PDA

View Full Version : I just saw Rosemary's Baby

JON9000
10-15-2002, 01:01 PM
It is not only scary, but it is a very smart movie. It doesn't have any gore or even much suspense, except at the end. What it does as well as any movie I've ever seen, however, is slowly build a sense of dread- kind of like the Shining or the Exorcist.

Another thing I thought was cool was how little clues were interspersed throughout the film in unobtrusive ways as to what was really going on, without anything overt happening to tip you off- sorta like Shyamalan flicks.

I wouldn't recommend it to fans of Jason Vorhees, but if you like a slow burn, watch this movie, it will stick in your head! :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-01-2003, 09:33 PM
I just saw this movie for the first time last night on AMC. Jon is right on with his description of the movie--suspenseful, supernatural but not bloody or gory. Just a spooky movie that is perfect for a Saturday night.

And Roman Polanski did do an excellent job directing the movie. The foreshadowing was subtle but neat when you picked up on it. The movie also played with your mind. It made me think, "Is Rosemary (played excellently by Mia Farrow) out of her mind or is what she really claims is happening to her, really happening?" You really didn't find out until the very end of the movie.

The movie received a lot of publicity when it first came out in the late 1960's and remains a true classic.

James Boba Fettfield
06-01-2003, 09:42 PM
Man, how have you stayed away from the movie until now? Still, the end rocks when they're all like "Hail Satan!" Anyway, good movie and I wish I had known it was on AMC.

plasticfetish
06-02-2003, 03:33 AM
"What are you talking about? Guy's eyes are normal! What have you done to him? You maniacs!"

A great film. Creepy, good looking and great acting.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Man, how have you stayed away from the movie until now?

Well, I am only in my early 20's and really hadn't heard of the movie until a couple of years ago. But I was glad to see it and it is certainly the type of horror movie that I would see. Nothing too freaky or gory.

EricRG
06-07-2003, 07:48 PM
If you liked the feel of this movie...check out "The Wicker Man" starring Edward Woodward, Christopher Lee and, how shall I say, an absolutely "stunning" performance by Britt Ekland. Also some funny stuff in there, too, the likes of which I've not seen before.

The 'Xir
06-09-2003, 12:06 AM
AH Yes, a true classic! It's always good to see when the classics are discovered by someone new! It's not the same genre, but I my self was flipping through the channels, and came upon(believe it or not) an old Andy Griffith movie called 'A face in the Crowd'. It's in black and white, and I know the style of some of the films from the 50's make it hard for a modern movie watcher to watch, but actually this film sustained well enough, and was very entertaining actually! Also, Griffiths' acting was actually quite good in this movie, although for that time I don't know of anyone who would have been better for the role than Griffith, with all the Mayberry-like story telling the character has to do!. I would assume it would have to have been one of the first films to seriously address the topic of dealing with the trappings of the entertainment industry! I don't know if it's available on video or dvd, but if you get the chance I highly recommend it! :cool:

plasticfetish
06-09-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by The 'Xir
It's in black and white, and I know the style of some of the films from the 50's make it hard for a modern movie watcher to watch, but actually this film sustained well enough, and was very entertaining actually! Also, Griffiths' acting was actually quite good in this movie ...

Griffith plays a bit of a heavy in that movie. It was his first film and a good one ... a pretty timeless story. With all of this "starmaker" garbage on TV lately, that movie makes as much sense, if not more, than it did in the 50s.