View Full Version : Lego Mini Sets.

Battle Droid
10-18-2002, 05:18 PM
So what do you guys think of them?

My fav. is the AT-ST.

http://www.rebelscum.com/toys/lego2003mini.jpg

ACPin
10-21-2002, 08:03 AM
These are the MM of Lego! I'll save my money to get the other sets rather than buy these. :(

LTBasker
10-21-2002, 09:42 AM
I think they look pretty cool. The funniest part about them being that we get a more accurate AT-ST this way. :p

If you get all four sets ($4 each) then with the spare parts you can build a TIE Bomber. Plus if you get the UCS Star Destroyer then get a bunch of the X-wing/DV TIE sets and change the DV TIE to TIE Fighters (just some slight adding to it) then you can have a battle that almost looks in scale. :D

JediTricks
10-21-2002, 10:04 PM
These seem to be fairly standard parts except for paint details. If they're cheap enough, I'll buy 'em (maybe not the podracers, they look pretty rank IMO), but that's the determining factor for me, anything over $5 a set seems like a rip unless the parts count is higher than I'm seeing.

LTBasker
10-21-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
anything over $5 a set seems like a rip unless the parts count is higher than I'm seeing.

As I said in my post, they're supposed to be $4 according to FBTB's post:

FBTB
4484 X-Wing and TIE Advanced 76pc $3.99
4485 Anakin and Sebulba Pods 72pc $3.99
4486 Snowspeeder and AT-ST 76pc $3.99
4487 Jedi Starfighter and Slave I 53pc $3.99

Not bad, even if they're not all that great to play with they would make interesting sets to put with the UCS Rebel Blockade Runner or Star Destroyer. Or even a mini display of the asteroid field chase from AOTC done with brown bricks.

fourtwo
10-22-2002, 05:09 PM
i'll get em cause they're cheap as heck. i may get two of each cept the podracers cause i'd like to have a TIE bomber as well as all the others
:)

LTBasker thats a darn good idea though, they would look pretty sweet with the large scale capital ships.

JediTricks
10-22-2002, 11:01 PM
Sorry, didn't notice before. "Supposed to be" isn't the same as a done deal unfortunately, but if they are $4 each, then I'll probably buy multiples of the X-wing/Vader's TIE set, redesign Vader's ship to be a TIE Fighter, and make a nice display.

fourtwo
10-23-2002, 08:59 PM
quite a few possibilities with this line i think. a great chance for them to make many different ships in a small scale, therefore making them cheap enough for everyone to enjoy, not just the high rollers who can buy USC

aceguide
10-24-2002, 11:34 AM
I am looking forwards to these sets. They look very cool. And since I have a younger fan - especially of legos - these are great additions.

Really like the idea that these use existing parts. Chances are you will have them all lying around. I think a black x-wing would be cool. Many other possibilites there.

Variety is the spice of life. This is a good move for lego!

Jangu Fett
10-24-2002, 08:49 PM
To bad they didn't do a mini set with a Repeblic Gunship or AT-TE. I'm still unsure whether or not to get them. Chances are I will though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-28-2002, 08:15 PM
Even mini-er ships. Cool!

darksol28
10-29-2002, 10:24 AM
www.artoosnews.com has high detailed pictures of them up!

Jangu Fett
10-29-2002, 07:08 PM
Its to bad there isn't a set with that mini Blockade Runner that comes with the Star Destroyer. I hope Lego does more sets. One with the BR and maybe a mini Star Destroyer. Just a thought.:D

Battle Droid
10-29-2002, 08:43 PM
U.K. gets a free kit sampler of the Lego Mini Building kits with thier version of the Star Wars magazine. :(

http://www.starwars.com/community/news/2002/10/news20021029.html

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
10-29-2002, 08:48 PM
They're so cute!!

...From a certain point of view!:D

Sweden
10-29-2002, 11:07 PM
They look okay and I’ll buy them all since I collect all Star Wars stuff released by The LEGO Group but it’s a real pitty though that they aren’t in scale with each other even if they’re mini sets but the people who wished for these sets and that might not have a big wallet will smile.

Kindest regards,

Lars “Sweden” Olsson in Sundsvall, Sweden.

Battle Droid
11-02-2002, 05:37 PM
The free UK exclusive set is a Tie Fighter.

http://www.fbtb.net/MINTIE_1mb.jpg

jedi_uk73
11-06-2002, 07:39 AM
The UK mini TIE Fighter set comes with the Official UK Star Wars magazine.

Got my copy last night, the little TIE Fighter looks kinda cool, in a minature sort of way.

May have to get a few more :)

fourtwo
11-06-2002, 09:32 AM
yes, one to send to me at no charge right?
:jedi hand wave
right?

hehe
j/k

Yu_
11-21-2002, 05:57 AM
I got it as well it is cool.. I can see a whole fleat of them on my bookcase when they come out properly :D they haven't got a lot of detal but they still look cool, it's a nice freebe with the mag, and I'm not aposed to paying £3.99 for more of them when they come out..

Aric_D
12-19-2002, 08:34 PM
They need to add:

A-Wing vs. TIE interceptor
Y-Wing vs. AT-AT (we never saw a snowspeeder shoot down an AT-ST, so why could we not have this set?)
Nebulon-B Frigate vs. Star Destroyer (seen in ROTJ, plus I think it would be cool to see a mini nebulon, substitute the nebulon for a B-Wing if Desired)
Millenuim Falcon vs. Slave one (Boba Fett Colors)

JediTricks
12-20-2002, 04:41 AM
The AT-AT is going to come out soon, it'll be sold by itself. I'd like to see all the others you have on your list, but I can't picture a MINI Star Destroyer.

I've seen a couple different unofficial Lego mini B-wings over the years, some are very creative and some are basic yet still pull it off by using hinge plates and a thruster tube (I don't know what these are called, they're molded to a 2-stud plate on one side and are otherwise symmetrical).

I'd like to see a Mini Rebel Hoth Transport, Jabba's Sail Barge, and Imperial Shuttle.

Aric_D
12-20-2002, 07:30 PM
The three ships you mentioned would make most Interesting as mini sets...the AT-AT is going to be sold by itself?..excellent...I'll be buying at least 3 of those..and about 4 of the snowspeeder v.s AT-ST

mista_carrot
12-30-2002, 10:08 PM
Found all four mini sets at my local Target four days ago. They must have just put them out cuz the price wasn't even in the compurter yet! I had to wait while someone ran to the back to check how much it should be. At 2.99 a set, I was very very happy. Cool lego sets that won't break the bank! My fav is of course, the AT-ST. It is also the most complex to build IMO. I also like the Slave I and the TIE Bomber. I also liked the podracers more than I thought I would. The snowspeeder is kinda dinky compared to the AT-ST, but overall, all the vehicles are pretty nice. Highly recommended stuff!

LusiferSam
01-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Bit of a dumb question, do the mini set come in a box or poly bag?

LTBasker
01-09-2003, 12:33 PM
They come in a box, from a review I read, it seems the box can snap open and back shut so that you could build the sets in the box and still have a place to store'em.

fourtwo
01-09-2003, 12:44 PM
pretty good idea if you ask me. i like the clamshell packaging they're releasing these in.
can't wait to find em.
:D

IG65
01-09-2003, 12:50 PM
They just started showing up at Targets in Minnesota. They are great sets! I can't wait to stage battles around my Star Destroyer. Now, if only I can find a mini TIE Fighter ...

Tonysmo
01-16-2003, 02:52 AM
I found them at target, and they are cool. Picked up all of them except the pod racers.. Ill grab that later.. the packaging is cool as well, and they seem to throw in other pieces as well.. ( not just the ones that go with the extra set.. )

cloneemperor
01-19-2003, 02:56 PM
They do. The extra parts from each set combine to make a TIE Bomber.

bobafrett
01-20-2003, 11:56 AM
I just picked up 3 of the 4 sets at a Target here in Illinois. I do believe the extra parts in all 4 sets combine to make a TIE Bomber. The cases are also very nice, unlike the cardboard packages. They are in a plastic clam shell. I still have yet to locate the AT-AT/Snowspeeder set.

fourtwo
01-20-2003, 01:03 PM
i think that will be the hard one to find. its a shame because i wanted to buy many of those so i can have an at-st army.

JediTricks
02-04-2003, 10:03 PM
Finally found these, but only had enough $$$ to buy 1 set. Naturally, I chose the X-wing vs TIE Advanced. This is a really cool set, bigger and more fun to build than I expected. These are the same size as Galoob's Die Cast line which is a very fun scale, yet they fit in the neat recloseable packaging without major disassembly. It's neat that both vehicles are completely devoid of custom LEGO parts. The X-wing being white instead of light gray is a bit odd at first, but becomes much less noticable after both sets are completed. It would have been nicer to get a TIE Fighter here than Vader's TIE Advanced, but oh well.

The "extra element" for the TIE Bomber is fairly standard stuff, pretty much the same design as the TIE Advanced wing except using 2 circular 2x2 plates and an empty magnet holder to attach the wing to the bomber. It's not exciting by itself but it's extra parts even if you don't wanna build the TIE Bomber... of course, you ARE technically paying a little more for these parts, but that depends more on your POV I guess.

The generic plastic clamshell packaging is quite nifty and should prove a good carrying case for these sets (especially if you reuse the sealing tape). I was especially impressed that the embossed Lego 2x4 brick on the front actually interlocks with real Lego plates and bricks.

All in all, I feel my 4 bucks was well-spent and will probably get the rest of the series. It appears that the upcoming MINI Millennium Falcon will be in the same scale as the X-wing vs TIE Adv which makes me very happy indeed.

DarkArtist
02-07-2003, 03:28 PM
I like the sets but I especially like the Slave 1 and X-Wing.
The Jedi Starfughter is cute, the AT-ST Rocks and the Tie Bomber is awesome. The Snowspeeder and Vader's Tie need some work but the fissle of the line is the pod racers>>>YUK:dead: :dead:

Future sets could also include Episode II speeder assortment, Twin Pod Cloud Car, Luke's landspeeder, B-Wing, Outrider, droid starfighter, naboo starfighter, trade federation battle ship, of course Lego should just make one of these in the regular scale anyway, sith inflitrator, republic crusier, mon calamari starships, T-16 skyhopper?

Overall, very cool design and idea, just no more pod racers

JediTricks
02-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the opinion on the pod racers, I have been on the fence about that set since I first saw it.

humsup
02-16-2003, 06:06 PM
I have my wallet sealed till now but I really would like to get the AT-ST set which in my opinion is a very well made, well likeness set among the rest. Maybe I should head out to the stores to finally hook up one AT-ST. If it impresses me enough, I may get a platoon of it hehe.... a complement to the upcoming AT-AT.

JediTricks
02-16-2003, 11:07 PM
The wave 2 series looks really great, I couldn't help but save some pics while editing the toy fair coverage. I especially want the Falcon and the MTT, though only the AT-AT looks kinda light.

humsup
02-21-2003, 12:00 AM
Finally got the AT-ST set yesterday... not 1 but 2 :D
But the X-Wing set is long gone :(

bobafrett
02-21-2003, 12:19 AM
Don't worry, the shelves are being restocked pretty well now, I'm sure you'll find your X-wing sooner or later.'

Can't wait, bring on the next wave!

[DSS]Pedr0
03-11-2003, 03:06 PM
I grabbed Up ALL 4 sets...built the x-tra TIE-Bomber and even "won" from the Officail Site a TIE Fighter in a giveaway thingy...i think they r all COOL!!

http://www.ckteck.com/pedro/jedi%20010.jpg

The Bomber is in the front of Maul low...

http://www.ckteck.com/pedro/jedi%20011.jpg

aceguide
03-19-2003, 03:48 PM
Finally got the all four - these are too cool. Really hope to see more from this line in the future.