PDA

View Full Version : Phone Booth shelved 'indefinitely"...

Eternal Padawan
10-17-2002, 10:11 AM
...and this movie goer, for one, is peeved. I've been following this movie's "career" for the past two years. I read the script many moons ago and was intrigued when it crossed the desks of Jim Carrey, Will Smith, Jerry Bruckheimer before landing in Joel Schumacher's lap. Sure, he sucked up the Batman movies, but he also did Falling Down, and recently Tigerland. Both of which are excellent films in my book. And to top it off he cast the lead with Colin Farell, Hollywood's new "it" guy before he had done anything else. So now, it was finally getting to see the light of day, and some jerk with a rifle and some nervous **** studio exec have canned it again.

Why do studios think people can't tell the difference between movies and reality. Are they afraid the public will blame the film on the real life events, and in turn, personally hold the exec responsible? Or that the studio is "cashing in" on the real events (never mind that the film was in the can almost two years ago and the script was making the rounds years before that)?

I HATE the knee jerk reactionaries who run things in the movie business. :mad:

2-1B
10-17-2002, 02:04 PM
I'm not surprised. I saw the trailer awhile back, and thought it looked fun. I saw it again last weekend and I kinda assumed it would be shelved . . . there's been quite a precedent for delaying movies lately. :(

This is Schumacher's second straight delayed movie.
(Bad Company being the other one)

The Overlord Returns
10-17-2002, 02:20 PM
censorship! It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Rogue II
10-17-2002, 02:25 PM
I heard they just pushed the release date back until Spring 2003.

I will admit, I live in the DC area. I haven't been going out as much as I was a couple weeks ago. I don't see the any reason to delay the movie. They are just being over-sensitive. If they were that concerned about what people think, they shouldn't have made the movie in the first place.

SithDroid
10-18-2002, 12:45 AM
Well I'm not surprised by this. Last year 3 movies got pushed back due to 9/11. Bad Company, Big Trouble, and Collateral Damage. I was living in LA at the time and I got asked to go see a screener of Collateral Damage after 9/11 because the studio wanted to know if the subject matter was inappropriate to be released at that time. That's why Phone Booth has been pulled. Granted I don't beleive in this philosophy at all. If the general movie going public can't decipher "fiction" from reality then they have a problem. I for one say that they should release the film, heck it would probably do real well. Sometimes I get tired of living in this politically correct society where we have to be sensitive to everyones feelings.

QLD
10-18-2002, 01:55 AM
Joel Schumacher is Satan. Just thought I would say it ;)

So is Jerry Bruckheimer.

:crazed:

Beast
10-18-2002, 07:51 PM
I went and saw "The Ring" today, and they still had the cardboard stand-up advertising "Phone Booth" opening Nov. 25th. But Moviefone.com says that it's due in theaters on Feb 15, 2003. So no clue what is going on. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mike Troxell
10-22-2002, 04:56 PM
The movie theater I work at had to take the standee down, as well as all one-sheets.

Eternal Padawan
10-23-2002, 10:08 AM
You can bet I snagged all the one -sheets as soon as I heard... :) Yeah. All TWO of them.

How was "The Ring" JJB? Everyone is saying it's really scary. Even my usually jaded movie critic friends said they were "a little freaked out" watching it. NO spoilers, though. I still haven't made any time in my busy schedule to see it. :)

Beast
10-23-2002, 10:20 AM
I'm starting to think that "Phone Booth" may end up getting a quiet direct to video release, thanks to the Sniper attacks that are going on now. It sucks how people have to be so PC with crap like this. Yet most psychologists say that seeing a movie like this is a release. Thats why rentals and purchases of "terrorist" themed movies went up after the 9/11 happenings. Nothing makes you feel better about somthing then an American Action Star kicking some bad guy arse. :)

As for "The Ring", definatly go see it. An excellent film that breaks the usual horror conventions. Great acting, chills, thrills, and scary moments, without the need of resorting to gore to shock you. It makes me want to try to get ahold of the original Japanese films, hopefully they release them on DVD over here. :)

The biggest problem about "The Ring", is that it doesn't seem to be doing all that well at the box office. Everyone I know that goes to see it, says that the theater is usually almost empty. That's depressing, because it doesn't help more unique horror films get made, if the movie going public doesn't support them. We'll be back to the same stupid dreck at the theaters at this rate. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
10-23-2002, 10:29 AM
Word of Mouth is very important. It's been spreading in my little college town. The usual Monday night attendance of the average film ( currently like Sweet Home Alabamba or Red Dragon for example) is 5-10 people. The Ring has been getting crowds of 40 or more. That's really good on a slow week night.

Everyone GO SEE IT! (maybe we should start a new thread about it...hmmmmm)

Rogue II
10-25-2002, 01:02 PM
Good News! Not everyone is trying to be PC. I flipping through the channels the other night and Encore was showing Enemy at the Gates.

Prince Xizor
10-28-2002, 04:31 PM
Emeny at the Gates was a damn good movie.

I am upset, as the rest of you are, at the delay of Phone Booth. I was really looking forward to this movie. I think Colin Farrell is a great actor (Even though his roles have been limited...) and I also love Katie Holmes (For a differant reason...). Now that they have caught the guy, maybe they will push the release date up.

Eternal Padawan
04-06-2003, 09:53 AM
Huzzah! Phone Booth came out Friday and I'm seeing it today.

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just bump this bad boy back to the top of the list.

Thoughts? ( on the film...not on the thread bump..)

Darth Jax
04-06-2003, 11:25 AM
saw it last nite. was impressed that the story could be so well driven consisting of essential one character and a voice on the phone. to give all a chance to see it will refrain from giving anything away. anyone that enjoyed frailty will like this movie.

darthvyn
04-06-2003, 07:45 PM
so it seems, judging from the last post date, that it takes just about six months for the general populace to stop being sensitive about a subject like this, as per the movie studios' line of thinking...

i'm quite interested in this movie... looks real good.

Prince Xizor
04-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Awesome movie. Farrell impresses again...

Eternal Padawan
04-07-2003, 05:00 PM
Yes. I was equally impressed with Keifer. he seemed to be having a good time with the "role" ;)

I know the whole thing only took ten days to shoot, but it seemed like Katie Holmes took about five minutes to shoot her stuff. She was hardly in it! Her quick phone conversation and then she just stands in the crowd for the rest of the movie.

And does anyone think they tacked on that ending after Keifer was recast as the voice? It's just the way the pizza guy gives Stu the slow burn before he walks away.

RooJay
04-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Geez EP...how many times do you suppose Ron Eldard is going to come up in threads the two of us decide to join in on? LOL! What are the odds?!

Of course, I'm talking about the fact that the movie was originally filmed with Ron Eldard in the role of the shooter. Apparently, it was felt that Mr. Eldard didn't come off menacing enough, so Sutherland was brought in to redub all of the shooter's dialogue...and most likely to reshoot the end scene as well. I'd tend to doubt that the Pizza Guy was ever anything more than a decoy to allow the shooter to escape.

2-1B
04-08-2003, 12:49 AM
I saw it tonight and thought it was pretty cool. :cool: Nope, I don't doubt for a second that the pizza guy was always meant to be the fallguy.

Ron Eldard aka Skank from "Mystery, Alaska" ? :D I'd be curious to hear some of his work as the phone voice . . . very curious.

Colin was great of course, but I was bothered at first by the accent he used. Not a major complaint, just something that irked me a bit. :)

The Overlord Returns
04-14-2003, 01:08 PM
I still can't believe Joel Schumacher made this film....

Very well done........

bobafrett
04-14-2003, 04:39 PM
Hmmmm, based on the above positive reviews, I may go see this one. I forgot where I read it, but I saw a negative review, and I thought I might wait until after it came out on video.

Kidhuman
07-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Saw this movie llast night. Really good. Yeah Caesar, I didn't buy the pizza guy for one second. Colin was good in this movie. But gotta give props to Ghost Dog himself Forrest Whitaker in another good performance.