PDA

View Full Version : Palpatine's Shadow

tgr3328
10-15-2002, 11:55 AM
Has anyone noticed this?

In the Return of the Jedi scene where Mon Motha is briefing the Rebel command on the Death Star II. When she says "Most importantly, the Emperor himself...". A shadow appears behind her. It looks very much to me like a silhouette of Senator Palpatine from EPI. Is this an accident, or was it placed there on purpose to show his hand in the Rebel plot to destroy the Death Star?

This may be old news and I've been living in a cave or maybe I'm just watching too much Star Wars! :rolleyes:

Exhaust Port
10-15-2002, 11:59 AM
I think it's just the shadow of one of the other extra's moving onto the floor near Mon Motha. I don't think GL planned any hidden forshadowing for Ep. I-III in the OT. Perhaps when the OT is released on DVD we'll have to rethink that and look a bit closer for possible additions.

tgr3328
10-15-2002, 12:09 PM
Could be. I don't know if the actor who played Palpatine looked enough (or close enough) like he did in ROJ as he did in EPI. It was about 16 years apart, I think.

LTBasker
10-15-2002, 12:13 PM
That's how Palpy knew, he was really there, Ackbar was just a puppet that he ducked behind! :eek: :crazed:

It was most likely just a coincidence of an extra moving around. Although if we ever get a DVD and Lucas notices it he'll probably say something like "we planned that, yeah yeah, we planned that!" ;)

tgr3328
10-15-2002, 12:15 PM
Or maybe they added it when the redid the OT.

It is brief, but it sure looks like him with the prominent nose Bozo-esque hairdo!