PDA

View Full Version : memorable moments

good shot jansen
10-18-2002, 07:09 AM
Having just scored the new wave II action fleet, (most notably the at-te), the feeling of joy upon seeing this thing on the shelf, brought back emotions from my action fleet collecting past.

Finding action fleet for the 1st time in a walgreen drug store. It was an a-wing, I was amazed at the detail and felt that it would make a good toy for my almost 2 year old son. Boy was I right!

Stumbling upon the galoob web site, and clicking the link for the buzz board. Wow! You mean to tell me, there are other people out there, who love action fleet as much as me?

Seeing battlepacks for the 1st time at toys r us. Cool, you can get a ton of action fleet scaled figures to play with your action fleet vehicles. Excellent!

seeing the hoth and death star playsets at toys r us. yay! a really cool play set to stage battles with....whoa! you mean to tell me, they included battle damaged vehicles as well?!!! have i told you lately that i absolutely love galoob?

Getting my 1st action fleet toy from a fellow collector. Vt sent me a virago that he was amazingly able to snag for 8 dollars (these things were getting 40 samolians or more on ebay at the time).

Seeing the gian speeder sneak preview set for the 1st time at toys r us. Wow, we’re really gonna be getting a new star wars movie, with entirely new vehicles to collect!

Finding the e-wing and tie defender on clearance at target. Whew! Tracking these two toys down took the better of a year or so to find them.

Finding the episode I series alpha’s at targets. Wow! da heck are these things?!!? I didn’t even know they were coming out with em!, cool the alphas are action fleet sized. Need mas quantities, make more!

Finding wave II of the new hasbro released action fleet. The 1st new action fleet toys in three years!!!!!!

Here’s to more memorable moments in the months and years to come

vulcantouch
10-18-2002, 11:37 AM
as i recall that virago i snagged u came with a stand that didn't seem to quite accomodate it, & as a non-af collector i didn't know why til after sendin it to you & you let me know it was cuz the stand actually went to a Bwing :rolleyes: lesson lurned, i rarely bountyhunt outta my area of xpertise :stupid:
vt

SWAFMAN
10-18-2002, 06:05 PM
I don't suppose you picked up an extra set (or three), gsj???

still no joy locally as of today.... :(

oops! next time I'll read all the curernt posts before posting.

Thanks for asking the clerk if there were any more AFs, gsj!

:)

Jedi Idej
10-18-2002, 09:55 PM
A few come to mind.

Memorable moments
Years ago, finding the 3 micromachines packs of Starship Troopers at Media Play when all I ever saw at TRU were action-fleet. The only time I ever saw those in stores.

Coming across a loose set of the BP with Barada on eBay. I forgot to bid, but luckily, no one else did either and I was able to buy it off the guy.

Forgetable moments
Coming across the 3-4 ships in the E-wing wave when they first hit stores and picking them all up except for the E-wing because "that one's bound to be a shelf-warmer".

Finding the Alien action-fleet ships at a comic shop. "$14! Bah. I'll buy them at Target."

SWAFMAN
10-19-2002, 09:27 AM
Memorable

#1 = Finding this site, and all the great experiences that have developed from it.

2. Finding my 1st SWAFs at the local WallyWorld & displaying them next to my monitor while playing lucasarts X-Wing PC-game

3. Discovering via the BuzzBoard that I wasn't the only person over 10 yrs old who thought these were pretty darn cool ships

4. My kids getting old enough to play with the ships (without instantly trying to put pilots or astromech droids in their mouths), and watching them play with the ships, figs and playsets (and joining-in myself, sometimes).

5. Me and the kids unboxing and setting up our loose ships on display shelves in the computer room.

6. The "like father, like son" feeling of seeing for the first time, the couple SWAF ships my son has displayed on his dresser in his room.

Forgettable

The roof leak that got lots of the boxed collection wet

Felix Lu from the Bay Area selling me a "mint" (read as "expensive") Predator that arrived with a box that looked like it fell out of a tree, and hit every branch on the way down.

Hasbro's apparent loss of committment to a consistent standard of quality, value and playability for this great line.

jeddah
10-19-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by vulcantouch
i rarely bountyhunt outta my area of xpertise :stupid:
vt

Don't gimme that crap, you lurned a gud lesun, look how well you done; all those AFs and BP thingamajiggers you sent me - and I'm not referring to GSJs sacrificial E-wing :)

sloppy wet :kiss:

jeddah

Jedi Idej
10-20-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN

Felix Lu from the Bay Area selling me a "mint" (read as "expensive") Predator that arrived with a box that looked like it fell out of a tree, and hit every branch on the way down.

The ship's packaging was sent to you already damaged? That sucks. Did you at least get some of your money back?

Jayspawn
10-20-2002, 08:09 PM
My favorite Action Fleet related moment was when I found the Slave I. Star Wars is big in my area and it was nowhere to be seen. Plus there are some Action Fleet scalping scum in my area. The trick was beating them too. Anyways, I found it and I was estatic!!!

SWAFMAN
10-20-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Idej:
The ship's packaging was sent to you already damaged? That sucks. Did you at least get some of your money back?

He would not offer any money to compensate for the misrepresented packaging, but he offered to take the whole thing back, less shipping. I kept it. I wanted the ship, or I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. Sending it back due to the NOT-mint packaging would've cost me the original shipping from him to me, plus my cost to ship it back to him. I'd have been out about $10, and still not have the ship. And, then he'd just turn around and get to sell it again to someone else, and again lie about the packaging. So that's why I kept it.

haggie
10-21-2002, 05:38 PM
My moments:

Finding the E-Wing wave at three consecutive Targets in one day. All on clearance along with oodles of older AFs. I was just getting into AF and had no idea about the rarity of my find. I passed on the Barge and bought one TIE Defender and one E-Wing and one of each of the older AFs they had between the three stores.

Acquiring a Tank, my fave from TPM. I found piles of Royal Starships and Sith Infiltrators at my local WalMart but no Tanks. I was later able to get a Tank from a guy down in south Denver. I think his name was Michael (maybe O'Reily?) and I have no recollection of how I even found this guy. He said his son (who was in his 20s) collected AF and that he had ties with a guy in another state so he could help his son find new AFs. He was able to score me a Tank from Kansas (I think). I drove all the way down to a Good Times in south Denver to meet him. He only charged me for $15 to cover the cost of the toy + shipping. Maybe somebody in this forum is that guy's son (or even that guy himself). If so, speak up!

I also scored some AFs from a guy in NYC. I emailed him because he was buying up all the Slave Is on eBay and I was trying to buy one at the time. I emailed to ask him WTF. He ended up finding me a Falcon/Interceptor on clearance at a NY TRU and also traded me a loose (complete including box) TIE Defender for something really insignificant that I can't recall now (this is before I bought one of the three others I found at Target).

Completing starwarsactionfleet.com after MONTHS of work in my spare time. I was so glad to see that site finally finished that I almost never wanted to see it again. Hence, this is why I haven't made the additions that I have sitting around like sections for Customizers, Links, and Collectors.

JediTricks
10-21-2002, 10:56 PM
Cool thread! I have 2 memorable moments that stand out immediately:

- Late 1993, Phoenix, AZ Metrocenter TRU: browsing the aisles, I came across the MM SPACE racks when out of the corner of my eye was spotted a most welcome sight, a Star Trek vehicle. Upon rapid (and rabid) inspection, 3 Trek vehicles, then 3 more, then 3 more, then 3 SW vehicles, and 3 more, and 3 more! I was pretty broke, but I knew I had to have the ANH and ESB SWMM 3packs and the TNG and Movie STMM 3packs, that was all I could afford. I remember the ride home on the bus, I kept peeking into the big TRU bag that housed my little MM treasures and enjoyed the heck out of opening and displaying all the vehicles in my bedroom.

-----

- A few years later, Burbank, CA TRU: still broke but finally moved back to LA, I occasionally looked through the toy stores... mostly for Playmates Trek figs and vehicles. MM had become stagnate for a few months, but looking at aisle 7 I spotted some boxes that would change my life.

When I was a little kid, I had a die cast snowspeeder that I played with a lot, but in the sandy tundras of Hoth (sandy because it was a schoolyard in So Cal and that was the closest thing to snow I could find at the time) after repeated crashes and escapes, my trusty snowspeeder finally lost its way and was too well buried.

Returning our story to early '96, there were these gray boxes that said Star Wars Action Fleet on 'em and the store had X-wings, Snowspeeders, and Vader's TIE Fighters. The back of the boxes showed others, but these 3 were clearly the focus of my early Action Fleet attentions. I couldn't afford all 3, so I scraped up enough to get 2 of 'em... I think it was the X-wing and Snowspeeder. But I was beaming all the way home, often looking into the big TRU bag at my prizes.

LTBasker
10-21-2002, 11:15 PM
The best moments I remember was when I was found the Star Wars micro-machines the second time. Why the first time wasn't as important was because the first time I saw them, I only saw the ROTJ pack at a Wal-Mart but I didn't think I could get it since I was getting some figures so I kept silent about it. Anyways the second time I saw them I was so thrilled to see all three sets and be told I could get them, I was way into military micro-machines and got such a kick out of the SW micros with each wave that came out along with the Star Trek ones.

The first time I saw Action Fleet though, that was so awesome. I was amazed because they included both figures, and the vehicles were all incredible looking. I can't remember if I first got the X-wing or the Snowspeeder, I think it was the Snowspeeder since I could fit two inside of it, the next day though I got the shuttle. Lots of fun with all of that. :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-22-2002, 09:33 PM
Hmmm, I'm a clearance maven, so a lot of my memorable moments involve myself finding AF or MM items real cheap!

Finding the following on clearance:
The oodles of MM sets at TRU for $0.97
MM Set XIV at KB ($1.99)
MM Set XV at Target ($1.40)
Finding the AF Slave I, Green A-wing, AT-AT, 3 different Y-wing Starfighters, DV's Tie Fighter, the Tie Bomber, B-wings, and X-wings at TRU for $1.97
Finding the Rebel vs. Imperial Forces MM Gift Set at Media Play for $1.98
Snagging all 3 Shadows of the Empire sets at KB ($1.99 each)
Snagging 3 of the Epic Forces sets at Big Lots plus a couple of the Mini-heads ($1.99 each)
Finding the Double Takes Death Star at TRU for $6.97

Other memorable finds include:
Bagging a pair of Tie Defenders and Sail Barges at Rite Aid ($9.99-12.99 each)
Finding a Blockade Runner in Canada at a comic shop (about $10 U.S.)
Finding the HTF find Rebel Transport and Cloud City at Rite Aid ($9.99)

Gaffes and Misses

Paying $11.99 for Darth Vaders Lightsaber/Death Star Trench at an Eckerd and $13.99 at a K-mart for a Tie Pilot/Training Academy when I already had both and less than 2 months later I could have picked them up for $2 and $4 respectively at TRU.

Passing up on the last waves of Action Fleet on clearance in late 98' at Target. I remember seeing a few Blockade Runners and Landing Crafts. (That was during a period where I abstained from SW related merchandise for a while).

Passing up on the Tie Interceptor vs. Millennium Falcon on clearance at TRU.

Passing up pretty much every AF EP1 ship other than the initial wave at TRU in 2000. (Oh, I'll see them later I thought).

Wookiee
10-25-2002, 08:45 AM
First time I ever saw AF: my brother had the SnowSpeeder, I remember thinking, Man! is that cool!

First AF I ever got, the Alpha X-wing and the Tie-Interceptor, I got them from K-Mart and rode home on my bike with them. The big Alpha box almost didn't fit in my backpack.

Found Galoob's web site and the Buzz Board. Good times.

Won a prize from a JKF contest for a poem I wrote about StarWars. Got a huge box full of goodies, Classic Duels, MM Master collection, X-Ray Fleet collection, mini-heads, lots of stuff.

Waited for that ToyFair issue to come out to get the Dagobah X-wing. So cool.

Opening up my AF Falcon to find the secret JKF message inside.

Opening up as many of my AF's as I could to look for more messages (none found)

got last E-wing from TRU

found Tie-Defender at Rite Aid Pharmacy. They only had one, and they didn't even have any other AF's at all. It was very strange.

Founding SirSteve's forum after the Buzz Board disbanded.

Wookiee
10-25-2002, 08:46 AM
I meant to say "Finding" Sir Steve's
not "Founding!!"

Jangu Fett
10-25-2002, 08:07 PM
My memorable moment was around the time the AF was first released, and I just started dating my, now, wife. We went to a local mall and I stopped into a KB Toys. I was looking at the SW figures when I noticed Mini-figure sets, with swoop bikes and 1 with a AT-ST. Battle Packs, I didn't see any ships until a week later at Wal-Mart. My wife thought it was silly for a grown man to get so excited over toys. She never seen Star Wars till after we moved in together.

The first set I ever got of the AF was Slave-1;)

The other MM was for midnight maddness at TRU for TPM, like Good Shot said We're getting a new movie and new ships to collect.

I hope the next will be when Hasbro releases mini-figure multi packs. I wasn't to excited about the new AF being without figures:(

Huckleberry Josh
10-25-2002, 08:22 PM
My most memorable moment was seeing That Green A-Wing Fighter and I thought it was stupid looking so I didn't buy it. Then, a couple of days later, I found out it was kind of rare. Man, I felt like such a jackass. I finally found it again and bought it. I was so relieved when I found it again.

vulcantouch
10-29-2002, 10:46 PM
"MM Set XIV at KB ($1.99) / MM Set XV at Target ($1.40)"? as in stmms?? if so Do Elaborate :cool:

good shot jansen
11-04-2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Wookiee

Opening up my AF Falcon to find the secret JKF message inside.

Opening up as many of my AF's as I could to look for more messages (none found)

when i 1st read this, i didn't understand that you meant really opening up the falcon.

(silly me, i thought you was refering to opening up the box, not the ship itself)

in light of my recent posts, i now fully understand:happy:

finding the inscription inside the falcon this morning (the old single pack, as well as the new hasbro saga release!) has once again brought me the joy and excitement that i once felt when i found action fleet for the 1st time!

with just a few twists of a screw driver, i'm back in the saddle again!

Wookiee
11-04-2002, 12:44 PM
When I heard about the message, I remember scrambling all around my apartment looking for a small enough screwdriver to take it apart. I always open all my Action Fleet Ships and I thought it was cool that the designers decided to put the message somewhere where you'd not only have to remove it from the box, but completely take it apart.

-Thats cool that the new saga AF Falcons have the message, I didn't think they would. even though I don't think I need one for my collection, I'm glad they have the message, it's a fun little detail that really makes this line neat.

haggie
11-04-2002, 04:19 PM
Waitaminute... you have to take it apart to see the message? Ah... I've never seen the message and I thought it was when you opened up the back. Guess I'll be taking apart my Falcon to check it out.

JediGoofy
11-05-2002, 10:49 AM
My memorable moment (apart from when I first saw my first MM SW collection and AF vehicle, but that is normal with all of you) is when bc3 wrote he was able to order a small amount of the impossible to find E1 collections XI, XII and XIII, from an on-line UK shop and I was in the list of the lucky people he was going to provide this micro-treasure!!! :D

One of the biggest MM collectors in the world!
And he included me in the list!!
And I was going to get some of the most elusive MM items ever!!!
GREAT!!!! :happy:

bc3 I did not forget, I still owe you.
Thank you again! :)

Ciao,
JediGoofy

sicqnus
11-05-2002, 11:51 AM
Well, back in the past...
I was far from home and I was making my 10 months of military training in the army intelligence. One day when I came back home, I was doing some shopping in a mall near my house (didn't exist anymore...) and they had a full floor dedicated to toys. I saw the first AF's there : the DV Tie fighter and the Slave One. I though : "what a cool toy !!! Exactly the kind of toys which should pleased me when I was younger...". I was really impressed ! So tiny and so well done ! But at this time I did not collect toys at all, I just kept my old Kenner toys safe in my attic.

(A few years later you all know what's happened !).

I came back to my "barracks" during the weeks and one night, some of my friends and I went to a very big theater complex (with THX and very, very big screens) to see the Trilogy Special Edition (1997). A great moment I told you my friends ! In the central hall there were an exhibition with lots of props, costumes, Mc Quarries Matte paintings, story boards, models and a very big window . Inside, a massive collection of Kenner toys : all the ships and vehicles boxed and loose, all the figures carded and loose... Feets and feets of nostalgia.
The following day I went to a supermarket and I bought five figures (orange carded POTF2). The following week, I've ordered four AF ships to the fan-club.

:D Now, I think seriously the army gave me two things : my collection of figures and AF's and my knowledge in killing people. If someday I'll had to kill somebody, then the happy guy must know he will be killed by a guy (me) who knows how to do the job well with any kind of weapon... :evil: :evil: :evil: Noooooo ! I'm kidding !

But if someday I'll see Greedo... Maybe.

Ha! ha! ha! ;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-09-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by vulcantouch
"MM Set XIV at KB ($1.99) / MM Set XV at Target ($1.40)"? as in stmms?? if so Do Elaborate :cool:

By MM set XIV I mean the ship set containing the original Death Star, the Swoop and something that escapes me at the moment. KB had plenty of them for $1.99 during the summer of 99' That was the first time I ever saw them was at there stores.

The MM set XV contained the Tibanna Gas Refinery. I found it in their clearance aisle discounted twice. If I'm not mistaken, this set also was seen at KB for $1.99 during the "Great Purge of 1999."

neonblade
11-10-2002, 01:32 PM
My most amazing moment was going to my local tru and walking to the end of the action figure isle and there were af's and mm- i got 5 or so ships at $1.50 or $2 and picking up yavin base for $4- my mom didn't let me get hoth then so i had to get it off ebay later for around $15 i think- I also rember when i was in florida in a walgreens and i saw the e-wing and tie defender for $15 but put them down because they were more expensive then the usual $10 i had been getting them for
Another one of my great moments was getting the dropship and narcsuis from ebay- (My ultimate dream)
The perfect day for me would be going into some old toystore or a food store and find an e wing a tie defender, royal starship- theed palace (one with broken down speeder in front) and all episode 1 alphas all on clearence
man o man o man- that would b a beautiful day

SWAFMAN
11-20-2002, 12:10 AM
I found another Saga MilFal at WallyWorld. Disassembled the sucker. Wow, it was really glued tightly! I finally got it apart, managing to only take a small bit of blue paint off the rear section, but otherwise with no visible damage to the ship.

The dedication message is much smaller than I imagined. I had to use a light and magnifying glass to really appreciate it. Maybe I'm just getting "old eyes"?

It was cool to finally see the message. A true "memorable moment" in my AF collecting.

Baal
11-20-2002, 06:27 PM
Reading that 1st post, from that
wacko "Vulcan Touch"!
]};{>

vulcantouch
11-20-2002, 10:10 PM
2 can play that game: my fave moment was reading that first Humpost from that wacko Baal! oh wait i forgot, there hasn't Been a first Humpost by baal cuz He's Yet To Join In There! even after i go to the trouble of makin a special post right up his alley (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=190658#post190658) :cry: :cry: :cry: so git over there & make with the nice Humps- and that goes for the resta yoos too, cuz hump season is upon us :o
in other news: though he didn't mention it here, i noticed bc3 recently updated his homepage to not only warn off ebay scalpers that been usin his pix unauthorized, he also added a direct link to artA's thread for letting them know we want new trek mms (http://www.artasylum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000721&p=3), so any of you trekmm fans who haven't yet added your voice oughta :cool:
vt