PDA

View Full Version : Cantina Bar Sets Wave 2

SirSteve
10-12-2002, 06:22 PM
I just added carded pictures of these. What do yout think of these new figures?

JangoFart
10-12-2002, 06:28 PM
Great scoop, SirSteve! That overlord place (or person) in Singapore always has the new stuff up first. I've never bought from them b/c the shipping prices are usually more than the figures :(

But, the figures look great! Wuher's clothing looks especially good - good use of shading and color; albeit perhaps a bit dark.

Any idea when are should see these stateside?

J

Beast
10-12-2002, 06:32 PM
They look great, alot better then the prototypes we saw just recently. The accent paint on Wuher does look a bit dark and heavy, but maybe it's not so bad in person. Can't wait for these to hit in Nov.-Dec. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-12-2002, 06:54 PM
Can't wait for these guys - I haven't gotten Greedo yet, but still can't wait! :)

The True Maul
10-12-2002, 07:33 PM
These look great, I can't wait to get them!!!:)

LTBasker
10-12-2002, 07:41 PM
Glad they didn't turn out to be customs. Anyone find it curious as to why they're on the other side of the card than the first wave was? Possibly hinting that the next ones could be curved pieces with shorter figures centered under'em? Loosely based theory but then again...

Turbowars
10-12-2002, 07:44 PM
I love them!!!!!!! Hasbro better shell out some curved sections, "or there will be hell to pay" How about if we get another 3 units, 1 with one of the two sisters, 1 with the other sister and then the last with the smoking dude. Then one last set with the pipes and junk. In my dreams right?????

Beast
10-12-2002, 07:53 PM
I don't think a third assortment with curved sections is impossible. But having the Tonnika Sisters in there will be, since Hasbro has said numerous times that rights issues prevent those charecters ever from being made for the foreseeable future. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
10-12-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I don't think a third assortment with curved sections is impossible. But having the Tonnika Sisters in there will be, since Hasbro has said numerous times that rights issues prevent those charecters ever from being made for the foreseeable future. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks You know JJB, I think the RIGHTS issue is BS. If it was true, then all actors that showed their face in SW would be getting money. I heard that all the actors signed a contract that all film and photos are property of Lucas Film, so Hasbro could do it. If it is true then change their faces a little.

Beast
10-12-2002, 08:25 PM
Not all actors. It's just mostly the Cantina Patrons that didn't sign over likeness rights. Lucas at the time never imagined the possibility that minor background charecters would have products made for them. So he signed the main cast, and the secondary cast. Supposedly the women that played the Tonnika Sisters either flatly refused when Hasbro asked for their likeness rights.

Or they asked for such a insane price, that Hasbro would never agree anyway. This is the same thing that prevents McFarlane from doing a Movie Maniac figure of Regan from The Exorcist. They approched Linda Blair, and she wanted an insane sum for her likeness. 1 million dollars, if I recall correctly. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Old Fossil
10-12-2002, 08:54 PM
I have to admit that these look pretty darn good. Might actually get these three. They look much better than the prototypes we saw earlier, as Binks said.

AmanaMatt
10-12-2002, 09:57 PM
These do look great; I am very happy with all three, especially the preying mantis one (blanking on the name). With this quality, I say bring on some more!

thespar
10-12-2002, 10:56 PM
all look nice

Wolfwood319
10-13-2002, 01:11 AM
Better than wave 1. I'll pick up the Doc and the Mantis if I see them. I'll pass on Wuher, already got the first one, and the differences don't look that..uh..different.

As for the Tonnika sisters; they can make the figures, they just can't look like the actresses, right? Well, hell, they have yet to make a Luke figure look like Hamill, so I don't really see a problem if they don't look like the actresses.

Rogue II
10-13-2002, 06:14 AM
These are pretty nice. Hey, Dr. Evazan comes with a blaster.

Does anyone else find it funny that Kitik comes with 3 glasses, but lacks the hands to hold them with? I know, they are for other patrons. Kitik is also a bit bigger than I thought she(?) would be.

187-Maul
10-13-2002, 07:51 AM
these sets look great!
a lot better then the first wave since these are mostly new sculpts (and I don't have the first wuher) so I'll probably buy all three of them
good work hasbro

Turbowars
10-13-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
these sets look great!
a lot better then the first wave since these are mostly new sculpts (and I don't have the first wuher) so I'll probably buy all three of them
good work hasbro Hey 187, the 1st wave had a bit new/improved sculpts and truer paint jobs than their counterparts, but yes this 2nd wave looks like Hasbro nailed it!! I just hope they keep comming.

Turbowars
10-13-2002, 08:58 AM
Not all actors. It's just mostly the Cantina Patrons that didn't sign over likeness rights. Lucas at the time never imagined the possibility that minor background charecters would have products made for them. So he signed the main cast, and the secondary cast. Supposedly the women that played the Tonnika Sisters either flatly refused when Hasbro asked for their likeness rights.

Or they asked for such a insane price, that Hasbro would never agree anyway. This is the same thing that prevents McFarlane from doing a Movie Maniac figure of Regan from The Exorcist. They approched Linda Blair, and she wanted an insane sum for her likeness. 1 million dollars, if I recall correctly. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks Man JJB, what was GL thinking when he didn't have every single person sign. Is there anyway around it? Like changing their faces?

Beast
10-13-2002, 09:22 AM
There are ways around it, but it's going to be tough. If the figure card uses a picture of the movie charecters, then the two ladies can always argue that while the figure doesn't look like them, it's clearly meant to be them.

The best thing that Hasbro could do, is talk to Lucas into replacing the original actresses in the future "Archival Edition" of ANH. Just grab a couple Lucasfilm interns, throw them in the same outfits and digitally insert them into the scene.

They could also base the charecters on their comic counterparts, and use their alternative names. They would have to alter the features, and make them as a quasi-EU figure to get around the two ladies possible complaints. In the end it's as much trouble as paying off the two actresses. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
10-13-2002, 10:07 AM
There are ways around it, but it's going to be tough. If the figure card uses a picture of the movie charecters, then the two ladies can always argue that while the figure doesn't look like them, it's clearly meant to be them.

The best thing that Hasbro could do, is talk to Lucas into replacing the original actresses in the future "Archival Edition" of ANH. Just grab a couple Lucasfilm interns, throw them in the same outfits and digitally insert them into the scene.

They could also base the charecters on their comic counterparts, and use their alternative names. They would have to alter the features, and make them as a quasi-EU figure to get around the two ladies possible complaints. In the end it's as much trouble as paying off the two actresses. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

That's an awful lot of work for 2 figures, especially for such minor characters. I would like figures of the sisters, but I believe Hasbro when they said these figures would never be made.

Originally posted by turbowars

Man JJB, what was GL thinking when he didn't have every single person sign. [/b]

No one knew how big the film was going to be, let alone the figures. How many other films do you know that all of the extras get action figures?

Turbowars
10-13-2002, 10:56 AM
Why have Bo-Shek sign and not the sisters? Forget it it does matter anyways.

Rogue II
10-13-2002, 11:03 AM
Who knows. But Hasbro did make an awesome action figure for him.

Is there any rumors of a possible Cantina Bar Set Wave 3?

Turbowars
10-13-2002, 11:15 AM
I haven't heard anything about it, but I have been talking alot about them. I love these sets and I think Hasbro can do alot with them, if they focus on detail. Just think, they could make the curved sections, the inner bar w/ pipes and what not, tables with chairs for Greedo and Han, heck theres tons of stuff!

Rogue II
10-13-2002, 11:27 AM
Those would be cool. We can only hope. I know there have been a few ideas like that in other threads.

My fear is that they will cut these short after Wave 2. They really need to at least finish off the curved section. The center bar would be great. Anything after that is a huge Bonus.

Turbowars
10-13-2002, 11:35 AM
I guess if wave 2 is the end, then, I guess it was just to show case one side of the bar, or it's time for customizers to get started.LOL

Beast
10-13-2002, 11:45 AM
I think we'll see a third set. Hell, they may sell well enough that they start doing things like this as regular releases. When the Star Tours figures first were announced, there was only the 1 set to start. Then a second set was announced. And now we have a third set coming. I see the same thing happening with the Cantina Sets.

Atleast I hope anyway. It seems that Hasbro likes to give Wal-Mart exclusives more then any of the other stores. Hopefully that relationship will continue, since you can atleast easily find the Wal-Mart exclusives. I still can't find the damn TRU Landspeeder. And don't get me started on the FAO shuttle. :p

As for why the actor that played Bo Shek signed, and the sisters didn't. I think it's more the case that they approched the actor and he was happy to sign over his likeness rights without trying to get a pretty penny out of Hasbro. I'm sure he loves the fact that he's been imortalized in plastic. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
10-13-2002, 11:57 AM
That sounds about right with Bo-Shek. I guess he's not a money hungry Gold digger like the sisters.

Rogue II
10-13-2002, 02:21 PM
I wonder what the chances are of Hasbro doing something similar to for either the Death Star, Jabba's throne room, or a Rebel Base.

mark2d2
10-13-2002, 07:18 PM
Nice.

Miss K. is wayyyyyyyy bigger than I imagined which is very cool in my book. She'll sure look great in the cantina. And the other figures are both significant improvements. (Heck, I loved the first three though, so perhaps I am a bit too easy to please, I dunno.

My only real beef is that I wish this time around they reversed the glasses. Two short and one tall would have been nice. Oh, well . . . it's certainly no biggie.

I do so hope for a third wave. Curved pieces would sure be sweet! C'mon Hasbro, don't fail me now. You've given us both sides, don't leave us hanging!

carnifexold1eye
10-13-2002, 08:06 PM
These look so much better then the first set! Now all we need are curved pieces to connect everything together.

Sinister Lord
10-13-2002, 10:37 PM
Kitik is the only one I will buy. I already have versions of Wuher and Dr. Evazan. No need for a resulpt on those guys, those are just a waste of my time.

Old Fossil
10-14-2002, 08:24 AM
Maybe with possible future waves we could see Hem Dazon, Bom Vimdin, and the one-eyed Abyssin...Myo(?).

evenflow
10-14-2002, 08:28 AM
These figures look pretty cool. I am happy with them. I would like to see a third assortment still, witht he curved pieces. I think that Hem Dazon and Givins should be included.

Death Star Gimp
10-14-2002, 02:39 PM
The pictures I've seen aren't that clear but they do look quite good. I passed on the first set, but on the strength of these products I might have a re-think. If they do a third wave then they would make an excellent set.

And yes I would like the same to be done for other scenes i.e Moff Tarkins meeting room with Darth Vader, Grand Moff himself and perhaps General Tagge or Colonel Wulf Yularen.

Jargo
10-14-2002, 03:47 PM
I like Evazan, I think the body on Kitik is great but the skirt is rubbish. Wuher looks a bit dirty but at least he isn't holding a tupperware container anymore. How come Evazan gets a gun and Ponda doesn't? Odd. I'll buy all three in fact I already pre-ordered thaem on the strength of the mock up shots from a couple of wekks back. Evazan is just a repainted head unfortunately but it does go some way toward making him look a little more like Alfie Curtis the guy who played him. If hasbro don't have the rights to his likeness then that's why they used that sculpt originally I guess.

More similarly packed sets would be nice. Someone mentioned the alcoves which would be cool, half an alcove packed with each figure. maybe the alcoves would be smaller than they should be but who cares as long as it's an alcove? Then make a mini playset with exclusive figure that all the pieces connect to. have the center of the bar and the curved section at the end be part of the playset and the striaight sections with base and all would click into spaces left for them and the alcove pieces would click into the outer edges. Voila! sectional playeseet number one completed thank you very much. :) If only I worked for hasbro.......

SirSteve
10-14-2002, 04:20 PM
I added more/better quality images of these. Check the news article.

Turbowars
10-14-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I think the body on Kitik is great but the skirt is rubbish.
.. What? You think the Skirt is rubbish? That's what it looks like in all the OT film photos. What do yo want, a EU Kitik, with kicking action? Man....

Jargo
10-14-2002, 06:28 PM
Nononononono, In the still shots from the movie it looks like a cloth balloon, like the rear end of the B'omarr monk in fact, not loose at all. The sculpt here is all billowy and loose and there's way too much paint applied so it looks ten times more pronounced. I don't totally dislike it, I just think there was no need in a figure that just stands there to sculpt a skirt all blowing around. :) I want it bad though. I ordered without seeing the carded pics, just the bad quality sample shots without the blister. It looked interesting enough. Different enough to warrant paying out a higher price than i normally would for a figure to get it.

Kicking action? God forbid....... :eek:

Turbowars
10-14-2002, 06:47 PM
LOL, Hey I just looked at the new photos and I see what you mean Jargo. The paint is too heavy and the skirt seems to be blowing in the wind. Oh well, at least we are getting her!;)

Jargo
10-15-2002, 04:55 AM
Threw together this Evazan comparison pic. Same head new paint job. Looks meaner though. :) his legs look a million times better. his arms are still the same.

Jargo
10-15-2002, 04:58 AM
and did the same for Wuher, this one is a massive improvement on the vanilla fanclub version. Apart from the dirty hands which hopefully will not be dirty in the production version. The dirty tunic just seems to have more depth to it. Looks less like butterscotch ice cream now. :)

brentfett
10-15-2002, 11:29 PM
Am I the only one who is very disappointed that the second wave of these things has the same bar pieces and same backdrop? (minus the drawn-on Wuher on the first three). I feel like I wasted my money getting the first three pieces, because the second three have way better figures. And there's no way I'm gonna string all six together. I mean, how LONG is this bar supposed to be? They severely flubbed on this. Anybody out there want to trade the second series when they arrive for the first three?:frus: :rolleyes:

Turbowars
10-15-2002, 11:53 PM
Yeah right, good luck! Just wait for the Curved sections and you will stop crying!

Jargo
10-16-2002, 07:05 PM
I have a theory about the way Hasbro has been releasing the cantina aliens. Might be wrong in places but for the most part it rings true. Ignoring re-releases and using a plain list of all the chartacters from the cantina released to date:

Luke
Ben Kenobi
C-3PO
R2-D2
Han Solo
Chewbacca
Wuher
Nabrun Leids
Ponda Baba
Dr. Evazan
Kabe
Bo'Shek
Kitik Keed'Kak
Labria
Djas Puhr
Takeel
Cantina band member
Muftak
Lak Sivrak
Ketwol
Ellors Madak
Greedo

They all come from the one side of the bar or the end of the bar. The right side as you look from the entrance. Not one character from the left side of the bar where:

Danz Borin
Leesub Sirin
Senni Tonnika
Brea Tonnika
Garouf Lafoe
Yerka Mig

Are seated or stood.
The right side of the bar is where the majority of the aliens are seated. So going by this we can disregard any of those above from the left side and hope to see:

Melas
Dice Ibegon
Hem Dazon
Bom Vimdim
Brainee
Kelton
Elis Helrot
Miiyoom Onith
Feltipern Trevag
Myo
Trinto Duaba
Solomahal
Reegesk
Kelton
Dannik Jerikko
Rycar Ryjerd
Saitor Kal Fas
Hrchek Kal Fas
Bannis Keeg

My argument may be flawed but it has something to it. Most of the cantina figures we've got are from one side of the bar only.
I don't really care if we never see the damn Tonnika sisters, I'd rather get the aliens anyway. Much more interesting. Just thought I'd share this as I couldn't sleep last night I stared at the ceiling pondering this. I just wondered if anyone else had come to the same conclusion.

Turbowars
10-16-2002, 07:28 PM
Man Jargo, you must of really not been able to sleep! I have never thought of your theory and I don't want to (I like to sleep;)), but it may or may not hold water. I guess we will see in the end.

Jargo
10-26-2002, 08:02 AM
Damn, just noticed that I listed Kelton twice. Also forgot Zutton but since Zutton is from the holiday special cantina he's not really an ANH cantina patron and doesn't qualify.
Also since the other thread seems to have been deleted I'll reiterate here that i think the best way to get the cantina finished with the center of the bar and the curved end is to release a playset that the bar sections just slot into. We'll have six straight sections which is about the length of the bar so if the playset floor is hollowed the bar sections clic into place making a seamless chunky solid playset base. The bar end at the rear could be included although technically it's a room back there but i'd accept a wall instead. that would give some stability to the center bar piece and give the bar sections something to butt up to. Plus if the roof of the bar was attached, the piece that matches the shape of the bar and has the lighting in it, that's be pretty cool. Enough to be accurate without obscuring anything.
The other end the curved piece is part of the floor section. The addition of alcoves would make the cost of the set go up so even if they weren't included the set would still look pretty cool, add a pack in figure and I think it would make a fairly attractive piece for those wanting to complete their bar. Perhaps then hasbro could release a seperate alcove piece that could be reversed and fit both sides of the bar. The alcoves are the same both ends with larger corner booths. Then the only piece missing is the entrance that they could perhaps release as a mini playset with R2 and 3PO together and a better detailed droid detector with electronics. Just a light up front panel with one sound effect. I mean all there is in the entrance is a couple of seats, the detector, a couple of glasses and the light fitting in the dome.
I realise that this would be expensive. I also realise that hasbro aren't going to do it. They don't make playsets well, they don't make accurate playsets and instead choose innaccuracy with added stupidity in design like adding non scene elements or the obligatory missile firing cannon and flipping floor sections that never work. If they stopped and just thought about this it would be so easy to do. The way i suggest for the main bar is the most logical solution. What's the point of just having the bar and nop cantina? Yet to complete the cantina is a doddle. Three new sets is all it would take, one you buy two of. They'll never make the cantina as a whole item so why not do it in stages. Each section is small enough to move many units of as far as retail goes. The most boring section is the entrance so include the two figures and it's a winner. The alcoves could include a figure too, make it one of the helmetted spacemen or a semi version of the Tonnika sisters. Whatever it takes this scene should be done considering it's one of the most iconoclastic images of cinema history, one of the most enduring scenes from the entire saga.

droidekas2
10-26-2002, 01:15 PM
Jargo, youre ideas are fabulous. Finishing the cantina set with at the very least , the curved sections and the middle distillery is a NO BRAINER. How could they not do it??
But this is Hasblow we are talking about. It makes to much sense and the fans are clamoring for it so I would bet that it wont happen. I dont want to get my hope up of actually having an awesome cantina made by Hasbro.
Your logic for the release of the aliens from the left and right side is very good, but to think that Hasbro would put that much thought behind it...

I guess we can always keep our fingers crossed.

mark2d2
10-26-2002, 04:38 PM
Indeed Jargo does have some fantastic ideas.

I adore these cantina sets. The first wave is quite the conversation piece on my desk at work . . . The second wave looks to be quite awesome.

Hopefully, the third wave will throw us a "curve" or two if you get my drift.

And I'm all for the waves to keep on coming. Love Jargo's idea. Simply fantastic. But realistically, why can't they do a booth or two? Just look at the new Trash Compactor packs! A booth would be so simple! Unless they went with my "electric light candle idea" (drool......)

Beast
10-26-2002, 05:16 PM
Since Hasbro loves giving us main charecters, they could do a Cantina Booth Screen Scene. Han and Chewbaccca in one set. And then Luke and an Obi-Wan with cloth robes and cloak that can sit in the other set. Sure it would be another Luke Tatooine, but they could throw in his Poncho, since we still need that version of his outfit. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
10-26-2002, 06:48 PM
there was a whole thread about curved sections a bit ago. the ideas arn't new. Anyways I don't believe we will see another wave, only because Hasbro likes to pull crap like that.

Beast
10-26-2002, 06:56 PM
Thats what people were saying about Star Tours also, and there were 3 waves of that. There was also originally only 1 wave of Cantina Sets announced, but we got a second wave of those. :)

Plus Galactic Hunter also says that there may be a possible third wave in the works. So we'll see how thinks work out. After all, most people didn't expect a second wave of accessory sets either, but those are apperantly happening. :)

If the second wave sells as well, or better then the first. Then why wouldn't hasbro produce a 3rd wave? The first wave is sold out in some areas. And the second wave is better then the 1st. I think it's a tad early to state that Hasbro won't do somthing. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
10-26-2002, 07:09 PM
It's not early at all! look what they did with the 12" Bounty Hunters. They give us 2 and then 3? years later we are getting the other 3, oh wait we are only getting 2 because hasbro wants to make more $ with the 12" Leia and pack her with a crappy Carb Han .

Beast
10-26-2002, 07:23 PM
Years later? IG-88, Bossk, and 4-Lom were released at the very end of 2000. Dengar and Zuckess are starting to hit now, so I would hardly call that years. Besides, Princess Leia: Boushh Disguise isn't a Bounty Hunter anyway. And she didn't appear in the outfit in Empire Strikes Back.

If you'll notice, most 12" Assortments contain figures from the same movie. Not to mention Leia has been released already once, so it's better she's an exclusive anyway. Plus she's not any more expensive then the basic non-exclusive 12" figures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
10-26-2002, 07:26 PM
What ever JJB, I guess I should have said 2 years and said Oh JJB you are the best. LOL;)