PDA

View Full Version : Why wasnt it done right the first time?

aikman
10-14-2002, 03:29 PM
A rumor from Ask Adam:

For 2003, Hasbro will be releasing-- it seems-- revised versions of Episode II vehicles....[edit]... and the Jedi Starfighter will include the Hyperdrive Ring.

Now this is my problem with hasbro.

They initially release obi.
Then they release his ship.
Then they package them both together and release that.
Then they add something to the ship and re- re- release it (Something that should have been there from the get go)

Why do they keep rereleasing the same items?
Why do they make a change or repaint or add an exclusive pack in?

Because they believe most of us are idiots and will buy everything (in some cases -everything 3 times)

LTBasker
10-14-2002, 03:46 PM
Actually the ship came first, the Obi figure that should've been a pack-in for it came later on.

Only way they could really justify this after KB's picking up the Vehicle w/ pack-ins exclusive re-releases is if they took out the gimmicks and put in the back landing gear along with possibly removeable panels on the back for a cargo area and the ring could interact with that and the earlier version (just for kicks).

It could stay just a rumor and if they ever made the hyperdrive ring they would probably make it seperate since it's big enough already. They'd really have no reason to revise the ships except maybe for Zam's speeder, making it more accurate inside and taking away the blast-apart panels along with a Pilot Zam that can actually lay in there like she should.

Jargo
10-14-2002, 03:53 PM
It makes sense for Slave-1 to be re-released in the ESB colors using the superior AOTC sculpt of the vehicle. The vintage one was great for its day but very lacking in sharp detail and the rear was a pain to keep in place and not a good fit. Using the Saga Slave-1 sculpt and adding a new paint deco and maybe altering the gimmicks a little to allow for an opening cargo hold in the rear would be cool. Even if they just repaint it as is and shove it out I'll buy that just to get the cool sculpt for Boba Fett.

Why re-release things? money, that's what they want. :)

DarthBrandon
10-14-2002, 03:57 PM
I hear what you are saying aikman, many things are being re- re- released, and I for one do not buy into that crap. The Jedi Starfighter I bought one and that's it, I'm not going to fork out another $29.99 for one with a pilot and then another $29.99 for one with the Hyperdrive Ring. I didn't even like the pilot version enough to buy it on it's own. Many figures I'm sad to say will get passed up by others and myself, just due to the fact that they have been over done (resculpted) so many times. The Cantina sets are for the most part resculpts that I already have with the exception of Wuher and Kitik, I may buy Greedo as I am making a custom Jedi out of him in the future so I will need two of him. As for the others (except Wuher and Kitik) I don't need them and I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the deluxe Clone Trooper with Speederbike to spend my money on. Out of the numerous figures coming out in the future as well as the new and improved resculpts, I will only be buying the selected few that I like. I know that new collectors just starting will buy up the things that I do not want or what we old guys already have and do not need. In closing I would like to say bring on some NEW stuff Hasbro and stop resculpting Anakin, Darth Maul, Mace, JANGO :eek: , and give us some more generic figures that most of us really want.:D

Battle Droid
10-14-2002, 05:13 PM
It's simple, money, Hasbro is greedy.

Turbowars
10-14-2002, 06:53 PM
Hasbro is like a Gold Digging girlfriend, they suck up to you with something great, then turn their back and rob you blind, well maybe not blind. Hasbro has put me in the poor house many times with their re-dues.

Beast
10-14-2002, 07:08 PM
The hyperdrive ring was a late addition to the movie, after Hasbro already had the current toy costed and sculpted. Remeber what kind of a lead time we are talking about in toys, figures take around 10 months from concept to shelf. Now when the movie is still being worked on in those 10 months, inconsistances can occur in the first waves of the line. It's the same reason the gunships didn't come with the gunner bubbles, they were added late to the film. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
10-14-2002, 07:15 PM
That's no excuse, they could always release it by it's self or with the KB Exclusive.

Hopefully the re-released Gunship will be the Cargo Gunship.

Turbowars
10-14-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
The hyperdrive ring was a late addition to the movie, after Hasbro already had the current toy costed and sculpted. Remeber what kind of a lead time we are talking about in toys, figures take around 10 months from concept to shelf. Now when the movie is still being worked on in those 10 months, inconsistances can occur in the first waves of the line. It's the same reason the gunships didn't come with the gunner bubbles, they were added late to the film. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks JJB, I have a hard time believeing that the Gunships guns were added late to the film, only because the Gun Ship has molded cut-outs and brackets for them. They were planned all along, IMO

DarthBrandon
10-14-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
JJB, I have a hard time believeing that the Gunships guns were added late to the film, only because the Gun Ship has molded cut-outs and brackets for them. They were planned all along, IMO

Much agreed with turbowars on this one, it's just an excuse to make more money. If it weren’t planned then the cut-out brackets would not be there. As for the Jedi Starfighter, they could have released the Hyperdrive Ring as a pack in with the Obi-Wan Pilot in a larger bubble or as an exclusive in an accessory set or something along those lines. The fact is I'm getting real tired of re-re-sculpts as they will only hurt the line as people will grow tired and wise up to what Hasbro is doing. They need to focus on things that haven't been done i.e. Ships, generic characters, deluxe items along the lines of the Clone Trooper/Nexu and not ones like the rehashed figures in the Cantina sets. If they wanted to do these, then they should have released characters that were scarce and not yet produced. i.e. (Wuher and Kitik) plus many others that have been mentioned before by others.

And please don't tell me it's about making money guys, we already know that, they (Hasbro) need new ideas with characters that need to be made not ones that have been made five or six times or even some that have been made once or twice before. I'm still waiting for Captain Antilles, Imperial Officers (Ozzel) and General Madine etc.
:)

Beast
10-14-2002, 08:20 PM
Modifying the ship to include attachments points wouldn't increase the price of the product. Delaying the product and including the bubbles would have. It's even confirmed on the official site that the bubbles were a last minute addition to the ships in the film. Remeber, the gunship had more time for changes, since it wasn't realeased in April. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Prince Xizor
10-14-2002, 08:56 PM
So if they released the bubbles seperately (The pilot doesn't count) why can't they release the damn Hyperdrive ring seperately. And don't tell me its because they didn't have time to put brackets on the Starfighter for it. They could make a Ring that fits to the already released Fighter. Greedy Bastards....

Turbowars
10-14-2002, 09:46 PM
Modifying the ship to include attachments points wouldn't increase the price of the product. Delaying the product and including the bubbles would have. It's even confirmed on the official site that the bubbles were a last minute addition to the ships in the film. Remeber, the gunship had more time for changes, since it wasn't realeased in April. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks So you are telling me that it doesn't cost more money to retool a $10,000 mold? You know it doesn't matter, forget it.;)

LTBasker
10-15-2002, 12:14 AM
Theres a significant difference between the tiny bubbles on the side of the Gunship and the hyperdrive ring. It's been said by Hasbro that tools for making vehicles are quite expensive, especially new ones. Most likely a good amount above the cost of what the tiny little bubbles cost to make.

Think about this for a second, the pilots with the bubbles were originally supposed to be deluxes because the pilots were supposed to go inside the bubble, trying to keep with the scale they have the gunship in, they modified them to be in scale with the gunship but still enjoyable, hence why they can stand seperately and the Pilot Clone can sit on them. Now think about it, to get two pilots to fill a Gunship they'll be around $10, at least at Wal-Mart, but if they were deluxe figures, it'd be double! Sounds more like Hasbro saved us money there.

The hyperdrive ring why it most likely has not been made is because since it was such a late addition to the film that they already had 2002 planned out which works alot differently than just adding/canceling stuff at will. We've got the gunship, arena set, the TRU exclusives, Target exclusives, Wal-Mart exclusives, all the figures coming out, especially around Christmas and to make the Hyperdrive ring even close to being near accurate from the movie it would probably have to be Gunship size. $40 for a simple accessory to a ship when you've got alot of other stuff to buy? Sorry but they have to worry about how it'll sale on the shelves just being a simple accessory to the Starfighter because if it doesn't sell well, stuff could get canceled. We might see it eventually, like in 2003 or 2004, but doubtful that it'll be anytime soon.

Why did I just defend Hasbro? :confused: :eek:

aikman
10-15-2002, 08:18 AM
Bottom line is I paid $40 for the gunship (incomplete without bubbles).
and another $30 ish for an incomplete starfighter.

If I wanted to (I dont) I could also get a redone landspeeder, a slightly resculpted 12" hoth luke (how many of these do I have!)and tauntaun.
Plus several rehashed cantina patrons, no thanks Hasbro....

Beast
10-15-2002, 09:21 AM
Exactly, if you don't want it....don't buy it. Simple as that. But why complain so vocally about it, when other people do. Most of the people on these boards like the things that your complaining about. Especially the Landspeeder and more accurate cantina patrons. Be honest, have you ever been happy with anything that Hasbro has ever done? It doesn't seem like it.

I suppose since your complaining about the gunship not having the bubbles, that you wouldn't have purchased the yellow pilots when they came out anway? Since they are a Gunship pilot, they are technically an accessory to the ship, just like the bubbles. So shouldn't you start complaining that they should have included the bubbles and the troopers and jacked the price up $10? :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Prince Xizor
10-15-2002, 10:03 AM
Is there anything else that was added late to the movie besides the Ring and the bubbles?

aikman
10-15-2002, 10:21 AM
I like many things hasbro has put out, but I have many issues with repaints,repackages, and prices that they charge.

As far as Im concerned, the gunship is already jacked up too high but I bought it anyway like many people do.

Im vocalizing my opinions about the things hasbro does because
a) I like to vent
b) I like hearing if others feel the same way

I wouldnt come here if I didnt collect the toys.
In my opinion I think far too many people here and collecting community in general BUY EVERYTHING no matter how high the price or how small the modification. I find it interesting to hear them as well.

JEDIpartner
10-15-2002, 10:26 AM
Probably... but it's quite evident there were a load of things removed from the film at the last minute...

- Massiffs on Geonosis
- Dooku fighting with TWO sabers

...just to name a couple!

LTBasker
10-15-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by aikman
and another $30 ish for an incomplete starfighter.

It's only $20 though in the U.S., where the heck did you buy it for 30 something? If you bought it for above 20, then it's not Hasbro you should be mad at, but rather yourself considering they were quite easy to find throughout April and a little later. Unless you meant 20 something, well it's a good deal for $20 considering it's an all new vehicle and such.

So shouldn't you start complaining that they should have included the bubbles and the troopers and jacked the price up $10?

And just think, if they had been deluxe, it'd be $20. Quite a savings difference. The gunship seems to be a bargain for $40, considering the size of it and how much stuff it can hold.

Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
but it's quite evident there were a load of things removed from the film at the last minute...

- Massiffs on Geonosis
- Dooku fighting with TWO sabers

...just to name a couple!

Let's see, there was also:
-Anakin with force grab blaster in peasant gear
-3PO with attachable coverings
-R2's different looking bugs
-Yoda's platform (most likely since it was seen breifly from the top in film it was meant to have some purpose)
-Deluxe Yoda fighting SBD
-Battle Droid figures were cream instead of red

aikman
10-15-2002, 12:50 PM
re:
And just think, if they had been deluxe, it'd be $20. Quite a savings difference. The gunship seems to be a bargain for $40, considering the size of it and how much stuff it can hold.

tirade:
Savings? There is no way on earth anyone could convince me hasbro has saved me money in any way, the fig and bubble should have been included in the vehicle!

I got the jedi ship at kaybee(i know) when it was the preview vehicle 8 months ago.

All the ships are steep. Those Xwings and powerfx ones are way higher than they should be. Gijoe prices arent this high and you get way more value, and plastic

Beast
10-15-2002, 01:03 PM
You can't compare Star Wars and G.I. Joe. Hasbro owns the G.I. Joe franchise, so people come to them if they want to make comics or TV shows about the charecters. Star Wars is owned by George Lucas, so they have to pay him for the rights to the Universe, Charecters, and everything else from the movies. If Hasbro was licensing G.I. Joe from another company, you can bet the prices would be higher. And you don't get anymore plastic from G.I. Joe then you do Star Wars, thats just silly. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

aikman
10-15-2002, 01:05 PM
Ok how about this hulk marvel legends , same price as padme amidala, no difference in plastic there?

Beast
10-15-2002, 01:12 PM
Toy Biz is owned, or atleast partially owned by Marvel. So again, the comparison isn't going to work. Besides, you do realize how much Hasbro paid Lucas for the rights to Star Wars license when it came back up for renew. If you want the bubbles and the troopers included, I'm sure if you wait a they will package the Gunship up with 2 Troopers and the Bubbles for a future exclusive. Atleast Hasbro didn't raise the price of the Gunship, just to include the bubbles and pilots at the last minute. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

aikman
10-15-2002, 01:18 PM
So your saying its the consumers fault that they paid too much for the license? And that the consumer is the one that deserves to overpay as well?

And yes Im sure they will re package and re release a better version later, which gets back to my original point...

Beast
10-15-2002, 01:27 PM
No, thats not my point. Hasbro is in business to make money. *GASP* Now I know that's a shock, how could any business want to actually make money. Infact, you should just work for free also, since people shouldn't have to pay you for offering products and services, should they. ;) :D

As for the re-packaging thing, So what? If you already have the original release, and 2 Pilots, then you won't need to rebuy the later exclusive. You already have everything that will be included. That's like complaining you bought the KB exclusive Jedi Starfighter and Obi-Wan, even though you had the regular versions.

There is no difference, other then the packaging. It's not like Hasbro is forcing anyone to buy this stuff. Occassional re-issues of vehicles is fine. Atleast they don't reissue every figure and vehicle over and over again, like Kenner did in the Vintage days. So things could be alot worse then they are. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

aikman
10-15-2002, 01:45 PM
Obviously they want to make money, but how much is too much?

How much money can you justify these figures are a value for at retail? $4.99? $7.99 ? $15?

Especially when u take into account the sheer volume of these that are made , what 400 or so different figs ?

Plus you have the builders that buy obscene numbers of the same figures.

They dont need to be as expensive as they are, someone is raking in the dough.

The problem I have with the repackages are that Id much rather buy them compelte (obi/ship/ring) in one box. But when I get each individually (time and expense ) and then they offer them all together 2 months later it gets tired. Especially if they modify it and add something new to the original .

How many people bought the atst and speeder bike individually just to have them get re released again but with an 'exclusive ewok figure'.

Anyone wanna trade me? Ill take the new figure , but I'm not buying those vehicles again just to get him?

Beast
10-15-2002, 01:53 PM
The discussion about how much is to much is rediculous. Sure hasbro makes a nice ammount of cash on each figure, what toy company doesn't. But they do have to pay employee wages, sculptors, graphic artists, etc. etc. etc. The price isn't all about the plastic and paint involved you know. ;) :D

The AT-ST was released in 1995, that was 7 years ago. Plus it was the very first vehicle discontinued. I don't see a huge problem with them re-releasing a vehicle that many people didn't buy back in '95. Plus they gave it an Endor paintjob on the legs, where as the '95 version has rusted legs, like it had been in the snow to long. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
10-15-2002, 02:49 PM
There are several reasons why, none of wich are becasue Hasbro thinks we are morons. First of all some people do and will buy every item even if it's the same. As long as the package is different they'll buy this. This group of people isn't large enough for Hasbro to re-package these items so that reason is no good. Toy companies love repainting the same toy and selling it as a new one. Just think about it for a minute. They make more money off of re-packages or re-deco items than they do off of first run items. They charge the same, but the cost is lower becsaue they didn't have to make the tools for the new decoed item. Finally, Hasbro has realized a couple of differt things with the Saga series. They can leave a few things off of certain things to make them cheaper, thus more people are able to afford them. On the other hand (the hand that Hasbo rakes in the money with) people have to buy multiple items to complete the items. Like haveing to buy Pilot Obi Wan to get the dish. Or the Clone Pilot to have the buble guns or the delux sets to complete the Arena.

So, as you can see it's all about $$$ :greedy:, but they are a lot more sneeky than just makeing us buy the same item in a differnt package.

Prince Xizor
10-15-2002, 03:09 PM
If they did re-release the Gunship with the bubbles and pilot as a store exclusive, what do you think the price of that would be? I would say $47 to $50 is fair.

aikman
10-15-2002, 03:15 PM
Im just out of touch I guess.
I remember the old days, ships cost 15-30 bucks.

I thought a fair price for the potf AT-AT was $50, and that blows away the gunship, but that was in the $80 range (until everyplace blew it out)

Beast
10-15-2002, 03:26 PM
You do realize how inflation works, right? 15-30 bucks then (1982), is equivelent to around 25-50 dollars now. You can't compare prices from 20 years ago. It's rediculous to assume that inflation wouldn't effect the price.

The AT-AT was $54.99 when it was released in 1981. The POTF2 version was $79.99. And it features additional electronics over the Vintage version. According to the inflation calculator, $54.99 in 1981 money, is equel to $90.58 in 1997 money. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
10-15-2002, 05:50 PM
I would have loved to buy a Gunship with 2 Pilots and guns! I would have paid $60 or so. It's to hard to hunt things down sometimes, but I must say it kind of fun.

bigbarada
10-15-2002, 08:41 PM
It's funny how Hasbro has dropped the prices of the figures to below what they cost in 1995 and only $1 more than what they cost in 1983 and people still complain about them costing too much.

Same with the vehicles, the Gunship has more features and is larger than the Millenium Falcon and costs $10 less than the Falcon did in 95, and is equal the price of the Imperial Shuttle from 1984. The Gunship is an amazing value for it's size. Especially since we are getting a new Shuttle with no features or electronics for the price of four Gunships.

And it is stupid and pointless to complain about the prices not matching what they were in the 80s, inflation drives everything up. Heck you could buy a nice sports car in 1970 for under $5000. Nowadays, good luck getting a decent one for under $30K.

Remember when gas was less than $0.50 per gallon and bread cost about $0.35 per loaf? Inflation is a *****!:p

aikman
10-16-2002, 08:23 AM
Well, I thought the falcon was too much in 95, and I think anyone that buys the shuttle is getting rolled (especially if you consider most ordered it sight unseen )

JEDIpartner
10-16-2002, 10:04 AM
I agree with the fact that some members neglect to include cost of living and inflation as factors in the the price increases. In all honesty, the price of figures having gone from $1.79 in 1978 to $4.99 in 2002 is an amazingly small jump. Yes... the price of the ships HAS gone up and they are quite expensive. I can remember saving up Birthday and Christmas money to buy the Millennium Falcon in the Spring of 1979. It was priced at $34.99 at Zayre's Discount Store, but they had it on sale for $29.99 for a weekend. I remember what a big deal that was back then. $29.99 for a toy in 1979 was a load of cash! Now come the gripes of the Gunship being priced at $39.99 and not having the bubble turrets or not being movie accurate. Personally... I don't see the price nor the exclusion of the bubbles as a problem. I think that $39.99 is a fair price for a toy of this calibre. After all... let's compare that to other "luxury" items: a hardbound book- $25.00; 3 compact discs $35 - $45.00; 1 DVD (not on sale) $24.99 - $29.99. It doesn't really seem so bad, does it?

I think the real problem with re-issues are those concerns voiced by the OC or IB collectors. They collect the box variations, not just the toy. For me... this is not a problem. I just get the toy that is released and I am done with it. I am not made to buy a second one if it contains all of the pieces I purchased individually, nor am I made to buy them if they include something extra. I have the choice. OC and IB completists, unfortunately, tend to purchase ALL the variations in packaging and design. This DOES create a problem for them, for which I can sympathise. I do not, however, agree with the statement that vehicle reissues are a waste since there are a lot of vehicles I, and many others, missed out on due to personal economic reasons. Hasblah has been very good about reissuing certain vehicles in different detail motifs: AT-ST (Hoth and Endor); X-Wing (Dagobah and power FX); etc. I don't feel the need to buy one of every version that comes out as it does not serve me to do so. I don't begrudge anyone who does, but I am glad that I got a shot at having the vehicle at all (thanks to the reissue/redesign).

It is true that Hasblah should not reissue a vehicle so close to its original release date as the rumoured Delta-7 with Hyperdrive Ring. They should wait, as they have with the AT-ST and the X-Wing and the new sculpt of the Landspeeder as well as the Snowspeeder... just to put a little distance between the "original" and the reissue so there is a place/need in the market for such an item.

As far as the price for the Tyderium, I DO think that is a little steep. If you have the cash for it... go for it. If they do not plan on making very many of them, the price is justified as it is on ANY limited release item. There isn't as much money to be made on the quantity, so up goes the price. It's simple economics... and I was TERRIBLE in economics and I, for as much of simp as I am, can understand this! ;)

aikman
10-16-2002, 10:18 AM
So since the shuttle is 'limited edition ultra rare' the price is sky high. I dont like this trend then.

What next?
Special limited edition serially numbered figures? Ultra short packed 1 anikin per case figures?

I collect them cause I like them, not for investment level quantities...

JEDIpartner
10-16-2002, 10:55 AM
That's really not what I was saying...

In order to produce an item with X% profit they must decide what that price will be per unit in order to establish that retail price. Since they are figuring that this ship is so large and won't sell very many of them (based on the "full price" sales of similar units- i.e. the Royal Starship) they are only making X number of units so they are not stuck with the remainder to take a "hit" on. This is why the price is so high. I'm not saying that you have to like it... it's just simple High School Economics based on a basic Supply and Demand model.

I don't collect them for, what you referred to as "investment level quantities" either. That's why I didn't even think twice about NOT buying this. i don't really feel like I'm losing out on a whole heck of a lot here.

...so I AGREE WITH YOU!!! Cheer up! :D

JEDIpartner
10-16-2002, 11:03 AM
Special limited edition serially numbered figures? Ultra short packed 1 anikin per case figures?

Actually... you aren't that far off! The secondary market value is based on these types of occurances. this is why you see places like Brian's Toys selling certain figures for $20 even though they are new! This is why a VINYL CAPE JAWA is more expensive than the HOODED CLOAK JAWA. It was rarer. If you found the original vinyl cape version on the pegs in 1978... you paid $1.79. If you found the second version on the pegs... you paid $1.79. The same holds true for the "half-circle" Boba Fett's from a few years back. Those are more expensive than the "full-circle" versions. Both versions could be found on the pegs at the same price, but the secondary market caused the price on the "half-circle" version to exceed the "full-circle" version. It's kinda sad... but you can blame that sort of thing on the OC and Variation collectors... ;)

aikman
10-16-2002, 12:21 PM
RE
...so I AGREE WITH YOU!!! Cheer up!

I was making a statement, it wasnt directed at you, be less defensive

bigbarada
10-16-2002, 12:27 PM
I agree that the Falcon was overpriced at $50, the AT-AT's price of $90 was ridiculous. The Shuttle's $125 price tag is akin to highway robbery.;)

What's worse about those three vehicles is that Hasbro didn't spend a dime on prototypes and molds. They simply inhereted them when they bought out Kenner. The Gunship is a vehicle that they sculpted and designed completely from scratch and is cheaper than those vehicles. Somehow Hasbro's explanations of mold and prototype costs don't make any sense anymore.

I'm not too concerned about the Jedi Starfighter, since I haven't gotten around to buying one yet. I hope that they get rid of the lame-o attack mode when they include it with the Hyperspace Ring. Then I will consider buying one.:)

aikman
10-16-2002, 12:35 PM
Variations IE bloody luke will always fetch a premium. That im not concerned with, but when they start limiting certain figures (for the collector market) then I will be ****ed. Hence my hatred of exclusives.

A similiar example is the re released he-man figs a few years back. Put in copies of thier original packaging but limited for the collector and jacked up in price.

In addition though, its not neccesarily up to inflation, its more up to what the market will bear. How many dewbacks were rotting on the shelves here (I counted 40). Why? Because they were too expensive (it doesnt matter if it was on par with its inflation adjusted value) . I see 20- 12" luke /taun (re release/re paint) rotting now. Those have gone up to han was 49 if I recall. BNow they are 60 ish. They are pricing themselves out of the market...

aikman
10-16-2002, 12:43 PM
AT-AT $90
Power fx xwing $50
Shuttle $120
luke taun 12" $60
12" dewback $80

These prices were ridiculous in my view.
I blame :
hasbro -for paying too much for the license

fans -for buying things no matter what the cost

ask yourself, have you bought any star wars items that were 'too much' but bit the bullet anyway, I know I have but im changing ...

corporal AMF
10-17-2002, 12:45 AM
I pay $27 for a R2D2 and holo leia....................
I know it's the same figure as R2 naboo escape, but in that moment I got tempted

Turbowars
10-17-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by corporal AMF
I pay $27 for a R2D2 and holo leia....................
I know it's the same figure as R2 naboo escape, but in that moment I got tempted R2 w/ holo leia (way better) is different than R2 Naboo escape.

bigbarada
10-17-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
R2 w/ holo leia (way better) is different than R2 Naboo escape.

I second that.

Artoo Naboo Escape features:
3 points of articulation (head, shoulders)
wheels in his feet

Artoo w/holo Leia features:
7 points of articulation (third leg, all three feet, shoulders, head)
Retractable third Leg
cool holofoil stickers for some of his paint detail
a little "holographic" Leia
Commtech Chip
"light-up" eye (the same eye as the other Artoos before, but the Naboo escape version doesn't have it)

You're right about all those prices, aikman, they are ridiculous. I think you might be on to something with the statement that the completists are to blame for the overpriced premium items. Most completists don't seem to think about the long term consequences of their "buy everything" mentality. My question is this, what happens when you get everything? What are you going to do with it all?

Donate it to a museum? Psshaw! You and a thousand other collectors, and what museum would want it?

Give it to your kids? Noble, but most kids will simply destroy everything. People rarely value things they don't have to work for, especially kids.

Turbowars
10-17-2002, 08:18 PM
I second all of the above!!!!

JEDIpartner
10-18-2002, 08:04 AM
I'm going to have them all melted down and poured into my coffin with me. :evil:

NO ONE is going to get me toys... NO ONE!!!!!!

LTBasker
10-18-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I think you might be on to something with the statement that the completists are to blame for the overpriced premium items. Most completists don't seem to think about the long term consequences of their "buy everything" mentality. My question is this, what happens when you get everything? What are you going to do with it all?

Donate it to a museum? Psshaw! You and a thousand other collectors, and what museum would want it?

Give it to your kids? Noble, but most kids will simply destroy everything. People rarely value things they don't have to work for, especially kids.

Well actually I figure I'd enjoy my collection for the rest of my life. When the toys stop coming, it doesn't mean I have to stop loving, and what happens to it when I die, well if I have kids then I hope they enjoy their play even if they break the stuff. They are toys afterall, but then again I hope that if I had kids I'd be able to teach them better than to take something like that for granted. ;)

I know alot of people are "ooh ooh, gotta buy this then complain about it being overpriced!" but not completists are like that, we either wait, or consider our collection complete without it. Being a completist doesn't mean you have to get everything single wether you like it or not, but rather the complete set that you want, although unfortunately some people just don't realize that.

One other reasons exclusives and higherpriced items hardly work is scalpers. They usually buy up all exclusives they can and the minute the higherpriced items start to go down, there they are.
Then when they can't sell them, and collectors have gotten the item eitherway, the scalpers return the items and nobody wants to buy them so they just sit and show they're bad sellers when really they were great sellers.

hasbro -for paying too much for the license

Well they have to pay for the license, otherwise if they had gotten it cheaply they may have been on thin ice with LucasFilm or they may have just not gotten it and Mattel would've gotten it and given us 6" figures as a standard with gimmicks all around.

Actually alot of exclusive prices aren't Hasbro's faults, it's the stores' fault. Like FAO, $125 for an Imp Shuttle? Ha, it probably cost them half of that to buy them. IIRC, I heard about the Target B-wing being like $25 for Target to order, and then they pushed them up. If anyone needs to lose anything it's Target that needs to lose the ability to get SW exclusives. All they use it for is to get people in the store, not giving a fig about the collectors who are after them. I think they rely more on the scalper/hoarder community.

2-1B
10-19-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I'm going to have them all melted down and poured into my coffin with me. :evil:

NO ONE is going to get me toys... NO ONE!!!!!!

I'll do you one better and say I'm being cremated and having my melted toys mixed into my urn ! :crazed:

You fellas are all nuts - $90 AT-ATs ?
I recall paying less than $80 at Wal-Mart. :D