PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Episode II and Wal-Mart

Dar' Argol
10-17-2002, 07:46 PM
Here's the info for the Star Wars release at Wal-Mart 11/12:D

Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones

Collectors, new fans and Holiday Shoppers will be anxious to purchase the second episode of this pre-quel. Sales of this release and related merchandise WILL impact your buisness. Be ready! The DVD/VHS release is November 12th.

Event Supporter

Exclusive Dept 7 product
Supercenter Bakery program - display of movie and licensed cupcakes.
Wal-Mart radio countdown show
Tear pad with bar code(movie pallet). Customers can view a deleted scene from Episode II Attack of the Clones by scanning the tear pad bar code in the Home Entertainment Dept
Star Wars mini Poster

Midnight Madness
24-hour stores and those that are making plans to extend hours might consider the following to bring customers back to the store for a November 12, 12:01am purchase.

Distribute exclusive mini poster
Demo toys and light-sabers

Dedicate Associates to pull the movie pallet to the front of the store. Cover the pallet with something easy to remove at 12:01am. Place toy pallet of Star Wars merchandise in close proximity to the movies. Maki it easy for your customers to find this by creating a Star Wars merchandise destination.

Stores that are not open the evening before the release should have the Star Wars destination(movies and toy pallet) staged before opening the morning of 11/12/02. Customers will want this merchandise!

Timeline

Oct. 30
- Nov I TAB front cover call out
- Set Star Wars product/Episode I movie Pallet
Nov. 1 - Nov. 11 Midnight
- Set 4 sided Star Wars toy and Episode I movie Pallet:
Side A - Episode I DVD and tear pad
Side B - Hasbro Star Wars Figures. Dept 7 Associate to pull from sidecounter.
Side C - Hasbro Deluxe Light Saber #84886. Dept 7 Associate to set.
Side D - Lego Jango Fett's Slave I Cargo Case Copack #65153. Dept 7 Associate to set.
Nov. 4
- Wal-Mart Radio "countdown to release" show begins and continues through 11/12
Nov. 11
- Midnight Madness Event for participating Stores
- Minit Poster
- Star Wars commercial airs nationwide through 11/24
- Utilize PA announcements to remind customers about the release. If midnight madness events are planned, invite customers back that evening for the festivities.
Nov. 12
- Pallet converts to:
Side A - presale message and Episode I product replaced with Episode II DVD merchandise
Side B - Hasbro merchandise is removed and is replaced with Episode II DVDs
DVD/VHS release
Nov. 10-24
- Bakery program 4 sided display. Three sides of movies and one of Star Wars cupcakes. Anderson rep will deliver movie pallet. Bakery Associate should provide the themed cupcakes to fill one side.
Licensed cupcakes are available.

Don't compromise the integrity of your store by allowing sales of these releases prior to the street date. For those customers interested in purchasing the movie prior to the street date, direct them to Wal-Mart.com for our pre-sell promotion.

As always, each store will decide at what level of participation they will have. But that is the info for the DVD/VHS release

Enjoy:D

Sith Lord 0498
10-17-2002, 10:03 PM
Sounds like Wal-Mart's trying to learn from their past mistakes, eh?

"Don't compromise the integrity of your store by allowing sales of these releases prior to the street date."

Looks like they're trying to keep last April's toy fiasco from happening all over again. ;)

SirSteve
10-17-2002, 10:55 PM
Excellent news! Thanks!

2-1B
10-18-2002, 12:54 AM
CUPCAKES ! ! ! ! ! :crazed:

jedihunter25
10-18-2002, 01:29 AM
Hopefully this will open those Hasbro boxes of all the stuff we don't see that's been collecting dust in the overstock backroom for months.

plasticfetish
10-18-2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
- Bakery program 4 sided display. Three sides of movies and one of Star Wars cupcakes. Anderson rep will deliver movie pallet. Bakery Associate should provide the themed cupcakes to fill one side.
Licensed cupcakes are available.

YEAH! What Caeser said.

The DVD release is cool and all I suppose ... but I'm totally amped for some of those "themed cupcakes"!

I wonder what the selection will be. Will there be variations? Should I ask Thrawn about the possible collectible value of these cupcakes? How can you tell the difference between a cupcake variation and a cupcake error anyway? Will they be chocolate or plain cake flavor or perhaps something more unique?

I'm so very excited.;)

jedihunter25
10-18-2002, 02:02 AM
I wonder how much the cupcakes will go on Ebay for in 5-10 years.:crazed:I sure some scalper psycho will will try it. :greedy:

plasticfetish
10-18-2002, 02:21 AM
ooh ... I never even thought about eBay. That's such a funny idea ... I might even try it a few days after. What would be funny, would be to get as many SSG members as possible to auction off Star Wars cupcakes on eBay. It'd be a nice communal prank ... but it'd cost 30 cents per person or whatever.

jedihunter25
10-18-2002, 02:31 AM
I'm in for it!!! It would be fun- just to see if we have any :stupid: bidders!:D

LTBasker
10-18-2002, 11:18 AM
Mmm...cupcakes... My Wal-Mart had cupcakes for the 4/23 midnight madness, they were goood. They had little partyfavor rings on them and it was a 6pack, unfortunately there were only 3 rings so you got two of each. They were Vader, 3PO and ever loveable R2. :D

I can't believe they'd actually have a midnight madness thing for a DVD release, weird. Definitely going though! (As long as the deleted scene that comes up when the code is scanned doesn't have Portman in it. :D)

InsaneJediGirl
10-18-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
CUPCAKES ! ! ! ! ! :crazed:

My thoughts exactly Caesar:D;)

Hopefully my WM will be doing this promotion.Maybe they'll put out some new toys too.It would only make sense.:D Dar'Argol,Do you know if WM Employees will be getting special DVD-release badges to wear on their vests?

sith_killer_99
10-18-2002, 10:08 PM
OK, a cupcake VARIATION is when there is a change to the pakaging ie misspelled ingredients etc. An ERROR is when they accidentally pack the white cupcakes in a chocolate package, or one of the cupcakes packed in is just a plain old cupcake. hehehe

Ebay, ummmmmmmmm cupcakes:D

too funny.

LTBasker
10-19-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
Hopefully my WM will be doing this promotion.Maybe they'll put out some new toys too.It would only make sense.:D Dar'Argol,Do you know if WM Employees will be getting special DVD-release badges to wear on their vests? [/B]

I wouldn't doubt that they are, my aunt brought me home a button she got for the upcoming Santa Clause release for DVD, so no doubt if they're going through all this stuff for E2, that they will have a button for it, heck I wouldn't be suprised if they had multiples ones. My aunt brought my sister home two different Beauty and the Beast ones this month for the DVD.

Dar' Argol
10-19-2002, 11:20 PM
Dar'Argol,Do you know if WM Employees will be getting special DVD-release badges to wear on their vests?

I would assume so. We had one for the trilogy release and I think we had one for the Episode I release and heck, we even had one for the E2 toy release. So I would hope so;)

Josh
10-21-2002, 07:19 AM
Wal-Mart rocks!

OC47150
10-21-2002, 02:07 PM
$50 or more for a five-year-old stale cupcake. That's a picture for you!!

Arrogant Arse
10-21-2002, 04:05 PM
So..If the Wal-Mart guy putting out the cupcakes accidentally creases the box for the cupcakes, does it drop the collector value of the cupcake? I hope not, I had that creased box problem with the "Dude Where's my car?" Pre-Release cupcakes.

plasticfetish
10-21-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Arrogant Arse
So..If the Wal-Mart guy putting out the cupcakes accidentally creases the box for the cupcakes, does it drop the collector value of the cupcake? I hope not, I had that creased box problem with the "Dude Where's my car?" Pre-Release cupcakes.

I never even considered a "boxed" value for the cupcakes ... I was only thinking loose. This is getting very complicated.

Dar' Argol
10-22-2002, 12:12 AM
You know, I knew something like this would happen. Here I give you all the inside scoop on the AOTC release, and you guys are going nuts over the cupcakes. He he he . . . . . .you all are a bunch of nuts!!! ;) :D :D :D :D :D

scruffziller
10-22-2002, 06:28 AM
YES!!!! The 12th is a Tuesday!!!! I have that night off!!!(well actually that morning)......hopefully they won't change my schedule.

InsaneJediGirl
10-22-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
You know, I knew something like this would happen. Here I give you all the inside scoop on the AOTC release, and you guys are going nuts over the cupcakes. He he he . . . . . .you all are a bunch of nuts!!! ;) :D :D :D :D :D

Dar,How can you call us crazy?I'm going to send myself to college with those Cupcakes;):D;)We shall see who gets the last laugh:p :crazed: :crazed:

Plasticfetish..the only problem with loose would be bugs/accidental squashings.If I get extra icing on my cupcake,does that increase it in value?
:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

LTBasker
10-22-2002, 05:32 PM
If I get extra icing on my cupcake,does that increase it in value?
:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Don't forget about sprinkle variations! :sur: If there are any sprinkles...

Dar, I think the reason why the cupcakes are the most focused on thing here is because while watching the E2 DVD, what's better to eat than Star Wars cupcakes? It's just perfect! :happy:

El Chuxter
10-22-2002, 05:42 PM
I understand that, halfway through the cupcakes' production, they're going to switch the color of the icing, which gives us army-builders incentive to get more cupcakes! :crazed::Pirate:

Dar, any word on price yet? I know (or at least suspect) that the individual stores set their own prices based on local competition, and the actual sale price will have to wait until the day of, but do you know yet what WM's base price will be?

Beast
10-22-2002, 06:01 PM
That's incorrect El Chuxter, infact they only baked 1 cupcake. They made it the very best cupcake possible, and then they turned it over to the Kamino Cloners to clone the Cupcakes. AOTC's = Attack of the Cupcakes. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
10-22-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
That's incorrect El Chuxter, infact they only baked 1 cupcake. They made it the very best cupcake possible, and then they turned it over to the Kamino Cloners to clone the Cupcakes. AOTC's = Attack of the Cupcakes. :crazed: :D

Man...all the cupcakes are gonna be CGI except for that first one, which will get the icing cut off. :cry:

Beast
10-22-2002, 06:19 PM
Just avoid the OT version of the cupcakes, they are clones of clones. They all banged their tops against the top of the box and mashed the frosting. :cry: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
10-22-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Dar, any word on price yet? I know (or at least suspect) that the individual stores set their own prices based on local competition, and the actual sale price will have to wait until the day of, but do you know yet what WM's base price will be?

I haven't heard a price yet. I just got the new flyer today at work that comes out for Oct 30-Nov 5, and there is no price listed, ust that it comes out on 11/12. I will check at work tomorrow to see if I can get a price. Most likely the base price will be $21.96.

So, do you open your cupcakes or not???? And what if I can find a pack with one packaged up-side down??? Will that increase the value??? :crazed:

El Chuxter
10-23-2002, 01:09 PM
Just avoid the OT version of the cupcakes, they are clones of clones. They all banged their tops against the top of the box and mashed the frosting. :cry: :D

I think that WM cloned the original cupcakes, but once a demand was out there, they started ordering all sorts of yummy cupcakes to fill their racks. I don't care what the trading cards say; I'll believe that even if the ghost of Sam Walton tells me otherwise!

:Pirate:

plasticfetish
10-24-2002, 10:59 PM
I'm hoping to trade many cupcakes for this protoype of the the Ralph McQuarrie x-mas droid figure thingy, that's for sale on eBay ... here! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1780445593)

Beast
10-24-2002, 11:03 PM
K-Mart's ad for that week lists AOTC's for $14.95, so expect the same from Wal-Mart or similar. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
10-25-2002, 12:55 PM
Yeah... that.

Hey! Did somebody say "CUPCAKES"????? Wheeeeeee! :happy:

Rogue II
10-25-2002, 01:32 PM
I suppose I'll buy ATOC from Walmart since it is closer. But then again, KMart is next door to TRU, and I could stop by and get my Silver R2.....Oh, decisions, decisions.

If you take he bottom half of a cupcake, give it new frosting and a micromachine X-Wing, could you call it Kup Ekac and sell it for $80 on Ebay?

InsaneJediGirl
10-25-2002, 03:13 PM
K-Mart selling AOTC for $15 isnt bad,although one can always get WM to price match with the ad:D

Originally posted by Rogue II
If you take he bottom half of a cupcake, give it new frosting and a micromachine X-Wing, could you call it Kup Ekac and sell it for $80 on Ebay?

LOL...It could be a SSG exclusive.Every Starwars Collector will want one,just think of the
collectible value.:crazed:

Dar' Argol
10-25-2002, 08:40 PM
K-Mart's ad for that week lists AOTC's for $14.95, so expect the same from Wal-Mart or similar. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I was just going to say something about that. WM's base price is $15.92 and with K-Mart going to $14.95, WM will most likely have it for $14.82 . . . . . . . I think:D