PDA

View Full Version : Darth Maul's lightsaber

Darth Cruel
10-16-2002, 03:08 AM
It really bothers me that this thing will not stay straight. I cannot remember how many times I have heated this thing, straightened it, and cooled it only to have it revert back to the shape with the packaging bend damage.

So here is the my plan to end this problem once and for all. I have taken great pains to use twist ties to tie this thing to a metal rod until it is straight (nearly perfectly). Tomorrow I will go buy the smallest diameter drill bit I can find and drill a hole through the center along the long axis if the 'saber. I shall then insert a tungsten rod only slightly larger in diameter than the drilled hole (to hold it in place better). Gas Tungsten Arc Welding electrode should do the trick if I can find some of small enough diameter (as this stuff is very heavy).

I would almost bet a week's pay that it will retain it's straightness afterwards.

mini-rock
10-16-2002, 04:06 AM
It took about 3 1/2 months before I gave up on trying to get that thing straight. Eventually I went ahead and posed the figure on a stand, and manipulated the hilt a bit with Maul's hands. Over the last year the hilt has finally straightened out, and looks 100% better.

If you do use a metal rod, maybe you could just leave it in there. ust as long as the sabers can still fit in.:)

gibbspaulus
10-16-2002, 06:20 AM
I just tried to pose him so that if you're looking at him as you go past the handle is placed so that teh curve is not apparent.

Glad to know it wasn't just me.

Jayspawn
10-16-2002, 12:07 PM
Maul's lightsaber is a big pain. The one that comes with the Sith Speeder is perfectly straight. Hasbro should never have packaged him holding his saber with both hands.

derek
10-16-2002, 03:35 PM
those qui-gon sabers aren't any better. most i have look like black bananas.:frus:

JediTricks
10-16-2002, 06:24 PM
I prefer the one that came with the Electronic Maul, it doesn't come apart but it's nice and straight and has a good shape and color to it.

Darth Cruel
10-17-2002, 01:57 AM
The one I got with electronic Maul came apart. I tried to use the blades fom the other one on it because it wasstraight, but the blades went in differently.

tagmac
10-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Well, if Hasbro would have simply made the sabwer out of the same hard plastic as the blasters, instead of the softer stuff they DID use, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Turbowars
10-19-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
It really bothers me that this thing will not stay straight. I cannot remember how many times I have heated this thing, straightened it, and cooled it only to have it revert back to the shape with the packaging bend damage.

So here is the my plan to end this problem once and for all. I have taken great pains to use twist ties to tie this thing to a metal rod until it is straight (nearly perfectly). Tomorrow I will go buy the smallest diameter drill bit I can find and drill a hole through the center along the long axis if the 'saber. I shall then insert a tungsten rod only slightly larger in diameter than the drilled hole (to hold it in place better). Gas Tungsten Arc Welding electrode should do the trick if I can find some of small enough diameter (as this stuff is very heavy).

I would almost bet a week's pay that it will retain it's straightness afterwards. Why don't you just leave the drill bit in the saber? Drill the 2 end out, put some glue (Jet) in the holes and slide the drill back in.

Darth Cruel
10-19-2002, 10:12 PM
The drill bit is too long. I could noy find on just the right length so I had to go long and it is about 2 inches longer than the whole lightsaber haft.

Turbowars
10-20-2002, 10:01 AM
With that said, bits break easy. Find out how long you need it, mark it, get 2 pair of plyers and hold at the mark and break apart. Wear some safty glasses. I have done this one time or another to get in a tight spot. What ever you do good luck;)