PDA

View Full Version : Sir Anthony Hopkins writing Hannibal IV?

Beast
10-16-2002, 12:14 PM
Sounds like Sir Anthony Hopkins wants to wrap the story up with a final sequel. Hopefully it deals with why he became a serial killer. That was revealed in the novel of Hannibal, but never was mentioned in the film version. Here's the news from Dark Horizons.

Hannibal 4: The Star has more details on the supposed fourth Lecter adventure, turns out its not what you may think. It seems that 64-year actor Anthony Hopkins wrote a script which would finish up the character once and for all by having Clarice Starling shoot him to death in the final scenes: "I did write a screenplay of my own, just as an exercise, that would follow Hannibal, I showed it to Dino and to my agent and the studio. It's about Hannibal actually out there, after Hannibal. The final denouement. Clarice is having a nervous breakdown and living in San Francisco. Then the nightmares start. She sees him on street corners, and he vanishes in the crowd. Then one night she wakes up in her bedroom and she's handcuffed to her bed, and he's in the corner smoking a cigar, and he says, 'Hello, Clarice..."."

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
10-16-2002, 12:42 PM

Erm...

:confused:

I liked the Hannibal movies so I'm a little unsure how I feel about this. "A new movie, yay :D. Wait, Anthony Hopkins writing it?"

PENDO!

The Overlord Returns
10-16-2002, 12:53 PM
well....that sounds like a...........steaming pile of crap......

sorry...got to say it.....

Anthony might want to stick with the old acting thing he does so well at.

derek
10-16-2002, 03:46 PM
HANNIBLE 4: hannible bleeds to death after cutting off his hand, and never makes the airplane.

i would much rather see a pre-quil to red dragon. when me, jar jar and ebert and roeper all agree, how could it go wrong?:happy:

Beast
10-16-2002, 03:52 PM
Exactly Derek. Let's delve into the mind of the madman. So far we have more info about why the serial killers in Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs are the way they are, then why Lecter is. Not that I care really for the silly explination behind the Tooth Fairy.

He was emotionally scarred because he had a cleft pallate and was a bed wetter with a crazy mother that threatened to cut of his manhood. Please, I've read better ideas on the sides of Cereal Boxes. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hurrikane
10-16-2002, 10:10 PM
He is also playing Jor-el, father of superman in the upcoming superman movie. This guy is starting to remind me of ian mckellen with all those movies...

derek
10-16-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by hurrikane
He is also playing Jor-el, father of superman in the upcoming superman movie. This guy is starting to remind me of ian mckellen with all those movies...

has that been actually confirmed? i know brett ratner mentioned it, kinda as a joke, but nothing was set.

2-1B
10-17-2002, 12:06 AM
JJB - wasn't it the tooth fairy's grandmother that taunted him, not his mother?

I think you're not quite looking at the larger picture. Yes those things may have scarred him, but they are not necessarily the driving force behind his madness. He was obviously into all kinds of goofy crap like the red dragon . . . those are the things that capitalized on his past and led him to kill. The bedwetting itself was not motive, as I understood it.

Beast
10-17-2002, 01:29 AM
Grandmother, Mother, whatever. It was still a less then satisfying reason behind his madness. Maybe the book explains better, but I should just put asside reality and remember that it is just a movie. I guess I'm frustrated when they don't give charecters proper motivation for their actions. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
10-17-2002, 08:16 AM
I'm frustrated when they don't give charecters proper motivation for their actions.

they are insane.;)
you're looking for a rational reason for irrational actions. i don't think any will be found.

also, in regards to the "tooth fairy", i got the impression his grandmother was molesting him. that and he's a complete loon were enough for me. anyone who has conversations with a painting in his attic, or is making a suit out of women, isn't exactly the picture of sanity.:)

James Boba Fettfield
10-17-2002, 07:33 PM
Hannibal's whole cannibal ways came from him witnessing his baby sister being taken from him and later finding her teeth in a the hole that was used as the bathroom. That right there is a good reason why Lecter did what he did.

James Boba Fettfield
10-17-2002, 07:38 PM
And for the proper killer's motives not being revealed...well, they were originally created for a novel. 300 pages of novel work can show a lot more than 2 hours of movie work. Jame Gumb had visions of going on transvestite cruises with his woman suit and then there was his whole obsession with him thinking his mother was so beautiful. Dolarhyde on the other hand...that kid got messed with a lot as a child. First you have his mother, and then there was his step family. Then there is his grandmother and all the torment she put him through. Red Dragon gave many prime examples of all the crap Francis got put through as a child that led him to believing he was truely becoming something greater when he was older.

derek
10-17-2002, 10:14 PM
Hannibal's whole cannibal ways came from him witnessing his baby sister being taken from him and later finding her teeth in a the hole that was used as the bathroom. That right there is a good reason why Lecter did what he did

i don't understand this. his baby sister was "taken" from him? you mean she was kidnapped?

her teeth were found in a hole? what does this mean?

Pendo
10-18-2002, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by derek
her teeth were found in a hole? what does this mean?

It means that she can't chew anything ;). She has to eat runny foods...:rolleyes:

PENDO!

BlahBlahBlah
10-18-2002, 08:07 AM
It's been a while since I read the book, but if I remember correctly...

Hannibal and his sister grew up in some European country during WWII. The Nazis came into his home and kidnapped his sister. He went looking for her, and found evidence that she had, in fact, been eaten.

My memory's fuzzy, but I think that's how it happened.

QLD
10-18-2002, 04:12 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has been a public service announcement paid for by the Armageddgon Foundation against Crappy Movies.

James Boba Fettfield
10-18-2002, 10:49 PM
After the fall of the Eastern Front in World War 2 the Nazi soldiers were driven back and they began to destroy everything in their way. These soldiers ended up running out of food since it was winter, so they reverted to cannibalism. They rounded up a lot of children, Hannibal and his baby sister included, and killed the adults. The children were then kept as their food supply. When the soldiers came to pick a child to eat they almost pick Hannibal, but decided to take his baby sister. They do so, and Hannibal does not see his sister alive after this. He then describes that the next time he ever saw evidence of his sister's death was when he found some of her teeth in the stool pit. Basically, he found her remains in the solid waste product in the hole the soldiers used as a toilet.

derek
10-19-2002, 09:02 AM
thanks for clearing that up james.

that's pretty gory. which book is that backstory in?

Beast
10-19-2002, 09:17 AM
Yes, thanks alot for clearing that up James. Derek, it's in the Hannibal novel, like I said above. But they cut any refrence to explaining why Hannibal is the way he is out of the movie version. :( Which is no big suprise, since they totally butchered the original novel's ending. Not that I consider the novel's ending very realistic. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
10-19-2002, 09:26 AM
That's lame - why would a cannibal eat someone's teeth?

James Boba Fettfield
10-19-2002, 02:21 PM
Maybe they just threw her teeth in there. They never really explained what parts of her were eaten and such.

hurrikane
10-21-2002, 12:20 AM
He confirmed he was being superman's father on Howard stern.

Tycho
11-28-2006, 03:42 AM
I've been watching "the Hannibal trilogy" as of late, and yes, I'd vote for a prequel I think - telling more of Hannibal's story rather than the killer of the hour (Buffalo Bill, the Toothe Fairy, etc.)