PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart to send back 18 Different AOTC figures

Dar' Argol
10-21-2002, 11:50 PM
This was an email I got today from our Home Office concerning the over abundance of some SW AOTC figs

Begining October 21st, Hasbro will be sending in retail service reps to all stores to box up and return 18 UPC's of the Star Wars basic figuresat $4.77. As you know, some UPC's of the Star Wars figures are backing up at the store level. The reps should identify the return UPC's, box up the goods, and provide you with a shipping label for the cartons. Not all UPC's and figures will be returned. Make sure we do a "Merchandise Claim" to adjust these return figures out of our inventory. Orders for the newest and latest figures have been written and will start shipping from Hasbro next week. New figures will drive collectors back to this aisle.

This is good and bad. Good because it gets rid of the older figs and allows for the newer figs to come in. Bad, because those of us collectors waiting for the stores to mark some of this stuff down are not going to get that chance.

So if there is something you have been thinking about getting, but are waiting for the price to drop, get it now.

And no, I don't know what the 18 UPC's that are being returned are. But as soon as I know, you guys will too:D

LTBasker
10-21-2002, 11:56 PM
I really hope they don't include army builders like the Super BD's and Battle Droids, cause those are probably the most selling peg-warmers with collectors (and possibly others) getting more than just the adverage amount which I've noticed their numbers have been dwindling. I'm guessing it's probably mostly early Collection 1 figures along with a few or so Collection 2 figures.

jedihunter25
10-22-2002, 12:17 AM
Hopefully Mace Windu, Endor Rebel Soldier (goatee), Orn Free Taa, Dexter Jettster, and Geonosian Warrior ( I'd get an army of these- but what's the use if they can't stand). I'm so sick of seeing these figs. At the Wal-mart near me, it's the only ones that they have for the last 4 months- they also have a large pile of Duros and Ketwols that they are trying to sell for a buck more- what a joke!

Battle Droid
10-22-2002, 12:45 AM
This is at all Wal-Mart's? They seriously need to do this at mine.

Dar' Argol
10-22-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Battle Droid
This is at all Wal-Mart's? They seriously need to do this at mine.

Yeah, this is at all Wal-Mart's. Based, of course, on what they currently have in stock. If a store doesn't have these 18 figs, obviously they are not going to return them.

I'm really happy in the fact that new figures have been ordered!!:D

Battle Droid
10-22-2002, 12:54 AM
The newiest figures my Wal-Mart has is Palpy, Chewie, Endor Trooper, Han, that black Alien from the cantina, massiff, that big blue guy, and I think that's it.

rynobot
10-22-2002, 02:13 AM
sounds great, maybe my 6 year old nephew will be able to actually expand his collection.

Beast
10-22-2002, 04:21 AM
Hmm, 18 Pegwarmers. I'm going to venture a guess what those 18 are, judging by their pegwarmer status. :)

1. Anakin Skywalker: Outland Peasent Disguise
2. Padmé Amidala: Arena Battle
3. Obi-Wan Kenobi: Coruscant Chase
4. C-3PO: Protocal Droid
5. Kit Fisto: Jedi Master
6. Tusken Raider: Female w/ Child
7. Captain Typho: Padmé's Head of Security
8. Shaak Ti: Jedi Master
9. Plo Koon: Arena Battle
10. R2-D2: Corsurant Security
11. Jango Fett: Kamino Escape
12. Zam Wesell: Bounty Hunter
13. Saesee Tiin: Jedi Master
14. Nikto: Jedi Knight
15. Jar Jar Binks: Gungan Senator
16. Mace Windu: Geonosian Rescue
17. Jango Fett: Final Battle
18. Han Solo: Endor Raid

That would leave army builders and decent sellers out of the first 4-5 waves of figures still around. And would get rid of the large numbers of pegwarmer figures.

R2-D2 may not be one on the list, because he's a bit harder to find now, and was recently re-shipped at 1 per case to get a few more out there.

But this would really help without hurting army builders or people that still need a few more harder to find figures. Plo Koon might not be in there either, since he's HTF in most areas also. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

underdog25
10-22-2002, 08:21 AM
Here is what I could see the Hasbro rep take back from my TRU:
Bespin Luke
Shak Ti
Sandwomen w/child
Mace Windu
Super Battle Droid
Battle Droid
Endor Soldier
Qui Gon Jinn
Blue Guy (don't know his name)
and others. It was most of the figures from the Bespin Wave and Qui Gon Jinn Wave and back. Hasbro DIDN'T take Darth Vader, Palpatine, Red Clone Troopers, Jango Fett (all three), Padame and others. I don't have a definitive list because the Reps did most of it before I got to work. We "Lost" over 1500 figures but this will make way for new stuff. I would RUSH out and start buying up figures. They are plenty out there, Hasbro has MILLIONS of them in their warehouse and they WILL go Clearance. You'll have a hard time finding common figures but they will go clearance and you'll see them everywhere! You'll just have to be patient.

Prince Xizor
10-22-2002, 01:19 PM
This is great, but what is Hasbro going to do with all of these figures? Are they going to sell them on their website, or melt them down for the plastic, or what?

DahrJin
10-22-2002, 02:18 PM
Hasbro will take them back, repackage them into multi-packs and send them out to K-Marts.....:D

darksol28
10-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Over lunch I stopped by my local WM only to find 10 Jango Fetts and NOTHING else for figures. After searching the toy aisle I found a Hasbro Rep opening several older cases and packing them in some HUGE cases (40+ figures) that were marked collection 1 and 2. She told me that they were not selling and they would start receiving new figures soon.

Beast
10-22-2002, 03:40 PM
Cool. Hmm, guess I better pick up that C-3PO figure that I still need pretty soon. He's the only one that I've been putting off, because I didn't like the figure all that much. And I need another Tusken mommy, when I get the chance. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-22-2002, 05:12 PM
I hope the 18 include figures 28-40, also Kit Fisto, Dexter Jettster, Captain Typho, Royal Guard, hell those are the only ones my WM carries!

Prince Xizor
10-22-2002, 06:39 PM
Royal Guard huh? Those are actually kinda hard to find around here.

Beast
10-22-2002, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I don't think I have ever seen Royal Guards as real pegwarmers. But we do know how different areas have differnt stock coming in, and different popular figures. Dexter's even HTF in some areas still. Not as bad as when he came out, but still obvious from some reports. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Prince Xizor
10-22-2002, 06:51 PM
Dexter, Hard to Find? You almost had me going for a second....;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-22-2002, 09:02 PM
Well, I went to WM today, and no Royal Guards. Maybe they are coveted by collectors???
Anyway, all the figures were there, and they were full to the pegs. They obviously haven't sent them back yet in Lafayette. :sad:

Darth Detori
10-22-2002, 09:12 PM
no they're not! Those are clogging up Targets around here! ;)

and yeah, I'd like to see some Orn Free Ta's, Tusken females, han's, kit fistos, and dexter jettsters off the shelf. HOPEFULLY they do these soon enough to get in a whole slew of new figures in time for the episode II DVD release (November 12th)

Old Fossil
10-22-2002, 09:53 PM
Good thinking, Detori. I'm sure the close proximity of the action figure recall to the release of the DVD is no accident.

Guess I should pick up a couple more red Clonetroopers while I can.

Should be interesting to see the new figures replace the old ones on the pegs.

SirSteve
10-22-2002, 10:01 PM
E-mail me this news so I can post it as well Dar' Argol! :)

Turbowars
10-22-2002, 10:23 PM
WOOHOOO I can't wait for Hasbens reps to come to my local TRU! There's about 100 JarJars on the pegs! I think they should take all JJB and make plastic explosives out of them! Man I can't wait to see pegs and pegs of Clone Pilots!!!

Dar' Argol
10-22-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve
E-mail me this news so I can post it as well Dar' Argol! :)

SirSteve, you still want that info emailed to you??? I saw the post on the front page

SirSteve
10-22-2002, 10:38 PM
Not now, but in the future if you could mail it to me prior to you posting it so I can jump on it ASAP, I'd appreciate it. :)

bigbarada
10-23-2002, 01:42 AM
Sounds good for us collectors, but bad for retailer confidence in the Star Wars line. At least Wal-Mart acknowledges that the assortment of figures makes a difference in collector interest, and that the collectors are the only thing keeping the line alive right now.

Old Fossil
10-23-2002, 09:15 AM
You hit the nail on the head, BigB. There was mention of 'collectors' in the Wal-Mart memorandum, wasn't there?

Too bad Hasbro didn't make these arrangements for Episode I. But it looks like they're learning from their mistakes. Wal-Mart could reduce their overall SW action figure stock by half, and still make a nice profit, if only they had new assortments of figures up. That translates to more orders for big H. Good move all around.

I, too, wonder what'll happen to the recalled pegwarmers. Seems like repackaging and retooling them would be too costly. Will they ship them to sell in other countries?

JEDIpartner
10-23-2002, 09:24 AM
I hate to say this really needed to be done about 2 months ago, but at least it's happening. It's a bad thing to have stale inventory clogging the shelf for so long. It causes the shopper to go elsewhere as they give up on the prospect of finding anything new there.

Well done, Wal*Mart!!!

wicket5
10-23-2002, 11:07 AM
They did this same thing for episode 1 figures and eventually they all shipped back to the stores as part of the clearance sale.

sith_killer_99
10-23-2002, 01:11 PM
?

Prince Xizor
10-23-2002, 02:41 PM
They did this for Episode I?

Beast
10-23-2002, 02:51 PM
Yep, TRU shipped tons of the first waves of E1 figures back to Hasbro that were pegwarming. I think the other stores did it as well, or maybe it was TRU only, because they were stuck with so much more then the others. But I remember both Hasbro and TRU workers going around and clearing the pegs, and boxing figures up for return to Hasbro. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Prince Xizor
10-23-2002, 02:52 PM
What did they do with them afterwards?

Beast
10-23-2002, 03:06 PM
I know that I recall reading that Hasbro gave alot of them away to Toys for Tots and other charities. Some of them showed up again at TRU for clerance sales. Some I'm sure where shipped overseas to meet demand outside the US. And maybe they melted some of them down. Who knows for sure, since Hasbro never really says what they do with unsold figures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Prince Xizor
10-23-2002, 03:17 PM
Thanks.

Hopefully with the Saga toys, they will return them to Walmart and TRU for clearence sales. Then I could stock up on Army builders.

darksol28
10-23-2002, 03:36 PM
The WM I went to yesterday, with nothing but Jango's restocked their figures today! NOTHING but the same figures that were there two days ago!!! Do you think hasbro said they will only take back X amount of them? There is even more figures out, then before. :crazed:

jedikiss
10-23-2002, 04:28 PM
i heard that endor trooper was on the list to be returned and the reps are not distignuishish brearded and non-bearded variations because they both have same upc code. i'm just glad i got my 2 clean faced troopers already (no thanks to wm or retailers around me- the latest "new "basic figs were palpy and less #ed). other than that, it will be nice to see something different in the sw isle. i'm concerned now about wave 2 of the cantina sets. wave 1 is overstocked here- just like the SE band 2 packs in 98- overstocked wave 1 and 2 and never recieved wave 3.

Maximillian Phokas
10-23-2002, 05:20 PM
I think this is a job that's been long overdue. Everytime I go to Walmart seaching for that elusive Palpatine figure, it's the same: Kit Fistos, Senator Jar Jars and Arena Padmes. Plus, they stock the shelves so densely that as soon as you touch one shelf, all the figs fall down. This just shows you that NO ONE is looking for these figs anymore. I have seen a few Royal Guards, Dookus and Yodas make the shelves around here (NJ), and at least that's a sign that newer figs are making it to stores, but these figs have been out for months, so it's not like newer figs are replacing the older ones.

I think this is the classic case of Hasbro flooding the market with main stream figures, because the predominant belief is that kids 8 and unders still hold the largest market of SW buyers, and will want Anakins, Obi Wans and Padmes, while the collectors (i.e. those 8 year olds in the Vintage years) are searching for the secondary characters, or trying to build troop armies. Why do Palpatines come 1 or 2 to a box, while there are 3 or 4 Jar Jars? Why only 1 Dooku to 5 Mace Windus? So the collectors hover around the shelf space when new boxes are boing opened, the rare figs are taken as soon as they hit the shelves, and 5 more Padmes or Kit Fistos or C3-POs sit on the shelf. Poor marketing strategy by Hasbro, but also poor inventory setup by Walmart, Target, and TRU.

The downside to this is that Hasbro may just cancel an entire line of figures, rather than a select number. Along with the commion figs, this eliminates the rarer figures, like what happened to the TC-14 and R2-B1 figures - rarely made it to the shelves before they were axed and now go for $35 and up on eBay. If that's the case, the Chancellor Palpatine will become ever rarer, and thus harder to obtain for those like me who can't find him (at least at retail prices)

Prince Xizor
10-23-2002, 05:24 PM
You still haven't found a Palpatine? Damn, come up here, we got a million of him.

Maximillian Phokas
10-23-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Prince Xizor
You still haven't found a Palpatine? Damn, come up here, we got a million of him.

It's horrible! Haven't found a single one in all the Walmarts, Targets, TRUs or Kay-Bees here in Central NJ. Tell Hasbro to ship some my way if you see them :) I know that as soon as I shell out the $10 - $15 at my local comic book store, I'll see a slew of them at the stores the next time.

stad
10-23-2002, 06:23 PM
Don't shell that out for it, if it comes down to it, I'll pick one up for you at cost!

Maximillian Phokas
10-23-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by stad
Don't shell that out for it, if it comes down to it, I'll pick one up for you at cost!

That would be great! Maybe such hard to find figures eventually turn into pegwarmers of their own - kind of like the 1995 POTF lando and boba fetts that eventually ended up all over the place.

I do remember a few years back the TRU by me picked up all the trooper figures, and threw them in a bargain bin for $2 each, and were gone in a weekend. I was able to get 4 or 5 Stormtroopers, Snowtroopers, Royal Guards etc. Along with those were Emperor Palpatines and Bib Fortunas, so maybe the Chancellor will end up "bargain binned" too, as a result of Hasbro's impending sweep :)

PS - I like your quote

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-23-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Twodot Tatooine
Too bad Hasbro didn't make these arrangements for Episode I. But it looks like they're learning from their mistakes.

That may be true, but I think both Hasbro and retailers are reliving one of their biggest mistakes from the Episode 1 retail line. That is the assumption that everybody and their grandmother, on average, will collect 12.4 Saga figures.

The retailers should have realized that they made the same blunder in 99' by way overordering the initial waves of the Ep1 line. We can't really blame them in 99' because back then they assumed because this was the first SW movie in 16 years, that they would sell them in droves. But it turns out they overestimated the amount of people who were collecting figures.

Hasbro could have stated for the Saga line, "okay, even though stores have ordered 'x' amount of figures for their stores, we are only going to produce 'y' because we realize that 'x' might be too great a number. If they studied their history, they should have come up with a ballpark figure of how many figures to produce.

Turbowars
10-24-2002, 12:03 AM
Hasbro do research? No way

Bryan Segal
10-24-2002, 12:40 AM
you know all these figures are going to be put into some new SAMS Club 3 figure multi pack and sold in time for christmas. It is the way of things, just like they did way back when the other 3 packs were released. Then all the hard core collectors will have to buy them so that they can pretend to have something that is $3.00 dollars more than the original figures by themselves. I really hope they keep the army builders out. Oh, and I find more of the hard to find figures at K-Mart then I do Wal-Mart.

Dar' Argol
10-24-2002, 04:25 PM
Alright everyone, The Hasbro reps just stopped in today and here's the Offical List opf the 18 figs that are being sent back:

Collection 1
Super Battle Droid
Kit Fisto
Padme Amidala
C-3PO
Mace Windu (Geonosain)
Zam Wesell
Han Solo (Endor Raid)
Chewbacca (Cloud City)
Luke Skywalker (Bespin)

Collection 2
Shaak Ti
Captian Typho
Female Tuskin Raider w/child
Battle Droid
Jar Jar Binks
Qui-Gon Jinn
Endor Rebel Soldier
Orn Free Taa
Djas Puhr

That's all 18! If you want any of those figs and have been waiting, I highly suggest going out today and getting them, if your store still has them. I suspect by no later then the end of next week, all WM store will have returned these figs. And they are not leaving any behind. If I get any more info I'll post it, and if there are any questions, ask away:D.

Battle Droid
10-24-2002, 04:36 PM
Cool, thanks for the list Dar' Argol. :)

Beast
10-24-2002, 05:03 PM
Damn, just because I still need C-3PO and a replacement Tusken Mommy. Oh well, I guess that I get to go figure hunting this week. Must complete the collection before I have to hunt Ebay for them. Isn't shipping back the Chewbacca's and the Endor Rebel Soldiers kinda stupid? Especially since they arn't going to distinguish the goatee/no goatee ERS's. And send back some of those damn Jango: Final Battle's. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sith Lord 0498
10-24-2002, 05:29 PM
And no ANAKIN OUTLAND PEASANTS?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!

That should be numero uno on their hit list!!

Battle Droid
10-24-2002, 05:30 PM
I still don't have that Anakin, don't want it either.

Beast
10-24-2002, 05:32 PM
I actually haven't seen to many of the Anakin: Outland Peasent Disguise figures. But I agree, I would have added him to the list in place of the army builder type of figures. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

thespar
10-24-2002, 11:03 PM
odd list you would think that more of the 1st 27 would be one the hit list. the odd ones are chewie and the bounty hunter.

Prince Xizor
10-24-2002, 11:07 PM
Where's Taun We on that list? That damn thing is everywhere, and it's the worst toy in the line.

Beast
10-24-2002, 11:16 PM
Taun We isn't peg warming in most areas, apperantly. I know that I haven't seen one of her in a while. I think some of the choices are good ones, but other ones make no sense at all.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
10-24-2002, 11:59 PM
Dar you don'y happen to know when WalMart plans on getting new stuffin do you?

JesusFreak
10-25-2002, 01:05 AM
Hehe, the newest thing in my Wal-Mart is the Endor Rebel Soldier wave. So hopefully there'll be some new figures because of this.

bigbarada
10-25-2002, 01:15 AM
Very odd assortment of figures on that list, most of those aren't even pegwarmers in my area (especially not the Cloud City Chewie). I was thinking about possibly maybe picking up a Typho, but oh well.:) I guess I don't really want him after all.

Luke Bespin? That's an odd choice also. Exactly where is he pegwarming? Personally I don't even like the figure, but I thought he was quite popular. Maybe the bloody stump/magnet stump/plastic stump thing ticked everybody off.

If anything Wal-Mart should box up and ship back all of those Cantina Bar sets. Talk about a retail flop. And my store still has a ton of Ellors Madak, Ketwol, Bespin Guards and Luke Bactas. Why doesn't Hasbro take those back?

Sith Lord 0498
10-25-2002, 02:15 AM
Actually, Luke Bespin is SERIOUSLY pegwarming in my area. The whole Bespin wave is as a matter of fact. I guess it all depends on what area you live in. Plus, the figures getting discarded may vary from Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart. They might be analyzing the situation from store to store. That seems to be the best way to do it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-25-2002, 05:41 PM
Well the only useful ones to send back for me are
*Kit Fisto (there's only 3 here, but every bit helps)
*Mace Windu
*Qui-Gon Jinn
*ERS
*Orn Free Taa

The others I haven't seen forever at WM. It's really stupid of them to send back the Battle Droid and not Jango, since BD is an army builder. Now ERS I don't mind cause he's the only real pegwarmer at my WM. :D

Banthaholic
10-25-2002, 06:50 PM
Went to Wal-mart again today, and still have the pegwarmers.

My question is this? Any chance of the Obi/Tyranus & Jango Deluxe being recalled? I'm not sure about your area but it seems everywhere I go they're warming pretty well.
Because of this we've been denied the C3PO/Yoda Wave, and I'm hoping not the latest Deluxe figures.

Dar' Argol
10-25-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Banthaholic
Went to Wal-mart again today, and still have the pegwarmers.

My question is this? Any chance of the Obi/Tyranus & Jango Deluxe being recalled? I'm not sure about your area but it seems everywhere I go they're warming pretty well.
Because of this we've been denied the C3PO/Yoda Wave, and I'm hoping not the latest Deluxe figures.

I would hope that the deluxe would be recalled. But I have not heard anything on this yet:(. I don't think anyone has been "denied" the C-3PO/Yoda wave. I haven't even seen it come in the back door yet;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-25-2002, 08:22 PM
Go to Target, they have C-3PO . . .

Banthaholic
10-25-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
Go to Target, they have C-3PO . . .
Not at my Target. I have a job that lets me check the stores a minimum of 4 times a week, and because of the excess jango/obi/tyranus there is no room.

I was fortunate enough weeks past while driving cross state to stop at Wal-mart on the grand-opening weekend and picked uo enough goods to keeo me up to date.

My point of the matter is that recall is good!

Old Fossil
10-25-2002, 11:13 PM
Well, the pegs have been cleared at my local Wally World. The stock looks to be reduced by at least half, maybe a little more. I can't wait for 'em to fill up again with NEW FIGURES!!!

I can actually browse through the pegged figures now without starting an avalanche...

rynobot
10-26-2002, 01:15 AM
My Gettysburg WM completley moved their SW toys. THey were moved around the office supplies list along with the Harry Potter junk. The only deluxe figures they have are the Cantina Sets, I wish they would have some of the new deluxe sets, with my luck they probably have cases of them in the back and will end up putting them out after I found them some where else.

gsr-jedi
10-26-2002, 05:01 AM
Went by the Super Wal-Mart today and they had NO basic figs at all, just some Cantinas and Nexus. Bring on the Clone Pilots & Ephant Mon.

hango fett
10-26-2002, 07:20 AM
i went to my local wal-mart last night. i noticed that the pegs have a few empty spots in them. then i look up. i don't see gobs fo figures on the top shelf. i see 12" figures on the top shelf surrounded by jango room alarms. looks like that wal-mart has been checked out becasue there is no wazy they could have sold all the figures that were on the top shelf...it went up about a foot high!
h

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-27-2002, 11:59 AM
I went to my WM last night! Hallelujia!
All the pegwarmers were gone (except for 1 Qui-Gon, 1 3PO, 1 Typho, and 1 ERS) and they put out some of the figures they had in the back. I finally got Ki-Adi-Mundi!!! They had only 1 of him, along with 3 Teemtos. They had 1 R2 (which I haven't seen for at least 3 months), 1 Luminara (same here) and a few Boba Fetts (again, same story). I had the last 3 I mentioned, but they should have no problem clearing out now!
They also had 4 Gunships and 4 Arena playsets. I love you Wal-Mart!!! :D

Sinister Lord
10-27-2002, 02:37 PM
My local Target had a lot of these pegwarmers on sale today, for $2.99. I picked up a few that I'd been holding off getting until a sale, C-3PO, Kit Fisto, and Taun We. Nice to get a cheaper price on those.

bigbarada
10-28-2002, 02:50 AM
The more I think about this, the more I realize that this doesn't bode well for the Star Wars line in general. The pegwarmer situation for Ep1 was bad, but I don't ever remember hearing about an 18 figure recall less than 6 months after the movie premiered.

Wal-Mart can read this three ways:

1. people just aren't that interested in Star Wars toys anymore

OR

2. we all hated Ep2

OR

3. Hasbro overproduced everything (again) and kept shipping the same figures months after demand had been met

Hasbro can read this in three ways also:

1. the fanbase for Star Wars is dwindling and the toy line's days are numbered

OR

2. Ep2 did little to revive fan interest and bring back the people turned off by Ep1

OR

3. we all just really hated the gimmicks and lame poses

Of course, the correct answer for both if #3. But that would entail Hasbro blaming itself for mucking everything up. Why do that and hurt their image when they can just blame the fans for losing interest?:rolleyes:

Beast
10-28-2002, 03:43 AM
BigB, people were saying the exact same thing for the E1 line, and it continued for over a year, and then led into the POTJ line. So I don't think you need to worry about the success or failure for the Saga Line. Around 16-18 figures were pulled out of TRU in 1999, when the stores overordered.

TRU also forced Hasbro's hand into not making any new Gungan, Neimodian, and Female Charecters, which hasn't happened this time. The stores just stupidly got greedy again, and Hasbro is trying to rectify matters by taking back some of the over-ordered merchandise back, so that the stores can get some newer figures in.

The Saga line, according to Hasbro and sales estimates, has done a lot better sales wise, then the E1 line ever did. They just overestimated the popularity of some of the charecters. The case assortments were well packed though. Hasbro made sure to keep shipping Yoda and Dooku to meet the insane demand for those two figures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
10-28-2002, 03:58 AM
Yoda's popularity explosion from Ep2 was a bus that Hasbro missed out on big time. Just think of all the possibilities for Yoda toys that could have been made for Christmas time:

6" Yoda with lightsaber
15" plush Yoda with lightsaber and electronics
Yoda lightsaber (kid sized)
Yoda costumes
Yoda bedsheets
Yoda underoos

The list goes on and on. A goldmine Hasbro let slip through their fingers. Most likely, though, Yoda will have another fight scene for Ep3 (for no other reason than in response to the popularity of his first fight scene), maybe Hasbro will be on the ball for that one.

Anyways, I was gone for all of 2000, so I missed the ugly, drawn-out death of the Ep1 line. Maybe I am just making too much out of this. Although, it can't be a good thing. Especially when retailers start to consider the amount of Star Wars product they want to order for 2003.

Beast
10-28-2002, 04:25 AM
Well, a 12" scale Yoda is in the works. And an electronic Yoda Lightsaber is on the way. Plus we have another Yoda figure this year, and atleast 1 more next year. That should satisfy the kiddies demands for all things Yoda. From Hasbro's point of view, who knew that Yoda was gonna drive people crazy. After all his E1 figure wasn't a super hot seller. Atleast they made 2 figures so far. :)

Yeah, 2000 was really bad for the E1 line. Alot of things were tough to find. The only reason I have the Sio Bibble wave, was that I actually ordered a case of that one to make sure I got them. I ordered a case of the Jar Jar (Naboo Swamp) wave also, due to the 1 per case deal, but I luckily found more in the store. TC-14 and R2-B1 were luckily abundant here at the end. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lyet
10-28-2002, 08:52 AM
I went to my local Wally-World yesterday, and they had already taken the old ones off the shelf....but left all the Taun-Wees?!?! I also saw something odd for this store. There was A Yoda on the rack still. Also present we about 6 Dookus, which I've never seen in that store. A very odd sight indeed.

Darth Vellner
10-28-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
The more I think about this, the more I realize that this doesn't bode well for the Star Wars line in general. The pegwarmer situation for Ep1 was bad, but I don't ever remember hearing about an 18 figure recall less than 6 months after the movie premiered.

Wal-Mart can read this three ways:

1. people just aren't that interested in Star Wars toys anymore

OR

2. we all hated Ep2

OR

3. Hasbro overproduced everything (again) and kept shipping the same figures months after demand had been met

Hasbro can read this in three ways also:

1. the fanbase for Star Wars is dwindling and the toy line's days are numbered

OR

2. Ep2 did little to revive fan interest and bring back the people turned off by Ep1

OR

3. we all just really hated the gimmicks and lame poses

Of course, the correct answer for both if #3. But that would entail Hasbro blaming itself for mucking everything up. Why do that and hurt their image when they can just blame the fans for losing interest?:rolleyes:

Even though I may agree with you some...
I think "D - None of the above" is the answer...
What you are saying is more what a "Star Wars fan" and "Collector" would think...
I dont think "Wal-Mart" pays much attention to what people think about a movie or the toys they sell from that movie..??

I look at this thing like ....MILK!

Wal-mart gets the milk
If the milk sits on the shelf to long they pull the "old" milk to make room for the "new"and "fresh" milk
No one buys expired milk...But, they will not stop selling it if no one is buying the old milk...they just get new milk to sell:greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy:

Rogue II
10-28-2002, 11:34 AM
I think it is a distribution policy problem. Didn't KEBCo say in a previous thread that Hasbro makes vendors purchase a certain amount of figures or cases up front? I thought that is why there were so many figures from the first couple waves. It starts a chain reaction that backs up the following waves.

By the way, I was at a local Walmart this weekend. They still had all of the figures that are on the list, plus they still had preview Clonetrooper and R3 figures. I haven't had any luck with new figures at that particular Walmart.

Beast
10-28-2002, 11:41 AM
Hasbro makes stores do a minimum $10,000 (I think it is now) order, to become a dealer of the product. It used to be $5,000 with a $2,000 re-order policy. But that $10,000 can be any product. Action Figures, 12" Figures, Vehicles, Roleplay Toys, etc. It doesn't even have to be all Star Wars stuff, and you can even have the $10,000 order staggered thru the year, if your a smaller shop. Of course that was what I last recall, it's been a few years and things could have changed again. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
10-29-2002, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Rouge II
I think it is a distribution policy problem. Didn't KEBCo say in a previous thread that Hasbro makes vendors purchase a certain amount of figures or cases up front? I thought that is why there were so many figures from the first couple waves. It starts a chain reaction that backs up the following waves.

Your both kinda right. If you look in case assortments and look at the pack Qty's, you'll see a lot of repeats in several different assortments. That was the problem, they would sent out a few newer figs, with a whole case of what was already out. IF they released a whole new case, wil all new figs in it, there would not be this back log.

Turbowars
10-29-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol

Your both kinda right. If you look in case assortments and look at the pack Qty's, you'll see a lot of repeats in several different assortments. That was the problem, they would sent out a few newer figs, with a whole case of what was already out. IF they released a whole new case, wil all new figs in it, there would not be this back log. OK This is why it happens, so why does Hasbro continue to do it? I'm tell ya, Hasbro needs to hire a few collectors to get this line on it's feet!

Beast
10-29-2002, 06:46 PM
Actually, the case ratios change so much to try to keep the newer figures in greater numbers, and to ship less of the pegwarmers. If you look at the different case assortments, they all seem to be perfect. Hasbro shipped a few to many Zam Wessel's, expecting her to be a hot figure. As soon as it was apperant she wasn't, they dropped her from future cases. The problem is anticipating who is going to be hot, and who is not.

Just look at Yoda, he's never been a huge seller. But AOTC's made him a hit with casual fans and kids, so he was flying off the shelves. Hasbro adjusted the cases to ship more Yoda's. Rember that what is new to you guys, may not even have been seen in some areas. So hot and newer figures have to continue to be included in future cases so people can actually find them. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
10-29-2002, 07:02 PM
Ok Jar, this is true, but if you look at what was being sent back, you see where they sent too much. For example, Padme was in 4 different assortments. Shaak Ti was in only 3, bit she also had a Qty of 6 in the large assortment. I think that each of the new figs should have a large show in their inital shipping, then if Hasbro wants to put them out again, do them as a 1-2 per case after and only run that for 1 additional case. This would cut back on a lot of peg warmers out there.

thespar
10-29-2002, 11:35 PM
i just took another look at the recall list almost all of the first four movie fig where recall form the first 40 minus Vader.

Banthaholic
10-30-2002, 12:14 AM
I just got back from my local Wal-mart again, for the 5th day in a row. Still the same peg-warmers that have gained dust for the past 5 weeks.

Hopefully they'll be sent back soon.

Although I must say if there ever was a course on how not to run a toy department I swear that manager must have taken it.
During May and June when Episode 2 was at it's prime interest, they had the figures on a back isle by the bikes, and nothing sold,
Then in mid August the Star Wars section was moved to a central isle, a little too late.

Maximillian Phokas
10-30-2002, 12:34 AM
Well I just checked out the stores in the Central NJ area, and all are mostly cleaned out of the pegwarmers, BUT the shelves were stocked with many of the newer figures.

The good news for me is that I FINALLY got a Chancellor Palpatine that was almost impossible to find around here. I did a little asking around and found some interesting (albeit obvious to some people) news: most stores have figures lying around in the back rooms, but will not put them out until the ones on the shelves are taken. with so many C-3POs, Amidalas, Kit Fistos and Nikto Jedis sitting there, newer stock never reached the customers. Now that a good chunk have been removed, out come the Dookus, Yodas, Royal Guards, and yes, the Palpatines that have been sitting around sometimes for weeks.

On top of that, some of us have been throwing around the idea that perhaps the reason for all the figures lying aorund is that the Star Wars line is waning. A remote possibility in my eves since whenever the new waves come out to the stores, we're flocking to the nearest TRUs, Walmarts, Targets, etc we can find. Because we all buy them in bulk on Day 1, whatever's left sits around forever, and stores see the initial demand as a sign they have to order truck loads more. The same TRU I've been going to for years (since the Vintage Era), had no one going near the SW stuff for months. All of a sudden, the newer figures are reaching the shelves, and people are coming back. Let this be a lesson for Walmart and TRU: don't flood the market!

Old Fossil
10-30-2002, 11:49 AM
I think next year will be the last good year for us Classic Trilogy-focused collectors. Too many collectors are running out of space, out of money, and out of patience; and there are only so many resculpts that are needed and that folks are willing to buy. I know that there hasn't been much motivation for me to buy Star Wars lately.

Somehow the line will continue until a few months beyond Episode III, then that will be that, pretty much.

Beast
10-30-2002, 01:31 PM
Twodot Tatooine, the line will continue atleast thru 2008, because that's how long the contract is with Lucasfilm. It's a different era then the vintage years, when toys needed a movie in the theaters to sell really well. The line survived so far from 1995-1998 with no new movie.

The only thing that I think would stop Hasbro from continuing to make Star Wars figures, would be if Lucas himself again didn't want them to. That's what happened when the vintage line died. Hasbro had some ideas to start a EU line, that would also include figures that had never been made before.

Lucas decided that the time of Star Wars figures was over, and didn't want the toy company creating their own EU just to sell toys. I doubt the same will happen this time, because Hasbro could go for years with the charecters that still need to be made from the OT as well as the PT. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
10-30-2002, 01:56 PM
I did some researching into it and JJB is right. Lucas actually told Kenner to stop producing the action figures (they had two more waves planned out after the initial 17 POTF figure - to include Tarkin and a TIE Bomber).

Although 2008 seems like kind of wishfull thinking, because once the retailers stop ordering new toys, the line will die. Regardless of how much time is left on the liscense.

I expect about the middle of next year we will start to see more collector focused figures again and things will look rosey for a couple of years. Then Ep3 will come along and screw everything up and after another year of garbage clogging the shelves, things will go back to a collector focused market for as long as we stick around.

Beast
10-30-2002, 02:06 PM
Yarna D'al Gargan was planned for that period also. Hasbro released Tarkin and the TIE Bomber, so they should hurry up and do her now also, because she was planned at the time the original line died. Come on Hasbro, you know you want to make her. And while your at it, make somemore Jabba's Palace aliens. :)

I think the line will definatly live thru 2008, perhaps longer if the line gets renewed. It may not seem to sell well when the stores are flooded with product, but it's still one of the Top 5 Action Figure toys. I believe it's number 3 right now, behind Power Rangers and somthing that escapes me right now. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Maximillian Phokas
10-30-2002, 05:49 PM
What about vehicles and large figures? The vintage line had almost every vehicle in the movies (except the TIE Bomber in non-die-cast form) as well as an array of those "Mini-Rigs" (CAP-2, MTV-7, PDT-8), but we see little incentive for production today, aside from the main starfighters and a few playset vehicles. Is it price? I mean who wanted to pay $50 for Luke Skywalker's X-Wing fighter when both Luke and R2 were molded into the ship - basically a show piece? I also can see the Royal Naboo Starship at my local TRU, marked down for the umpteenth time, and now we have another remake of Slave 1, and another X-Wing. Has Hasbro decided to axe some of their vehicle lines too? They seem to be doing the poorest with customers, not only in quantity (un)available (not to mention store exclusives), but also in price (again, $40 for a Republic Gunship???)

There were also additional lines planned for the Vintage Large Doll collection, one with a perfect likeness of Lando. Now, aside from the Bounty Hunter line (can't wait for Zuckuss!), all we see are different variations of Obi-Wan, Anakin, Luke, or Han Solo. Again, poor marketing strategy on selecting what to make, or just another case of flooding the market with stuff no one's really interested in buying, or can afford?

bigbarada
10-31-2002, 01:04 AM
The market for vehicles and playsets seems to have been drying up little by little in the last decade. I remember in the vintage Star Wars and GI Joe:ARAH lines, the vehicles were the key to the line. Back then Kenner knew the focus of the Star Wars line, it was vehicle driven and the figures were, in some respects, simply vehicle accessories (since compromises were made to their sculpt and scale to insure that almost every figure fit into every vehicle - with only a few understandable exceptions).

I was thinking about this recall and then I remembered my lessons in Star Wars toy history. The exact same thing happened to the old 12/21 backs just before ESB came out. The figures were clogging the pegs for so long that retailers basically told Kenner that, unless they arranged for a recall of ALL of the figures on the shelves, they would not order ANY ESB figures (nobody expected ESB to be a success, so Kenner was lucky those retailers wanted to order their new action figures at all - sequels were NEVER as successful as the original films back then). So Kenner arranged to have the figures shipped back, where they were recarded under the ESB logo (this is how we ended up with a handful of 'small head' Han Solo figures on ESB cards, there has never been a report of a 'vinyl cape' Jawa on an ESB card though).

Banthaholic
10-31-2002, 01:24 AM
Tthere has never been a report of a 'vinyl cape' Jawa on an ESB card though).
Check out this thread on GalacticHunter
http://www.galactichunter.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Vintage&Number=14484&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

187-Maul
10-31-2002, 10:57 AM
hey Maximillian Phokas, ytou're complining about the gunship being 40$ ? sometimes you guys in the US really don't know what you are complaining about
I have to pay 69 euros (~70US$) in toysrus for it if I want one!:mad:

bigbarada
11-01-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Banthaholic

Check out this thread on GalacticHunter
http://www.galactichunter.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Vintage&Number=14484&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Okay, I stand corrected. Either that is a very clever forgery or a gold mine. I could easily see that figure reaching Double-Telescoping Vader or Vlix status. Cool, thanks for the update Banthaholic!:cool:

$40 for the Gunship was an incredible deal, considering it's size and all the features. The Imperial Shuttle was $40 back in 1984, and all that had was a flimsy wing lowering mechanism and an electronic buzzing noise. I honestly don't know why people complain so much and so ignorantly. You'd think they wanted every single new Star Wars toy delivered right to their door, months early and completely free of charge. Well, in the real world that kind of thing doesn't happen to us working-class stiffs.

Old Fossil
11-01-2002, 12:10 PM
WELL, WELL. Picked up Lott Dodd & 2 Tuskens w/massifs at Wally World today! First time I've seen 'em at retail. What fun to come home with new figures!!! Seems the Clearing of the Pegs is helping bring the old stock out of the back.

I passed on Teemto, Ki-Adi, and Watto.

187-Maul
11-01-2002, 07:17 PM
you passed on Ki-Adi Mundi? he's really a great figure, much better then the E1 version, and you can put him in a cool force-push pose with the right hand

I wish my toysrus would finally put out some new figs and reduce the price 50% (so they would be at least a bit less expensive (6US$ then)) put I don;t see that happening soon considering this is Europe:cry:

Old Fossil
11-02-2002, 12:23 AM
I already have the EpI version of Ki, and the new one just doesn't look different enough to warrant buying it.

By the way, JarJar, thanks for the info! I learn something new every week here.

bigbarada
11-02-2002, 01:27 AM
My Wal-Mart took this opportunity to cut their Star Wars shelf space to less than half of what it was and didn't put out a single new figure. They just condensed all the figures that weren't recalled into six rows (two of those rows overflowing with POTJ pegwarmers). They used all the extra shelf space to expand their Harry Potter display. So it looks like things didn't exactly work out as planned over here.

If I were still collecting, I think I would be a little ticked.

Maximillian Phokas
11-02-2002, 01:34 AM
This hit or miss at Walmarts may simply be the result of certain stores not getting around to ordering more figs. I went to a Walmart by me, and came up with the same story: empty shelves, save for Darth Vaders, Obi Wans and Jango Fetts. I'd say give'em time. Eventually all the Walmarts will have restocked their shelves: Christmas IS coming. And of course by January or so, we'll all be complaining about another generation of peg-warmers :)

JesusFreak
11-02-2002, 02:21 PM
Well this happened in my Wal-Mart and I am so glad :D

The only 4/23 figure they had was Taun We which wasn't there before. They had Mace Windu, Tusken w/ Massif, Lott Dod, Jango Pilot, and Padmé Pilot. Much better than what they used to have :)

Oh and BigB at my Wal-Mart they took out the LOTR figures to expand Harry Potter space. I'm glad they didn't cut down the Star Wars space though since I don't collect LOTR. I still don't see why Harry Potter needs more space. So what if there's a new movie coming out, there's a new LOTR too! Hopefully when Wal-Mart gets the TTT stuff they'll just cut the HP stuff back to normal and not cut in on SW's space.

Old Fossil
11-02-2002, 05:46 PM
I keep looking for LOTR figures to hit my Wal-Mart, but so far, no dice. Some fool put some Spider-Man toys between the Star Wars and Harry Potter toys, far from the other Spider-Man toys in that department.

JesusFreak, I'm gonna have to make a run to WM now that I read you found a Jango Pilot! I'm one of the few here who's been actually looking forward to that figure.

Bigbarada, I didn't know you had stopped collecting. Gone cold turkey???

JesusFreak
11-02-2002, 07:37 PM
JesusFreak, I'm gonna have to make a run to WM now that I read you found a Jango Pilot! I'm one of the few here who's been actually looking forward to that figure.

Yeah, that's the figure they had the most of. There were two or three pegs full of him.

Turbowars
11-02-2002, 07:42 PM
WOW, if the were 2 to 3 pegs of Jango, then there must have been like 5 pegs full of Clone Pilots. Very cool!

Dar' Argol
11-02-2002, 09:07 PM
The reason that Potter is expanting and SW is shrinking is this. The counter that Potter and SW is on is called the "License Counter". This counter changes from time to time with differant stuff. The directive from home office right now is to make Potter 12' and SW 8'. The logic behind this is that Potter 2: Chamber of Secrets is comming out on 11/15, so there will be more demand for that then SW right now. Fret not though, we are not getting rid of SW. And the new LOTR stuff should appear on that counter sometime after Christmas, in preperation of The Two Towers.

Old Fossil
11-02-2002, 09:47 PM
Thanks DA! But isn't 'The Two Towers' due out before Christmas, not after?

Dar' Argol
11-02-2002, 11:21 PM
I thinkg so Twodot Tatooine, but its like RIGHT before X-mas. I think their thinking is that not a lot of kids will see it b/4 X-Mas but more would see Potter and want the toys before then.

I don't know, I don't make up the rules:crazed:

bigbarada
11-03-2002, 12:32 PM
Bigbarada, I didn't know you had stopped collecting. Gone cold turkey???

Pretty much. I might buy those Trash Compactor Screen Scenes next year; but other than that, I'm done with Star Wars collecting (too expensive and too frustrating). I find myself just coming here out of habit nowadays.

Turbowars
11-03-2002, 12:35 PM
How could you just stop?! SW collecting is like a drug for me.

JEDIpartner
11-03-2002, 12:38 PM
I know I certainly can't stop... in fact, my collecting tendencies have just gotten "worse" over time!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-03-2002, 12:40 PM
YAHOO!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday, Wal-Mart had TA Anakins, ST Mauls, CA Padmés, SIP Jangos, and Wattos by the cartfuls! Hot diggity damn! However, I didn't get any seeing as how my birthday's in less than a month and I need to get some presents . . .

Old Fossil
11-03-2002, 01:06 PM
Cool find, JabbaJohnL!

I hear you, turbowars & JEDIPartner. Though I've spent less on the hobby in the last couple of months than I can believe. I've tried quitting before, but always seem to regret it. I've come to accept that there will be slow periods of collecting for me, and try to enjoy the collection I have during those times, and to use the slow times for filling in gaps in my collection and for buying supplies, like figure stands and star cases.

Glad you're still hanging out here sometimes, BigB.

Turbowars
11-03-2002, 01:37 PM
There was one a time around 99 that I stopped, due to a bad divorce. I was so drained I didn't care about anything, maybe some of you understand. Anyways, nothing is going to stop what I like to do again. At least not a cheating wife! LOL. ;)

jedihunter25
11-03-2002, 04:05 PM
My Walmart FINALLY got rid of the peg warmers and put out new figs yesterday. I picked up 3 Clone Pilots and 1 Tuskin Raider- I pre-ordered the rest from Kebco almost 2 months ago and they still haven't come. I'm really starting to get ****ed off when I've paid for these figs two months ago and see these figs on the shelves for the last couple of weeks at TRU, Target, KB Toys, and now finally yesterday at Walmart. I was going to pre-order Ephant Mon, Clone Trooper Deluxe, and Flying Geonosian Deluxe- but I don't want to wait till spring with as long as they take.

bigbarada
11-04-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by turbowars
How could you just stop?! SW collecting is like a drug for me.

It was a drug for me too, that's why I had to quit. Trying to keep up with the new releases and fill in the gaps in my vintage collection literally drove me into bankruptcy (I filed for Chapter 7 in June, had the hearing in August and finally recieved the paperwork stating that I was bankrupt last week). Now that I was given a chance to start over financially, there was no way that I was going to dig myself into the same hole by continuing to buy the stuff; so I had to quit. It wasn't a matter of wanting to or not wanting to.

Ephant Mon just happened to be the last figure on my childhood wishlist to be made into a toy, so the timing seemed to be right to just walk away. No regrets either.

Old Fossil
11-04-2002, 07:59 AM
Bigbarada, my wife and I filed Ch.7 in June of 2001. It was the best thing we ever did (aside from marrying each other!). I've found that I still collect, but I pay for all my toys with cash; and there have been no outlandish purchases: the most expensive items I've bought have been ships, the TIE Bomber and TIE Interceptor, and those were purchased months apart.

I also quit ordering stuff online, for the most part (the Interceptor being an exception). Online ordering is too darn easy. If Wal-Mart doesn't have it, then I generally don't get it. I miss out on some things, but WM is one of the best sources for finding toys at retail anyway, so I don't mind not getting another store's exclusive from time to time.

Turbowars
11-04-2002, 07:08 PM
HEY Big B, I claimed THE BIG B in 1998 and yes it was the best thing at the time, I went through a divorce, so it had to happen ayways, there was no way I was going to pay for crap that I didn't have. Anyways I can't give up the thing that makes me happy besides my new wife.;)

tgr3328
11-06-2002, 05:45 PM
Ok, so what will they do with the recalled figures? Wouldn't it have made more sense just the clearance the ones that weren't rather than pay reps to come out, box them up, and ship them out?

I have put off buying Typho, Padme Arena, R2 D2, Battle Droid, and Kit Fisto thinking they will be on clearance some day. Maybe I will see them in the Dollar Store!:rolleyes:

Obi-wedge
11-06-2002, 07:47 PM
Search your Targets. All of those figs you listed are now $2.99