exposing myself to views that are counter". I don't agree with his agenda, and as a result I chose to counter the opening "call to arms" with examples of my own credo. Poor li'l Mike. How dare I criticize him. :rolleyes: Are you trying to imply that anyone who dislikes Mike's tripe is incapable of thinking for themselves?

darthvyn
10-14-2002, 07:35 PM
i have thoroughly enjoyed his past ventures, and hope to catch this in the theaters... although i have the suspicion that nothing will really surprise me. well, maybe a free gun when you open a c.d. account at a bank surprised me a little.

but i had the same reaction (sort of) when i heard the actions taken after columbine - although bowling is substituted with trench coats, and "why didn't they blame it on bowling" is substitiuted with "they DID blame trenchcoats..."

i loved the fact that instead of saying once and for all that guns and the people that use them are responsible for death, it's TRENCHCOATS!!! they banned trenchcoats at the school, and many others, after the events at columbine...

so, they blamed trenchcoats - why DIDN'T they blame bowling? god forbid our precious guns get taken away from us - the king of england could come over and start pushing us around...

but of course with everyone yelling to go to war with iraq for dubious reasons, i guess we need our guns... otherwise some other country might do all the killing that we should rightfully do ourselves...