PDA

View Full Version : Sen. John McCain hosting SNL??? tell me this is a dream, a very bad bad dream..

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-19-2002, 10:40 PM
Yeah, title says it all, so i'll be first to say, "why?" c'mon SNL, the season started off well with Damon and it's going right down the tube.

derek
10-19-2002, 10:58 PM
at first i had the same reaction, but if you really think about it, politicians are really just actors, and the better they are, the better their ability to tell us what we want to hear and get re-elected.

so far mc cain appears to be doing an OK job, since on SNL, most skits are done while reading cue cards, which a politician is an expert at doing, while giving speeches, except for GW Bush.:crazed:

one thing that really bugs me about SNL is the over-reliance on cue cards. i hate that talented actors can't remember their lines. one actor that comes to mind is christopher watkin, a really good actor, who is notorious for that "caught in the headlights" look of staring at his cue cards when he's hosting.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-19-2002, 11:04 PM
I've been watching it on and off, it isn't that bad, it's just the idea made me cringe at first. That lifetime TV skit was pretty funny. I didn't see Watkin host, but i can understand why it's goofy that talented actors can't remember their lines.

I do love how SNL gives non-actors, like the Rock, Derek Jetter (other sports folks too) and politicians like 7 lines in a 5 min sketch. Very clever on their part. Though the 2 episodes with the Rock were really funny.

stillakid
10-20-2002, 09:59 AM
The "Tim Russert" (sp?) skit was pretty good. Unlike the standard SNL skit, it got in, told the joke and got back out.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-20-2002, 10:54 AM
I thought it was pretty funny last night, considering that McCain is not your professional actor unlike 95% of the other hosts of SNL. He did seem a little nervous and uptight during the skits, and he did seem to be glancing at the cue cards many times, but he played a pretty convincing John Ashcroft and a stalker on the Lifetime channel. The Frank McCourt sketch was another gem. The only bad part was that I missed the monologue :(

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-20-2002, 11:06 AM
I did like the Crossfire (or was it some other show?) that interviewed McCain about if he would ever run for president again. I nearly wet myself actually.

"would you ever consider running for president?"
"No, i wouldn't run against Bush"
"What if he forgot to run?"

that was funny stuff

JON9000
10-20-2002, 03:54 PM
Man I wish I had seen it. I would guess that McCain is a pretty funny guy. Most politicians seem to have at the very least a good sense of humor. I saw Bob Dole on Letterman and he is genuinely funny guy, so is Clinton.

vulcantouch
10-21-2002, 11:47 AM
. . .but i thought he did a-ok :happy:

derek: "one thing that really bugs me about SNL is the over-reliance on cue cards. i hate that talented actors can't remember their lines"
-you mean like brando, who used them even in Apocalypse Now? :sur: personaly it don't bug me, it's a necessary concession to putting on an original live sketch show every week :)

derek
10-21-2002, 12:06 PM
you mean like brando, who used them even in Apocalypse Now? personaly it don't bug me, it's a necessary concession to putting on an original live sketch show every week

really? i didn't know that.:)
all his scenes seemed to be filmed in almost complete darkness or extreme shadows to hide the fact that he was overweight, from what i've heard.

i think the main problem with SNL and cue cards is mainly the camera angles that make it more obvious that they are using cue cards. with better placed cameras, i think it would be better concealed.

The Overlord Returns
10-21-2002, 12:48 PM
if Brando had cue cards available on AN...he didn't use them.....

God, he didn't follow the script in the slightest,.....he just rambled...and that's what you see on screen........

besides....the man could barely walk straight during shooting he was so gone on drugs....

darthvyn
10-21-2002, 04:53 PM
ahhh!!!! it's christopher WALKEN!!!! WALKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i think part of the comedy is his reading straight from the cue cards!

that being said, the rock was in a lot of stuff, actually - like the superman/clark kent skit where everyone knew he was superman and he was trying to deny it, and the mr. peepers bigger brother thing - i thought he was really funny!