PDA

View Full Version : Luke - "Our only hope"

Freedom
10-13-2002, 09:13 PM
1) If Luke was the only hope, why didn't Obi-Wan or Yoda train him when he was younger?
2) Why didn't they change Luke's last name? Couldn't Vader have just looked up Skywalker in the intergalactic phone book?
3) Why didn't they train Lea when she was younger. Why was she a princess anyway? Is bail the same as a king? Padme is no longer a queen.
I could understand Yoda and Obi-Wan giving them to "parents" to care for them as babies. When they got a certain age, why didn't they take over responsibility?
Would Vader or Palpatine sense the Force being used in their training. If so why didn't Vader ever find Obi-Wan? He supposedly used the Force to survive on Tatooine, right?

It just seems like to me, if somone is your last hope, you would utilize him as soon as possible.

We all know the real reason. In 1977 it was risky to have a child be the star of a feature movie, and I don't think Lucas intended for Luke and Lea to be sibblings in the beginning hence all the incest.

Pendo
10-14-2002, 03:54 PM
Some tricky questions there. I'll see what I can come up with :rolleyes::).

Originally posted by Freedom
1) If Luke was the only hope, why didn't Obi-Wan or Yoda train him when he was younger?

Vader may have been searching for Jedi in training at that time. They may not have wanted to risk training him incase Vader fouond him and killed him. Vader would probably have sensed him using the force or something.

Another reason is Yoda's quote: "He is not ready." They must have been waiting until Luke is ready until they begin to train him.

2) Why didn't they change Luke's last name? Couldn't Vader have just looked up Skywalker in the intergalactic phone book?

Maybe Vader didn't know he had a son until after ANH. He wouldn't have been searching for him. Or perhaps he thought he was dead, Dooku may have been set out to kill the children, only to have been killed himself before the task was done. Palpatine and Vader probably persumed that Dooku completed his mission.

Parhaps it was also a request from Padmé, to keep the Skywalker spirit alive.

Or maybe they wanted vader to find out that Luke WAS his son so that it could be used against him to help him turn back to the light side.

3) Why didn't they train Lea when she was younger. Why was she a princess anyway? Is bail the same as a king? Padme is no longer a queen.

This is the easiest question to answer. THEY ARE ALL SEXIST :rolleyes:!! I don't think Leia was trained when she was young for the same reasons as Luke wasn't trained. Mainly to keep her a secret and waiting until she was ready. I think also they wanted to train the stronger out of the two, which would give them more chance of defeating Vader. Luke must of had a higher midi-chlorian count than Leia.
Bail Organa is not King of Alderaan, he is the Viceroy and First Chairman of the Royal House of Alderaan which makes him a royal, which would make his children royal too, which is why Leia is known as Princess :).

I could understand Yoda and Obi-Wan giving them to "parents" to care for them as babies. When they got a certain age, why didn't they take over responsibility?

Probably again, Luke and Leia were not ready. It was probably also for their protection. Another way to look at it, Luke and Leia were happy where they were, you can't just go up to someone and say "You can't live with them anymore, you have to come with me" :rolleyes:.

We all know the real reason. In 1977 it was risky to have a child be the star of a feature movie, and I don't think Lucas intended for Luke and Lea to be sibblings in the beginning hence all the incest.

Well apparently the whole story was written before he started ANH. If this is true he probably would have know they were Brother and Sister to begin with. Perhaps he thought it was going to get changed, or he may even have written it in at the last minute. But I think he knew from the beginning. Perhaps he has Luke and Leia kissing in it because he's one of those weirdos that is turned on by incest :sur::eek::crazed::rolleyes:;)!!!

PENDO!

chewie
10-15-2002, 12:39 PM
I'll give a response to question #1.

Obi Wan and Yoda took a different stance when training Luke because of how the Jedi order failed to see the increasing power of the dark side of the force. They wanted to go about training Luke in a different manner in hopes that it would undo what all those training under the original Jedi code failed to see.

Training at an older age, plus allowing Luke to make his own decisions and opinions were things that were not allowed and did not happen in the old Jedi training regime. It was these choices that gave Luke enough foresight to keep himself alive and make enough rash decisions to beat Vader and Palpatine.

A Jedi of the old order would most likely have gone "by the book" and wound up dead. As Vader and Palpatine already knew all the Jedi tricks of the past.

I'm guessing Lucas intended the old Jedi order to be much like the Spartans of Greece. The strict life regime of the Spartans from such a young age did not allow for free thought or action. Their ways brought them great power, and they eventually came to rule over all of Greece. And that is what eventually brought the rest of the Greek city-states down upon Sparta which revolted against them and destroyed them. The Spartans were too.. spartan for their own good. They could not fight differently, they could not think differently. Its the old addage of evolve or die taken to the extreme. The same happened to the stuffy old Jedi.

The Overlord Returns
10-15-2002, 12:49 PM
They couldn't go training the kid RIGHT after all the terrible stuff went down. The emperor and Vader would have sensed them, and hunted them down. They wait for 18 years, and they are both thought long dead....Vader does NOT know he has children. So any tremor in the force they might feel would be shrugged off as a force sensitive person who will NEVER be able to learn the ways of the force.