PDA

View Full Version : Green A-wing!

SirSteve
10-14-2002, 05:14 PM
Check it out HERE (http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=539) !

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-14-2002, 05:29 PM
Pretty cool, pretty cool, of course it'd be even cooler if it's a new Arvel Crynid or the black guy for the pilot figure. Where did you get the pics from, SirSteve?

JangoFart
10-14-2002, 05:45 PM
Another great scoop, SirSteve!! Vehicle looks great; can't really make out the pilot all that well.

Keep 'em coming!

J

fourtwo
10-14-2002, 05:48 PM
looks nice. hope it makes its way to the great white north, i think it will look swell next to the X-wing i have on hold at work

badtaste
10-14-2002, 05:49 PM
I don't get it, where is it in the movie? haven't seen it. Why is it green?
????

Battle Droid
10-14-2002, 06:10 PM
Don't tell me, it's an exclusive in a store not near me.

stad
10-14-2002, 06:14 PM
Let's not start griping about it yet, at least until we know something.

sicqnus
10-14-2002, 06:35 PM
Great toy. Same look as the Action Fleet "Green Leader" !!! Hope the pilot will have a new mold.

Jedi Drew
10-14-2002, 06:46 PM
Looks good, but I need to see it in person to make my final opinion. :eek: :eek: I hope it has a pack in figure.

Jargo
10-14-2002, 07:15 PM
well I've got mine on order already. As far as I know it's a UK exclusive. :)

It has the ordinary common or garden variety A-wing pilot I think. This version takes the color scheme seen on the squadron colors action fleet version. There were no green ones in the movie they were all red but this is a nice change from the ordinary. A completely new paint application. The only difference in this and the action fleet one is a mirrored rebel sigil. The AF one had just one sigil on the left 'wing'. Cool isn't in it though. A hot collectible if ever I saw one. :)

Turbowars
10-14-2002, 07:18 PM
It sure will look good in a window box. The green is a nice added touch if I say so myself.;)

Battle Droid
10-14-2002, 07:19 PM
UK exclusive!?!?!?! :frus: :frus: :frus:

Jedi Drew
10-14-2002, 08:07 PM
Battle Droid you beat me to the punch..:eek: I was gonna ask the same thing. ;) ;)

Beast
10-14-2002, 08:13 PM
Don't worry Battle Droid. I don't think we need to worry about it being UK only. Target will probably have it or somthing next year. It looks pretty cool though, I'd definatly buy one for my collection. If it's true that no green ones appear in the movie, I wonder what pictures they will use on the box. A cheapy photo-shop job, or is there actually a background model that wasn't scene well on camera? :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
10-14-2002, 09:39 PM
If it's a Target exclusive I still can't get it, not even on line, cause I don't think they put thier exclusives on thier online site.

Prince Xizor
10-14-2002, 09:52 PM
Didn't I mention that there was a new A-Wing coming out like 3 weeks ago? This was SO my scoop! :D :p

thespar
10-14-2002, 10:51 PM
i might have to see about picking one. just starting to get into the vechiles.

Beast
10-14-2002, 11:04 PM
Now the big question will be, will the pack-in be a correct version of Arvel Crynid (aka Green Leader). That would be a nice addition, and it wouldn't be that hard to do. Just remold the POTF2 version from the Cinema Scene in Green instead, give him a different accurate head, and finally give him the correct helmet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Thunderstorm1
10-14-2002, 11:12 PM
I still want to know why we can't seem to get some new vehicles instead of re issues. I mean how many X-Wings, Starfighters, Slave I, or A-Wings do we need? How about a Sith Infiltrator, AT TE, Republic Assault Ship. Come on Hasbro give us something NEW!!!!!!!!!

Beast
10-14-2002, 11:21 PM
Well, lets see. We've gotten the Tie Bomber, Republic Gunship, Slave 1 (AOTC's), Zam Wessel's Speeder, and Anakin's (stolen) Speeder. We also have Anakin's (Owen's) Swoop, and Count Dooku's Speeder coming early next year. We're also getting the Tyderium Shuttle, which is new since we haven't gotten one since the vintage days.

So we are getting alot of new stuff in comparison to re-issued ships. We also have the Geonosian Fighter, HailFire Droid, and rumors of the AT-TE and Twin Pod Cloud Car coming next year. Along with a re-painted Slave 1 in it's ESB colors.

So a few re-issues, especially if the improve upon the original versions is great. It's not like you're being forced to buy them. The Landspeeder was totally redesigned to make it more movie accurate, and is a wonderful toy. The X-Wing is a bit ho-hum, but it's still better then the 1995 version. Plus remember that there hasn't been an A-Wing at retail since 1997. 6 years later for a re-issue with a new paintjob isn't that bad. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Thunderstorm1
10-14-2002, 11:25 PM
I see your point Jar Jar, I am looking forward to the Hail Fire Droid myself. Dooku's speeder will be cool also.

Do you know if there is any world on Padme's Cruiser or Senate Cruiser? Not sure of the name!

Beast
10-14-2002, 11:33 PM
You mean the small one that Anakin and Padme go to Tatooine in? That's the Queen's Yacht, from what I remember correctly. No word yet on it being done, but you never know. If you mean the Senatorial Barge from the beginning of the movie, I don't think that will ever be made. Stores won't support such large ships, thanks to the failure of the Queen's Royal Starship from the E1 line. :(

http://starwars.com/databank/starship/nabooyacht/index.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
10-15-2002, 01:22 AM
Not bad, I hope it's not too expensive. I grabbed my POTF2 A-wing for $10 during the TRU clearances and while it's a fun toy, they didn't engineer it all that greatly and so I hope this one is built alot better than that one was. Maybe the pilot will come with something to put in the cargo hold (the vintage mold had that as a battery compartment) kinda like the new X-wing came with the rations and such.

I really hope they don't use the Arvel mold from the Rebel pilots pack, that would really be screwed up considering his Y-wing fatigues. Wonder if this is a move to keep younger kids interested in the line, considering it looks a little more GI Joeish and would probably be more attractive to kids than a movie paintjob of plain and white for a ship you hardly see.

Beast
10-15-2002, 01:32 AM
Yeah, your right LTB. The Arvel from the Cinema Scene is a Y-Wing. It's hard to find decent pictures of the different pilot uniforms. They could always use the POTF2 body, and give him different legs and arms. Then finally add a correct head and removable helmet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
10-15-2002, 05:51 AM
Price onnthis baby is 27.99 which would translate as the price of the dagobah x-wing I think. Rough estimate only. I did a comparison shot of the action fleet version and this new one just for those who've never even heard of the action fleet squadron colors. There's a really nice design on the tail finnials of the AF one that I hope gets translated to the larger version. It's a circle with a big lightning bolt going through it all in black. Looks cool. :cool:

Beast
10-15-2002, 06:10 AM
Yep, according to the Currency Calculator I just ran the numbers thru it comes out to 43.42 U.S. A bit expensive, but remember that Jargo is ordering it from a secondary market source, I believe. Plus things are generally more expensive in the UK, which sucks. :(

The Landspeeder thru the same site converts to $31.07, so it's about 10.00 more over there for the vehicles. Whatever store in the US that gets these it should be around $30.00. If it turns out UK exclusive, I guess I'll have to hook Jargo up with some US exclusives. Like the Screen Scenes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mightywhelk
10-15-2002, 06:56 AM
Jargo, where have you pre-ordered it from?

kdp100
10-15-2002, 09:41 AM
This link should take you there - http://www.scifiwarehouse.com/acatalog/FPHS_Vehicles_35.html

I *think* it's a new online shopping service from the Forbidden Planet chain, but I'd never heard of this site before, either!

Strangely enough, the London FP has still got several of the 1997 red A-wings warming its shelves. . .

The Overlord Returns
10-15-2002, 11:28 AM
Re-paintastic!

Jayspawn
10-15-2002, 12:14 PM
I don't think it'll be a UK exclusive. I think Hasbro would screw a lot of people over that way...well you never know. Aqnyways, I think it looks good. I wish you could make out the pilot.

"Bring it on Hasbro!!!"

LTBasker
10-15-2002, 12:42 PM
Only problem I've really got on this is Hasbro using the Galoob paintjob to resale the A-wing while they're badly handling the Action Fleet line. I like the Awing, it's just, the way they brought the Action Fleet line... :(

If it's $30 I think I'll wait awhile to get it, since it's just got a new paintjob I think it could've been more like $25 or something, it being more expensive than the new Slave 1 is really kinda sad.

evenflow
10-15-2002, 01:35 PM
I hope to pick it up, but only if it has a new pilot.

Bib Forlobster
10-15-2002, 05:55 PM
Is the green A-wing anywhere in the EU?

I'm kind of hoping that this doesn't do well. I'm afraid that if it does, then Hasbro will start releasing ships with different colors not even in the Star Wars universe just to rehash old product.
I think (not positive, so don't attack) they did something similiar to the 80's G.I. Joe line when that died out the first time. I seem to remember re-hashes of the vehicles coming out with really bright neon colors and tiger stripes and stuff just to try and resell something old. What's to stop them from making a blue one next year, etc. This is the kind of thing I'd expect to see in 2008 when the line is nearing it's end. Too early now.

Don't get me wrong, I think it actually looks nice, but I could never bring myself to buy one when I remember how TRU had shelves full of them for $5.00 each two years ago. I could paint one green myself. The only thing that would make this more appealing would be a good, new sculpt of a pilot.

Beast
10-15-2002, 06:15 PM
The green A-Wing is supposed to be Green Leader's A-Wing, but his A-Wing is never shown well in ROTJ. I'm sure that the paint scheme was used on one of the models, and I think there are pictures of it in one of the books. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Prince Xizor
10-15-2002, 06:20 PM
So then it would make sense for the pack-in figure to be Green Leader, right?

bigbarada
10-15-2002, 09:21 PM
The green A-Wings weren't in ROTJ, their existence is strictly EU. The pilot from the picture appears to be the red B-Wing Pilot from the Rebel Pilots Cinema Scene (Hasbro misnamed him Arvel Crynyd, even though he is wearing a B-Wing Pilot outfit with a Y-Wing Pilot helmet - the Y-Wing Pilots in ROTJ wore grey, baggy flightsuits).

Jargo
10-15-2002, 09:32 PM
The A-wings were originally blue and white-ish gray but the blue would have caused technical problems with the bluescreen filming technique of the time so they went with the red instead. just red.

BB is right about the red Cinema scen pilot being in there. I don't mind that as it saves me a bundle trying to get more pilots and helmets. Perhaps they'll redo his flight suit color too? Find out in December won't we.... :)

Adam
10-15-2002, 09:50 PM
Wow! This is pretty ironic, as I was thinking to myself at the dallas comicon a couple of days ago that I would buy an A-Wing if they released it again. Hope it gets released in the states..

Battle Droid
10-15-2002, 10:00 PM
Any chance it'll have the electronics re-instalded?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-15-2002, 11:23 PM
There would be no point in just releasing this in the UK. I don't know about the ratio of collectors in the US to the UK, but i'd assume combine the two, there are ALOT of us. Hasbro is greedy corporation, more availability=more profit. Plus, why just release it in the UK? cause it would cause scalpers in the UK to sell it on ebay for huge prices and thus, they'd be making more than hasbro would (well, for that one vehicle, but you catch my drift). At least, it better not just be a UK exclusive, cause anybody who wants to chip in for a paddle boat, we leave in the morning. :D

mightywhelk
10-16-2002, 05:31 AM
It's refreshing to hear that it may be a UK only exclusive as this doesn't happen often, however I don't see the point of exclusives. Every product should be made available to everyone, everywhere. Greater availability means more profits for Hasbro, surely?

I'll step down from my soap box now.

bigbarada
10-16-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Battle Droid
Any chance it'll have the electronics re-instalded?

That (or a completely resculpted Pilot) would be the only reasons I could see for buying one of these. It's funny that this vehicle is getting relreleased, since you can still get them at many online stores for less than their original $25 retail price. I've seen them at Brian's Toys for as low as $12 loose. At that price you could just repaint it with whatever colors you want.:)

The Overlord Returns
10-16-2002, 01:41 PM
I assume the UK esclusiveness comes from the fact that the original a wing was never released there?

I've got 2 of the originals...it's an alright ship.....not worth $30...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-16-2002, 02:13 PM
So, it's official then? This is an UK only release then, Overlord?? Just curious if any more facts had popped up on this. thanks!

The Overlord Returns
10-16-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
So, it's official then? This is an UK only release then, Overlord?? Just curious if any more facts had popped up on this. thanks!

Noooooooo.............

I'm saying IF it's a uk exclusive...I think that is the reason why.......

...sorry for the confusion.

Jargo
10-16-2002, 03:18 PM
I just asked the question at the online chat with Nick Rabin but it was carefully avoided. Maybe they'll answer the question at a later date on the HasbroJedi site. So still none the wiser.

This is the blurb that accompanies the ship at the moment which leads me to believe that it's not a US release too:

Diamond UK.
Star Wars A Wing Vehicle
Previously only available to a USA retailer this exciting Star Wars vehicle is now available to you! The vehicle is scaled to fit the Star Wars 3 inch figures. The craft includes a figure. The quantity of this vehicle is very
limited. Available December, SRP 27.99.

If it was going to be available in the States you would have heard about it by now from e-tailers like Entertainment Earth and Brian's Toys.

Beast
10-16-2002, 03:32 PM
I don't know about that Jargo. Brian's Toys and Entertainment Earth don't have pre-order info up for the Exclusive SandCrawler, Wal-Mart Screen Scenes, or anything else that's exclusive for end of 2002/ early 2003. I hope that it's available in some manner over here. Especially since Hasbro is trying to make US exclusives available in the UK. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
10-23-2002, 04:59 AM
It looks like Wal-Mart here in the U.S. will have the Green Leader A-Wing. According to an E-mail that Darth Trymybestus received from R2dtoys.com, they list it as a Wal-Mart Exclusive. Cool, now I don't have to worry so much about picking this one up in trade from the UK. Here's a link. :cool: :D

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15376

GalacticHunter.com also posted somemore news about the A-Wing, including a new picture of the vehicle. It looks damn cool, but the pilot definatly does appear to be a remolded, retooled, and repainted Y-Wing pilot from the Cinema Scene. :( By the way, they list it as a Target exclusive. Now, I'm more inclined to believe Galactic Hunter over R2dtoys.com, but I hope it's Wal-mart. :)

http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=270&zoneid=2

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
10-23-2002, 07:29 AM
Okay, I admit I was a little hasty in my assumption. No matter, my order is safe. :) I like the look of the pilot BTW, better to get a removable helmet repainted Cinema scene pilot than the original version re-issued I say. Very nice ship, very nice...

Beast
10-23-2002, 09:41 AM
I agree Jargo, I'm loving this ship. I'm not sure, but I may like it better then the first version. Just somthing about the paint job and the detailing that's been added that just seems to scream "cool". :cool: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
10-23-2002, 10:11 AM
Did you look at the pilot sitting in the cockpit in the picture Jar Jar posted? It doesn't look like the one that came with the POTF2 A-Wing. It looks more like one of the cinema scenes pilots.

Beast
10-23-2002, 10:27 AM
Yep, I said above that it appears to be the Cinema Scene Y-Wing figure, molded in green plastic. Finding a full body picture of the A-Wing Pilot uniform is a real pain, but the photos that I have found have confirmed that the helmet is wrong. Not sure about the uniform, as all I can find are headshots of Green Leader and a couple other A-Wing pilots. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
10-23-2002, 02:36 PM
Anyone dare ask the Jedi council at the OS? :rolleyes:

Agreed, definately a better color scheme in green and grey. Although the red at least ties into the republic colors. Which is an odd choice considering that lavender was used in the senate because it's the only non aggressive color common to all species. So why did the republic 'peacekeeper' Jedi order use red? If lavender is peaceful then it means the Jedi were aggresive which they can't be according to lore. Continuity cockups again.

back to the point...

Did you spot the design on the rear fins? same as the action fleet version - black lightning flash through a circle. Very cool indded.

Darth Vellner
10-23-2002, 04:13 PM
Maybe Hasbro knows something we don't....

Sometimes SW toys come out and we are like..whats this??like the "platform" that came with yoda,Dooku came with 2 lightsabers,Clone Speederbike,White Battledroids...Ect...
ALL that stuff was in the movie at one time But it was cut out...

Maybe George is ADDING GREEN A-Wings to the Archive Edition of ROTJ We don't know??? BUT maybe they DO???!!??

stad
10-23-2002, 06:41 PM
Just as long as he digitally adds Jar Jar to the original trilogy...

Battle Droid
10-23-2002, 07:02 PM
WOOHOO, Wal-Mart thank God!

It better not be Target, I'll have no chance to get it, they don't even put the exclusives on thier website.

Old Fossil
10-23-2002, 09:53 PM
Hey, this ship is cute. I may actually have to buy this one. Wish there were a close-up of the Pilot.

Sean the Hutt
10-24-2002, 01:38 AM
I might be in Canada...when does it come out? I will trade a U.K.'er a red one for a green one!

bigbarada
10-24-2002, 01:57 AM
I'll buy just cuz it's an A-Wing, but I still like the red paint scheme much better. The pilot is the wrong shade of green though (just like the POTF2 pack-in version of the pilot).

The A-Wing Pilots in the film are something of a conundrum, in the Rebel Briefing room scene they appear to all be wearing a green version of the B-Wing Pilot outfit and carrying the Y-Wing pilot helmets. Even in that scene there is little uniformity from one pilot to the next. In the model made by ILM, the pilot is wearing pretty much the exact outfit seen on the vintage action figure. However, in the actually scenes from the Death Star II Battle, the pilots shown (including Crynyd) are wearing a very different helmet, which I can barely make out. The only thing close to a good rendition of that helmet is on the card art for the Droids release of the A-Wing Pilot figure.

Since A-Wing pilots were seen in the briefing room and Rebel hangar carrying the Y-Wing pilot helmet around, I will forgive Hasbro the gaff.

I guess an EU explaination could say that since the A-Wings were such a new addition to the Rebel Fleet in ROTJ, there were bound to be some inconsistencies in the pilot uniforms as they were essentially cobbled together at the last minute.

In short: Yeah, I'll buy this if I find it.:)

Beast
10-24-2002, 11:07 AM
To bad that it turned out to be a Target exclusive here in the states. But on the good side, it's a repaint of a ship that was out a long time ago. So it should be as easy to find as the TRU Chicken Walker. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-24-2002, 11:16 AM
Target?!?! I thought it was Wally World exclusive!!! freakin' target!!! :frus:

Rogue II
10-24-2002, 11:39 AM
I have had no problems with Target Exclusives. Mostly because my wife loves shopping there. I think the new A-Wing is cool, but I'm not sure if I am going to get it since I already have the POTF2 A-Wing, even though this is one of my favorite ships.

I wonder how long it will take after these things are released to post a tread about finding the wrong figure in the package. Only to have 10 people tell him that someone swapped figures and returned it.

Beast
10-24-2002, 11:42 AM
r2dtoys had it listed as a Wal-Mart exclusive, but the latest news from Galactic Hunter is marking it as a Target exclusive here in the states. On the good side, Wally World is getting the Sandcrawler according to the same source. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Prince Xizor
10-24-2002, 11:56 AM
I don't really care which store gets the exclusive, Target, Walmart, TRU, or Kaybee. I have 2 Walmarts, 2 TRU's, 2 Kaybee's, and a Target (w/another one opening) all within driving distance. If their is an exclusive, I will find it.

As long as FAO doesn't get it.....

Battle Droid
10-24-2002, 03:41 PM
There's isn't a Target near me for 100's of miles.

aikman
10-24-2002, 04:10 PM
YAWN
Repaint, new fig, exclusive

I will save my money on this one

sith_killer_99
10-24-2002, 10:35 PM
Yeah, Target exclusives are the WORST.

I really missed out when I was in Hawaii (1997-2001).

No Skiff for me.:cry:

Rogue II
10-24-2002, 10:43 PM
Its too bad they never offer their exclusives online so everyone can get them easier. You figure they would want to so they can sell more.

QLD
10-24-2002, 10:49 PM
I won't sweat trying to get this one, since I have the POTF2 one already.

bigbarada
10-25-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Yeah, Target exclusives are the WORST.

I really missed out when I was in Hawaii (1997-2001).

No Skiff for me.:cry:

I can completely sympathize with you, sith_killer. I spent the entire year 2000 in Korea and the first half of 1997 in Bosnia. So, not only did I miss out on the Y-Wing and Skiff, but I missed out on the Special Editions also.:mad::cry:

LTBasker
10-25-2002, 01:05 AM
Don't feel too bad BigB, there's three Targets within at least a 30 miles radius from my house, went to all three and the only Star Wars Target exclusive I've ever gotten is a single 12" Tarpals. I'm sure I'm not the only one too with that sort of situation, at least you can say you had more important things to do. ;)