PDA

View Full Version : Cinema repeat business not what it use to be. DVD will assimilate you!

Patient Zero
10-17-2002, 10:35 AM
Don't make Rick cry!

I have to say after seeing TPM 9 times in the theater and AOTC only twice I have to agree with this article.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/17/film.dvd.reut/index.html

Pendo
10-17-2002, 11:20 AM
I too agree with the article. I don't think it is ALL the fault of DVDs though, it's the raise in prices and the fact that nothing original is released anymore :(. Also, I don't think kids are as into movies as we were when we were kids. Now all kids are into are alcohol, smoking, being popular, making out with the girls, and getting into trouble :rolleyes:. Going to see a movie probably isn't something the consider "cool", which is also why they're all so loud mouthed during the films :mad:.

DVDs are a reason though, especially because of their release close to the Cinema release, people think they can wait a bit longer to see it. Perhaps if the DVD release was set back a few years...

...NAH...:rolleyes:

PENDO!

JediTricks
10-17-2002, 04:32 PM
Anything to excuse Ep 2's weak take, huh Rick? :D Maybe if you hadn't made it clear the DVD would be out before year's-end, there would have been more interest in theatergoing.

mini-rock
10-17-2002, 07:37 PM
I've never been a big fan of going to the theater, but I wanted the "theater experience" in my home. The only movies I've seen more than once in a theater are Jurassic Park (7) Star Wars SE re-release (12) Star Wars EP1 (19) and Star Wars EP2 (19). I bought my theater so I wouldn't have to go to a commercial theater any more, and mine with out a doubt outperforms most commercial theaters out there. I don't know what they could do to get more people to go to a commercial theater, and personally I do not care if they all just went POOF! Movies will still be made, but we would be able to watch new films from the comfort of our own homes.

187-Maul
10-18-2002, 07:22 AM
well first of all here i france the prices are a bit different:
cinema, popcorn and drink: about 12-15 euro (~12-15$)
DVD: 30 euro (~30$)
so it still is cheaper to go to the movies (ticket with school pass is only 6 euro)
and ok, I download movies, but movies I'm really interested in, I go to see them in the cinemam but the VHS/DVD or rent them cause download quality is often very bad

and pendo, it's not totally true what you said: ok, I'm into alcohol (which is legal here from the age of 16), but I don't smoke, don't want to "make out with girls", rather get together with one I totally love, don't want to "get in trouble" by example grafitti, and I still think going to the movies is cool, I love it:) and often go in a big group, with like 8 people or so

Pendo
10-18-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
and pendo, it's not totally true what you said: ok, I'm into alcohol (which is legal here from the age of 16), but I don't smoke, don't want to "make out with girls", rather get together with one I totally love, don't want to "get in trouble" by example grafitti, and I still think going to the movies is cool, I love it:) and often go in a big group, with like 8 people or so

You've never been to England then have you ;)! Kids here are terrible now :zzz:! Almost all the kids are smoking and drinking from a very young age and teenage pregnancy rates here are one of the highest in the world.
I know that not ALL of the kids are like that, but alot of them are!

Anyway... I'm going the cinema tonight so at least I'll always be a cinema goer. I don't really care if other people stop going, as long as they still show the movies.

PENDO!

InsaneJediGirl
10-18-2002, 07:18 PM
I agree partially with the article as well.I really hate spending $6.00 for an afternoon showing,then have the movie interrupted by other movie goers.It is much easier for me to wait until the DVD is released and order it on NetFlix.Most people already have nice Home Entertainment Systems,so they dont feel they are missing on something big.

Movies will continue to make money..just not enough for film makers to be happy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Josh
10-21-2002, 06:21 AM
Nah..I saw TPM 21 times, AOTC 22 times, and LOTR 17 times, I dont agree. Of course I'll watch the DVD tons and tons, but theres nothing like seeing a film in the theater with a big ol audience.

Beast
10-21-2002, 06:27 AM
Maybe you saw them that many time, but the repeat business is slowing and a lot of people don't even bother seeing movies at the theaters anymore. Back in 1999 theaters were raking in alot more business and money then they do now.

It's just the nature of the beast. With movies coming to DVD between 4-6 months after they appear in the theater, there is no draw anymore for people to go see a movie more then once.

Ole Ricky boy isn't the first one to notice this, my local theater is feeling it as well. You just can't get giant box office returns like Titanic and E1 had anymore, thanks to the home video format killing the repeat moviegoers. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
10-21-2002, 09:45 AM
I've just read that cinema visits in the UK has risen nearly twice as much as last year. It looks like Cineams are still going strong here.

PENDO!

Chewtobacco
10-21-2002, 11:33 PM
If you want good quality high-budget films to be made, we, as movie-lovers have an obligation to spend our money on them.
Lets face it, if we don't spend our cash, we'll end up with the same quality movies that you see overseas. Nothing high budget, and definately crappy sci-fi movies. So don't complain about spending $25 US to take your date to the movies. It's worth it. The alternative is not pretty. If you want to know what that's like, see your next foreign low budget film and see if it's worth $5!!! If you want to save some money, don't buy the popcorn and soda.