PDA

View Full Version : Im New to POTJ.. any advice?

princethomas
10-29-2001, 11:07 AM
I live in Columbia SC. so its not a huge city, but its pretty big. We have 2 TRUs and 3 SuperWalmarts.
Anyway, I realize that I am getting a late start. I collected most of the EP1s, then I lost steam I guess. The Star Wars bug has got me again though with all of this Trailer talk. so Im wanting to try to play catch up with the POTJ.

I found a couple of guys at KB for 2 99 and I just won an ebay auction for Ketwol,Sabe,Madak,Besbin Guard. 10$ plus 6$ shipping

So, is there any good ways to get these figures at reasonable prices. Im a grad student, so Im not exactly loaded. thanks for the advice. Hope to see ya around a lot.

Tom

Starfig873
10-29-2001, 11:19 AM
Weeeeell. For reasonable prices, I've always trusted Wal-Mart. And of course someone might want to unload the first couple of waves of POTJ for fairly cheap. AND of course with all the army builders stuffing up pegs it shouldn't be too long before many go on sale. In fact many have if I'm not mistaken...

Jargo
10-29-2001, 01:10 PM
NO! Get out now while there's still time... Run, run like the wind for the far away hills and safety from the madness that is 'the hunt' Leave this quest alone and abandon all toys for they are evil spawn of satan and shall be damned in hellfire and brimstone and treacle.... Douse yourself in holy water and become a hermit, save your soul the torment and terror of the POTJ quest. Please save yourself - you're our only hope...... *trails off in despair* :(

bigbarada
10-29-2001, 01:13 PM
Dammit Jargo! You beat me to it!:D

princethomas
10-29-2001, 01:19 PM
No, I have taken my first step into a larger world. I realize the POTJ wastes are not to be traveled lightly. I am here to stay. I have already spent about 30 bucks on it, so theres no turning back now.

So any other advice, to someone who is already stuck?

Jargo
10-29-2001, 01:53 PM
The best advice I can give anyone is to befriend the owner of a comic store. Worked for me :D I get everything I need from my friendly local comic store - with favoured customer discount! :D :D

It's no use trying to butter up folk who work in large stores as they really don't give a damn unless you slip them a few greenbacks. But they probably have themselves on the payroll of the scalpers anyway.
go for a cosy small comic store and spend plenty of time in there just chatting to the owner or the counter assistant. The softly softly approach to these creatures will work best. Once you have their trust and begin to form a bond of friendship, begin to discuss collecting POTJ Don't blurt itout or you'll frighten them off, just ease it into conversation gently and tickle the guys ego by saying what a cool store they have and aren't they just the best counter assistant ever.... Don't go overboard on the compliments or you may find yourself on a date you didn't expect all of a sudden. Know what I'm saying guy? ;) Anyway, once you've donr the legwork and taken the time to get to know these guys they will probably be more wiulling to help you out and if they can't then point you in the right direction. If my comic store owner friend can't get something for me she hunts round her aquaintances for a good price and gets it from different places than she normally buys from. Or she points me to stores locally who have what I want. In return, I furnish her with all the latest news on star wars prioducts that I find on the net. Something she hasn't the time to hunt out herself. I give her news before the magazines publish it and before the stockists know what's what. It's a symbiotic relationship and it works for me. :D ;) :p :)

stillakid
10-29-2001, 02:26 PM
30 bucks? I shudder to think of the thousands I've got wrapped up in my entire collection. There is still good left in you...I've felt it. Go back before it's too late.

sith_killer_99
10-29-2001, 04:22 PM
Well, let's start off with the basics. There are 47 current POTJ figures. With about 6 more due out early next year. For a grand total of 53 before the line will end in favor of the EP2 figs.

That's not counting variations and errors.;)

BTW, the new figures due out will no longer have the Jedi Force Files, and there will be a change to the cards themselves.:D

Most of the older stuff is going pretty cheap right now, look around the net. Some stores/e-businesses are practically giving them away.:eek:

As many have already said, this is a dangerous journey and not to be traveled lightly.

If you have lots of money, or lots of patients go ahead and collect the ships as well.

But be warned this is an even greater journey, and one that may only end in agony and defeat.:(

The realm of Store Exclusives is nightmarishly frightning. Worse even than Luke's failure at the cave on Dagobah!:eek:

But, if you succeed, the rewards would be...well not a well as you would imagine.

Seriously, it is a nice line, and I am glad to see more people taking an interest in it. Even if it is about to die.

And beware the Master's of the Darkside 2pk. (4 inch version)! An excellent piece, but difficult to come by.

I hope this helps.

GNT
10-30-2001, 12:58 AM
Also welcome to princethomas :)

Emperor Howdy
10-30-2001, 01:02 AM
Planetactionfigure.com has some of the earlier POTJ figs. at pretty good prices. The more you order, the better the shipping costs.

Wolfwood319
10-30-2001, 01:46 AM
"*Sniff Sniff*........"The Hunt, It Begins Again..."

Seriously though, POTJ is pretty easy to come by, even the ships.

The real kicker, are you planning on getting POTF2, because the 2 lines go hand in hand? There aren't too many main characters out there in action figure form in the POTJ line.

If you are going for POTF2, I suggest Ebay. You can get loads of the older figs there for really cheap, and in mass quantities.

Also too, the shows and fairs you can sometimes get really good deals. Most figures out there, old or new, I wouldn't pay more than 10 bucks for.

AmanaMatt
10-30-2001, 10:29 AM
the above posts are all good advice; I recommend collecting only those figures that you care about...variations of 'this or that' is something that the harcore collectors usually only care about

oldfossil
10-30-2001, 10:46 AM
Above all, patience! Be assured you will eventually get every figure you set out to find, though it may take a little while for some of the scarcer waves, like Lando/R2-Q5.

Good luck, and welcome back to SW collecting!

SirSteve
10-30-2001, 12:27 PM
Don't forget to check out our Price Price Guide (http://www.myfigures.com/pg) section. It has every listed POTJ with variations known to exist! You can also store your Have/Wants so you can print it out or save for later use.

INDIANA
10-30-2001, 04:28 PM
My advise....RUN!

If you just started, your hearts not in it too deeply. Quickly switch to something easier like Transformers or Blue's Clues or Battlebots. Save yourself the time and aggrivation!

Mandalorian Candidat
11-03-2001, 10:23 AM
Just three words...

Skip the resculpts

master jedi
11-03-2001, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Just three words...
Skip the resculpts

Just four words:

Hasbro, stop making resculpts.

stillakid
11-04-2001, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by master jedi

Just four words:

Hasbro, stop making resculpts.

...of Qui Gon

evenflow
11-04-2001, 06:31 AM
Damn, I was also going to say run. Once your sucked in kiss your money good bye. As for advice, don't run out to buy the newest thing at the highest price. Wait a few weeks, the price will drop a little. You will save yourself alot of money.

Obi-Don
11-04-2001, 07:51 AM
Yes...Yessss,You and Your wallet are now,MINE!

Come to the dark side and start collecting. You'll love it. Just collect what you want and don't let it drive you crazy when you don't find or have a hard time finding them at a good price.Some you will have to suck it up and pay the over price,but if it is what you want its ok [just don't tell anyone what you paid for it] I too got a late start but if you keep looking it won't take long before you run out of room for your collection.;)

stillakid
11-04-2001, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by evenflow
Damn, I was also going to say run. Once your sucked in kiss your money good bye. As for advice, don't run out to buy the newest thing at the highest price. Wait a few weeks, the price will drop a little. You will save yourself alot of money.

For most items, I've found that if I don't buy it immediately, I never see it again. Distribution is too poor and scalpers are too numerous to trust that what you want will be around later at a discount. I think that paying full retail evens itself out: if I miss something, I end up paying some online scalper significantly more cash to get it. So if you're willing to do that, then wait for the sales, but expect to dig deeper into the pocket for at least half the figures and vehicles that don't drop in price at retail stores.

Turbowars
11-05-2001, 09:05 PM
All the above advice is good, but I doubt most of us collectors go by it. I love Star Wars , but I really didn't like E1, so I didn't buy any of the figures until it was too late. (I guess I didn't like all the computer Crap, it just didn't feel like Star Wars, but It has grown on me in time). I ended up paying to much for some of the figures. Another thing that happens to me is I say, I don't really like a certain figure and I'm not going to buy it. I get home and kick myself for not buying it, one because I wont be able to complete the collection and two because I'll end up paying more for it later. That's just me. I'm one of those Star Wars collectors that buys all the carded figures and 12" figures. I got a hold of the new 12" speeder and I love it. Jargo can confirm that:) But I think they are right about only buying what you like. It's really up to you. In a few weeks or maybe a month you will know how deep you want to get into it. Happy hunting and no running to the Star Wars isle. I never do that!!!!! at least not any more, I'm at work when all the stores open now. Damn!!!!!!! Feel free to e-mail me with any question you might have.

princethomas
11-06-2001, 06:10 PM
Wow, thanks a lot for all of the help. Its been like 2 weeks since I posted this message. I feel I have done a pretty good job in that time. I binged a little at first and went out to get a bunch from KB and off ebay. I know I shouldnt say, but I have 16 potj figures now at an average of 4.80 a piece. I feel that is pretty good. Dont know if I can keep the average under 5 though, but I will try. Thanks for the advice. I love Star Wars. Loved the new Teaser, and If it wasnt for being in the heat of College Football (go Gamecocks!!) I wouldnt be able to stand the wait til May.
Thanks Guys

Tom

JediCole
11-07-2001, 05:05 PM
Like others here have suggested, and you have discovered yourself, eBay is not just a haven for scalpers, but can be a treasure trove of great prices. One seller to watch (and get on his mailing list) is known on eBay as vetting. He runs usually 100-250 seperate auctions at a time, almost always loose figures (this one is no help if you collected carded only) and has, to date, offered almost every single figure from the vintage to the latest, with all auctions starting at $0.99! Sometimes, just for fun I will go in and bid on all of the auctions that have no bids, bidding only the $0.99 opening bid and NEVER win more than one or two! But those that do close are often at bargain prices.
Regardless of your preference for carded or not, I am often staggered by how inexpensive some figures can be had on eBay. The tough ones are often the rarities, like R2-Q5. I managed mine for less than $9.00 including shipping, but still need another for a friend of mine.
Another possibility is more of a long shot and dependent on the area in which you live. In the DFW, TX area we are graced with one promoter of a major toy show that runs several times each year in this area as well as other parts of the state and Louisianna. There are other smaller shows as well. If you have comic and/or toy shows in your area, these are often great places to look as scalpers are blowing out last month's hot toys to make room for this month's. I bought two POTJ Landos and two Tessek (Squid Head) at a recent show for $6.00 each! And if you need to fill any holes in the older lines, these shows are great for that too (I bought two Lak Sivraks, a figure I'd not seen in years, at the same show for less than $4.00 each).
And as others have said here, and those who know me, like Sith Worm, Bubba Fatt, and Bouncing Boy, be patient. I can't help but think of the guy that bought an Episode I C-3PO for $100.00 at one of these toy shows about six or seven months before the release of the EI line the U.S. Months later when these figures warmed the shelves at about $6-7 each, I had visions of that same guy kicking himself. But then, as collectors, we all have purchaces (or missed opportunities) that we kick ourselves over.

Here endeth the lesson...

Sean the Hutt
11-07-2001, 07:03 PM
You have to make friends! A tribe will always gather more than an individual. Join a local Star Wars club, or find a friend who does not work, has a load of cash, and who will spot you everything until " next Friday". The latter is highly unlikely. Seriously, most things you can find with a bit of persistance. But there will always be one or two things that will force you to skip your lunch break, or class for. Oh yeah you can always ask someone here! Friends of SirSteve can be quite helpful! Good luck

Dark Knight
11-14-2001, 08:36 PM
You must fall to the darkside. You must search E-bay for lots of figures. You must take out a student loan to get the next figure.

I also live in Cola, SC and it sucks for collecting. You have to to lexington and surronding counties to find the new of the new stuff. E-bay cool too. I have gotten lots for less than $2.00 a figure.

I have find the Tie Interceptor in lex TRU. I still have not seen the B-wing fighter yet.

I run through Wal-mart and Target weekly.
Email me if you want to split up Cola for looking for figures.:cool:

GNT
11-15-2001, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
...of Qui Gon

...And other main characters such as Anakin,Darth Vader,Luke and Jar Jar Binks

Dark Knight
11-15-2001, 10:14 PM
Hey
The wal-mart on garners ferry has figures for $5.00. The K-mart on devine has the new deluxe figures also.

princethomas
11-18-2001, 10:28 PM
Really? the Wal-Mart on Garners ferry? I ll check it out tomorrow. I havent seen much lately. Found a IG-88 and Sandtrooper at Bush River K Mart. only bought the S.Trooper though.

browndroid
11-19-2001, 02:13 PM
you think Cola, SC is a sucky place to collect? try sierra vista, we dont even have a tru..........i know its scary.........i have all the potj figs so far and most of them i got on ebay.........just keep lookin and you'll find a good deal..