PDA

View Full Version : Sweden’s review of 10026 “SE” Naboo Starfighter!

Sweden
10-18-2002, 09:35 PM
When The LEGO Group first announced the 1:28 scale X-Wing Fighter and T.I.E. Interceptor in the so called “Ultimate Collector Series” I, amongst a whole lot of others, got really excited about this more expensive “adult/collector” line of almost model kit quality LEGO models.

My first impression amongst a whole lot of others, and what I feel The LEGO Group lead us to believe, of the so called “Ultimate Collector Series” is that it was a line of super detailed 1:28 scale LEGO models of especially the smaller one or two man fighters in the movies.

I totally agree with “Ultimate Collector Series” customizer Mr. Gareth “Guybrush” Bowler over at the “From Bricks to Bothans” website and forum that “UCS” stands for 1:28 scale models like the rather excellent ones that he has on display on Mr. Tim Saupé’s website.

Later on we all learned that “Ultimate Collector Series” meant something totally different as we got the “Yoda” sculpture and all our hopes for LEGO’s own versions of Mr. Bowler’s creations went up in smoke and no I don’t include the runner or destroyer in this line.

Well oh well... On to the review of 10026 “SE” Naboo Starfighter...

The Box:

Is one of those cheaper and thicker cardboard boxes that I personally preffer to reffer to as “Corn Flakes” boxes and it’s done in basically the same style as the X-Wing Fighter and T.I.E. Interceptor boxes in the same line of models that were released two years ago.

The instruction booklet:

Nothing new here except that “NO” other sets are shown off in the 32 pages long booklet.

Construction:

Not much to say here except for those annoying stickers that are provided with the set.

The model itself:

As the title to my post say, “SE” Naboo Starfighter, I can’t and wouldn’t call it a “Ultimate Collector Series” version of the Starfighter as there’s “NOTHING” really ultimate about it but rather a “Special Edition” of the 7141 mini figure set released in 1999 but that’s my view.

It’s “NOT” 1:28 scale like the X-wing Fighter and T.I.E. Interceptor but rather a mini figure scale version with more correct details and shapes but there’s a whole lot to wish for in this set and there’s no cockpit section built in the fuselage of the Starfighter and that’s a bit sad.

There’s 12 chromed parts included in the set to make up the wings and engines but not for the belly of the Starfighter as that part was chromed too and to me at least I can’t see why The LEGO Group only finished off this set to 50% and yeah I know about the cost but anyway.

The parts themselves aren’t that great at all as they aren’t totally covered with chrome and then again there were scratches and marks on my sample and honestly I simply can’t understand why this set has gotten so much attention from builders and collectors.

This version is indeed a much better representation of the Starfighter then the 7141 mini figure set, but the engines are a bit loose, and it has a pretty neat display stand but I would rather have seen a 1:28 scale model in real “UCS” style with or without chromed parts.

So is it worth the $$$ you guys ask?

Well... I can answer that in three ways...

For guys into real “UCS” style with pretty much correct details and shapes: Nope.

For die hard collectors buying everything: Yes.

For the younger audience who don’t really care about the above: Yes but pricey.

For another slightly different review with slightly more details about the set go check:

http://pub97.ezboard.com/fthefbtbcommunityfrm1.showMessage?topicID=2857.top ic

There you have it people. Hope you’ve enjoyed my little contribution. ;)

Kindest regards,

Lars “Sweden” Olsson in Sundsvall, Sweden.

ACPin
10-21-2002, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the very informative review! Even though I'm not planning to buy it, I'll probably pick it up if it ever shows in clearance somewhere down the road. :D

JediTricks
10-21-2002, 11:10 PM
Wow, the belly isn't chromed, that's kinda depressing. Thanks for the review! Saved me $40. ;)

Sweden
10-22-2002, 05:21 PM
Awww... Don’t make me blush guys! ;) Just kidding! LOL Anyway, thank you guys for your ever so kind words about my review of this set and at the same time I’ll give a little credit myself to “Ultimate Collector Series” customizer Mr. Gareth “Guybrush” Bowler over at the “From Bricks to Bothans” website and forum for his more detailed review of parts galore.

ACPin:

That’s a good idea I believe as I feel that this set has a price tag that’s way to high for what it actually is compared to what we’re lead to believe by the “Ultimate Collector Series” label on the box so hopefully you’ll be able to get it on sale at a much better price.

Btw... You’d done a whole lot of really nice customs yourself during my time here at “Sir Steve’s Star Wars Guide” website and forum and thank you for showing them all off here. You must make a fortune being able to buy all that. Want to change job with me? LOL ;)

JediTricks:

Yeah, it’s kind of depressing that the belly of the Starfighter isn’t chromed but what could we all expect knowing the high cost of chromed parts but what’s even more depressing is that it isn’t 1:28 scale like the previous releases in this line. Glad to make you save $40.00 though. ;)

Kindest regards,

Lars “Sweden” Olsson in Sundsvall, Sweden.

ACPin
10-27-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Sweden
ACPin:
Btw... You’d done a whole lot of really nice customs yourself during my time here at “Sir Steve’s Star Wars Guide” website and forum and thank you for showing them all off here. You must make a fortune being able to buy all that. Want to change job with me? LOL ;)

A fortune? Nah! Just fortunate to get them on clearance like the UCS TIE for $30 each. It's what I do in between dioramas though I must admit that it can get pretty serious at times and I wind up spending a lot more time on them than I want to. Check out my latest custom on another thread!

:)