PDA

View Full Version : Courageous acts of the .01%

scruffziller
10-21-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
So I guess the homeless group in my city that pooled their money together and ended up saving to by a home don't fit into the homeless mould....as it seeme that all ACTUAL homeless people simply use their money to buy booze??

Sorry TOR;)

scruffziller
10-21-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by derek

i just don't think smoking is addictive. i have tried it in an actual attempt to see if i could get hooked on it and i couldn't. i clearly recall people like bob dole, when he was running for president, saying "cigaretts are more addictive that heroin".

that just sounded goofy to me because if this was so, either tobacco would be illegal, or heroin would be legal.

base on my experiment, tobacco is not addictive. actually, the smoker has to go thru quite a bit just to get the smoke actually inhaled into the lungs. what an unpleasant and unnatural act that is. what's next, gargling with motor oil.:)

derek
10-21-2002, 01:02 PM
i'm confused. what is the point of this thread? don't get me wrong, i encourage all discussion, just curious.:)

scruffziller
10-21-2002, 01:08 PM
I am taking note to all folks and stories of people who have overcome odds that most of us haven't been able to achieve.
Please feel free to post those stories of people who have beaten the stereotypes.

derek
10-21-2002, 01:10 PM
but what odds did i overcome by posting about my smoking experiment? i feel like chewbacca at the end of episode 4.:)

The Overlord Returns
10-21-2002, 01:11 PM
Yeah, this thread makes little sense.

And what exactly are you apologizing to me for?

And it's not Overlord THE returns!!!!!! It's THE Overlord Returns... ;)

QLD
10-21-2002, 01:27 PM
Everytime I come back here I get more confused.

Pendo
10-21-2002, 01:32 PM
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

???

This thread makes no sense to me.

PENDO!

Jargo
10-21-2002, 03:48 PM
Cool - a nonsensical thread!

I can feel right at home here.....

I'll get my coat. :(

2-1B
10-22-2002, 03:23 AM
Good god, man . . . :confused:

Uhh, I agree with some of derek's post - when I tried smoking I was just baffled by the act of inhaling, indeed it was quite unpleasant. No reason for me to try again . . .

What are you talking about? How is the circumstance of not getting hooked on smoking "courageous" ? :confused:

darthvyn
10-22-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
What are you talking about? How is the circumstance of not getting hooked on smoking "courageous" ? :confused:

yeah, isn't it more courageous to do something that you know could very well end in your demise? like digging tunnels through mountains, exploring new lands, fighting for you country, and inhaling smoke that you know to be carcinogenic and poisonous? :confused: :crazed: :confused:

Dar' Argol
10-22-2002, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I'm seeing no point here . . . . is it over there . . . . . . nope, how about here . . . . . . . . . . . nope . . . . . . . . maybe its behind Jargo . . . . . . . . . excuse me Jargo . . . . . . . . . . . . . nope, no point anywhere . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hmmmm . . . . . . . . I'm confused:confused:

Well, unless I see a point here soon, I know where to point this thread . . . . . . . . . . -------->:D

jjreason
10-22-2002, 11:40 PM
I think....

the point is that the homeless people saving their money and buying a house is against the norm. Derek trying to get addicted to nicotine and failing - though odd - is against the norm. The first is a story of triumph, the second is a story of......Im not sure what.

The point here is some people are able to achieve greatness in the face of adversity, against all odds, like Jim Abott who was able to pitch at the major league level with only one hand.

At least I think that's what the point is. Maybe I should check....

Scruff?

derek
10-23-2002, 12:31 AM
The first is a story of triumph, the second is a story of......Im not sure what.

OK, i'll say it...........stupidity!!!:crazed:

scruffziller
10-23-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by jjreason
I think....

the point is that the homeless people saving their money and buying a house is against the norm. Derek trying to get addicted to nicotine and failing - though odd - is against the norm. The first is a story of triumph, the second is a story of......Im not sure what.

The point here is some people are able to achieve greatness in the face of adversity, against all odds, like Jim Abott who was able to pitch at the major league level with only one hand.

At least I think that's what the point is. Maybe I should check....

Scruff?

Yes.

jjreason
10-23-2002, 05:52 PM
OK here's a real life super hero. Police Constable Laurie White attends a residence in Kitimat, BC, Canada to check on the well being of a known mental patient. She is shot through the door by the patient - at that point off his medication and wielding a high powered hunting rifle. The round strikes her leg and nearly amputates it for her. She lives. Hours later, the male commits suicide with the same rifle when confronted by a negotiator and Emergency Response Team.

Fast forward two years. Police Constable Laurie White is still alive and well - and still working as a police constable. She wears a prosthetic leg to work, and does everything she used to do before she was shot. Quite the reminder of how important it is put safety first at all times, no matter what job you do.