PDA

View Full Version : New Clone Trooper Deluxe is Awesome!

Tycho
10-16-2002, 03:22 AM
The new Clone Trooper Deluxe Figure is way cool!

The only disapointment is he does not have articulation at the waist, to allow for his grenade tossing action feature.

On that note, the grenade tossing feature really works - and it works well. It was fun to play with for a few minutes, but due to the fact that the Clone Trooper needs a loose grip on the grenade to hurl it with a press of the button on his back, he doesn't hold his gun too well. But that's nothing one of those little clear rubberbands wouldn't fix.

Meanwhile, I also would have liked a holster for his blaster gun.

The 5 pieces of removeble armor fit on him just awesome!

This figure is perfect for any Kamino Cloning Lab diorama! Make the clones be posed donning their armor, or getting their helmets and suiting up for combat training!

I bought 2 - that was all that was there - but I plan to get up to 6 total, these figures are so nice!

They bend at the knees, and twist at the lower leg, too - for good poseability on or off the speederbike (included) - though I plan to put some kind of later, highly poseable Clone on the bikes in my battle scenes, and leave the guys with the removeable armor to be shown on Kamino. The throwing arm is adjustable (not like Arena Padme who's permanently posed in a shooting position). You can have this figure hold his helmet at his side, or be sitting, pulling on a leg guard segment of his armor. One wrist (the left hand) pivots. He can also be posed double-handling his blaster (firing from his right hand on the trigger).

The helmet and speederbike have a lot of rubbery feeling parts.

Note that when you put the bike into storage on the Republic Gunship, you have to take off the fron steering vane so it will fit.

The vane actually stores underneath the speederbike, so snap it into place first, then put your bike's main body aboard your gunship to fly it into battle!

How would I rate this deluxe figure? Top notch. It's really hard to say but only C-3PO / Battle Droid Deluxe comes close to this much playability and utility for me.

Nice job on the Clone Trooper Deluxe Hasbro!

(found at K-mart for $10.99)

marcusfett
10-16-2002, 06:42 AM
Wow! Good find. I really, really want this figure. I wish Hasbro would've forgone the stupid "force-flipping" Kenobi, Tryanus, etc. and the big eyebrows Anakin to make more cool deluxe figures like this Clonetrooper.

Chiesa
10-16-2002, 07:14 AM
I am looking forward to getting my hands on this figure in November when the new waves hit the stores here in Singapore soon... Anyway presently the stores here are afraid of over stocking so they offer the Clonetrooper together with the force flipping Anakin and Genosian warrior deluxe for a rip of price of abt US$40... I know I won't even pay a cent for the other 2 deluxe but apparently they are still selling pretty well here to the obsessed collectors... Sigh... NOVEMBER NOVEMBER SWEET NOVEMBER....

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

Tycho
10-16-2002, 02:01 PM
I brought this up in the Deluxe Figure value poll, but who would like Han and Luke in their stormtrooper disguises done with removeable armor like the Deluxe CloneTrooper?

Maybe under the armor, Han's blue pants with red piping would show a little bit, as with Luke's sandsifters. How in the heck did they fit their regular clothes, (like Han's vest and Luke's loose tunic) under those stormtrooper body gloves in the first place?)

Or was Leia rolling her eyes while Han and Luke struggled to put their pants back on after the they escaped the trash compactor?

That would have made a funny scene.

bigbarada
10-16-2002, 02:21 PM
How securely does the Speeder Bike fit into the Gunship? In other words, will it stay put when you are flying around the Gunship or does it fall out at the slightest tilt?

JangoFart
10-16-2002, 02:37 PM
I should receive my deluxe Clone today. Your review has gotten me fired to get it - and watch it sit in it's bubble on my shelf :)

It does seem like a very nice setup!

J

Beast
10-16-2002, 02:39 PM
Tycho, a bigger question is where exactly did they keep their boots when they were wearing the Stormtrooper gear. That is a big plot goof, unless Chewbacca was carrying their clothes and boots in his bandolier bag. But it's certainly not big enough to hold their boots. Maybe they stashed their clothes somewhere, but that doesn't work, because they are just outside the door of the trash compactor. I sense an "Ask the Jedi Council" for this one. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
10-16-2002, 02:49 PM
better yet.....lets get that thread going about gaffs in the OT and tick stillakid off!

Beast
10-16-2002, 02:51 PM
But the OT is perfect!! ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
10-16-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
I brought this up in the Deluxe Figure value poll, but who would like Han and Luke in their stormtrooper disguises done with removeable armor like the Deluxe CloneTrooper?

Maybe under the armor, Han's blue pants with red piping would show a little bit, as with Luke's sandsifters. How in the heck did they fit their regular clothes, (like Han's vest and Luke's loose tunic) under those stormtrooper body gloves in the first place?)

Or was Leia rolling her eyes while Han and Luke struggled to put their pants back on after the they escaped the trash compactor?

That would have made a funny scene.

I asked this question a while back and was treated to a brief "under their armor" answer by the same people who claim the OT is perfect and critic proof. It makes no sense and is a major plot goof that no one seems to care about since it is the OT.

Just like Jargo's old question about where the T-16 actually sat in the homestead. The layout of the garage above ground doesn't match the layout of the garage below ground.

Hmmm, I sense a new thread in the OT section coming on.....

Beast
10-16-2002, 03:00 PM
Who wants to start it. I'll definatly repost the stuff from here there. I probably shouldn't, since I'm considered the person who loves the PT way to much around here. :rolleyes: :p

Big B, the fact that they have their boots, totally blows away the "under the armor" crap. Not to mention the body glove is like a surfer's body glove. Nothing is going to fit under there. Especially bulky clothes like Han's Vest. :stupid:

It's just more proof that most people will ignore a HUGE plot gaff, but grab the soapbox for little things in the prequels that are gaffs or don't fit into continuity, in their opinions. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Evil
10-16-2002, 03:00 PM
I really want this new Clonetrooper but the only Deluxe figures I see here are Jango, Tyranus, Obi-Wan and Mace.

bigbarada
10-16-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Who wants to start it. I'll definatly repost the stuff from here there. I probably shouldn't, since I'm considered the person who loves the PT way to much around here. :rolleyes: :p

I already started it.:cool:

I brought up Tycho's question about the clothes under the Stormtrooper armor, Jargo's question about the T-16 and the homestead and my question about the inconsistency of the Sandtroopers blasters from one scene to another.

fourtwo
10-16-2002, 05:51 PM
these things sound sweet. can't wait to find em. way to get me excited :)

JangoFart
10-16-2002, 11:28 PM
Mine came in today and Tycho is right - it's VERY nice! This is, like Ephant, one that I'll buy another so I can have one opened and one carded.

Like Ephant, HOPEFULLY this is an indication of the kind of quality we can look forward to out of Hasbro for 2003's Saga goodies!

J

Prince Xizor
10-16-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
How securely does the Speeder Bike fit into the Gunship? In other words, will it stay put when you are flying around the Gunship or does it fall out at the slightest tilt?

Yeah, does anybody know?

Tycho
10-17-2002, 02:18 AM
I can't answer the question about the speederbike. I have 2 gunships loose now, and got my crews posed just perfect in them, so I don't want to move them at all to add the bike to their ships. I don't honestly know if I will add the bikes to the ships. I just really wanted the figures.

My plans as of now:

I have 3 major, large scenes for the Battle for Geonosis, and 6 Clone Bikers (the figures all used in a Kamino diorama, however):

ARENA SCENE # 1 - does not apply. The Clones haven't attacked yet. The Jedi are busy fighting the beasts and the droids. Anakin, Padme, and Obi-Wan are still riding the Reek.

ARENA SCENE #2 - The Attack of the Clones. I am using 2 Gunships in this scene, and the Arena Playset.

Gunship 1 is opened and set up with gunners, pilots, all the figures - Shaak-Ti, SaeSee Tiin, and Luminara are boarding, deflecting blasts, waiting just for Eeth Koth before lifting off. Do I need the speederbike in there? It doesn't make a difference one way or another.

Gunship 2 is not opened, and it will have just Yoda, commanding an all-Clone Trooper crew. This one could have a bike in it.

No bikes go in the Arena!

BATTLE FOR GEONOSIS (the major ground assault): This one will have the spider droids, the Hailfire Droids, hopefully an AT-TE, etc. I am using 2 Gunships here:

Gunship 1 is opened and has Anakin, Padme, and Obi-Wan aboard. There's no need for a speederbike. Were it still aboard in the movie, Anakin and Obi-Wan might've pursued Dooku on that, a smaller target than risking the Gunship to the faster, lighter Geonosian fighters.

Gunship 2 is not opened, but the same argument goes for that. What do I need the bike onboard for? This gunship is Yoda's, Mace's, Ki-Adi Mundi's and Kit Fisto's. A bike could be aboard, since I'll have 6, but it's not imperative.

I will use 4 bikes to flank the Republic Army and provide perimeter defenses. I will place Clonetroopers, hopefully ones like the CommTech Stormies, on these bikes. Thereby, I save my removeable armor clones for a Kamino diorama.

Incidently, Luminara, Shaak-Ti, SaeSee Tiin, Eeth Koth, Plo Koon, Nikto Jedi, and Aayla Secura will be the Jedi leading my Clones on the ground, because Mace will not have landed yet (in my scene).

I don't know if these Jedi are killed or not (in the whole battle, or after they escape the Arena). Darn I need the DVD so I can tell what the heck I'm doing!

I just can't tell you right now whether or not the bike fits securely on board the gunship.

But thanks for letting me discuss my dioramas. :D

LTBasker
10-17-2002, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
How in the heck did they fit their regular clothes, (like Han's vest and Luke's loose tunic) under those stormtrooper body gloves in the first place?

They're on a Space Station, so they probably have plenty of Space bags handy. ;) (Oh it was funny and you know it!)

Can the speederbikes fit well in the main hold of the gunship? That would be a good idea for a Gunship, instead of a small squad and a single bike, have a whole Gunship filled with ready to deploy speederbikes. I'm guessing you could probably get two in side by side with the third in the storage part in the back (in "storage mode").

For speederbike pilot Clone Troopers you might want to consider the Pilot Clones, I know they don't have the same Clone Trooper helmets but I think they'd look alot better having the special helmets for a speeder than the normal Clone Trooper helmet.

On the grenade thing, are any holes big enough for a Battle Droid arm to go through? That'd be a good way to make use of the electro effects that are packed with the Saga ones.

Tycho
10-17-2002, 03:34 AM
You can probably get a battledroid arm through there. I'd guess "yes." That's a cool idea, btw! I'll have to consider borrowing that one for my own dioramas.

ChemOx
10-17-2002, 04:21 AM
couldn't believe it, but in a see of peg warming Zam Wessels, there were actually TONS,....and I mean TONS of all the new deluxe waves.....Clonetrooper, Genosian and Force flipping Anakin in my local Kmart. I nearly passed out. The clonetrooper is a sweet figure for sure!!

JEDIpartner
10-17-2002, 10:36 AM
To answer the unanswered questions...

** The bike is very nice. The front end snaps into two holes in the underside of the fuselage.

** There are two small holes toward the seat where the two little rods hanging off the control sticks plug into. This helps keep the control sticks in the up position, thus making the control sticks sturdier.

** Since the control sticks are sturdier, the Clone Trooper can hang onto the bike a little better. Since only one wrist turns, only one hand can hold onto the control stick.

** The only problem is that, now that the "T" bar is gone... nothing is there to strap him him. He wobbles a little bit. I don't think "upside down" would be a very good idea.

** The Bike is sturdier than recent versions.

** It is difficult to get the bike in an out of the Gunship, so since I have three Deluxe Clone Troopers-- one is going to stay in the Gunship and the other two will flank it on either side.

Prince Xizor
10-17-2002, 03:49 PM
So its tough to get in and out? Can the pilot be on the bike when it is in the Gunship or does he have to stand in front of it?

Dave_Cameron
10-18-2002, 02:28 PM
I had the same problem with mine. The feet took a bit of pushing before they snapped into the "locks." I tried sliding them into the holds, but that didn't work out so well.

The speeder cannot accomodate the rider while it is in the vehicle bay. The only other problem with the speeder is that the spring-loaded "feet" keep the speeder propped up to the ceiling of the gunship.

Turbowars
12-01-2002, 10:34 PM
I got one yesterday and yes it is very cool! The Trooper is very nice and the gimmick works well. The armer is a cool idea, but useless. The only rant I have, is he should have had a ball joint at the upper leg. The speeder is a nice improvement from the POTF2 unit, but the outrigger (front of the speeder) is made with that rubbery plastic and it bends. It fits well in the ship, but once you bother to get it in there, you probably wont want to take it out because it's a pain in the @ss to get it in there. I noticed on the back of the card it shows a POTF2 unit sitting in the gunship, so if some of you guys don't have it yet throw a POTF2 speeder in there.

Chiesa
12-02-2002, 12:53 AM
Sad but true I have yet to own a Clonetrooper deluxe! :(

Adam
12-02-2002, 01:12 AM
I'm not allowed to buy anything new since its getting to look a lot like Christmas. :( :)

Capitan_Moroni
12-02-2002, 10:20 PM
can the Clonetrooper stand/sit normaly? or are his legs perminantly spread like the other speeder bike figures?

ILvNataliePortman
12-03-2002, 01:39 AM
Not sure about the rest of you, but I've managed to clip the complete bike inside the ship. I first clip the bike, then lower the bike to fit. The hinges slowly drop to an appropiate distance apart from the top and bottom of the cargo bay. One thing to look for when picking these figs up is that the bike's covers over the boosters close when its legs are dropped. I had to return it twice because the magnets would not close a cover. Good luck!

Tycho
12-03-2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Capitan_Moroni
can the Clonetrooper stand/sit normaly? or are his legs perminantly spread like the other speeder bike figures?

His legs are rather spread, but not too badly. His articulation helps him overcome that.

Turbowars
12-03-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Capitan_Moroni
can the Clonetrooper stand/sit normaly? or are his legs perminantly spread like the other speeder bike figures? It's a pretty cool battle pose, heres a photo

Turbowars
12-03-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ILvNataliePortman
Not sure about the rest of you, but I've managed to clip the complete bike inside the ship. I first clip the bike, then lower the bike to fit. The hinges slowly drop to an appropiate distance apart from the top and bottom of the cargo bay. One thing to look for when picking these figs up is that the bike's covers over the boosters close when its legs are dropped. I had to return it twice because the magnets would not close a cover. Good luck! Magnets? What magnets?

Turbowars
12-07-2002, 01:04 AM
Hello!!!! Does anyone know what he's talking about???? Magnets???

ILvNataliePortman
12-07-2002, 01:41 AM
If magnets don't hold the covers, what does? I assumed that the little black pegs that push/close the covers were magnets since there has been a huge difference in strength from the 3 sets that I've opened. I thought this difference was magnetism. My apology...

Turbowars
12-07-2002, 10:35 AM
No No, No apology needed, I just didn't understand what you were talking about. I thought it might be a variation. On my speeder(AOTC) the covers close when you when you push down on the speeder. They open when you let off. Yours might be sticking because the hinge is tight. The whole thing works with a spring, nothing more. I hope that helps.

dirtybones
12-07-2002, 11:05 AM
I just scored my second deluxe trooper yesterday and added him to my gunship. I love this figure!! he looks great.
The only thing that was driving me mad about it was the throwing arm and the black circle on the elbow pad, it just looks weird in a off kinda way. So I took both my troopers out of the gunship and did a little Hawkeye ( M.A.S.H ) number to them by useing white out to cover up the circles. It worked! they look alot better and you can't tell that it was done. So if you have the same issue with the circles try this method on for size.

FishEyedLouie
12-08-2002, 05:15 PM
:confused: Did anyone actually see a clone speeder bike in the movie?

Turbowars
12-08-2002, 06:04 PM
No, they were cut from the film. I thought they would be on the DVD, but not such luck.

LTBasker
12-08-2002, 06:10 PM
If you look in the special effects documentaries, during one of them it shows some test CGI shots of the Geonosis battle, and it does include the speederbike segment. It's just basic computer stuff though, it doesn't have any of the regular film touch-ups.

Turbowars
12-08-2002, 06:14 PM
cool!!!

FishEyedLouie
12-09-2002, 12:48 AM
Anyone have any luck finding this figure in the L.A. area?

JEDIpartner
12-09-2002, 08:49 AM
The only place I saw one was in the back of the Gunship. I didn't actually see one manoeuvering around on the battlefield.

Turbowars
12-09-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by FishEyedLouie
Anyone have any luck finding this figure in the L.A. area? Yeah, I found mine at Universal City Walk in thestore "THEM".