PDA

View Full Version : I don't mind exclusives, but.......

darth chuck
10-22-2002, 12:56 PM
I understand that exclusives help us to get figs that we would otherwise never see produced, however, this doesn't help if you don't have access to the exclusives.

I have been to every Target within 50 miles and they all have empty pegs labeled "accessory sets". I don't know if some of these stores ever got any in, since I have been going to one every day looking for these things. I would like to buy them. I want to buy them. I am a consumer trying to buy Hasbro merchandise - but I can't if it isn't there. Why give an exclusive to a retailer if they aren't going to sell it? By the way, Target is notorious for this, remember the Y-Wing and Skiff?

Maybe this isn't true everywhere, maybe it's just Kentucky.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-22-2002, 05:32 PM
Errm, I think it's just Kentucky. :D

Really, I have a kind of hard time finding the Accessory Sets, but I have seen them on numerous occasions (and have the Arena one). Y-Wing, I got that for $10 at Target but never got enough money for the Skiff (now it goes for a lot).
But Target is selling them - everybody has them, except for the few who got there later than everybody else (and me :D ). :)

Vortex
10-22-2002, 07:24 PM
Funny thing w/ toys is, just because its made doesn't mean a store has to carry or have it.

All this stuff is pre-ordered months in advance by the Headquarters. They buy so much to fill a contract or by taking a guess as to how well it will do, and then they distribute it to their various regional stores. If a store isn't selling through their original stock, odds are they won't get the new shipments. The new stuff will go to a store that is selling through stock.

I work downtown Minneapolis and the Target HQ and store is just right down the block and I stop in almost every day for lunch or to shop and I've only found 1 set - the hoth set. After that the SW display shrank down more, and I haven't seen any in Minnesota either. They did hit though, a friend found a set for me, but I think it all depends on how well a store is moving merchandise of a similar sort.

I know in the months leading up to Ep there were a lot of local stores that didn't carry star wars anymore. Either the HQ didn't pre-order the later cases or the figures didn't move that well so the stores just stopped getting shipments.

I don't mean to be a downer, but there's no guarentee that it will show up. Those exclusives are short lived, and its hit or miss. I really can't see Target asking for more and taking a chance that they won't sell. They've turned their profit, they are happy, and they don't give 2 quirts about us missing out.

But its not KY. The HQ didn't even have them that long.

Darth Sidious
10-22-2002, 08:17 PM
I have given up on them EVER showing up. It's not just Kentucky, in Ohio (Well, my area at least) there are also the empty pegs (Labeled Accessory...blah blah blah). Screw Target. The proudest moment in my Target's life is when they got Captain Typho... :mad:

Jayspawn
10-22-2002, 10:14 PM
Worry no more Darth Chuck. My Target stores have NO accessory sets in seemed like forever. Then one day, BANG! They were everywhere. All of them. Patience.

"Let them have their accessory sets!"

JediTricks
10-22-2002, 11:57 PM
Here in Los Angeles, we never get good access to exclusives unless they're expensive ones like 12" Luke Speederbike or the TRU X-wing. Even then, only when it's a rehash is it really easy to find around here. I've not seen 1 Target accessory pack in LA since I first saw them and it's OFTEN like that.

Jedi Master Silas
10-26-2002, 03:15 AM
My Target in West Virginia sucks simply because the employees take the exclusives and sell them to the scummy scalpers. I never saw the Y-wing, Skiff, 12" Scout Trooper w/Speeder Bike....actually the only Target exclusive we have even seen was the Luke on Speeder Bike 12". We make the toy rounds very often. Managment at our Target doesnt care that this is common practise among employees....I even wrote Target and never got a response.:mad: :frus:

InsaneJediGirl
10-26-2002, 07:47 PM
I agree with you guys,Target is the worst when it comes to exclusives.

The only exclusive I saw there was Luke on Speederbike,but only because it was expensive and no one probably wanted it.:dead: :dead: I didnt see the acessory sets in my area:(,but a friend picked one up for me:DDistrubition is really hit and miss

LTBasker
10-26-2002, 07:53 PM
Only Target exclusives I've seen is 12" Tarpals, but after that single day they were gone. There were only two on the shelf and I could only afford one, I wonder if they even restocked them ever cause I only saw them at that one Target, and they had just come out. I wonder just how many cases of stuff they still have at their warehouses, or how many made it out to scalpers thanks to the never pleasant employees.

JediTricks
10-27-2002, 02:59 PM
IJG, Wal*mart is just as bad, if not worse in some cases. I have NEVER seen a boxed WM exclusive from the last 4 years except for 12" Luke w/ Yoda (which nobody wanted) and 1 lonely returned 12" Maul w/ Bike (which I bought).

Beast
10-27-2002, 03:19 PM
Well, that is California after all. They probably have the highest numbers of collectors and scalpers then anyone in the country. I've seen about a dozen TIE Bombers and Crashed Snowspeeders in my area. Same with the past 12" Wal-Mart exclusives. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Freedom
10-27-2002, 09:07 PM
I've been lucky enough to see them on a couple of occasions. All except the Endor accessory set and that was the one I wanted most.

Jedi Master Silas
10-29-2002, 03:13 AM
I dont have that problem with Wal Mart because I have made friends with the toy employees so they hide me one of everything that comes in. I did the same thing at TRU also. Most of the employees I meet are collectors too so in exchange for them getting items for me I keep an eye out for what they want when I go toy hunting. Maybe that might work for some of you guys. I still stand by my thoughts on Target..they suck.

mtriv73
11-12-2002, 04:10 PM
It looks like most of us are in agreement that Target handles exclusives very badly (Are you listening Hasbro?) Luckily, I got to Target as they were opening the day the Y-wings came out. Myself and three other collectors got the only case our target ever got before they were even put on the shelf. I've only seen the accessory sets 1 time. I can't believe that Target is so scared of having a few items left on the shelves to be marked down that they miss 10's to hundreds of potential sales per store by under ordering. I would love to buy more of the accessory sets, they're fantastic for customizing figures, but I guess they don't want my money.

If they would just make them availabel online and skip the stores altogether then that would be a step in the right direction. I wouldn't even mind pre-ordering (and pre-paying) a few months in advance so that they could order the correct amount.

OzOtter
11-13-2002, 05:03 PM
I'm all for that too.

Patient Zero
11-13-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by mtriv73
If they would just make them availabel online and skip the stores altogether then that would be a step in the right direction. I wouldn't even mind pre-ordering (and pre-paying) a few months in advance so that they could order the correct amount.

It will never happen with them! Online Target sales are run though Amazon.com. Amazon also does the online sales for TRU. Target online can not sell any toys using Amazon as a mediary because it would take away from the TRU sales. I believe they have something in writing about that, but I can't seem to find it right now. It does make sense though for Amazon to do this.

So should I just give up trying to find a Skiff!?! :cry: