PDA

View Full Version : Ralph McQuarrie conceptual Luke Skywalker

Lord Malakite
10-18-2002, 09:24 PM
Apparently Hasbro decided to make a buddy for the upcoming concept Stormtrooper.

Beast
10-18-2002, 09:31 PM
I think I'm going to gag. Luckily, it appears to be a really crappy custom. Notice who posted it, Curto. He always posts the custom stuff. That's the 25th Anniversary Han Solo body and base. Looks like they repainted it and threw some G.I. Joe pieces on him. That's not even exactly what that concept charecter looks like. :crazed: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
10-18-2002, 09:54 PM
Something tells me that they've seen the concept Stormie, and that, by posting this, the negative reaction will be solely focused on this, and the Stormie will look fabulous by comparison.

Then again, it could be something else, I can't think like a tool.

Lord Malakite
10-18-2002, 10:21 PM
It don't look too bad from behind.

plo koon 200
10-18-2002, 10:32 PM
Hasbro is running out of ideas.

Darth Sidious
10-18-2002, 10:46 PM
Whether or not that is a custom, it could be a lot better. But you are right, LM, from the back it is quite accurate. I'd like to see the concept Vader just for completeness' sake.

Sinister Lord
10-18-2002, 10:47 PM
But.... how come he doesn't have a yellow lightsaber, like in the painting?

Darth Sidious
10-18-2002, 10:49 PM
Eh...Because it is a custom, I'm pretty sure. Other than that the back is pretty close though. They should have at least used Luminara's blade or something...

Sinister Lord
10-18-2002, 10:53 PM
But even a "custom" figure could have included a yellow lightsaber... there was a yellow one that came with the POTJ Plo Koon. They should have used that one instead.

QLD
10-18-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
It don't look too bad from behind.

I used to date someone like that :D

Darth Sidious
10-18-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Sinister Lord
But even a "custom" figure could have included a yellow lightsaber... there was a yellow one that came with the POTJ Plo Koon. They should have used that one instead.

Yes, they could have, but I think they wanted a more accurate handle and the little energy explosion at the base of the blade. But yes, there should be a yellow one.

Old Fossil
10-18-2002, 11:18 PM
This is merely a diversion. HAS to be. Otherwise, Hasbro Star Wars has lost its mind. I don't wanna see no more 'concept' figures!!!

So, I will look the other way...

thespar
10-18-2002, 11:29 PM
if hasbro has run out ideas on figures they can make they must already have the line planed to up 2005. there are still alot of chacters the need to mkae form the movies and they just about the eu. their are also many chacters that are in need of a remake. just because one pieces of unused garbage was made does not mean that we want more of them.

Darth Detori
10-19-2002, 12:19 AM
that has 'custom' written all over it

Wolfwood319
10-19-2002, 12:24 AM
This is, without a doubt, a custom, and a pretty bad one at that. Cool picture though, that poster is framed in my den. One of my favorte R.M. pieces.

Darth Cruel
10-19-2002, 04:23 AM
I think he did a pretty good job on it. Not perfect, but a lot better than I could do.

This character is Deak Starkiller (Luke Starkiller's older brother). From the 1st revision (second writing) of the script in 1975. I once read an illustrated script that had this painting placed with a scene that happens in the beginning of the story at about the equivelant time frame as when Leia faces Vader in ANH. Soon after the point in the script that is depicted in the painting, Deak is overpowered by Vader and is taken captive.

Jargo
10-19-2002, 06:54 AM
Saw this yesterday and wasn't impressed. For a custom it's not that bad really if you want that sort of thing. For a Hasbro product I'd say it was scraping the barrel to re-use the anniversary Han so completely, I mean what is it a repaint and then a couple of tubes and a backpack glued on. Not that creative when you get down to it, Then again, it's not too hard to take a custom for an actual product. I saw a custom of Threepio with knees sitting on the ewok throne and took it for new stuff when actualy it was a custom job using the throne from the ewok village playset. It was a good custom and Hasbro should consider the thing seriously as a product but this Luke figure, I don't think it's genuine at all. Too rough and ready. A hasbro test shot wouldn't be painted up like that, it'd be kitbashed from various places but not painted so carefully. They certainly wouldn't have gone to the hassle of repainting the hair. End of the day though I wouldn't put it past hasbro to shove out a small subline of concept figures top co-incide with the concept stormtrooper. The only one I'd be interested in is Chewbacca.

187-Maul
10-19-2002, 07:18 AM
well for a custom job it looks pretty decent and I wouldn't mind having on of those
if hasbro would make one he of course would have to be a bit better but this would be a good start

evenflow
10-19-2002, 08:43 AM
The whole concewpt line is wretched. This is the first time that I am really not going to be buying figures, i will pass on all of the concept figures. We need other more inportant figures instead of these:

Jabba the Hutt
Yarna Da'l Gargan
Cantina Aliens
Palace Aliens
and real EU!!!!!!!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
10-19-2002, 11:20 AM
I must admit, this a good custom. I thought it was real at first, until I read a few posts.

Darth Sidious
10-19-2002, 12:22 PM
If they do make a concept line, I believe I will buy the original characters (Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Vader, R2-D2, C-3PO, Obi-Wan, and Stormtrooper) simply for the sake of having the original...originals. The concept characters are not all that bad, in my opinion, but there are more important figures that need to be made. If they kept pumping out Arena Jedi, new Clones, Cantina Patrons, etc. AND these, I'd be pretty happy. :)

chewie
10-19-2002, 01:44 PM
Isn't the point of a concept that it wasn't as good as the final approved idea? I don't think any concept character needs to be made either.

Beast
10-19-2002, 01:49 PM
If Hasbro really wanted to do Concept Charecters, they should have done the original main charecters in a boxset thru the Fan Club or somthing like that. I've said that before, and I'll say it again. A nice 25th Anniversary Gift Set containing concept versions of Luke, Han, Leia, Vader, Stormtrooper, Chewbacca, Obi-Wan, C-3PO, and R2-D2. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
10-19-2002, 02:00 PM
When the Concept Stormy won I was all POed, but if we are going to see a line of them, then it is OK by me. I would love to see a whole collection of them, as long as we get top notch saga figures at the same time.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-19-2002, 03:07 PM
Wow, anyone who doesn't think this is a custom is blind. The concept Stormtrooper was announced as winning in May, and they wouldn't decide to do more until after the first one sells well (most likely). We would have had seen something on it by now, and not from Rebelscum, and they wouldn't put the damn thing on the base from the Silver Han and Chewie set. Oh well, if it was real, then it would be cool with some modifications, but if it's fake, then screw RS.

Turbowars
10-19-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
Wow, anyone who doesn't think this is a custom is blind. The concept Stormtrooper was announced as winning in May, and they wouldn't decide to do more until after the first one sells well (most likely). We would have had seen something on it by now, and not from Rebelscum, and they wouldn't put the damn thing on the base from the Silver Han and Chewie set. Oh well, if it was real, then it would be cool with some modifications, but if it's fake, then screw RS. Don't get me wrong, it also looks like a custom to me. There's nothing wrong with RS, some times we get better news there. edit: I just viewed the photos at RS and I'm 99.99% sure this is a custom. If you look at the middle photo, you will see a crack in the wall behind the figure. This was taken at a collector home. Cool custom!

Battle Droid
10-20-2002, 04:37 AM
www.rebelscum.com have confirmed that it is indeed a custom.

Beast
10-20-2002, 04:47 AM
Nice to see that Rebelscum is willing to create a fake news story, and not reveal the true facts, just to get some intrest in some persons custom figures. :rolleyes: I knew that it was a custom because Curto was the one to post the news, and he typically only posts custom stuff. I wonder if anyone sent any hate mail to Hasbro, thinking that rehash was real. Bad Rebelscum, no biscuit. :stupid: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Chiesa
10-20-2002, 04:55 AM
Well I would still say its a cool custom.... Especially from the back...

JJB>> I certainly hope that no one actually is that vocal and rash to actually send a hate mail to Hasbro... :) It would just be mean and it woud hurt their feelings!! (<--- Laugh to that! hahah!) But I guess they are professional enough and probably get these hate mails all the time.

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

Lord Malakite
10-20-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Chiesa
I certainly hope that no one actually is that vocal and rash to actually send a hate mail to Hasbro... :) It would just be mean and it woud hurt their feelings!! (<--- Laugh to that! hahah!) But I guess they are professional enough and probably get these hate mails all the time.

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

They will probably make him now just to spite the people who sent them hate mail. :D

Prince Xizor
10-20-2002, 02:57 PM
Actually, its pretty damn good from the back.

Personally, I would like to see a concept line. Maybe a boxed set like Jar Jar mentioned would be the best way to do it. Would be expensive, but what the hell.

Turbowars
10-20-2002, 06:38 PM
Expensive? How cares, us collectors have a bottomless pit of MONEY!! Well that's what Hasbro thinks

Prince Xizor
10-21-2002, 01:55 AM
No, they know that no matter how expensive they make a product, we are still suckers for anything Star Wars and will buy it no matter the cost.

The Overlord Returns
10-21-2002, 11:15 AM
despite the obvious custom job that this is....I honestly think I would buy this uif Hasbro released it....it's a cool idea.

Turbowars
10-21-2002, 06:59 PM
It would be better than the POTF2 E.U. line!