PDA

View Full Version : wal mart and their fort knox DVD selection

derek
10-20-2002, 12:04 AM
what's the deal with wal mart and their DVD sections? my local super wal-mart has a huge selection, but recently they have put them all behind lock and key glass displays. it wasn't always like this, and it's very annoying.

while working, i'm able to sometimes scout other wal-marts for new figures,and i'll always check out the electronics section while i'm there. now, i can understand having some things locked up in "high-crime" stores, i.e. lower income areas, but is wal-mart taking a huge loss with customers shop lifitng DVD's?

i find it really annoying having to track down a "sales associate" just so i can read the back of a DVD.:mad:

Exhaust Port
10-20-2002, 01:30 AM
Ugh, this sounds awful. My local Walmart's haven't gone this route yet and I hope they don't have to resort to this. DVD and CD's are 2 products that I ususally can't buy without looking over the packaging to decide if I'll buy it or not. I'd probably resort to buying my stiff from stores where I can still man-handle the products.

QLD
10-20-2002, 03:33 AM
I think you'll see a lot of stores start having them in security cases like they have CD's. CD's and movies are extremely high theft items, and they have little to no markup too.

2-1B
10-20-2002, 03:57 AM
A nearby used CD / DVD / Video Game store was shut down on Thursday because the owners were moving tens of thousands of stolen DVDs from Wal-Mart.

Here's a clip from the local police in a news report:

According to police, the brothers stole tens of thousands of DVDs, mostly from Wal-Mart stores throughout Wisconsin. Police say how they were able to steal so many without getting caught was elaborate and clever.

"It was basically distracting the store and the store security in order to steal from the store, and they stole bulk CDs and DVDs,"

It goes on to talk about the store owners and their connection to these thieves.

derek
10-20-2002, 04:49 AM
*. from the home office in yonkers:

1. what about those magnetic anti-theft devices?

2. do those not work?

3. wal-mart needs better door people.

4. until they "free up" their DVD's i'll shop else where.

5. for a multi-billion dollar company, they are very understaffed.

Beast
10-20-2002, 05:03 AM
My local Wal-Mart used to have them all in glass cases, but they since moved them all out onto the shelf. Up until last month the New Releases and the Boxed Sets were still in glass cases. But now those have been freed and are enjoying the shelf space as well. They do have one glass case left, and it still has a couple movies in it. But they have them on the shelf also, if I recall correctly. Of course, I only buy DVD's there if it's a damn good deal, or they break street date. Mmm, Total Recall S.E. 2 weeks early, mistagged 12.44. :happy: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
10-20-2002, 09:04 AM
The little magnetic tags are only useful if put inside the packaging by the manufacturer. They are just as easy to remove as they are to put on. But also, a lot of times when people steal dvd's, games, and movies, they don't take the packaging, they take just the disc, almost like they are scared of the packaging setting of alarms. The only solution is really more staff.

Eternal Padawan
10-20-2002, 10:08 AM
Di-di-dih-di-dih-di.... THIS JUST IN....

"Quite Long Dong suggests more staff..." :happy:

LTBasker
10-20-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
The only solution is really more staff.

Did you ever notice they never really have anyone watching the Lawn and Garden section or the Car Repair areas? Both have access routes for the public to use but they both seem to go unguarded. At least have a camera set up there or something, yeesh. 'Course then again theres also jerk employees who take stuff and can leave anywhere.

About the glass cases, I think my Wal-Mart still has them under lock and key, unless they're low-seller movies which then they're put on the shelf.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-20-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Here's a clip from the local police in a news report:

According to police, the brothers stole tens of thousands of DVDs, mostly from Wal-Mart stores throughout Wisconsin. Police say how they were able to steal so many without getting caught was elaborate and clever.

"It was basically distracting the store and the store security in order to steal from the store, and they stole bulk CDs and DVDs,"

You had to think this was an inside job because aren't CDs and DVDs equipped with devices that can trigger the store security alarm unless disabled by employees?

The thieves could have done a better service to our country by stealing thousands of pegwarming Saga figures as opposed to DVDs. :p

JON9000
10-20-2002, 04:58 PM
Wal-Mart is evil. I am very thankful that I do not have to resort to employment there. I am very conflicted that I must do some Star Wars shopping there.

Dar' Argol
10-20-2002, 09:39 PM
Here's the info . . . . .

The DVD's that you see unlocked are "Pay-Per-Scan". Meaning that Wal-Mart does not pay for that DVD until it scans through the front. The problem is that not all the DVD's are that way. if they were, they would all be out. Most of the CD's are already Pay-Per-Scan, so that is why they are still out in the open.

The security measures are not faultless. There are many ways around it. For obvious security resaons I cannot discuss any of them, but you can get around those little metal strips. And it doesn't help when we have 80 yr old ppl at the doors. Most of them do not want to be bothered to check through someone's bags, looking for something that was not deactivated.

Originally posted by derek
now, i can understand having some things locked up in "high-crime" stores, i.e. lower income areas, but is wal-mart taking a huge loss with customers shop lifitng DVD's

My store is not in a "High-Crime" area. We are located in a small, well, not that small of an area. We are growing. But our crime is not much at all. Yet, a few months ago, we almost had over $20,000 worth of DVD's taken out of our store. This was when our Distric Manager made the decision to unlock our cases. A week later this happened. Thankfully they were caught before they made off with the merchandise. But it does not matter where you are, if it is easy, and acessible(sp), ppl will be tempted.

I personally would like to see all the DVD's and CD's locked up. Even if they are Pay-Per-Scan, someone has to take the cost when product goes missing. And that is the companies that make these DVD's that will be taking the hit. So in order to compensate for their loses, they would have to raise the prices of DVD's, VHS's, and CD's.

So, if Wal-Mart locks up all that stuff, then not as much gets stolen, then the prices stay low as they are. Unlock the cases, more gets stolen, and the adverage $19.96 DVD jumps to $24.96. I know which feels better in my wallet;) :D

derek
10-20-2002, 10:11 PM
the problem though, is this is a huge inconveniance for the customer. i was just at walmart tonight and almost got run over by three young "sales associates" who didn't think they should yeild the asile to me, the customer.:)

finding someone to unlock these cases is almost a job in itself. i'm the last person who complains about big business, but wal mart needs to get their act together. better customer service, more friendly, helpful employees and would it hurt to open some more registers?

i know there are a lot of wal mart people who take their job seriously, and Dar', you i bet are one of them:), but like i said earlier, this is a multi-billion dollar company. i think better security is the answer regarding DVD theft, not locking them behind bars.

until this changes, best buy or those high priced mall stores will get my business.;)

SirSteve
10-21-2002, 01:15 AM
If they lock them up where I cannot hold them (to look at the back especially), I will simply go to Best Buy for all my DVDs.

mini-rock
10-21-2002, 02:37 AM
Glass doors? What a load. There are plenty of other places to shop without that kind of hassle.

Beast
10-21-2002, 05:14 AM
Agreed, if they ever go back under lock and key at my Wal-Mart I will never buy another DVD there again. Inconvinencing the customer, just because of possible theft is a pain in the arse. I'll settle going to someplace and pay a dollar more even, then save a buck and have to look at the DVD's thru glass. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

InsaneJediGirl
10-21-2002, 09:50 AM
I hope they don't do this at my WalMart.I have the feeling it will happen though,considering there is only one undercover security guard manning the store and most likely the cameras arent watched 24/7.According to my dad,someone walked out with a laptop the other day,no one stopped him.Maybe they should put higher-end items like computers/computer acessories behind glass first. :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

scruffziller
10-21-2002, 09:56 AM
I would rather have them under a lock and key and cost $14 rather than go to Best Buy and pay $25 for the same. Reduction of theft keeps prices low. There was a statistic that if theft did not exist, prices would be 25% lower than they are. Shopping in itself is an inconvenience much as is going to work to make the money. I'll take saving my money over an inconvenience any day.

Beast
10-21-2002, 10:06 AM
If your paying $25 at Best Buy, then your Best Buy sucks. On most movies Best Buy is the same price as Wal-Mart. Plus you can actually look at the DVD and find Widescreen copies of said DVD, unlike the typical Wal-Mart.

Shopping should never be an inconvenience. I wanna go in, grab what I want, pay, and get out. No fuss and no muss. When I have to wait for some worker with the key to the wall of DVD's, then they loose my business.

Time is money, and my time is more valuable and precious to me, then to waste it waiting to get my DVD's, then having to wait again to buy my DVD's. I'll stick to real retailers for DVD's, if it comes to that. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
10-21-2002, 10:16 AM
Or better yet, order online, that is the ultimate time saver. Especially if Best Buy is giving an extra promotional DVD for Star Trek NG seasons. Especially with free shipping!! I've noticed that BB has been getting alot of promotional stuff like extra DVDs, extra tracks, etc that WAL MART does not have. Any info on this?

Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Time is money, and my time is more valuable and precious to me, then to waste it waiting to get my DVD's, then having to wait again to buy my DVD's. I'll stick to real retailers for DVD's, if it comes to that. :)

Whatever trips your trigger....:rolleyes:
I guess my attitude comes from living in Iowa. If you live in a real fast paced enviroment and you'll lose more money waiting around than getting in and out does make sense. I'll give you a little taste of what the mentality of living in Iowa is mainly a rural area.
My dad is a pack rat for junk. He does this because if it is possibly worth $2 he'll keep it around rather than have the satisfaction of having an aesethically pleasing yard.

QLD
10-21-2002, 11:23 AM
I'd rather climb an active volcano to get my DVD's than go to Best Buy for them.

Beast
10-21-2002, 11:54 AM
Sorry QLD, was just using Best Buy as an example. I don't like the store either. It sucks that they had to gobble up Media Play, Suncoast, Sam Goody, and OnCue. Not to mention the cheap deals that try rope you back in. :mad: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
10-22-2002, 12:32 AM
See, tha major problem here is training. If these store took the time to train their Associates right, there would be no problem. I have been saying for some time now that WM major problem is growth. They are too busy building bigger and better stores, that the company suffers in other areas. Training is one of them. Sam Walton would be rolling in his grave if he could se what his kids have turned his company into. Sam was always the person that kept this company grounded, and after his death, and his kids took over, it hasn't been the same. The company need to stop building more sotres, and get back to the basics. Gt back to teaching Sam's 5 Basic Beliefs. Make ppl accountable for their work, get rid of the deadbeat!!! And the high-schoolers are the worst!! All they are there for is a check so when a weekend comes that they have to work, they can call in sick and go spend that money with their friends. THAT is where most of the problems come from. Our 2nd shift and weekend shift. Its the same from store to store. I've gone and helped 9 different stores in the past 5 yrs, and I keep seeing the same thing!

If WM does not do something soon, i fear they are going to shoot themselfs in the foot, so to speak. Some kind of change needs to happen.

derek
10-22-2002, 11:14 PM
Sam Walton would be rolling in his grave if he could see what his kids have turned his company into.

that's funny you mention this. i was in wal-mart a while back, browsing the magazines, and one of the older women employees said, "Mr. Sam would roll over in his grave if he saw the kind of magazines they are selling here!". she was referring to the numerous swimsuit, soft-core almost nude women magazines on the display.

If WM does not do something soon, i fear they are going to shoot themselfs in the foot, so to speak. Some kind of change needs to happen.

fox news business analyst neil cavuto said the exact same thing recently on his show. he said "wal-mart needs to make some changes, or people will shop else-where, just ask K-Mart".

EricRG
10-23-2002, 03:05 AM
Yep. No offense to you Dar. You all should hear the indoctrination "cheers" they do in the morning. Sickening. Buy figures there when they (rarely) have them...otherwise I refuse to buy even a single battery there unless I'm really in a pinch. Dar, do you really expect "minimum wage" workers to go out of their way for their multi-hundred-billion dollar employer? Right. "Get rid of the deadbeats"? I suppose you propose hiring the PhDs to work for minimum wage? And do you all REALLY think Wal-Mart would lower their prices significantly if stealing were eradicated? Right.

Dar' Argol
10-23-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by EricRG
Yep. No offense to you Dar. You all should hear the indoctrination "cheers" they do in the morning. Sickening. Buy figures there when they (rarely) have them...otherwise I refuse to buy even a single battery there unless I'm really in a pinch. Dar, do you really expect "minimum wage" workers to go out of their way for their multi-hundred-billion dollar employer? Right. "Get rid of the deadbeats"? I suppose you propose hiring the PhDs to work for minimum wage? And do you all REALLY think Wal-Mart would lower their prices significantly if stealing were eradicated? Right.

ok, a few issues here:

1. Minimum wage is $5.15/hr. Most Wal-marts starting rate is $6.50/hr, more so if you live in an area where the cost of living is higher, like in a City.

2. These Associates were hired and explained their job functions. One of them is helping the customers, not matter how much of a pain in the butt they can be. Another is stocking the shelves. It does not take a "PhD" to do this work, it just takes good work ethics. If they cannot do even these basic things, then no, they should not be there. There are plenty of other ppl who need a job!

3. And on the lowering the prices, yes I do. Wal-Mart is build on getting the lowest price to the customer. That's why we shop our compitition and go lower then them. If the theft drops, the companies(Fox, MGM, Touchstone, Miramax) would drop their cost to us, which in turn we would lower our prices to you.

The only reason and price rises at WM is b/c our cost increases. WM is a company and like any company, it need to make money to reamin a company. If a supplier raises the cost to us, we need to make up that differance. IF the supplier cuts us a break, and lowers their prices, so will we. That's where our "RollBacks", "Special Buys", and "lowest Prices" come from.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-23-2002, 10:49 PM
I know it's difficult to look at things that are behind lock and key and is very frustrating to look for a salesperson, but try to remember, it actually benefits US....the honest consumers from paying higher prices, especially in today's economy! Unlike Barnes and Noble who gives theives books and merchandise as they walk out the door and say "thank you for shopping with us, can we help you with anything else"? OOoogggg! That store is the WORST!!!!! Spineless lconglomerate pigs...think they will make more money by LETTING people shoplift...all I gotta say, what comes around, goes around!